The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Was 99ing exit gate always a thing or was it introduced with the endgame collapse?

and if it was always a thing, why are people just now complaining about it? i've only seen people start to complain once EGC was introduced so i'm thinking maybe it wasn't always possible. and if it wasn't always possible, how did exit gate work pre-EGC. i played dbd pre-EGC but its been so long that i forgot

Comments

• Zeus
    Zeus Member Posts: 2,112
    edited August 2020

Before EGC you can just open the gates and hold the game hostage. Now you 99% it and hold it hostage.

Edit: By hostage I meant not having the timer start. I apologize to everyone who was offended for some reason. I was a bit pre occupied

Post edited by Zeus on
  • CakeDuty
    CakeDuty Member Posts: 995

I get survivors 99% gates can be frustrating, but it's not exactly holding the game hostage. Killers can open the gate and start EGC, if survivors are just idling.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,130

Before the EGC, there was no timer to end the match. Survivors could open the exit gates, then screw around on the map indefinitely. There was no reason to 99% the exit gates because there was no end-game timer to avoid.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

It's not holding the game hostage as the killer can open the gate themselves.

But yeah, survivors figured out that one almost immediately. ECG doesn't trigger if the gates don't open, and it gives a bit more time to go for that last minute hook-rescue without time pressure and there's less chance of the killer camping in endgame for that one kill.

• Issahim
    Issahim Member Posts: 4

ohhh that makes sense. so they COULD have 99ed it but there was no point. when opening the gate, were you locked in animation? if not, did progress reset if you stopped opening the gate? i just cant remember any of this stuff for some reason

• EmpireWinner
    EmpireWinner Member Posts: 1,054

Not sure if you know what hostage means after that sentence.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,130
    edited August 2020

Opening the gate worked the same way it does now. Survivors could stop opening at any point and there was no regression on progress. So, you could partially open a gate, run away when the killer shows up, and someone else could finish opening it. Just like now, only since there was no timer it was actually best to completely open the exit gate before making a save.

Edit: I forgot! There was one reason to 99% the exit gates before the EGC: to try to avoid Bloodwarden. Duh. But yeah, that was pretty rare.

• Issahim
    Issahim Member Posts: 4

i feel like it should regress now if you let it go. takes away all endgame pressure when you just 99 it

• Zeus
    Zeus Member Posts: 2,112

Chill I know what it means. By hostage I meant not having the time start. I was busy

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

It was a thing well before EGC. People have forgotten that almost every survivor already 99'd the gates to avoid Bloodwarden.

• hillbillyclaudmain69
    hillbillyclaudmain69 Member Posts: 1,528

Egc isn't a tool for killer. It's to prevent taking the game hostage. You can open the gates so 99 isn't a problem.

• Xbob42
    Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,117

I agree. Not that I think it would make a huge difference in many matches that even get to EGC. The timer is pretty long and it slows to a crawl if anyone is downed or hooked. There's really not as much pressure as the game would have you believe.

There are, of course, exceptions, but generally the timer ain't gonna kill anyone even if they pop the door immediately and have to go back to rescue people.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,045

EGC, while being killer-sided, is not there to give additional Kills or pressure to the Killer. It is only there to let the Match end so that "funny people" cannot stealth around the Map while the Gates are open.

If a Killer wants to have the EGC, they can open the Gates on their own, this is the reason why this was introduced.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776

You could 99 the gates before. The only reason you would do that was to play around Bloodwarden.

Also, all the comments about survivors abusing loopholes, holding the game hostage and a bunch of more nonsense show that many people still don't know what the purpose of EGC actually is.

If you're one of those people, I suggest you read the developers' notes, or what this guy below said, so you get a better understanding. EGC wasn't meant to favor any side, nor to give extra kills or extra escapes. This has been repeated ad nauseam. Time you guys finally get the memo.

• ZaKzan
    ZaKzan Member Posts: 544

it is by far the most stupidest thing you can do as survivor, it hinders the survivors so severely as most of the time the killer is chasing you to the exit, it just gives the killer so much more time to down you

I really don't understand why people don't just open the exit gates, the game gives you plenty of time to save a couple people, get downed, be hooked, and then be saved. I love it when people do it and I'm killer, I can usually get a kill just based off of that alone.

• 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470

People learned it as soons as Blood Warden was added.

• BillyMain77
    BillyMain77 Member Posts: 415

This is the potato that opens the door when someone is hooked.

You should always 99 the gate untill all the survivors are close.

If you dont want to help save your team mates and you want to play it safe then be a team player and just sit at the lever and open the door when you see your team mates in your line of view.

Dont open the gate and start the timer which is 2 minutes i believe.

Some times the person going for the save gets down and now you have to think of a new plan, or maybe everybody is injured and needs to heal to make a safe rescue.

You never know what can happen and tbh some of the most fun ive had in dbd is after the gens are completed and were all working together to try and make sure everybody gets out.

Dont be that potato that just adds unnecessary pressure to the team by giving everybody a timer.

• Slashstreetboy
    Slashstreetboy Member Posts: 1,811

As the others have said, there was no need to do that before EGC was introduced. Nowadyas it´s done to circumvent the EGC to have more time to go for saves, search chests or do bones.

It´s only a problem if you have someone hooked more than 10 feet away from the gate so as Killer you´d have to give up the hook to start the EGC.

• Khar
    Khar Member Posts: 640

It's not just the presumption of Blood Warden. It's to so there's no timer for how long they can be in the match to attempt a rescue.

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

The amount of times I've been running, unhooked to the door to see it 99d with NOBODY THERE only for me to go down trying to finish it, says otherwise.

• Freki
    Freki Member Posts: 1,903

but the killer can open a gate even if it's 99'd. so they can't hold the game hostage

• TWiXT
    TWiXT Member Posts: 2,063
    edited August 2020

I've been thinking that they should change the endgame mechanic a little with 1 of 2 slight alterations:

1. When the gates are powered they automatically gain opening progress themselves at a rate of .22 charges per second. This means that regardless of survivors pulling the switch, the gates will open in 90 seconds on their own. This ensures that survivors can't abuse it indefinitely, or save progress until it's convenient for them to open the gate anymore. This also has the benefit of making it so that in the situations wherein the killer closes the hatch, the remaining survivor(s) in the realm only have to avoid the killer for 90 seconds for the gates to open, which can be seen as a free escape for the survivor to some people, but 90 seconds is a long time to avoid detection from a killer, so it can also be seen as more fair in that predicament. A simple way to make that situation a bit more intense and fair for the killer is if crows started pestering stationary survivors much sooner than normal when the EGC is triggered, e.g. 15 seconds of stillness to gain 1 crow, 30 for 2, 45 for 3. Otherwise, pulling the switch only speeds up the gate opening progress.
    2. Gate opening progress regresses at a rate of .5 charges per second, meaning that if you 99% a gate, it will regress to 0 progress at around 40 seconds of not being interacted with. This alternative is more punishing to survivors who don't commit to opening a gate and starting the EGC, but also ensures that the mechanic can't be abused. It also pretty much gives the killer a win against survivors caught in the EGC if the killer started it by closing the hatch, since stealthily attempting to open a gate and escape while the killer is patrolling them will be much more difficult.

Currently killers can open the gates themselves to do this, but in all honesty, the only times a killer ever does is either as a declaration of surrender, or a poor attempt to get use out of Bloodwarden. The original objective of the EGC was to prevent toxic survivors from holding up the game by t-bagging at the gate, or hiding out in the map until the killer either finds them or DC's, while also making the endgame more intense for survivors by putting pressure on them. In practice however, it's still too lenient when they can avoid activating the EGC altogether by 99'ing the gates until its convenient for them, and doesn't really deter toxic behavior during endgame, and rarely puts any real pressure on them at all.

If one of these suggestions were put into the game however, the EGC will have to activate soon after the gates are powered. In no.1 its only a matter of time that the survivors have to work against, and in no.2 it's on the survivors to open the gates asap or risk losing gate progress. Either way, the result is faster and more intense endgames for all parties.

What do you guys think?

• V1V3
    V1V3 Member Posts: 87

I think survivors already did it if someone is downed or hooked. It definitely became more common once endgame collapse was introduced which I thought the point of it was to end games sooner despite this strategy being able to fully counter it and even Blood Warden. Enable for endgame collapse to properly work, it should activate once the last gen is done, but the timer for it is longer to make it less killer sided.

• BillyMain77
    BillyMain77 Member Posts: 415

While this is a possibility and it happens then im sure you've been playing long enough to have had a game where you died because the timer ran out of had to leave someone or be left simply because their isnt enough time to make the save.

Rule of thumb dont open the doors prematurely. If all the gens are done need to stick with your team instead of running off solo.

If more survivors did this then making saved wouldnt be a problem because someone would be there to take a hit and open the door.

Plus if you have ds then your good.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

It's intended, not a loophole. Devs have addressed the salty complaints and made it clear that egc is there to end the game, not to give killers free pressure.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

Actually many survivors do bones. In my games as killer there are at least 2 dulls broken and against swf they usually break all 5. Survivors aren't incompetent hypocrites, many of them know what they're doing and how the game works.

• Koukdw
    Koukdw Member Posts: 279

Nobody is holding the game hostage. The killer can go to the gate and activate EGC

• thetoxicteacher
    thetoxicteacher Member Posts: 48
  • Tricks
    Tricks Member Posts: 957

Killer can choose to open the gate and start EGC at any point once all gens are completed which negates survivors ability to hold the game hostage.

The only way they can do this is by refusing to complete the last gen and just going full blendette immersion stealth mode

• CakeDuty
    CakeDuty Member Posts: 995

Go to the gate and hold Space, if I remember correctly, haven't had to do it for a while now