I feel like we need to discuss how awful this game is for new players.

So my friend noticed that I'd been playing DBD and wanted to try it. Now I've played ~150 hours so I'm not a new player, but I'm not some super crazy thousands of hours player. He bought it a while back but only finally started it today. He played it for about two hours and said he was sick of getting matched against people who were a way higher rank than him, having none of the useful perks and then promptly uninstalled the game.

When I explained how unlocking perks works he just laughed and said it sounds like a terrible grind and he was glad that he didn't waste his money on any of the DLC. I can't help but agree with him there.

Also this new matchmaking system seems custom built to drive new players away instantly and that's just hilarious to me.

Comments

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

All games which are PVP have this issue. I agree, however, that ranking and matching right now are kind of awful. They are trying something new so I'm hoping it works. Personally I think Ranking should be on a 3 month clock rather than its current.

• IIITweedleIII
    IIITweedleIII Member Posts: 954

They said not to pay attention to the color/rank numbers anymore. 🤷‍♂️

Matchmaking they said is based on you collective experience

• Pawcelot
    Pawcelot Member Posts: 985

The literally non-existant matchmaking system is what's making it a bad experience for new players. In no game that doesn't have a casual mode, should a first-timer play against a 1000+ hour veteran.

• multibingles
    multibingles Member Posts: 32

I don't think I've ever seen a developer that's quite as unable to get out of their own way and let their game actually be good?

SWF's ruin the game for killers and don't you dare tell me that the developers statistics are accurate because ######### off they're not, new players get a horrible grind for perks and bloodpoints and a ######### load of DLC that well.. you don't have to buy it, but boy good luck waiting for that one perk you want to come around on the shrine, and now new players are getting thrown up against absolute monsters?

It's uh.. It's looking pretty bad out here.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

Yeah, this game is not friendly to new players at all and the devs don't seem to care about it. The horrible matchmaking and grind have driven away so many new players.

• Sacre
    Sacre Member Posts: 38

New-ish player here, can confirm, I'm struggling.

Struggling even more now with this damn MMR.

Sucks even more that some of the best perks are on licensed killers which you can only get via real money rather than iridescent shards.

Not to mention, getting enough shards for 1 killer is seemingly taking ages.

It's awful, the thing that keeps me going is that it's a breath of fresh air that feels different to every other online game I play.

• Tricks
    Tricks Member Posts: 957

Yeah forcing new players to go up against red ranks is just wrong. This should never happen as it is harmful to the health, well being and future of our game for reasons that are so obvious I wont even bother to underline them.

But this will never change because all the dinosours from 2016 who enjoy stomping on new players need their hand held by the devs so they can get easy matches with short queue times.

• Deathslinger
    Deathslinger Member Posts: 570
    edited August 2020

I always ask my friends if they like the Dark Souls series or type of games. Those that don’t, I tell them about the frustrations and grind and they immediately bail. Those that do, I tell them the same thing and I can almost see the glint in their eye like “Oho, Let me taste the bittersweet suffering you’ve promised me...”

• kurgan8282
    kurgan8282 Member Posts: 264

DBD surely have lots.of.potential, I never loved a game like i love dbd, play it regularly since release, but yeah, this update is a huge mess, I ak personally finding myself playing as killer against new players, with the result of terribly easy games with no fun at all, and same as surv, being matched against new killers is terrible for both of us...hope it will work in time or I dont know how it will end for this game.

• UMCorian
    UMCorian Member Posts: 531
    edited August 2020

I can confirm that there is non-existant matchmaking. I literally played my 1st game as Killer today (bought the game yesterday). I was pitted up against seasoned Survivors who tooled on me so hard, in the end, they didn't even have enough respect for my play to be toxic and rub it in: they apologized and said: "Sorry" "Don't get discourgaged." and "Matchmaking FTL."

I'm determined to learn killer now, at least to the point where they start to teabag me as they win handily... and give me the goddam respect My mom tells me I'm worth. ;)

• UMCorian
    UMCorian Member Posts: 531
    edited August 2020

I can confirm matchmaking is either nonexistant or ... using some very strange metrics. On my first game as killer (just bought the game yesterday), I was pitted up against several seasoned survivors who handed me my ass so easily that they weren't even toxic in the end. They actually said: "Sry, Matchmaking sucks" and told me not to be discouraged. lol

When I lose, I firmly expect to be teabagged and belittled. This was worse than that: this was genuine pity.