I Did Bones. You Need A New Excuse.

Options

This is just a reminder that yes, there are indeed survivors who do bones in order to try and counter NoED. These players also generally don't gen-rush.

When these players come here and say that NoED is indeed a terrible perk and needs changing, they're right. They do not need to "git gud", they do not need to hear "Just do bones." and they do NOT need to hear a garbage spiel about how easy the perk is to counter, the killer is "oNlY pLaYiNg WiTh 3 PeRkS!" or the points of DS/BT/DH/UB being perks and can be stacked.

To now make the "Do bones" argument null and void, I will now highlight every way that this argument is totally invalid:

• Survivor perks, such as Decisive Strike and Unbreakable are used with the hope that they are NEVER ACTIVATED. Well, for a lot of their users anyway. People can claim this as being perks down, much like the arguments for NoED.
  • The so-called Survivor equivelant, Adrenaline, is only a small and temporary boost while NoED is permanent if activated. Yes, the health state is temporary, but there are several killers that have base-kit instant downs so this really shouldn't be THAT big of an issue.
  • NoED does not discriminate between those who have done totems and those who do not. This leads to several cases like mine where I am commonly doing 3-4 dull totems MYSELF and getting killed after only one hit and hook. I am being punished for others failing, not my own failure. I know that Survivor is technically a team game, but there is a point where the individual should not be punished for the failures of the team.
  • It creates bad habits. Rather than actually adapting to applying pressure through various means, or learning how to improve in chases, NoED is used as a safety net in order to get kills that one would not normally be able to achieve, making them think that they are more skilled than they actually are. Rather than getting better at their role, they are telling others to do way more work because they refuse to adapt.
  • Counters to a majority of Survivor perks are merely a change in mindset or playstyle, such as trading hooks to apply pressure and avoid Decisive Strike AND Borrowed Time. NoED requires survivors to go out of their way in order to stop one of your perks.
  • The "counters" are also indirect and limited, also chewing up valuable perk slots for other perks to counter some of the more unsavoury tactics that killers use and are not perk dependent.

Main point here is that yes, I do the dull totems. They are more bloodpoints and cancel the perk. I AM NORMALLY THE ONE TO GET HIT BY IT. Most of these games, it is also the first hook that I will be placed on and will also ultimately kill me.

There are also many issues that I have with NoED on a fundamental level as a perk, especially with it's activation for both general activation and notification of it's activity. Every other Hex perk requires ONE totem to be destroyed, where as NoED can have up to 5 required, before endgame.

All exposure effects outside of NoED and Devour Hope also give instant notification. Devour Hope also has a lengthy list of requirements to activate outside of "be loosing" in order to achieve the same effect. Devour Hope is also a TEACHABLE perk, one that should be more powerful than base-perks as you have to do a lot more work for them to become available.

So, fellow killers, while you lot think up of an actual excuse for NoED being the way it is, I'll be off actually doing the damn bones whenever I decide to indulge in a little bit of Survivor while I try to progress my Archives. In the meantime, whenever any of you argue about Decisive Strike, Borrowed Time, Unbreakable just remember this advice, since it's ok for YOU to give it: Just don't tunnel, camp or slug. Never mind that the survivor ran at you or started working on that generator or unhooking that other survivor in your face. Kinda hypocritical, isn't it? That's how I feel every time I hear the phrase "just do bones".

I did them, so now what?

Comments

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742
    Options

there's been a thread not too long ago proposing a system to check how many totems are left.

• Angelicus23
    Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,547
    Options

for me someone who NEEDS to be carried by noed is a complete noob fr me, yu never need to rely on a perk to win and it just shows the lack of skill of the player, same goes by some survivor perks but the point in this discussion is that noed is indeed a baby tier perk

• Nosferatu3145
    Nosferatu3145 Member Posts: 542
    Options

Kekekeke do more bones

• Ebisek
    Ebisek Member Posts: 106
    Options

Blame the team for what? There are no way of sharing info with other team mates. There are lot of situations like "3 on gen", HEX RUIN, and all three start searching the totem, because you have no chance to say "dude, I have small game, keep killer busy I ll do my job".

And same in case of noed. You did 4 totems in Lery's or Gideon, you meet you team and you cannot share "all around the walls are cleared, check the center rooms".

The mechanic of selection from remainings is stupid. You cleanse 80% of totems on hard map (Like Lery's, where the totem locaions are hell). You should have 20% chance of NOED and not 100%.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,611
    Options

Firstly you seem to be vastly underestimating how much of a difference that 4% speed can make. It's the difference between being able to loop so many tiles another time and, especially whilst unsure of if NOED is in play, can result in the down into hook into face camp.

Secondly, op was saying that if you believe noed to be fine and survivors need to just "do bones" then ds, unbreakable, and Bt are fine because you just need to "not tunnel or slug" .

• ObscurityDragon
    ObscurityDragon Member Posts: 710
    Options

Yeah that second part, makes more sense if mea t that way

And maybe i underestimate what 4% are, but i also already was able to loop a bit around a killer or even escape, giving at least my team enough time to open the doors (just sucks if he gets noed right when he was about to normal hit you)

The thing that i dislike the most about noed is how easy you can camp the hook/bones on some maps when both are near each other

(I see you on almost every topic, how much time do you even pass in the forums? Just wondering)

• Demonl3y
    Demonl3y Member Posts: 1,416
    Options

It may sucks for solo player but at the end of the day, its still a team game. You cant do everything solo and you shouldnt. If one survivor could do everything solo the game would be near to impossible for killers.

You have to work together in order to escape even if its extremely hard in SoloQ but that doesnt mean you should can do it solo

• Xbob42
    Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,117
    edited August 2020
    Options

No, it's not "extremely hard," it's "literally impossible." There's no way to communicate any information whatsoever about totems. There is no way to work together. You just have to do your part, on your own, and hope someone else had the wherewithal to also do totems, and that the combined totems you did were all of them. Because you can't talk to each other.

That's not teamwork, that's just individuals individually doing objectives. Or not. Maybe no one else did anything.

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options

A lot. I have nothing better to do so when I'm bored I boot up the forums and respond to topics I find interest in.

• Kira15233
    Kira15233 Member Posts: 473
    edited August 2020
    Options

The only downside to that, yes DS and Unbreakable are used with the hope of never being activated BUT DS forces to slug...if you don't see the unhooker (I try and go to the unhooker and if I see nobody..I'll go after the unhooked one)

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842
    Options

@DudeDelicious is right.

I go out of my way to do bones in EVERY SINGLE GAME just to try and avoid NoED. I'll ignore generators for a good minute or two at the start of the game to focus on just totems. If I miss just one totem, then it is usually me who dies to NoED. Generally I'll get through about 3 dull totems by myself, while also going for saves before I am nearly forced onto generators to get some Lightbringer emblem.

• PigMainClaudette
    Options

Well, yes, but the main point there was the hope of it never being used, and hypocritical advice being given to counter a perk that isn't used 100% of the time.

• vogit10102
    vogit10102 Member Posts: 225
    Options
  • Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2020
    Options

My Solo build since months: Inner - Detective's Hunch - Quick & Quit - Iron Will

Or just bring a Map.

If you're SWFs there's no excuse for getting NOED as you can count and call out the totems. As solo try to cleanse the more hidden totems at the start, so the potential NOED can be found easier later (most likely it's the last one). So yeah, NOED is much more a threat vs. Solos. Better don't get hit first and always expect it.

• PigMainClaudette
    Options

It's not the killer's fault, but what is would be the advice of "just do bones" that litters the forums. This is because I am the one doing the bones and getting punished because my team can't carry their own weight, their advice is not at all helpful and I just need to hear anything other than "just do bones" or "equip a perk that doesn't help deal with bigger issues" from killers.

• PigMainClaudette
    Options

I play both. Depending on the thread, there are people who are on either side.

• PigMainClaudette
    Options

Decisive Strike is only a problem if you allow it to be, or if survivors abuse the power it provides. It is not a fundamentally badly designed perk.

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options

"Don't get hit" is not a 'counter' to anything because you cannot judge when you get hit or not.

That's like saying don't let them get hatch if they have a key.

• PigMainClaudette
    Options

So, someone like me who uses DS as protection to heal up should be punished because some survivors like to take advantage of some killers greed? I admit that it sucks to see people do it, and if someone tries to take advantage of me like that, they die next.

Also, since when is FAIR a factor, when tunnelling is fine? So many killers don't give a flying care about what's "fair" to a survivor, but do a complete 180 when something happens to them.

Does what happened to you suck? Yes. But I don't see how that compares to NoED and it's problems being core to gameplay, rather than a community based issue.

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,674
    Options

Doing bones is just what the killer want you to do. It's a waste of time. Just note where the totems are in your head and if NOED triggers check the totem(s) you remember, if it isn't any of them just open the gates and leave.

• PigMainClaudette
    Options

I am not complaining about NoED directly. I am saying that "Just do bones" is not a valid response for complaints about it. Nice try.

• PigMainClaudette
    Options

"Don't punish the many for the actions of a few" was indeed the type of message I was going for there. DS Abusers are a small group of survivors, and it is annoying to hear people complain about them constantly.

I did also acknowledge the fact that perks like Small Game exist, but did also say that as a solo player I am almost forced into using other perks to deal with other issues, such as tunnelling and slugging, and Small Game didn't make the cut.

• PigMainClaudette
    Options

Hope also doesn't let you pick yourself up off the ground and go to full health.

Yeah, I can go unnoticed. I got to red ranks as a stealth player, back in the days of original Ruin, so yes. I can go throughout an entire game without being chased, or if I am, I don't go down or hooked. Usually I'll get done just after the final generator is complete or if the killer catches me at the gate.

Pig's RBT is indicated to an entire team, not to mention a cascade of problems to kill someone. Plague's Cleansing has audio queues not to mention isn't actually a horrible idea now that she has one fountain available base. Some times I also need to take a breather away from the killer, especially when I've been chased for a while and need to heal.

I never said that NoED was the only perk to create bad habits. Just that it does for KILLERS. As someone who also uses DS for it's intended purpose, I can indeed say that it isn't as bad as how NoED influences killers.

The line after the "just don't tunnel, camp or slug" line was literally about it being terrible and hypocritical advice in an attempt to bait people into saying "it's not that simple".

I did adapt, I did evolve. I don't even care about IF I live or not, but what I hate is the terrible "advice" that keeps on getting perpetuated across these forums. This is not about the perk, this is about how we as a community tell each other how to deal with it.

• Veen
    Veen Member Posts: 706
    Options

How a discussion aiming about solo survivors struggle with bones became a decisive strike debate. SMH.

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893
    Options

No one escapes death is a very awkward perk.

Coming from someone who runs a lot of endgame builds (which typically requires you to let endgame happen) so I will talk about it in a purely endgame standpoint. It's a perk that usually won't net you more than one kill if you're up against smart people.

Most smart survivors will either just leave once they realise you have it or go immersed looking for it until it gets destroyed.

As for perk yes it could completely snowball in the right circumstances but it looks also do very minimal to outright nothing.

Honestly when it comes to the Perk I would suggest a couple of things.

1,) Allow totem counters on survivor related perks like small games or detective's.

2) change no one escapes death so it's not at endgame park but conditional this way you would have to achieve a certain conditions for it to spawn making it more reliable on The Killers end and would feel more fair on the survivors end as the killer earned it.

3) keep it as an endgame perk but change the buffs it gives you they would still have to be powerful considering it's a hex that is not active for most of the game but you could pick something different from exposed. For example something similar to a fully stacked save the best

• ACTIV3_GNASHER
    ACTIV3_GNASHER Member Posts: 75
    Options

Aite lemme breakdown your counter argument.

1- But, EVERY game, the killers entire objective is down and hook you, so 100% of the time DS and BT and Unbreakable and other stuff are ALWAYS viable. You might go a whole game without using DS, but, the killer might have seen the obsession in the bottom corner and assumed you had it so lost pressure avoiding you on purpose to go for somebody else, it's always a constant threat.

2- There are, two killers out of 20 that have a CONSTANT one hit down ability so in 1/10 of games this applies. Adrenaline saves half a minute that you would have to spend healing, and can be very brutal in a SWF. It also gives you a sprint burst.

3- In a team game the individuals will always be punished by their teammates under-performing that's why "you're only as strong as your weakest link" is such a common phrase IRL. Unfortunately that's just how it is, you're going to have teammates that just rush gens, That's not even a bad thing, because NOED doesn't just give you a down, you still have to earn it, you can still be looped.

4- You are right here, it does create bad habits and it can completely turn a tide of the match. But, only until a certain rank. At green rank you might safety with the one kill NOED gets you, but as you get into Purple/red you will start depipping with just one kill obtained from NOED, at which players will have to start looking at themselves. NOED is a perk designed to help new players who are in a unfortunate situation which can be abused by higher ranked players, just like all the crutch things on the survivor side.

5- By that logic, Thrill of the Hunt is unbalanced because survivors have to go out of their way to prevent the perk. It's a secondary objective. Which is why all Hex perks are risk/reward. Survivors may do no Totems so you get maximum value out of Ruin/Lullaby/NOED etc etc or they actually do something other than rush gens like doing totems.

6-Alternatively just bring a map and whatever perks you want.

I am by no means a killer main, I play both equally and don't really have a problem with NOED, and when I do play survivor I play solo 90% of the time.

• Snowbawlzzz
    Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,419
    Options

NOED is one kill

If someone got smacked and you see the hex notification pop up, just leave. That's what I do anyway. NOED carries bad killers because survivors are too worried that their hooked teammate will scream at them in the post-game chat, so they go for the unhook and it just results in 2 kills. Maybe it can work if you have BT AND the guy is hooked next to the gate, but even then it's a gamble.

• Reaver_Raziel
    Reaver_Raziel Member Posts: 400
    Options

Just to counter a few argument with some slightly jokey but still not wrong statements

• "...DS and Unbrekable are used with the hope they never activate" thats funny because most killers prefer when they dont have to use NOED as well. They prefer that gens dont get done and that they win before that.
    • Survivor perks, items, offerings in general need to be weaker than the killers otherwise the game would be insanely unbalanced. Survivors being able to bring 16 perks in total and the killer only being able to bring 4.
    • Its a team game, to a point. You first and foremost have to look out for yourself. Sometimes you have to consider is me bodyblocking the killer to down my team mate, and probably going on the hook instead, better than them doing it. Like if they already have 2 hooks and you have only 1 or none at all, you should probably help. But if you are both dead on hook you should probably just let them die. This game is basically balanced around you being punished for your team mates mistakes. 3-genning because the team decided to do 4 gens next to each other and ignore the other half of the map. Being teamed with bad survivors that go down instantly and dying before 2 gens get done. People doing Haunted Grounds. Myers 99'ing off your team mates, finding you and 1-shotting you. On and on.
    • Agreed. Except the skillful part. Im sure some think like that but those people are dumbasses. Most people accept its a safety net, they even call it a second chance perk. But hey if the killers wont adapt the survivors should, forcing the killers to adapt because they start losing big time.
    • I dont think I get this part. A lot of the time where DS and BT is annoying is when you trade hooks. The one being unhooked comes back and tries to unhook the person who just traded hooks, and is "immortal" while doing so. And a lot of the time the survivors "abuse" the perks by being in the killers face with BT,DS and an unbreakable. Forcing the killer to GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to either hit them and get nothing do to BT, grab them and get DS'd, or down them after they unhooked the first guy, and now the cycle restarts. Except 2 people now have DS up and available and maybe unbreakable as well.
    • Yeah well, that usually not a big deal. Unless you happen to play with a lot of survivors that like to play with mediocre builds (thats me btw, I love me some detectives hunch) then most survivors bring BT, DS and unbrekable at least in some capacity and if the killer respects one then he respects all. If he eats one DS he usually learns his lesson.

With all that said I would still like to see a nerf to NOED/DS just probably not as big as one you would like.

• arslaN
    arslaN Member Posts: 1,936
    edited August 2020
    Options

Yeah, I agree with pretty much all of this. I don't think NOED is overpowered but I do think that it's a poorly designed perk.

Cleansing totems on solo queue is just not worth it unless you have a build for it (which is also dumb). Just focus on gens and deal with it after it's active.

• Erk
    Erk Member Posts: 230
    Options
    • NoED gets equipped so that it doesnt get activated too ? Which killer wants to see all gens being done ? It's just a "Plan B".
    • Adrenaline is a really powerful perk, it doesn't matter if its temporary or not, it still comes in clutch since with that speed boost there is no way the killer can catch up to you. Just because its temporary doesn't mean its not a powerful perk.
    • Exhaustion perks create bad habits. Why learn how to loop better when you can just press E to Dead Hard into the pallet ! Meanwhile, there is a perk that is not activated until the end of the game where the killer gets a second chance ! You play with 3 perks the entire match and survivors can still complain about a perk that has no use until the last minute of the game.
    • What ? Doing totems are not survivors "going out of their way". Thats basically another objective ! You should ALWAYS look for bones, who knows, the killer might have Devour Hope.
    • NoED is chewing up a perk slot until the end of the game, if you want to counter it easily you should too.

Overall, you are just whining. You didn't talk about why NoED is bad or stuff, you just said "If you pick NoED, don't complain about DH or DS or BT or Adrenaline". Was this your point ? If so, its a stupid point. All of these 4 perks are second chance perks that give the survivor 4 more chances, meanwhile if the killer has 1 second chance perk (the only killer second chance perk) thats bad ? And the perk doesn't even activate until the end of the game. You are just complaining that killers get another chance while survivors can get 4.

• LlamaArmour
    LlamaArmour Member Posts: 75
    Options

No problem with NOED (from a survivor main). It does feel cheap at times but to be honest, the whole game does at certain points.

Also, the bones argument is very valid. Instead of spending time breaking every totem you see, try only breaking hidden ones, that way you won't waste your time breaking them, and they'll be easy to check at a later date.

I don't even think a totem counter is necessary either. The whole power of NOED is that it makes survivors waste time looking around to check totems. Aside from that, there's no reason it should grant a killer more than 1 extra kill (2 at a stretch). Adding a totem counter is basically killing the perk.

Again, this is from the pov of a survivor main (ex killer main)

• PigMainClaudette
    Options

It's about the excuse "just do bones". Not NoED as a perk.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570
    Options

Just add a totem counter. The only problem is that solo players don't know how many totems their teammates cleansed.

This discussion has been closed.