MMR dictates which Killers you play against

Options
gatsby
gatsby Member Posts: 2,532

I've noticed since the MMR change that the variety of Killers I get has drastically changed. Before it was a super mixed bag, now its much more consistent.

My theory is that the MMR system essentially creates a tier list in the matchmaking. Killers are inherently stronger than others so the playerbases of stronger Killers and weaker Killers are boxed into specific MMRs. So your MMR level means you get Killers on a similar power level to your Survivor skill.

In my games, most of my Killers are HUNTRESS (like I kid you not I have back to back games of Huntress regularly and they're different players too), Ghost Face, Hag, Wraith, Deathslinger and Bubba. I haven't seen a Plague, Doctor, Legion, Demo, Nurse or Billy in weeks.

Comments

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,155
    Options
  • GhostFace_Killer
    GhostFace_Killer Member Posts: 55
    Options

i only play Ghost Face atm, because Scream is my favorite horror movie. But when i get the points i want to get Legion, their bleeding effect after an attack seems fun

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,005
    Options

Scott made a video about this a few days ago.

Devs have worked themselves into a corner, here, when the system 'balances itself out.' The top of the top are only going to be sweaty SWF/Nurse/Spirit players. So, they'll probably leave, since they can't play the way they want.

At the very least, the devs will have a clear picture just how strong SWF are. At least, the 4man squads. If the 'skill' rating on these buggers doesn't tell them something, nothing will.

• KIKI_
    KIKI_ Member Posts: 135
    Options

I think it is intended to be this way, so they can actually have concrete data regarding balance issues and hopefully do something for those poor low tier killers. But, it would take time.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759
    Options
  • 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470
    Options

You didnt get the same strong killers in red ranks in past?

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415
    Options

Same :\

Been forev since I got to play against a Nurse, Demo or Clown... kinda sad, really.

• Tricks
    Tricks Member Posts: 957
    Options

Higher skilled KIllers play meta Killers

Much like higher skilled Survivors play with meta perks

Same diff.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627
    Options

I have 'not' noticed that and I play about 60% survivor atm on red rank. So I should have a briefly appropriate MMR. Scott Junds opinion filters out a lot of things, like only expecting SWF sweat squads in high ranks which is not the case. I posted on that in another thread.

There is variety in MMR, not only "red ranks". Like we never had only purely red rank matches, there were always sufficient games with purple ranks as well. So there will not only be the sweat squad or nothing. And that will change the outcome of games and allow every killer to get some kills. I'm not sure if everyone assuming 3 killers vs sweat squads ever got into contact with simulation systems. There is a bunch of variables you all ignore and I'm also not aware of

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117
    Options

Thats entirely wrong. Its just that there are some killers that are far too easily playable despite their high power level. If you have an high MMR as survivor you will still face some high skilled "weak" killers, many unskilled players with Freddy like i said before, and some high skilled top tier killer. Same as before.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803
    Options

Man, I wish I were one of you guys who never sees Nurse, I face Nurse pretty much every time I play survivor.

I can’t say I’ve noticed a lack of killer diversity either. My recent matches have included Nurse, Spirit, Freddy, but also Clown, Ghostface, Deathslinger, Trapper, Myers and Demo. Maybe I’m just in poopoo MMR.

• Masochistic_Killer
    Masochistic_Killer Member Posts: 413
    Options

It's about popularity too. Since all Killers have their own MMR, you're effectively punished for playing the ones you like (and thus play more often, and are therefore better at).

Example, my daily yesterday was for Deathslinger. I have maybe played him 4 or 5 times total. I am currently red rank 4, half my lobby was rank ~16. I suck as Deathslinger, but I'm not new, got 1 disconnect, one death, and I let the other two win to farm my reel hits. The 16 David had no idea ######### was going on and kept running from me like a scared rabbit even after I let him got like 6 times and carried him to a gen repeatedly. It was pretty funny, they did thank me after the game saying they had been getting absolutely stomped multiple games in a row, pretty sure the last 2 were SWF.

• Tricks
    Tricks Member Posts: 957
    Options

Can anyone explain to me why when I play the Killers I'm good at I get matched with brown and yellow ranks and when I play the Killers I hardly play I'm facing a wall of red every match 100% guaranteed?

I don't get it behaviour, I really dont. Whats going on lol

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,098
    Options

Is that why survivors are acting so weird at the start of my Clown games? Multiple times in a row I've nearly wiped the team within 2 gens before they flip the switch and start playing well. I wonder if it's because they're genuinely shocked at seeing a Clown.

If hard balance data was something the devs thought they needed....I dunno. I feel like the anecdotal evidence was already abundantly clear. There are plenty of places to watch the highest level players square off, and it's only Nurse/Spirit/Billy/PH/and sometimes Hag in there. Oni depending on add ons.

• WARW0LF
    WARW0LF Member Posts: 200
    Options

i understand your logic but this isn't how it works, each killer MMR can range between the same values as a surv MMR, therefor you'd see all killers at all surv MMR values, every killer is viable in the right hands and everyone has a different skill level with each killer, for example, a top nurse will see top survs, my weak ass nurse will see newbie survs

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135
    Options

This is how it should be. If you're a sweaty meta player at the highest MMR, then you should be facing Killers that can compete with you. Killers like Clown and Legion just can't keep up with 4 sweaty Survivors. If you want that to change, then the devs need to buff low-tier Killers until they are actually viable at high MMR.