My main problem with Minotaur aka Oni's legendary.

Justalittlepeeck
Justalittlepeeck Member Posts: 1,101
edited August 2020 in General Discussions

So, what were legendary skins been advertised as? "Completely new character, 2 characters in 1" and so on. A skin that turns ONE character with ONE personality and appearance into ANOTHER with ANOTHER personality and appearance.

In case of Lisa Garland, she kinda fit into that description, despite being a not very good skin: she had different lobby stance and generally looked like a different character as she definitely had a different personality compared to Cheril. People didn't like her because she didn't gave much changes for a 15$ skin, but she fit into description of legendary quality nonetheless.

Now. Guardian of Labyrinth aka Minotaur skin for Oni. Not only this skin doesn't have any changes, but it also doesn't fit into a description of "Completely new character" and here's why:

• Why is GREEK MYTHOLOGY BEAST using a JAPANESE weapon (Kanabo)?
  • Why is GREEK MYTHOLOGY BEAST that is HALF MAN HALF BULL charging like a SAMURAI?
  • Why is GREEK MYTHOLOGY BEAST mimicking Kazan's Yamaoka sword technicues (in the lobby, in the game during 2nd hit animation and so on)?

Not very major, but nonetheless:

• Why is GREEK MYTHOLOGY BEAST performing Kazan's Yamaoka SIGNATURE killing move? You can argue that ripping tongue and bashing them with a heavy weapon isn't very unique and it's pretty likely for a beast like Minotaur do something like that too and I can partly agree, but nonetheless it just adds up into "not so new character".
  • Why does Minotaur have THE SAME VOICE as Yamaoka Kazan? Yeah, Cheril and Lisa have the same voice, but remember that Lisa has unique lobby animation and different facial animations?

I suppose there are some minor changes (animation/sounds) but I haven't noticed them after 4 hours of playing Oni in new skin, so I assume there are none.

In the end, Minotaur skin is just a reskin of Oni. A beautiful one, undoubtly, but just a reskin which I personally CANNOT consider a separate character or LEGENDARY worthy. It is a Purple or Very rare skin, but NOT a LEGENDARY. He has NO unique personality. He is NOT a separate character, but just a purple skin for Oni that is posed as a legendary.

Now, what do I suggest to make this legendary skin BETTER. I'll start from simplest to hardest options in my opinion:

1. Make him different voice. Simply lower the pitch of already recorded voicelines, that'll do the trick.
  2. Give him new lobby animation. EVEN THAT would be enough to give Minotaur a unique personality.
  3. Create new animations for Demon Dash. Anything noticeable. For example if he additionally lowers his head horns forward like a bull (while Oni keeps his head straight).
  4. Create new mori animation. Yes. For example - he bashes a survivor with his kanabo/club multiple times or lifts them on his horns.
  5. Replace his Kanabo. With anything. A big bone, a wooden club, a mace, a n y t h i n g that is not a weapon associated with japanese warriors. An additional point for making a weapon associated with ancient Greece.

I hope you'll do what needs to be done and give Minotaur what he deserves. I've been disappointed in that skin, but I still have faith in you, Devs. Please do the right thing and give Minotaur personality.

@Almo @Peanits can I have your response/opinion on this topic? Is this how legendary skins are going to be? No changes or anything to separate them from main character theme?

Thank you, have a nice day

Post edited by Justalittlepeeck on

Comments