You'd think cross-play would decrease matchmaking times

SasukeKun
SasukeKun Member Posts: 1,858
edited August 2020 in General Discussions

/spoiler It doesn't, and my friends still complain about the wait times to find a match

Comments

• Eleghost
    Eleghost Member Posts: 1,118

that depends on what role you play. Pretty sure a lot of console played survivor so killer queues are pretty nice.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

It does for me.

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001

It got faster for me, instant queues early in the morning, almost instant in the afternoon and vert fast at night time, central time for killer.

But my survivor queues got slightly slower, takes me like 2 min to find a match.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627

do you play survivor or killer? which rank?

I'm both red rank and also noticed longer/equally long survivor queues and fast killer queues.

I didn't really play afternoon, more like evening to night (europe UTC+2)

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
  • TrevorLahey93
    TrevorLahey93 Member Posts: 170

Yeah same, at least for survivor. It might be the time I play during but cross-platform seems to have increased my survivor que by quite a long time on PC. Killer wait time still instant as per usual. Really makes no sense...

• SasukeKun

yeah i don't understand how it works anymore lol. I am glad about cross play in general tho

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001
  • Mozzie
    Mozzie Member Posts: 618
    edited August 2020

It's quite obvious as to why it's hurting survivor queue times. People do not generally want to play as killer, they want to play with their friends. If your queue time was generally 2 minutes for a survivor match before the crossplay change you can add another minute or two for each platform they've enabled. Turning cross-play on or off isn't going to impact it either. This will be a permanent change as the pool of survivors has grown disproportionately larger.

In order to counter this BHVR thought it a great idea to add a timer to the matchmaking. On PC, at the 5:20 mark the game will throw you into a server with random inexperienced survivors and killers.

• wisdomwielder
    wisdomwielder Member Posts: 348

I think consoles infected us with their bad queue times lol. Killer is instant and survivor takes forever, especially in the evening. I think it's because it sucks so much to play killer on console, that there are hardly any console killers, so the PC killers have to pick up the slack now.

• stargazer9
    stargazer9 Member Posts: 649

It's faster for me.

• Pulvoriser
    Pulvoriser Member Posts: 48

As a PlayStation user I can confirm survivor waits are faster.

Went from an average 7 to 9 minute wait to 4 which is amazing

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

it does if you play on console and your queue times went down.

• SasukeKun

maybe it depends on the day

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

Had some survivor dailies, so ran that. Took ten minutes to get into my matches, and due to rank reset, I'm sitting on rank 13. Goodness. . .

• MissKitty95
    MissKitty95 Member Posts: 786
    edited August 2020

I’m on PlayStation I play solo survivor haven’t played killer on the crossplay update , but my queues are Almost instant

european servers

Post edited by MissKitty95 on
  • burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,155
    edited August 2020

The thing is all or rather most crossplay brought for pc atleast should be an inflation of survivors.

I play on pc in eu and previous to crossplay my queue times as killer varied by day time. From minutes in the afternoon to nearly instant late in the evening. So from the 50k ppl in steam slightly more then 20% play killer in the afternoon and this relative percentage goes to nearly perfect 20% or less in the evening resulting in instant lobbies for killers (don't play survivor, so no idea on that side).

Now crossplay came and I don't think many pc player opted out but nearly no killer from consoles opted in or they switched to survivor since they didn't want to play against survivor with better framerates than the ones that could already easily 360 them.

So the survivor base increased but killer roughly stayed so the relative percentage of killer dropped below or to 20% at daytime and clearly below 20% at night.

All this is just hypothetical since we don't have the number and it may vary by regions since I read changes in both directions for survivor as well as killer.

So it is really confusing without ppl giving info about platform, region, time of day and now opting in or out.

Additionally there are the groups on each platform that opted out from crossplay and now have all their reduced queue populations.

It is to see in the future how this balanced itself out. If most of console player opt back out of crossplay or stay and how big the respective opted out part of each platforms community will get.

• ZaKzan
    ZaKzan Member Posts: 544

the issue is that more players would mean more games being played per hour, which means less wait overall. I don't think the MM / dedicated servers are working properly. There are games that I play that have extremely stringent matchmaking, have about 3000 players playing, and queues are like 2 minutes max. There has to be something wrong with the way this game matches people. The ratio of survivors / killers would have to be like 200 to 1 or vice versa for these queue times to make sense.

• FluffySharkz_
    FluffySharkz_ Member Posts: 48

as survivor queues for me take less than 45 seconds on average now, and killer queues are about the same in my experience.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,155

Again I would need more info from you to comprehend your queue times.

Platform, region, time of day and crossplay on or off?

For me on pc in eu there was a evident change of survivor to killer ratio from afternoon to late evening, all before crossplay.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627

From the feedback so far, and some ideas from streamers and their chat, it sounds like PC palyers and console survivors make use of the crossplay but console killers don't. Because many console survivors say the queue gets better, as they get a larger pool of killers, and PC killers say queue gets faster as they have a larger pool of survivors. I can confirm that from PC survivor and PC killer view.

But as PC survivors now have to share their killers with console survivors, PC survivors queue gets worse. Just a thought

• TrevorLahey93
    TrevorLahey93 Member Posts: 170

Lol bro can you read I said I play on PC. And no, it doesn't make any sense at all. If I am able to play with more people from different platforms why wouldn't my que times go DOWN?

• SasukeKun

yeah the survivor que can range from like 3 minutes-10 minutes it seems

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

As far as i know, console has much more survivors than killers. So, crossplay highly increases the survivors, and killers only moderate.

Therefore, the times for console survivors goes down, because they have a better survivor/killer ratio, and the times for pc survivors go up, because their ratio gets worse.

And if you are one of the console survivors, the system makes sense for you, because you get games for frequent.

I dont know what more to say, because i didnt know what was unclear about my statement in the first place.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,089

The usual for me - during the Day Instant Survivor Queues and long Killer Queues (but faster than before). In the evening instant Killer Queues but longer Survivor Queues (but slower than before).

So my Killer Queues during the slow times became faster and my Survivor Queues became longer during the Slow Times, but they are instant for the respective other role like before.