Would you be against DBD base game be free?

It’s just a thought, I know they wouldn’t do it but like would people who own the game already be mad? Would it hurt the company? The game has DLC’s, Cosmetics and The Rift that people have to pay for, so it wouldn’t be a bad idea. Also, the player base will increase drastically, I say this because there is a lot of players who play on Xbox, since they are most likely subscribed to Xbox Game pass, which DBD happens to be one of the games included. Thoughts?

Comments

• GhostFace_Killer
    GhostFace_Killer Member Posts: 55

one of my favorite fps games is Paladins, which is free. While it does have toxic player i dont think it lends itself to the trolling possibilities that dbd has. Seeing as f2p games tend to be a haven for trolls, cos i mean if you get banned you lose literally nothing and can just make a new account. I think it would be a bad idea simply just for the amount of toxicity it would bring

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287

i Got for free 2 years ago. Never would’ve tried it out otherwise. I play it more than games I paid for.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

Could have worked, could still work if previous owners are compensated. DLC and cosmetics are enough to live off of, and I would love to see more players.

• KRG
    KRG Member Posts: 96

No. That brings trollers and kids and we dont need that here. Not saying that we dont have that already, but the numbers in that would increase a lot!

• cheetocultleader
    cheetocultleader Member Posts: 1,259

Trolls, hackers, botters, & more galore. No thanks.

• Zani22
    Zani22 Member Posts: 444

Depends on mobile dbd is free that good thing is lots of ppl.

The bad news we have kids

Honestly ill be honest the mobile community is weird

Legion is obviously well liked because of the kids at least.

But honestly it's not bad for being free

What you have to remeber is

A lot of ppl payed for this game alredy making it free means they need to be acounted for.

• CornHub
    CornHub Member Posts: 1,864

Not really, popular free games have always had a hacking/botting/trolling/smurfing problem. If they had a lackluster playerbase with little growth I could see them making dbd free.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

I doubt there would be any compensation. I played several games that went f2p, and i never got anything for having it bought before.

• IMilkNobody
    IMilkNobody Member Posts: 114

i better get my 18 dosh back lol

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,804

As a TF2 player who played during the lag and aimbot infestation

please god no

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,164

Isn't it already free for Xbox game pass?

PS4 had it for free couple years ago with ps+.

I guess free on pc is different than free on console if there's an increased concern for hackers.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

i wouldnt like it to be free tbh.

free games tend to attract tons of hackers and bots, which i would prefer to stay out of DbD entirely.

• Justalittlepeeck
    Justalittlepeeck Member Posts: 1,101

As long as ALL DLC characters are available for free from the beginning, since otherwise we would be getting even MORE obvious pay to win situation.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

Nope.

You see all the more problematic players in the game right now? Also the complaining about particular perks, especially in combination? Add WAY more of that, plus sky-rocket the entitled line of "if you don't like it, then don't play".

• Tactless_Ninja
    Tactless_Ninja Member Posts: 1,791
    edited August 2020

F2P models usually have aggressive microtransactions implemented into them. So on top of needing to buy extra characters and cosmetics, you'd have boosters and one use items being sold as well.

Maybe you'd need to buy space as well. Whoops, ran out of rooms for cosmetics, would you like to buy more?

Post edited by Tactless_Ninja on
  • HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2020

I had a very bad experience with TF2, once it went F2P the servers were swarmed by AWFUL and clueless players, they were so bad it wasnt enjoyable to play with or against them, on your team they were useless, on the enemy team they were boring to massacre.

Unless they put a decent MMR system I think F2P would scare away most people playing Survivor by the sheer amount of potatos we would get paired, also decent Killers would quit as stomping potatos all day long gets boring, eventually.

• Justalittlepeeck

???

You have to pay real money additionally to get access to certain characters and perks which give you advantage in game.

• Waffleyumboy

Yes but that's always in the game, dbd base game being free doesn't change that.

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

DBD would be so much worse if it went free. I can't imagine the insane surge in hacking and abusing everything since if you get banned you'll just download it again for free. It would be hell, enough to make me stop playing probably forever if it escalated too high.

We have more then enough players to sustain DBD so there's not a single good reason to go free without worsening what we already have.

• Justalittlepeeck
  • Waffleyumboy

How does it make it worse? More players coming in not willing to pay?

• xBEATDOWNSx
    xBEATDOWNSx Member Posts: 636

Honestly not for it. It would mean more players coming and going, more toxicity, and more monetization.

I bought this game three years ago on Xbox and haven't paid more than $100 between the chapters and rift passes. I'm okay with that. But going FTP opens a whole new can of worms that i would rather not deal with.

If anything, they should lower the base game cost to $20 and maybe bundle a chapter with it. Lower the barrier for entry and perhaps through in a training mode so new players doing feel as alienated.

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893

Yes, because they have too many bugs, and not enough precautions in place to stop exploiters from coming back over and over and over again. So, they can stay paid access.

I wouldn't recommend this go free, until their client is lock tight. Also Xbox Game Pass is a monthly subscription and its tied to your Microsoft account. Its not technically free.

• undeadcookie
    undeadcookie Member Posts: 198

"free for Xbox game pass"

$180 a year is a funny definition of free

• bm33

You are paying a membership fee to have access to games without purchasing them. If you paid $180 to play one game you could've bought for $30 that's a bad decision on your part. If you paid $180 to play multiple games that would've totaled to over $180 had you bought them all then you are essentially playing games for free. I spend $60 on ps+, dbd was included one month for free - I don't consider I paid for the game because I pay for ps+.

• aregularplayer
    aregularplayer Member Posts: 906

yes. dedicated servers sux

• undeadcookie
    undeadcookie Member Posts: 198

Well now that 12 Month Gold has been discontinued, I'm really paying $120 a year plus the $30 price tag since DBD is an online-only game. But that's not the point. You gave the Game Pass and PS+ as an example of the game itself being free. With PS+, the game was offered for free on top of the $60/year price tag that you pay to access online, which is a necessity to even play the game due to its online nature. I'm saying that Game Pass isn't exactly equivalent to PS+ offering it for free, as you need Game Pass Ultimate if you want to have the Game Pass subscription alongside the ability to access online play.

PS+ is something the majority of PS Network users have, as it allows you to access major components of titles you own, so the game could practically be considered free there. Game Pass Ultimate allows you to access it alongside other titles, but is considerably worse since if you just want the game, it costs more than to simply purchase it and online access separately.

All this is relevant only to the hypothetical question of DBD alone being F2P, so I'm saying that Game Pass Ultimate isn't exactly the same sort of "free" as PS+ offering the game for free.

• Demogordon_Ramsay
    Demogordon_Ramsay Member Posts: 1,503

Honestly, if it weren't for the threat of hackers, I wouldn't disagree with this idea. The game has mountains of DLC, some of which can only be bought and the others take forever to grind out. Same goes for the literal tens of thousands of dollars of cosmetics in the store. All that on top of a 30 dollar base game would have turned me away if I'd bought this game any time past 2018.

• Entity_Lich94
    Entity_Lich94 Member Posts: 320

As great as it would be to have a load of new players, I would say no to that due to the fact it would bring in a loads of hackers. Look at Destiny 2, as soon as the base game became free the amount of hackers on it skyrocketed. I can definitely see this happening on DBD if this was free at base too.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

More players, especially in a FREE game, will mean that people are more likely to do it.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

I bought the main game when it was in beta, all the DLCs except 1 so far, multiple store outfits & multiple Premium Passes so far. (Though 1 of them was free.)

No, i wouldn't mind if the game went F2P.

Rather, i'd be kinda proud: I'd feel like i would've been a (tiny) contributing factor to them not needing a price tag on the main game anymore.

Plus, in general, you'd open the doors to many more players.

Idk about other platforms, but on Steam, you can refund if you only played an hour or 2.

But F2P is still more enticing, cause that doesn't involve any payments to make and refunds to do, and there's no time limit for "testing out a game" in F2P games.

You just hit download and you'll play it as long as you want.

• bm33

People already paying for that game pass have access to DBD without making an additional purchase which is why it's considered free.

• handfulofrain
    handfulofrain Member Posts: 317

Yes because then DLCs and cosmetics become even more expensive lol

• thetoxicteacher
    thetoxicteacher Member Posts: 48

A good game. More enjoyable than Overwatch, imo. I wish it got more attention.

• GhostFace_Killer
    GhostFace_Killer Member Posts: 55

It's alot of fun fr, i dont play it everyday. But for a while a i was grinding hard to get up past platinum in ranked. Now that i got my dumb little loading border and my Golden IO skin i dont play as much....

But sometimes on the weekends ill go in for a few hour long binge, currently trying to get Golden Imani