The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Same map twice in a row?

Is this my imagination or has the chances of getting the same map in successive matches increased recently? It is never something I noticed before but recently it just keeps happening: Haddonfield, Haddonfield, The Game, The Game etc. It doesn't happen every time, it just seems significantly more often than it used to.

Comments

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

There is kind of a "map of the day" in the algorithm. That means that you have a higher chance to get a specific map. Yesterday, it was probably Rotten Fields day.

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

It's unlucky rng.

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948

Had farm maps all day, good that I picked Billy most of the time.

OP: I had pale rose (swamp) 5 times in a row, after the 6th time I pressed alt+f4 and stopped playing lol

• NoShinyPony

@Orion The devs said so some time ago.

It becomes obvious when a new map gets released: The chances to play on the new map are immensely increased. When the Plague DLC got released, 50% of my matches were on the Temple map.

Concerning the Rotten Fields part: That's just my estimation from my matches and the streams I watched, therefore I wrote "probably".

• Mushwin
    Mushwin Member Posts: 4,580

i have noticed this too, even if i log off, just say on cold wind farm, i can go back on and like i am there right again, it's every map i am on i am getting it right after.....

• LordDank
    LordDank Member Posts: 3

I just got Cold Wind for the 6th time. I just turned my system off instead of playing.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

I don't think there's any type of map of the day. That's just how randomness works. Some days you will get the same map over and over. I get the Autohaven Wreckers maps a lot as killer. Or I'm simply noticing then more because I hate playing on them as killer. ;)

• RoKrueger
    RoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371

That damned probability theory screw you over again didn't it?! Curse you Statistics!!!

• NoShinyPony

@Peanits Thanks for the clarification!

• DariusB92
    DariusB92 Member Posts: 122

I have complained about this several times already and it needs to be fixed. Im so tired of going to cold wind, Macmillan and auto haven. Sometimes on rotation sometimes the same map match after match. The only time when i actually got to play a different one is when I used an offering; Today I have been playing for hours and I keep playing at the same ones. Its so tiring and making me not like this game. There are so many more choices so why is it just because they have 5 "realms"(even though they look the same) is it that those are the ones chosen? If there's more of these overplayed asf maps then their base probability percent should be lowered by half or 3/4.

• Sadsnacks
    Sadsnacks Member Posts: 677

Same thing keeps happening to me. I'll get the same map 2-3 times in a row, even when I switch over from killer to survivor.

Playing as killer: Rotten fields, rotten fields, springwood, springwood, Ormond, Ormond

Switch to survivor: Ormond, Macmillan, macmillan

etc etc

Maybe it's the MMR trying to compile data on your skill on each map? IDK

• Dito175
    Dito175 Member Posts: 1,395

yeah i hate Autohaven and Mcmillan and i only get macthes there.

• Artick
    Artick Member Posts: 623

I feel like people don't really understand what random means. They expect random numbers or maps or whatever to always be different, that's not the case. Random means you can get the same thing one million times in a row, 0 times, or anything in between.

• Roobnus
    Roobnus Member Posts: 375

Hey genius, ever heard of probability calculations?

DbD has 15 realms and 35 different maps. How high are the chances to get 3x The Game and 3x Ormond in a row within 6 matches?

I let you do the math.

• Artick
    edited August 2020

Hey genius.

Small chance DOESN'T mean it can not happen at all. You should probably learn more about probability.

• Pawcelot
    Pawcelot Member Posts: 985

Wow. Sick necroing, dude. The thread was almost 1½ year old.

• coppersly
    coppersly Member Posts: 2,318

I'll run the same map upwards of 5 times in a row sometimes. It happens more often than you'd think.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2020

I noticed lately I dont know if its just RNG or a bug in the algorithm, Ive been getting Blood Lodge, Azarov's and Sanctum of Wrath A LOT lately.

Edit: yes I know the thread is old but Im noticing this after the 4.1 upgrade.

• Roobnus

That's exactly my point, it happens way too often.

I never said it can't happen but the amount of times it happens does not equate the amount of times it should happen.

How small is the small chance btw, I want you to give me a number :-)

• forum123
    forum123 Member Posts: 11

I usually have Farm maps and like them

• SteenGooier
    SteenGooier Member Posts: 3

I know this is an old thread, but I figured I would actually do 'the math' to clarify that this is still very plausible with random map picking:

The map RNG first picks the Realm a match will take place on, and if that Realm has multiple Maps, it will choose a Map from the picked Realm. The Game and Mount Ormond Resort are both Maps that belong in a Realm with only one map, so to simplify I'm gonna translate your question to "What is the chance to get the same Realm 3 times in a row, and then a different Realm 3 times in a row, in the span of 6 matches". In the calculations I will assume that no one will use Realm offerings.

(15/15) * (1/15) * (1/15) * (14/15) * (1/15) * (1/15) * 100 = ~0.00184%

In my simplified question it doesn't matter which Realm your first game is on (15/15), to then get the same realm 2 more times in a row has a chance of (1/15) * (1/15) * 100 = ~0.4444%. To then land on a different Realm has a chance of (14/15), and to then land on that same different Realm 2 more times also has about a 0.4444% chance. Multiply it all together and you get about 0.00184%.

Now that might seem as a very low chance, but considering DbD had ~40000 average players in June and July, and on average you can play about 3 matches in an hour (maybe 2 if the matchmaking is really, really bad). That means that every hour, 40000 / 5 * 3 = 24000 matches are played, of which each match has 5 players. 0.00184% out of 24000 is ~0.44 matches / hour. Multiplied by 5 again means that on average about 2.2 people each hour will get the same Realm 3 times in a row, and then a different Realm also 3 times in a row straight after.

And just for fun: Specifically getting 3x The Game, and then 3x Ormond will happen about (1/15)^6 * 40000 * 3 * 24 = ~0.253 times a day.

• Azgard12
    Azgard12 Member Posts: 335

Of my ~20 games yesterday, the vast majority were Rotten Fields and Crotus Prenn. It's interesting like that. I eventually started burning map offerings.

• Roobnus
    edited August 2020

Bro you calculated the probability for this to happen for the ENTIRE playerbase.

The math is simple, there is a 0.44% chance to get the same realm 3 times in a row - that means it should only ever happen once in 227 matches. So that's like roughly once per month assuming you play 2-3 hours a day on average.

BTW: Do you have a source where they confirm that the realms are randomed and then the maps for that specific realm? Because that would cause insane imbalances between 1 map realms and the old 5 map realms.

• SteenGooier
    SteenGooier Member Posts: 3

I know, I was just trying to put the chance into some perspective.

I can't find a source from the devs about the map rotation, but I do remember something from like back in 2016 or 2017, possibly a devstream. I would assume it's more logical to first pick the Realm and then the Map, since Maps from the same Realm can otherwise quickly start feeling 'kind of the same'. But I can't find any source or statistics with a high sample rate, so I'm not entirely sure.

• Roobnus

True that but it would lower the chances to be sent to one map realms such as Ormond, Lérys, Hawkins, Haddonfield, Dead Dawg Saloon, Midwich or Gideon Meat Plant. I really don't like most of those maps but now there's almost a 50% chance that it's one of them.

It's been weeks since last time I played on Wreckers Yard.

• Artick
    edited August 2020

All of you are also missing the fact that computers can not generate truly random numbers(look up "pseudo random numbers"). What happens is in order to generate "random" numbers a formula is used. This formula takes a seed as input and outputs a sequence of numbers. For the same seed, the formula will output the same sequence of numbers, every single time.

In order to get around that, the current timestamp(the time elapsed since 1970, in seconds) is used as the seed(since it keeps increasing every time, it should generate sequences that are different enough). However, there can be seeds that generate fairly similar sequences.

How this relates to picking a random map? Each realm likely has assigned a range of numbers, for example 1 - 100 for Autohaven, 101 - 200 Haddonfield, etc. The devs probably generate a random number inside the [0 - max_value_for_latest_map] interval and see where it fits: for example if it is between 1-100 then the map is Autohaven. Since different seeds can generate similar sequences, if the first seed generates the number 103 the first map will be Haddonfield, then if the second seed ends up generating a different random number, but still similar, like 107 the map will still be Haddonfield. Two different random numbers resulted in the same map being picked twice in a row.

Of course this may not be the exact algorithm the devs use, but it's going to be similar enough.

• DariusB92
    DariusB92 Member Posts: 122

I didn't notice, was scrolling thru threads and saw this. Obviously it's still an issue

• IIITweedleIII
    IIITweedleIII Member Posts: 934

It's still happening. Coldwind Farm 4 outta 6 games. I hate cornfields with a passion more than ever.

• Dito175
    Dito175 Member Posts: 1,395

I wish i got these maps, i only get Autohaven and its the realm that i hate the most.

• PinballChalk
    PinballChalk Member Posts: 8

Incompetent devs who don't know how to put a lockout timer on the forum to prevent necromancy.

• TKTK
    TKTK Member Posts: 943
    edited August 2020

D/C penalty is off, I don't have to play haddonfield or ormond two times in a row if i don't want to, ######### those maps.