Is Overcharge any good?

I levelled up Doctor to level 35 to unlock Monitor and Abuse as a teachable and am wondering now should I unlock Overcharge as a teachable as well? Since he's already close to the right level anyway. 

Comments

• pemberley
    pemberley Member Posts: 1,510
    Overcharge is his best perk imo. 

Combine it with a generator hex like Ruin or Lullaby and Unnerving Presence and it is truly evil. 
  • The_Fallen_Utopia
    The_Fallen_Utopia Member Posts: 441
    @pemberley Coincidentally I already run a build with Huntress Lullaby and Unnerving Presence sometimes. I had an option slot that's currently just got Sloppy Butcher in it because I have nothing better. Guess I'll replace it with Overcharge. Thanks
  • Cass
    Cass Member Posts: 47
    edited October 2018

I used overcharge for quite some time and decided to drop it. Just like with unnerving presence it doesn't work on good players because they pass the skill check easily.

You can compare the skill check difficultly with that from DS.

• The_Fallen_Utopia
    @Cass I've made alot of people miss DS because of Unnerving Presence already so Overcharge might work with it too. I use it on a big terror radius build with Huntress Lullaby. 
  • Cass

@The_Fallen_Utopia said:
    @Cass I've made alot of people miss DS because of Unnerving Presence already so Overcharge might work with it too. I use it on a big terror radius build with Huntress Lullaby. 

Lullaby adds a twist for sure! You have a tactic there :)

But does Unnerving Presence influence DS or Overcharge at all? There is no chance involved because they pop instantly and the success zone doesn't get smaller I think?

• The_Fallen_Utopia
    @Cass I've tested it. Unnerving makes both those skill checks smaller. 
  • Cass

@The_Fallen_Utopia said:
    @Cass I've tested it. Unnerving makes both those skill checks smaller. 

Good info! thanks a lot. I will try them out.

• The_Fallen_Utopia
    edited October 2018
    @Cass No problem Also the regression penalty from Overcharge and Lullaby stack making a failed Overcharge skill check regress the generator by an additional 11%. If the totem lasts awhile this can add to quite alot of extra time I think. 
  • Cass

yes very. As survivor I am always surprised I fail so many spellchecks when Lullaby is fully charged. Its a sneaky perk for sure.

• The_Fallen_Utopia
    @Cass Lullaby would be much stronger if the game didn't tell survivors it was there but rather made them figure out what was wrong when the skill check warning starts at the wrong time. 
  • The_Fallen_Utopia
    @Cass here's the build I want to run if you're interested. Wraith with Huntress Lullaby, Unnerving Presence, Overcharge and Haunted Grounds while using the Beast add on. 
  • Cass

@The_Fallen_Utopia said:
    @Cass here's the build I want to run if you're interested. Wraith with Huntress Lullaby, Unnerving Presence, Overcharge and Haunted Grounds while using the Beast add on. 

My main is piggy. I am thinking now to run Unnerving Presence. Overcharge, Monitor & Abuse en Distressing. Must be massive when I get out of stealth.

• The_Fallen_Utopia
    @Cass Monitor and Abuse will only increase the terror radius while in a chase but yeah that could work. Personally Monitor and Abuse is one of my favourite perks. Makes survivors think you're further away then you really are sometimes 
  • iceman2kx
    iceman2kx Member Posts: 462

I'm not even good with survivor and I can easily pass the overcharge skill checks. On top of that, the gen regression is only 5% if they even fail a skill check. It takes a survivor just a few seconds to make up that progression. One of the most overrated perks IMO, I will never use it.There's too many other good perks that can be used instead.

• DeadByFlashlight
    DeadByFlashlight Member Posts: 1,642

Skillcheck builds only work against bad survivors.

If you derank to play in low ranks, then sure its a great perk but if you wanna do well with your build against competent teams, then you will have to look for another one

• The_Fallen_Utopia
    Thanks for the comments. I think I will get it as a teachable since I'm close to getting it anyway but won't rely on it for slowing the game down
  • Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

It's okay, but it's one of those that shines way more if it's in combination with other Perks.
    I myself can hit Overcharge Skill Checks just fine, even the first one cause i always expect them to pop.
    It's when someone runs a good Hex: Huntress Lullaby or Unnerving Presence that things start getting really ugly.

• The_Fallen_Utopia
    @Boss I see. Well I mentioned in an earlier comment that I was going to make a build using those 2 perks you just mentioned with Overcharge. I'll have to get it to level 3 on the character and see how the build does. 
  • Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

@The_Fallen_Utopia said:
    @Boss I see. Well I mentioned in an earlier comment that I was going to make a build using those 2 perks you just mentioned with Overcharge. I'll have to get it to level 3 on the character and see how the build does. 

I wouldn't depend solely on all those Perks btw.
    An Overcharge Skill Check made smaller by Unnerving Presence can just be countered by not touching the Generator until the Terror Radius is gone.
    And Hex: Huntress Lullaby is a Hex Perk, not to mention Survivors know about its existence as soon as they repair Generators.
    It's no fool proof plan and even good Doctors can lose the Hex very fast thanks to RNG.

• The_Fallen_Utopia
    @Boss well I was thinking of running it occasionally as a fun build not as my main build or anything like that. I don't like relying on Hex perks or gimmicky builds too much. 
  • White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

Overcharge is a good and fun perk until mid-ranks, but in high ranks it's wasted most of the times.

• Terrortot
    Terrortot Member Posts: 423
    Its good on freddy
  • The_Fallen_Utopia
    @Terrortot funny enough.. some people have actually made it work on Freddy and actually made effective builds out of it. I know Overcharge Freddy is a meme.. but I may run it as part of a build to slow the game down. Combined with Huntress Lullaby, sure you could get a free escape from dream world but that generator will lose quite alot of progress. 
  • Terrortot
    @Terrortot funny enough.. some people have actually made it work on Freddy and actually made effective builds out of it. I know Overcharge Freddy is a meme.. but I may run it as part of a build to slow the game down. Combined with Huntress Lullaby, sure you could get a free escape from dream world but that generator will lose quite alot of progress. 
    He gets a bad rap, he does need tweaking. However he is very deadly and frustrating with a little practice.
  • The_Fallen_Utopia
    @Terrortot I want him to be viable because he's one of my favourite horror movie characters to be honest.. so I hope that when he does get changes they are very good changes. 
  • Terrortot
    @Terrortot I want him to be viable because he's one of my favourite horror movie characters to be honest.. so I hope that when he does get changes they are very good changes. 
    I found the best games come from sleeping a couple before even chasing one.  Just raise havoc and confusion, before anyone starts getting injured. Had a bunch of dc's today, bittersweet.  

I cam actually farm bloodpoints with him better than doc
  • The_Fallen_Utopia
    @Terrortot I find Wraith good for farming points too since I run the Beast add on alot I get 1100 points per surprise attack.. so max that out every game. Don't get many hunter points though because I usually cloak again after hitting someone. 
  • Terrortot
    @The_Fallen_Utopia the speed boost has been really nice, to me he just still isnt a good mindgame type killer, hes very much a quick first hit then back into chases.

• The_Fallen_Utopia
    @Terrortot I know what you mean. But the way I play Wraith involves alot of body blocking and mind games using the Ghost add on. Without the red stain it's much harder for survivors to know where I'll attack from. Sometimes all I do is uncloak and stand still and they run into me lol. 
  • Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772

I ran it for about 8 hours tonight and was suprised at how well it did. This was in red ranks too. Use it.

• Soapbar
    Soapbar Member Posts: 60

Overcharge is an awful perk. You won't even get the gen regression most of the time because it's the same skill check as DS or BNP. That's a skill check that survivors have hit a million times before and will continue to hit a million times. The only way to make them not hit is to be Doctor, get them into Tier 2 or have a whole bunch of anti-skill check perks (which probably still won't work).

The other big problem with is a problem discussed many times before, that being that survivors can hit the skill check telekinetically. Yes, if they tap the gen in a chase and then move away from it, the prompt will follow them. It's stupid. No other skill check works like this. Only Overcharge.

And even if a miracle happens and Overcharge does go off? Guess what, it's only FIVE PERCENT. It's a perk that doesn't work most of the time and when it does it does 5 times less damage than Pop, a perk that is far more consistent..

• MadArtillery
    MadArtillery Member Posts: 826

I'm not sure there is wny useful part of overcharge, especially given it gives survivors telekinesis so it doesn't even have the main benefit giving survivors a skill check would even have as they don't have to stay on the gen to hit it.