should survivors not be able to change their characters "last second"?

Options
noxy
noxy Member Posts: 12

hey guys ive been wondering about the new killer change where the killer cannot change who theyre going.

if they could do that i wonder if by some stretch they could change it for survivor as well. im saying this because there have been many survivors that will swap to another character who has an item and a build right as the timer locks the changes that could be made.

maybe they could make the timer sooner (for survivor) so that if survivors last swap the killer would still have a few seconds to change it up.

it tends to be a challenge when killers are doing a random build and see two survivors who didnt originally habve items swap to a fully decked out survivors with a key and medkit. if i had just a little more time to be able to make changes i wouldve brought franklins demise to let them not use it. I just find it slightly sad when im playing with my friendsin a survivor match, see them swap and when i ask them why their reasoning is i dont want the killer to know what item im running. when i play killer i find it slightly frustrating when i play with people like that because my expectations from them was that they were going that character.

Comments

• noxy
    Options

agreed i find it a problem when people are able change build in one press of a button but the killer cant because hed have to change his build so theyre forced to try and get rid of the survivor as fast as possible survivors having the same timer as killers allows them to hide their true build.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

Yes, you should be locked after loading into the lobby to prevent quickswitching. It's bad enough killers can no longer react very well to an obvious SWF or meta team, but survivors can still totally quickswitch and avoid what little setup you could potentially do.

• Ireath
    Ireath Member Posts: 91
    Options

I feel that killers would lobby dodge more but I guess if they see a last second switch they would just dc in the loading screen anyway.

I am unsure if there a solution that would make the majority of both sides happy.

I personally think both should be locked just for consistency.

• RakimSockem
    RakimSockem Member Posts: 1,972
    Options

Except I regularly switch between survivors to dump bloodpoints and then switch back to whichever one I feel like using as close to 5 seconds as possible to maximize use of my time

• noxy
    Options

i would say that too but i think there generally are players that dont want to play a certain survivor because thts not who they normally play an exapmle would be when they do their daily and it invovles a survivor that they usually dont play but they finished it and loaded into a match with the survivor they dont usually play. i feel they should at least have a moment to change to another survivor but not when the match is about to begin and the killer cant do anything about it

• noxy
    Options

cant you do that while youre waiting? why would you do that in the prep phase and not the matchmaking phase or even in the survivor menu?

• Dacrenon
    Dacrenon Member Posts: 207
    Options

Would anyone consider it a decent compromise to allow survivors to switch but any character switched-to would have no item, add-ons, or offering equipped?

It would still allow the non-toxic players to pump bloodpoints into a character they aren't playing, but would prevent the last-second keys/flashlights/toolboxes from appearing.

• Ireath
    Ireath Member Posts: 91
    Options

True I guess having a minute for both sides to tweak their loadouts would work but at that point you might as well not bother with locking character selections.

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274
    Options

While maybe not the most common sight, it is definitely an issue when it DOES happen. And fixing this would (in theory) be so incredibly easy that there's really not a strong argument why they shouldn't.

I even have two different solutions that I think would help resolve the issue:

A: Survivors do not maintain their item/add-on loadout when not selected. This means swapping to a new character in the lobby will reset them to holding nothing and the player with have to manually put their item and add-ons back on.

OR

B: Survivor characters are locked-in 20 seconds after a full lobby of 5 has been created (at 40 seconds left on the matchmaking cooldown), meaning players cannot change their survivor after this point. Survivors can still edit their loadouts up until the 5-second mark, just like killer can. This resets if any player backs out of the lobby before the countdown finishes.

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526
    Options

I can understand the last second switch for an item being an issue, but last second switching to a meta build makes 0 sense as the killer can't see the build anyway.

Killers being locked to a specific killer is supposed to help them learn new killers by pitting them against lesser experienced survivors, that being said I can't even remember the last time I saw a survivor switch out to an item.

• noxy
    Options

it honestly just gives people an unfair advantage that the other side cant do anything about

• RakimSockem
    Options

Idk how long the lobby is going to take so I ready up as soon as I can. There's no reason to sit there and do all the bloodpoint stuff and then ready up to search for a lobby which could take anywhere from 30 seconds to like 6 minutes depending on time of day and other factors.

The simple truth is the only reason to lock survivors in is an issue that rarely happens.

Killers are locked in for a good reason. Because with the new system, the matchmaking is being built around what killer they pick. A survivor swapping to another item makes little impact on the match. And you can still see it happen so if they bring a key last second, find them and kill them. Not that big of a deal

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526
    Options

Again, this is the killers fault.

Killer have been complaining for quite a while that they can't learn new killers or play killers they're bad with, BHVR have made it so each killer has their own MMR so you can get matched with lesser experienced players when you play with lesser experienced killers, now killers are complaining about this, they literally can't win lol.

Besides, if you're losing because someone brings in a medkit or a flashlight or a toolbox I doubt you were winning that match anyway.

• RakimSockem
    Options

Next time you open up the game, find a blank character, killer or survivor who has 6 pages worth of perks and multiple pages of items and add ons. Start a timer and then equip all the specific perks/offerings/add ons you would like to run. Then come back and tell me you have time to dump bloodpoints into a character, switch to a blank one, and re-equip everything you're looking for in under 60 seconds. Really under 55 seconds because the lobby shuts down when the timer gets to 5

• honestscript
    honestscript Member Posts: 259
    edited August 2020
    Options

This is a big non issue.

It's rare that i do a whole build around an item. I usually just slap something random on.

but to switch a character with a different item at the last second, ive never done that on xbox and i very very rarely see anyone else do it.

Post edited by honestscript on
  • Agent47Penguin
    Agent47Penguin Member Posts: 9
    Options

Just bring a mori every time, if they get salty, tell them not to swap next time

• Venoxxie
    Venoxxie Member Posts: 300
    Options

Can you not read the patch notes??

"Killer Selection - Killers can no longer change characters while searching for a match / in a lobby (excluding custom matches). This will soon be used by the new matchmaking system to provide better match balance based on your skill with each killer individually, instead of a global killer rating."

The survivors have no powers to get a hang of, no passives, no nothing different about them. Perhaps they're just spending BP on another survivor until the last second? I do that if I have the BP. They just have another survivor prepared with the perks and items they want. There's only 60 seconds in a lobby (providing everyone stays) so they might feel they don't have time to set things up how they want so they'll use a character they've previously prepared. Every survivor character is pretty much the same, that's why they are not locked there's no skill for different survivors. Killers actually have different powers to be skilled in, they're all actually different in more than just appearance.

And yes, I know about the toxic last second swap in case someone wanted to hide their op flashlight or key, but we can't see ANYTHING of the killer's, not even the killer you're playing as... So why should you be allowed to see our stuff we're bringing if we don't want you to? I don't see it as toxic since it doesn't seem fair you can see us/our items but we cannot see you before the match. You can still at least see the item even 6 seconds before we start, we won't see or hear you until probably 20seconds - 1 minute into the game. So it's not like we're as prepared as you think we are.

• vogit10102
    vogit10102 Member Posts: 225
    Options

And it's not and unfair advantage that the killer can see survs and their perks and we can't see the killer?

• shalo
    shalo Member Posts: 1,499
    Options

Killers can't see your perks, who told you they could?

• JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174
    Options

If you want to dump BP in a character just do it before you ready up. That's how I do it even when in a 4 man and my friends and I just BS while we're getting everything ready and spending BPs.

The argument that you don't want a lock because you can't spend points before readying up makes you sound like a child. As a killer you can't spend points on a killer you aren't going to play as after you ready up.

If it bothers you that much I have a compromise so killers can actually prep (which, by the way, is why they can see the Survivors and their items in lobby as it's a 4v1 game) have the Survivors locked at 30 seconds so they killer has at least a little bit of time to change a perk to deal with the inclusion of game changing items like medkits against legion and Oni or flashlights against Wraith and Hag.

• Fog_King
    Fog_King Member Posts: 688
    Options

I agree that if killers are locked, survivors should too, but my only problem is something that happens with me a lot of times. I start searching for a lobby, as survivor and start using blood points, sometimes in characters I prestiged, to level them up and get some perks. And a lot of times it takes a while to find a lobby, but when it does, I switch back to the character I was using before, since probably the new character doesn't have the perks I want yet and I want to keep leveling them at another time.

In the survivor lock scenario, I would get stuck with the character I was leveling. That is my only complain. Now, seeing the downside for killers, with toxic people switching at the last minute and bringing keys or something else, I have to agree that having the character I was leveling locked is a small price and that, in the general interest of everyone, the survivor should be locked in too.

• JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174
    Options

Killers are locked the second they begin looking for a match. In my region during the day killer ques are super long, 10-15 minutes, but almost instant at night. That means if I want to level up my Oni but play as Hag during the day I have to spend all my BP before I ready up then switch back over and wait the 10-15 minutes for a match. If that is the real deal breaker for Survivors being locked they should make it lock after a set time in the lobby to alleviate the potential issue. Just a simple compromise like that will shut up the killer mains and the only complaint Survivor mains could come up with is such a non issue for the majority of the player base that they would be ignored and the discussion about it would end quickly.

• CaulDrohn
    CaulDrohn Member Posts: 1,576
    Options

He did not write anything about perks, read properly! The suggestion was about items, addons and offering. Items take up two pages at most, and you usually know what you want to take with you. The same applies to addons. Offerings have some more pages, but they only fall into a small number of categories (BP, Level and some lesser important ones), and you would know what you want to equip as well. Selecting those three won't take you more than like 10 seonds. So the suggestion is actually quite nice, it would prevent quick-switching the last second, and not so heavily impact normal play.

• SurviveByDaylight
    SurviveByDaylight Member Posts: 720
    Options

Why should killers be allowed to see the survivors? It makes sense why survivors shouldn’t be able to see the killer. Because that’s the fun part about spawning in each game is that you don’t know. But why do killers get to see the survivors? You should just feel fortunate you get to see what they’re bringing in and be able to change to Franklins or Mori or keep your current load out. That part is unfair to the survivors already.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,226
    Options

Killers are balanced with the preparation time in the lobby in mind. They'd need to be stronger if they werent allowed to prepare for items or survivors.

Im pretty sure survivors would rather be locked in too than killers being buffed in general mechanics (affects all killers) to compensate the lack of preparation.

In the case of locking in survivors too, they wouldnt even lose the ability to equip an item in the last few seconds,...

• Spencerjnlouis
    Spencerjnlouis Member Posts: 117
    Options

Survivors should be locked from switching too but this is dbd after all, I don't even care much anymore tbh

• redsopine00
    redsopine00 Member Posts: 905
    Options

Dude I ran into 10yesterday and 5 today doing that and that's during a 2hr playtime

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557
    edited August 2020
    Options

Survivors have been the one cheating, not the other way around.

Killers are being punished for doing nothing, period. If it were the other way around survivors would be crying.

For years survivors have been using apps to block specific killers and using apps to know which killers they were versing.

Killers have NEVER been able to know which perks the surv are running though, see how it works?

Survivors should be locked in as well the moment you click ready, to enter a lobby. This shouldnt even be a debate, the fact it is shows entitlement and bias on the surv side.

• Demonl3y
    Demonl3y Member Posts: 1,416
    Options

Just because its ,,rare" it doesnt mean its a non issue.

By your logic murdering people would be okey too since its relativeley rare

• RakimSockem
    Options

Ummmmmm what? *stares at murder statistics across the US*

*stares at the history of the world*

lord send this child back to school please.

• azame
    azame Member Posts: 2,870
    Options

I agree that's a problem but if killers like spirit didnt have a glaring flaw in their design survivors wouldnt be going out of their way to try and dodge it.

Also the question is why do survivors last minute switch? To get use our of their item and not make the killer put on certain things like moris, franklin, etc. Yk it kinda sucks not getting use our of a flashlight because instead of looking at a wall they bring lightborn.

• Dacrenon
    Dacrenon Member Posts: 207
    Options

I didn't say anything about the perks being unloaded, just the items/add-ons/offering

• Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409
    Options

Exactly It feels like survivors have free rein when switching between what they want

• Pawcelot
    Pawcelot Member Posts: 985
    Options

If Killers gonna be locked into the killer they joined the queue with, then survivors need to have a lock-down period inside the lobby where they can no longer switch survivor (but still switch out perks / items). Maybe at 30 seconds remaining? Its only fair.

• Reaver_Raziel
    Reaver_Raziel Member Posts: 400
    Options

Who cares? No seriously who cares?. If you are talking about builds...well you cant see the build so it doesnt make sense to switch character just for that. If you are talking about items? Well they can already wait til 15 seconds and just switch item there making it impossible to "counter" with the appropiate force. And if you are talking about Blendettes.... yeah ok I feel ya on that one, but its mostly not a problem worth making any sort of post about.

Its really really rare you meet the dickheads where they all just before the last second all switch to the "we all have the same cosmetics on the same character" squad, with 4 flashlights/toolboxes/keys + map. When it happens it sucks, I grant you, its some of the worst. But its really really a minor issue man.

• Chatkovski
    Chatkovski Member Posts: 309
    Options

The killers should not see the survivors in the lobby, at least their items. Fixed easily.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917
    Options

This would render killer perks like Franklin's and Lightborn useless so that's not going to happen.

• Chatkovski
    Chatkovski Member Posts: 309
    Options

It is precisely the killers' ability to see the items brought in by the survivors that makes these perks far too powerful. Against 2, 3 or 4 survivors deciding to play a magnificent flashlight with nice addons, at random to complete a damn challenge, what happens if the killer decides to use Lightborn? Several items and addons to throw away at the start of the game. It was an excellent decision, without any risk. It is totally unbalanced and unfair.

No, they will not be useless, their usefulness will only be random. Exactly like Slippery Meat, Small Game, Calm Spirit... and so many others like now Borrowed Time against Freddy or Pyramid Head... Soon, a killer who makes Spine Chill and/or Iron Will useless, I'm soothsayer.

• LethalPugy
    LethalPugy Member Posts: 493
    Options

I mean, I’m a big forehead, and sometimes i’m levelling up a survivor in the in a queue. So like it would be very awkward if i just started playing as P2 Level 3 Laurie.

I mean i wouldn’t do that probably from this change. Or give them like 30 seconds at the start to change.

• mylesmylo
    mylesmylo Member Posts: 354
    Options

Please tell me this is a joke right? And this person isn't actually brain dead? Survivors dont have powers, why would they need to be locked? 🤣

• Toybasher
    Toybasher Member Posts: 911
    Options

IMHO survivors should be locked at 20 or 30 seconds remaining on the timer. (So after everyone has joined.)

When locked you can swap cosmetics, perks, offerings, and addons, but not the survivor you are playing as, nor your item.

You'd still be able to change most of your stuff, just you can't quick-swap at 6 seconds left.

Another option could be swapping resetting the timer to like 15 seconds but I am worried people might just never stop switching to hold the lobby hostage. So I think "locking" your item and survivor at 30 seconds while still being able to change everything else should be fine.

• terumisan
    terumisan Member Posts: 1,293
    Options

We all know that they either aren't or do it wayyyyy later

• Toybasher
    Toybasher Member Posts: 911
    edited August 2020
    Options

I disagree with the last paragraph. VS ANY killer all of those perks technically do SOMETHING.

Besides trapper's escape RNG, Slippery Meat gives you more attempts to wiggle off the hook.

Besides killer belongings, Small Game notifies you of totems which matter vs all killers. (NOED, they could be running a hex perk, or maybe you just want bloodpoints)

Calm Spirit isn't only good vs Doctor. It removes the pain yell when you get hit which can make it slightly harder to track you if it's in a tight loop. It also prevents you from startling crows, and in the olden days of DBD Spies From The Shadows was believe it or not, a "meta" perk. If I notice a crow fly away I know there's a survivor there. You also don't scream from stuff like Infectious Fright.

So all of those perks you STILL get some value out of vs all killers. Even if those killers are all perkless.

LIghtborn and Franklin's does literally nothing if the survivors have no flashlights or items. So unlike the survivor perks which still do SOMETHING, Franklin's and Lightborn are literally completely dead perk slots.

• batax90
    batax90 Member Posts: 879
    Options

If the survivor lobby dodge you still have the priority for a match but if he dc in the loading screen you just lost your priority so its better for the survivor if the killer dodge