The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

The Current State of DBD: As described by a frustrated fan.

After a year and a half of getting toxic survivors and killers who were 2 color ranks higher than me, the MMR update came out and finally gave me some good matches. People who were polite, fun to play against, and of my skill level. I was actually having fun for once, which had not been the case for a while prior to the update.

Since the MMR retraction this morning, I have gotten paired once again with Red Ranks I cant keep up with, who say awful things in the post chat afterwards. This has really gotten me thinking about the current state of the game as a whole and felt I wanted to share my thoughts on how the Dev team has been handling it.

I'll start off by saying this: frankly, I'm just sick and tired of this issue with your game. It's been years and you still can't get a handle on your matchmaking system. Then, the one time you put out an update that seems to help, you remove it. I'm fed up with it. It's not cute anymore, you've been out for 4 years. It's time to fix it. I just don't have fun anymore. I stood in a corner trying to de-rank for 2 days straight and had 10x the amount of fun than I have playing a normal trial.

Dead By Daylight is a game I've loved since the Beta, so I wanted to speak out as a passionate fan of your franchise. The interactions back then between personable game Devs and their excited players. But now the community's turned sour, and the Dev team isn't far behind. Hell, I don't even know anymore if you'll even give these concerns the time of day. You guys have stopped being the always-open-with-your-fans Dev team that you were in the early days.

You need to be open with your community. You have to tell us what's wrong. Because right now your fan-base is just sitting in the dark, not understanding half the decisions you make.

As a game developer myself, I understand that game balance and multiplayer connections are not easy beasts to tame. I've always taken your side, always said you knew what you've been doing. But now, 4 years down the road, all of your actions and behavior (pun only mildly intended) have changed my mind.

Your game is entirely based on matchmaking and multiplayer interconnections, and has been out for 4 years. I just don't understand how this can still be a problem. Maybe instead of pumping out so much content you should stop and realize that your game isn't working properly. You need to address the problems.

Every new addition adds so many bugs you don't fix. Every bugfix adds more problems than solutions. I say this as a fan, but one who can only take so much: Something has to be done here, because I want DBD to have a long, successful career, not die out because the player-base is fed up with your bullshit.

Please read this, both the Dev team and the player-base. We as a community have come to expect more from the Dev team, so it's time we either get what we pay for, or give up on DBD. And Devs, you need to talk to us. I know the ######### that plague this game's populous are scary and they might have rabies or something, but the rest of us won't bite unless you force us into a corner.

Thank you for your time.

Signed: A Very Frustrated Fan.

P.S. As someone who dabbles in 3D modeling, I have to show some love to the people in the art and modeling department. Your game may be slowly crashing inward onto itself, but damn are those some beautiful models. <3

Comments

• MottledElm
    MottledElm Member Posts: 85

This is the proof that whatever the devs do, someone will always complain

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383

Then, the one time you put out an update that seems to help, you remove it

The mmr didn't always work as intented. If it worked for you, great! But many survivors and killers were being matched with new players which resulted in matches being even worse quality than before.

• cyniChris
    cyniChris Member Posts: 207

I'm glad you had a good time with the MMR system. Most of us had boring matches cos we kept getting matched with new players who we could absolutely steamroll.

We desperately need a good matchmaking system. The ranks needs to be hidden, for a start. They're no indication of player skill. I've faced yellow ranks who have performed better than reds.

Some communication would be nice. Not that BS matchmaking Q&A - we need some honest and open communication. Tell us what's going on for once.

We're getting crossplay soon. I can't wait to see how badly the devs screw it up, because we all know they will.

• Drag0n100
    Drag0n100 Member Posts: 40

If you took the time to actually read my statement, you'd have seen that I've always defended the Devs decisions. This is my first time expressing frustration. There are people that just complain because they didn't get what they want, or their favorite perk got nerfed. But I post here in the hopes to spark conversation about how this game we love can be improved.

• Drag0n100

After posting, this fact has since come to my attention. I wish that there was a solution that could work for everyone, because the frustrations of matchmaking are probably the highest they've ever been.

• Drag0n100

I agree with you almost entirely. My only disagreement is that we should hide player rank. I'm afraid that if players are not shown the ranks of the players they're competing against, the Devs will not be motivated to change the matchmaking, as no one will have any specific evidence that there is a rank gap in their lobby.

It does suck that the MMR was not helping everyone as well as it was helping me, I wish we had a more permanent and effective matchmaking solution. It seems we'll just have to wait around and see what the Devs decide to do.

• JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174

I was one of those people it worked well for and I'm annoyed it's gone. Since today is rank reset I'm gonna do some challenges and daily as killer before throwing matches to derank to hopefully be viable with more than 3 of the 20 killers available