PSA about MMR

Options
13»

Comments

• CaenumPlays_
    CaenumPlays_ Member Posts: 45
    Options

I’ll go with it’s not working correctly, as is the case with most things in game.

• CEO_Of_Jane
    CEO_Of_Jane Member Posts: 72
    Options

im red ranks only goin against brown rank killas before the update I was playin red ranks that were actually good... idk if it’s be cause I always play swf or what but I think es ain’t right

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319
    Options

tempted to play killer now and go for rifts, but, I'm thinking the smarter move is to Maybe kill 1 guy, and get no kills some matches, and not always hit survivors so that I can get the work phase finished and then begin having fun and going for rifts after 10-15 matches like that once I get (hopefully) the fun mmr where even if 3/4 games are swf 3/4 should also be potatos anyways

• greekfire774
    greekfire774 Member Posts: 170
    edited August 2020
    Options

@SpaceCoconut I've seen countless server shutdowns for maintenance since I've played. It's a pretty common gaming practice. However, read in to what it takes to completely switch over an entire matchmaking system. It's definitely not a one day affair and it definitely isn't something that "runs In the back end" while the other multiplayer is still active. That makes absolutely zero sense and it's just bs they are spoon feeding us because they don't know how to fix their multiplayer that has been broken for over 2 years.

• Chett
    Chett Member Posts: 23
    Options

No way System takes place after 10 matches. I am R1 2k+ hours. Not the best player, but also not bad at all. In ~15 Matches I always get one other red Rank that isnt in my Skill range at all and 2 other greens, or worse. Beside of 2 Games (Rank 1 and 4 Killes), every Killer was Rank 6 to 20. I feel bad for new players. This System is frustrating. TBH. For me this is the worst thing they ever implemented and we all know they did a lot of crap. How long is that movement bug in the Game now ? 6 month+. Dedicated Servers feel like bought in a 1$ Store, or why u guys think so many people say: I got dedicated...

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

Lets put it another way.

It ignores the rank you can see. You have another rank hidden in the background you cant see. Thats the rank theyre basing it on. I can tell you most of the time on xbox its functiining properly keeping in mind their goal is 2k 2E (Which is really 6 hooks). We have no idea exactly what theyre basing that skill rank on, what we do know is a legit rank 1 God player can not play for 6 months and come back as a rank 20. Thats what they want to avoid aming other things

• DisappointedUser
    DisappointedUser Member Posts: 420
    Options

Except all evidence and BHVR testimony is completely against this narrative. They’ve already said anyone whose been playing won’t start at the default MMR. So they’ve effectively had their Placement Games. Furthermore, winning four games against Rank 19s is enough to ensure that your fifth game isn’t against a bunch of Rank 20s that have no idea what they’re doing.

Theyve clearly set the default MMR too high.

• sakha
    sakha Member Posts: 66
    Options
  • Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559
    Options

I've played a significant number of matches as Huntress, and I've felt like the survivors I'm facing are getting worse and worse even as my rank is increasing due to the number of 4ks. So, while there is merit to not immediately jumping on the bandwagon of "It's broken!!!" (because preliminary fluctuations will be inevitable if the MMR system was built correctly), you should keep in mind what kind of trend you see from match to match. Remember that you will probably end up facing/playing with a number of survivors who have NOT completed their ten matches and are still being moved around by the MMR system, so even if you're all set, the survivors you face or with whom you cooperate might not be.

• Eathian
    Eathian Member Posts: 82
    Options

I have played a significant number of matches; well over the 10 games mentioned for this to start working.

If this is how DBD is going to feel going forward I don't think I can play this. Until now I've been playing in red ranks happily. Now I'm being pushed down by potato teammates that have no experience in the game. There is no reason that survivors with sub thirty hours should be being matched with players with hundreds and thousands of hours. It's so incredibly tilting to be continuously down pipping because the MMR has decided to just throw whoever it finds into a match. I have died countless times on first hook because the brand new players it's queueing me with are too afraid to even run much less come save.

I want to play a game to have fun, but this has been the most incredibly frustrating experience. I don't think I can continue if this is the new norm.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,098
    Options

I get all that, but it shouldn't take 10 matches for the game to realize I shouldn't be paired up with <100 hr players as a 2000 hr player myself. That's just common sense. There has to be some common sense built into this thing. I have over 10,000 blink attacks and I'm waiting 5+ minutes to get a lobby of rank 20s. That's just dumb. We really need to play the match out to see how that one goes?

• wisdomwielder
    wisdomwielder Member Posts: 348
    Options

In what world is it okay for people with less than 50 hours to go against people with 4000? Why doesn't this system protect new players?

• OperationMintyHippo
    OperationMintyHippo Member Posts: 406
    Options

I'm on xbox have have played well over 10 matches and I still get rank 20s all day.

• OperationMintyHippo
    Options

I Havent gotten it to start doing anything for me. Nothing but rank 20s. And I've played everyday for the past week so it should've done something by now.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,658
    Options

I'd love that instead of the constant rank 1 squads I get placed as with a killer I haven't played since 2018.

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Options

Yeah idk, its def working on me without a doubt 🤷‍♂️

• OperationMintyHippo
    Options

I've not been playing poorly either so idk lol. Unless it is ranking me lower due to dying to facecamping and mori bringing rank 20 killers or my rank 20 teammates not saving me lol.

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Options

Honestly its killing it for me and i think its matching based on my actual rank. Im not good wigh huntress but it seems to think i am. The games become an absokute sweatfest which is what i was worridd about

• UMCorian
    UMCorian Member Posts: 531
    Options

Okay - it took 5 games to get there, but this was the first game I won as they finally figured out to stop putting me against rank 1-10 players.

System seems to work eventually, unless this was an anomaly.

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,141
    edited August 2020
    Options

So, for someone who only plays around 10 matches in a week because I only play video games one, maybe two nights a week, it could take close to a month for my MMR to settle? And that is just for survivor or one killer? And that is if, on that night or nights, I only play DbD and not Overwatch or WoW?

Fuck that, pass.

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793
    Options

The separate killer is what’s probably really throwing things for a loop... it’s good in theory but like you most people don’t get to play hours and hours day after day.

I might not pick up Doctor or Demo for days or week... but I’m decent enough that when I do play them I’ll be wrecking the lowBird I’m matched against

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,141
    edited August 2020
    Options

Exactly. It looks good on paper. The issue is that they have 20 killers, with the 21st due out . . . when? . . . in September, next month? I don't play Trapper, Hillbiilly, or Nurse, but that still leaves 17 killers (plus Survivor for 18) that I would need to settle an MMR with. And it is obviously taking longer than the 10 matches they claimed it would.

That would be like Overwatch saying to get an SR for all 32 heroes, instead of just for each role: damage, support, and tank. And even then, you only need five placement matches per role, for a grand total of 15 placements if you want to do it for all three roles (disclaimer: I would only did it for Support and Tank).

And I'm not interested in limiting myself to just a couple of killers, especially when I paid money for each DLC and didn't use shards for the non-licensed. I might want to play Myers, then Freddy, then Doc, then Ghostface, and so on.

But as a casual gamer (i.e. very limited time), that means I will have to constantly chew glass when I play, because it would take me forever to get a correct MMR on them, even if it was really only 10 matches, which feedback shows it clearly is not, not even for survivor which is just a single MMR.

Between the design of the Rift and now this, it just seems like they are trying to force login engagement and get those high metrics. As I'm sure that helps them in securing licenses.

Not the game I signed up for. It already has enough asinine grinds.

• badaB00M3R
    badaB00M3R Member Posts: 80
    edited August 2020
    Options

Well, I don't know what to tell ya. You can check and see I was pretty annoyed about all of this yesterday. My first few matches tonight were no different. Then, it was as if a light switch flipped. The last five games were all... pretty awesome. It was win some / lose some, but I was matched with teammates who knew what they were doing and gave an effort. We had killers who were challenging, but not abusive. I doubt it'll always be this way but considering how it started out for me yesterday, this five game streak was incredible. If the MMR system can manage to hold on to this I'll have a very different opinion.

Edit: I'd guess this was somewhere around 50-60 matches.

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340
    Options

6 games in with the hilly of billy....

I was playing a lot of hillbilly and bubba after their updates.

my matches feel challenging...i'm not giving free escapes any more, and i'm not being overrun to where i feel there's nothing i can do.

• Halun
    Halun Member Posts: 177
    Options

If they actually have a working, decent MMR system? Yeah basically.

Once the majority of the players in the system go through their qualifying matches, things will tend to fall into place a lot better. I know it sucks for the moment (new seasons always suck at the start), but if the system works, things will improve slowly over time.

But yeah, the hidden MMR thing is sketchy as hell to me, and that's kinda my fear as well. Without ratings, we literally cannot know if it's functioning or not. Even if they aren't lying to us, and they DO have a real MMR system, how can we just take their word for it? I hate saying that too, because I feel so conspiratorial... but it bothers me.

Yeah the lack of transparency (and clinging to ranks, despite the fact they know it's causing confusion) is an issue.

I can only speak based on experience with other games with reasonably well-working systems... But even taking prior weighting into account, qualifying matches can vastly change your ranking based on performance. That's why in OW for instance, people (who played seriously at least) often took their placement games really seriously. It's awful if you're trying to start in plat, after reaching plat last season, only to end up midway in gold because you had a string of bad placement matches.

Not telling players about how the system works will only hinder players and cause this "new season" phenomenon to be more intense and last longer while the system tries to work out players relative ratings, because the players literally don't know what's happening.

I couldn't imagine trying to get to a high rank in OW without even knowing HOW the system functioned... without knowing my rating or rank... and without even knowing WHEN I'm playing my placement matches. etc. It seems insane to me that they're going about it this way.

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    Options

lmfao i'm getting more and more hate chat as i play more games under the new MMR. I'm probably a c-tier killer, but i'm not holding back anymore. I was letting ppl escape and fake chasing ppl. I'm ten games in and my games are an adrensline rush and i ######### love it....I feel challenged

• MikaKim
    MikaKim Member Posts: 334
    Options

That's the take home message at this point.

Anyone stating that its working as intended or that you 'just have to play 10 games' clearly doesn't have any insight into the issue.

It's literally train wreck after train wreck for games, one way or the other.

• Kilrane
    Kilrane Member Posts: 89
    Options

They should've used Rank to heavily weight MMR until a threshold of information was reached. They really need to do that to help keep baby killers and newbie survivors from the jaws of veterans.

• johnmwarner
    Options

Yep, even though they aren’t perfect indicators current rank and/or hours played could have been used to give everyone a starter point and it would shake out from there

• Letche
    Letche Member Posts: 96
    Options

Been playing survivor for a few hours (consistent R1 for a long time), just got a small update so I'm waiting for that now, but the killers I've been getting are f'ing hilarious. Like actually.

Clown with pinky finger who kept only trying to hit bottle shots at R3. Pretty fun time tbh cause his aim was bad. Threw a bottle right between me and my buddy's head at gate.

Right before that Tombstone Michael with noed who we didn't know was Tombstone until I got grabbed at the exit gate and murdered, lmao (my bad). He had hooked one person the whole match, definitely didn't seem to know what he was doing the whole game.

I'd say from what I've seen so far I'm getting mostly newer or inexperienced killers with a handful of killers at my skill level sprinkled in with mostly literal R20 babies for teams. Every other game I have like one teammate that is in or around red ranks and the rest are yellow and brown. I've seen more of those two colors recently than ever before. Used to be almost exclusively green and up.

And before anyone says anything, I know ranks are supposed to not matter anymore, but this is the same as describing a R20 that plays like they're actually more experienced (aka a smurf). You would describe them as being R1 experienced. When you play with/against people, especially multiple times, you tend to get an understanding of how they play and what their skill level may actually be and compensate accordingly.

If the R20 killer is playing as though they're R1, I'm not going to be able to pull off certain things I would be able to against someone who was actually R20 in skill.

If my R1 teammate crouch walks to a corner of the map without urban with the killer nowhere near us expecting me to follow and heal them, I'm going to know I can't rely on them.

• TTVfbYTigTW
    TTVfbYTigTW Member Posts: 85
    edited August 2020
    Options

Well over 30 games in now. Feels exactly like every other game of dbd over the past several months.

Meaning - getting paired with 2-3 yellow ranks, sometimes red ranks, sometimes purple or green. Pairing vs a variety of killers.

Maybe there really is an MMR system. A secret, hidden MMR system that has no tiers, that no one can see, that works behind the scenes, and tiers are hidden from players because iz good. Sure 😂

• badaB00M3R
    Options

I guess I need to stop screwing around and start killing again. I used to be a killer main but had to switch survivor due to long queue times. I like the 3 and 4ks but I also like to farm. When I farm I call it "Killing with Kindness," because I'm letting people go on 3rd hook and escape, etc. Really, it's because every game was either me dominating the map or me being stomped. It sounds like I might not have to worry about any of that anymore.

• johnmwarner
    Options

Anyone who believes any company, whether it’s gaming or something more serious, that says “it’s all a secret but trust us it’s there,” is a complete idiot

• SloppyKnockout
    SloppyKnockout Member Posts: 1,505
    Options

I've had 53 matches over the last few days (I'm on holiday) as killer. Rank 1 killer, playing nothing but Wraith since the MMR came out (since I have the most BP offerings on bing bong). Started off facing potatoes, still facing potatoes; and not just like, "bad" survivors. Literally people won't don't know what they are doing and it shows. Running into walls constantly, not knowing where pallets are, constantly missing skill checks, slow-vaulting right in front of me etc. Just, new players.

• Demogordon_Ramsay
    Demogordon_Ramsay Member Posts: 1,503
    edited August 2020
    Options

Sorry, but a red rank and a grey rank should never be put into the same lobby, period. One is highly likely to have hundreds or even thousands of hours on the game. The other doesn't know what a Deep Wound is.

• Aceonfire
    Aceonfire Member Posts: 304
    Options

This entire fan base is insane. BHVR NEVER got ranks right. They have fundamentally shown they have NO IDEA how to measure someone's skill in this game. So why does anyone think they've suddenly figured out some working logic to do it with MMR. MMR and their old ranking were in essence, the same thing. Both were attempting to pair people with oothers of of their own skill. Meanwhile.......Twitch streamers are jumping ship. They are the only reason this game is even remotely relavent and hasnt died off completely. Most of them stopped playing survivor solo, and have switched to killer which is going to be the meta for the players in general, then you'll see the queue times get even worse for killer. The devs and their egos have just trashed this game. PRETTY GOOD JOB SO FAR GUYS!

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    Options

I'm only 6 games in on billy. I'll probably do another 3 tonight with him.

I know others are not experiencing what I am in their match making, and bhvr is aware of it.

I'm barely about to break 100 hrs since switching to pc from ps4.

I'll see what my 3 matches feel like tonite.

• UMCorian
    UMCorian Member Posts: 531
    edited August 2020
    Options

I just got the game a few days ago.

It does seem to take *a lot* more matches as Survivor for MM to start working. As Killer, within 5 matches, I was fighting Rank 16-20 Survivors as a Rank 19-20 killer.

As a Survivor, just played my 8th... no joke, Rank 1 Killer, Rank 1-3 Each Other Survivor. Then me at 18.

This is a fun game, but boy did I buy it at the wrong time. I have no idea what questions this system is asking itself after 8 games where it's like: "Here's the answer: stick this guy with 3 red survivors and a red killer. That's where he belongs" but I truly felt awful as the killer got a perfect game because they were essentially 3v1 from the start.

• Hollyleaf12
    Hollyleaf12 Member Posts: 37
    Options

I’ve been playing a bit over the last few days, and for me personally it feels like the MMR is working great. I’ve never been beyond rank 15, since I don’t have a lot of time to play, (I’ve been playing for almost a year and I have about 70-80 hours in the game).

I main Huntress, and the first 5 or 6 games were easy 4K’s, but then I started getting put against purple and red ranks with 1000-2000 hours and I am now more invested in this game than I ever have been, because now instead of every match either being me getting bullied to death, or me stomping on the poor new rank 20’s, my games have been at the point where if I make bad mistakes I will only get one kill, and if I play well, I will usually get 3 kills, 4 if I manage to pull of something more impressive then I usually do.

Probably the only less fun match I had once my MMR set in was one match where I got put against a 2 player SWF, both with good flashlights, head on, quick and quiet, DS and Unbreakable, and even in that match I was able to get a 2K, killing the SWF right before they were able to escape.

• Megaris
    Megaris Member Posts: 105
    Options

Disclose ratings, that's all I request.

• badaB00M3R
    Options

Well, I figured I'd update here since this is where I started:

I am legitimately in the range of 85-95 games as a survivor. As you'll recall (or could go look) Tuesday was brutal curbstomping all day long ending around 40-50 missions. Yesterday, I played another 30 and by 70 matches total over 2 days, I finally had around 7 matches that all felt perfectly balanced. They were win some / lose some, but all where challenging and fun with people (survivors and killers) who seemed to know what they are doing. Today, I have literally been matched with either rank 1 or 2 killers and they actually play like it, so they are legit. We're getting matched with one - two players who might have a clue and then two others who are obviously new or intentionally downranking.

Literally one of the games I've played today I felt like all the players had an idea what was going on and we were still destroyed because the rank 1 killer (Again, skills matched the rank) obviously knew his killer inside and out. That one match might have gone okay, but the killer's player was to strong for us to get any traction.

As an aside: I understand they are hiding our true ranks so as to not encourage people to intentionally downrank, but they are doing it anyway and even suggesting others do it in pre-game chat...

My problem now is how terribly inconsistent MMR is. 5 games today have been garbage. In nearly 100 games total, I should have had more than 7 that felt balanced.

• crispcat
    crispcat Member Posts: 2
    Options

Well I spent 18 hours playing yesterday as a survivor with no noticeable difference. Spent 18 hours today playing a single killer only to play against ppl with over 1k hours the whole time. Only kills I managed were when they would get too cocky. My rank 12 killer rank doesn’t matter anymore, and neither do the ranks that were all 1-4, but there is definitely a skill gap there. This “10 games before you notice a difference” really means nothing for a lot of us right now. I’ve played around 300 hours, bought all the dlc, and most of the cosmetics, and have decided DbD is no longer for me. I liked sweating as a survivor, but I can’t even casually play as a killer to mix things up at this point.

• WouldYouLikeSomeTea
    Options

I'm genuinely ######### if they don't fix this. I'm a rank 10 Spirit main, and the last 20+ games have all been 3-4 escapes and me getting absolutely ######### by players far beyond my skill range, I don't know what I did to calibrate it this way, but it seems now that it is, I'm way out of my skill league to the point I've had to play other killers just to get anything above a 1k.

• BadWraithMain
    BadWraithMain Member Posts: 25
    Options

So why not state when it was working and how it's working exactly? I know dead thread is dead, but still, this isn't something you leave your playerbase in the dark about. Especially since it seems these issues are pretty widespread.

• Mozzie
    Mozzie Member Posts: 618
    Options

The new MMR system has been disabled as of today, at least. My guess is they are taking time to rework it or they disabled it for cross play for tomorrow.

• BadWraithMain
    BadWraithMain Member Posts: 25
    Options

I mean, that's good and all, but this isn't the first time they've made drastic changes and not clued in the playerbase as to why they even done it (i.e. Lunar Event)