What are your thoughts on zarina as a charecter

2»

Comments

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

She feels generic for me.

Nailed, while this archetype was rare a long time ago, now is super abundant, its similar to PoC women with attitude and an afro, it feels like most developers went with "Oh look, how progressive and inclusive Ill carbon copy the design", they dont feel forced but they do feel uninspired.

Jane for example is a decent Zarina archetype (strong-willed minority woman with principles) but she doesnt feel as reiterative as Zarina.

• leatherfav88
    leatherfav88 Member Posts: 209

I think the devs wanted an equal number of boys and girls in the game, the fact that zarina is lebanese is something i dont really care about as long as the charecter is well written, i think if zarina gets her own cutscene in the game she could be more than just someone the devs decided to write in becuase of they wanted to be inclusive.

• Yung_Slug
    Yung_Slug Member Posts: 2,238

Excluding licensed chapters, the last 3 survivors we got were all "strong woman who takes a stand to fight injustice". Jane and Yui are still both distinct and interesting characters, however.

Zarina on the other hand... falls flat. I'm not sure whether they're trying way too hard to make you care about her story or they're just not going about it the wrong way, but I wasn't really invested.

She doesn't stand out as a character to me. It feels like she uses elements that can already be found in other characters (Jane and Nancy, for instance). I appreciate that they tied her into the killer's story, but other than that she's just... a character that happened I guess. Doesn't help that her perks kinda flopped as well, probably due to the perks that could have fit her personality going to previous characters with similar personalities.

• Walker_of_the_fog_96
    Walker_of_the_fog_96 Member Posts: 1,238

I only bought chains of hate only for deathslinger and all the perks, zarina will be with adam and jeff in the corner of silence.

• FluffySharkz_
    FluffySharkz_ Member Posts: 48

what about this skin where she literally has a camera around her neck

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255

To be honest I didn't know that it existed. It looks like a nice skin, kudos to the team that made it, but riddle me this. If she was captured when in the middle of her work, wouldn't the camera be looser so she could use it when she's in the Entity's realm?

I'll be blunt there's a lot you could do with Zarina's archetype, but if there was one word to convey what I wanted for her, give her soul.

• TheRockstarKnight
    TheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 2,171

Every time I see Zarina I just think about the Survivor they teased in the Archives and wonder why we couldn't have gotten that character.

Like, why was 'amateur filmmaker from New York who lost their father' such a better idea for a playable character than 'police detective committed to tracking down and thwarting Entity cultists in order to stop their nightmarish rituals'?

Like the latter character could have been Lebanese too.

And I feel like there's more xenophobia story opportunities to explore in law enforcement than in high school lunches or amateur filmmaking; if that's something they were really wanting to do with their character.

• Zayn
    Zayn Member Posts: 365

I used to think of Zarina as forgettable but I've started to play her a lot recently after p3ing her and even bought 3 of her outfits and I actually find her really cool. I actually went ahead and read her lore carefully and I think she's pretty interesting.

• Inji
    Inji Member Posts: 1,096
    edited August 2020

I really like her look and her cosmetics. Her lore is one of grief. I would love to learn more about her tbh, since there is not much that we know other then her motivation.

This is my outfit for her that I'm loving a lot:

Post edited by Inji on
  • janeromeroismyqueen
    janeromeroismyqueen Member Posts: 10

I really like Zarina. I'd say she's probably my second favorite female survivor after Jane.

As a character though, I think she's got a kind of generic backstory--but reading her cosmetics descriptions kind of help to flesh her out as a really cool activist who fights for what she believes in.

I think she has some really cute cosmetics as well. I'm really rushing through this Rift trying to get her Greek Legends outfit, I'm way too excited for it.

• GreyBigfoot
    GreyBigfoot Member Posts: 954

I think they're pretty great, but Yui was released the chapter before and they stole the show, even with the buffer between chapters.

The backstory is pretty long winded and unnecessary, but the fact that they're close to the killer from their chapter is cool. (and they're not even a licensed character)

As for looks, I'm not a fan of the hair, and only 2 of the other options look good imo.