Was an MMR system even necessary?

If the game had a better ranking system and rank rewards would MMR even be necessary?

This isnt meant as a negative criticism of the devs - in fact i'm thrilled they were willing to take a step back to reassess the situation - even after funneling countless hours into trying something new.

My question is just this: Is something new needed if we just fix whats broken? Rank rewards have been requested for as long as we've had a ranking system! It doesnt have to be cosmetics - even just auric cells or shards for every day at a specific rank. Doesnt even have to be a large amount!

What do you guys think? Should MMR be worked on more and released? Do you think its needed?

Comments

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,033

If they want to be seen as a competitive game, yes.

If they want to be seen as a party game, no.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287

I dint know if it was but I went up 6 ranks with it and now I’m totally screwed as killer.

• AshesofDreams
    AshesofDreams Member Posts: 20

Before it I was getting consistently matched with Ranks 1-4 as a Rank 14 Killer. After it I was matched with Ranks 15-8, seemed way more fair. I don't know why it was working for me but not others. If it had worked as promised then I think it would have been great but a Rank 1 Killer against Ranks 20s... what happened?

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    edited August 2020

Ranks don't really matter, besides a slightly higher concentration of good players the further you rank. Because of this, people will never again trust the ranking system regardless of whether or not it works. Besides, the Devs already admitted the MMR system doesnt take much into account - it ignores add-ons, for one thing. It's basically Ranks 2.0: The Hidden.

• MeatBycicle
    MeatBycicle Member Posts: 756

Honestly nothing changed on my end, as a red rank killer im still only getting sweaty red rank survivors no matter what killer I play. As a red rank survivor I'm only going against brown - green rank killers.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

Well with players still prioritising kills over emblems, then they needed to either tell people to focus on them (but even THEY don't know what a "win" is) or come up with a new system. They tried and it didn't work.