I turned off Crossplay and instantly got better games.

Options

I play console, PS4 to be exact. I tried crossplay for a full week doing nothing but solo Q. The result? I considered dropping the game entirely. I'm not going to blame one platform or the other but, I would say 88% of my games were complete garbage. From the teammates, to the killer, to the chases. Everything was awful.

Now if rank is on your mind then let me clarify by saying yes I'm red rank, consistently rank 2 & 3 but go up and down within it.

Every single game I was tunneled again and again. Other players would deliberately bring the killer to interrupt gens just because they didnt want to die. There was no teamwork. It was everyone for themself. Farming out the ***, people just letting others die on there first hook. Full health players running to the injured person to kill them instead.

The bottom line is with my experience, crossplay is the worst thing to have happened to me. But as soon as I turned it off I had such a better experience. 1000x better, and the ques were still the same speed if crossplay was turned on. I wasn't constantly tunneled, I actually got people in my rank as well. It was miracle. It's only been one day since I switched off Crossplay and I will never, ever turn it back on.

Tldr; If you are a console player I recommend you turn off Crossplay. It was the best decision I ever made.

Comments

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

That's how I felt after the first day of crossplay. Left on hook to die or struggle, usually die, unless I had another ps4 player in my lobby. Gens not getting done. Teammates from other platforms seemed to work more against eachother than with. Only escapes were when my lobby was mostly ps4 players. Also mostly got rainbow rank lobbies after waiting around 10 minutes for a match. Just overall terrible experience as solo.

Turned it off and wait times either side are only a minute or two, my teammates actually work together, escape/die are about 50/50. I'm happy it seems like alot of ps4 players feel the same since the waits aren't long, I'm playing with/against different players each match and the ranks are close to mine.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014
    Options

I haven't seen much change since Crossplay came around. Maybe a bit more 360's, but that's about it and I'm starting to get the hang of hitting those. I've ran into some camping killers, but that's not any different from my usual experience. Shrug I just don't notice much difference. Maybe it's because I came from a different platform.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014
    Options

Switch originally, changed to PS4 due to performance. Overall, my experience has been about the same. But I'm not red rank yet so we'll see if that changes.

• UseTheValve
    UseTheValve Member Posts: 350
    Options

Well I'm glad you shared that with us, I like having 1 community for the game instead of splitting it so I won't mind you console blendette's too much.

• bm33
    edited August 2020
    Options

The games have been so much better since I turned it off. It made me feel better about the decision too because so many have it off on ps4. I'm lower rank as killer since I don't take it seriously and mess around more than anything, had couple random rank 20 with one perk in my lobbies so even new players are opting out.

Post edited by bm33 on
  • Dito175
    Dito175 Member Posts: 1,391
    Options

As a ps4 player my experince is the same, my escape and kills rates are still 50/50.

• cheetocultleader
    cheetocultleader Member Posts: 1,259
    Options

It really is bad. I'm playing with someone tonight, but I'm going to test my games on PC tomorrow without crossplay. Between the lag and just bad gameplay, I'm over it. :/

• cheetocultleader
    cheetocultleader Member Posts: 1,259
    Options

Dude, I'm over here waiting 10+ minutes for survivor rounds. It was instant before. Killer ques are instant now. What does that say? O.o

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,703
    edited August 2020
    Options

The purpose of crossplay is primarily to let friends play together regardless of platform. This grows the game, because being able to play a fun game with your friends on other systems is not a very common feature and is therefore a big draw.

On paper Crossplay seems like it would help queue times; after all, you have more people matchmaking, so can't we all find matches more easily? In practice, that only makes sense for a game with a tiny player base. There are enough people playing that the issue isn't how many people are queueing. The issue is that the balance of killers to survivors is not optimal.

Let's do a little thought experiment. If you have 10,000 people playing DBD and there are slightly under 2,000 killer mains and slightly over 8,000 survivor mains - the ratio should be a bit more than 4 survivors to 1 killer because the killer always stays to the end of the match and survivors get to re-queue early - both sides will have very fast queue times. If you have 100,000 people playing DBD and there are 50,000 killer mains and 50,000 survivor mains, though, killer queue times are going to be absolutely horrendous, like probably 30-40 minutes, while survivor queue times are going to be near instant. It doesn't matter that the player base is 10 times larger, since the ratio is more relevant for matchmaking when the player base is not small.

Since Crossplay was enabled killer queue times have been near instant and survivor queue times are way longer than they were before for me (~5 minutes). That suggests that the balance of survivors to killers tilts towards survivor on console, and that would make sense given that the poor performance on console is particularly problematic when playing killer.

TL;DR Killer/Survivor balance matters more to queue times than overall player base. Crossplay just lets you play with your friends.

Post edited by notstarboard on
  • HollowsGrief
    HollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497
    Options

Go a read the explanation on crossplay yourself, it says it when you highlight it.

• Lufanati
    Lufanati Member Posts: 198
    Options

I'm enjoying crossplay immensely. Console players seem to be at such a handicap, lmao

• stargazer9
    stargazer9 Member Posts: 649
    edited August 2020
    Options

Lol! I literally just read your comment in another post where you complained about having to crossplay with PC and that turning it off will make queue times longer. Now you’re saying this. We’ve been telling you guys, there’s an option to disable it but instead of doing that first you decided to come on the forums and cry about something that has been completely optional from the start. Anyway, hope you’re happy now and you will no longer complain about this anymore.

• ShrekTheThird69
    ShrekTheThird69 Member Posts: 327
    Options

Killer games are now extremely easy and solo survivor is a complete nightmare, at least for me.

• shelobster
    shelobster Member Posts: 272
    Options

Going to turn it off today too. Clear toxicity towards people playing on a different platform plus as a red rank I keep being put into games where everyone else is yellow ranked including the killer.

Not the experience I'm looking for which is a shame since my first day with crossplay was amazing.

• Jasonisanicefella
    Jasonisanicefella Member Posts: 377
    Options

I agree, I took a break from DBD after trying crossplay for a few games.

I will wait to be back until more people on console will opt out so I can go back to the same queue times I was having before.

Right now you have no option, you either play cross play and find matches fast or you turn it off and spend 3-5 minutes looking for a match.

It has been a terrible experience, I don't understand why allowing superior machines vs inferior ones.

It is not harder to play crossplay, my winning rate at red ranks is roughly the same, it is simply wrong.

I just hope console players will turn it off so that the devs will do console only crossplay, PC is unfair

• Ryuzaki
    Ryuzaki Member Posts: 688
    Options

Due to the framerate issues on PlayStation 4, I have chosen to opt out of cross-play when I play killer. I have much for more enjoyable games as we are all on the same playing field. Hopefully, BHVR try and optimize the game on consoles across the board but they have yet to fulfill their promise after a year.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    Options

I believe you made a mistake, if you have 50000 Survivors and 50000 Killers the ones who get queue are Killers since you need 4 Survivors for 1 Killer.

• bm33
    Options

I've been saying they have a message to discourage people from turning off crossplay by saying they will have longer queues but for me, since I'm on ps4, my waits have only been 1-2 minutes since turning it off. I also said my waits were longer when I had crossplay on. I said making a console only crossplay would make pc queues longer which is why pc players are against it. I'm guessing you must of confused those comments to think I contradicted myself.

• BuddyRhein
    BuddyRhein Member Posts: 17
    Options

Its not just ps4. I’m on switch. I feel like its as soon as players see the little crossplay symbol all bets are off. I played a match last night where David was hooked in the basement and kindred showed the other two running around and sticking together being stupid. I was in chase and these two let him die from first hook. They didn’t do gens and then when I finally lost the Trapper, my teammates wouldn’t heal me. Thank my lucky stars I brought a med kit. They teabagged me and then when homeboy’s friend got down he kept pointing at me and then in his friends direction, I am assuming so he could work on a gen. I said screw that. Kept on the gen. He ran away. I got three gens done while they just kept trading downs and hooks. They died. It was annoying. Then my dumbass ran into a very out in the open trap. I thought I was slick and I could fit around it. I couldn’t. I died. I think crossplay has invited more toxicity and makes it a them vs us vs the killer mentality. Idk why when we are all playing the same game. I turned off crossplay and queue time decreased, game was a lot more fun, killer was fun (no tunneling, no camping) but all in all I liked the lack of crossplay better. I am thoroughly disappointed as I have wanted crossplay for awhile. God forbid you do solo crossplay queue...good luck.

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773
    Options

This just sounds like terrible luck, my games have been pretty great.

• goatslinger
    goatslinger Member Posts: 522
    Options

I have not noticed much difference. Besides the occasional good nurse or huntress most pc players are equally inept as their console counterparts. I will say the proxy and tunnel is much, much, much more of a strat for PC gamers it seems.

• Lunairtic
    Lunairtic Member Posts: 78
    Options

It might have been terrible luck but regardless, opting out of crossplay gave me much better games. I have no incentive to go back into the horrible experience of crossplay and rainbow ranks every match.

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773
    edited August 2020
    Options

Really keep it what you like best! Just trying to point out it might not be from that alone, but the dirtbags you did happen to come across.

As long as you keep playing period my friend :D

• bm33
    Options

This is probably the nicest comment I've seen when it comes to crossplay opting in/out.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,197
    Options

I'm on PS4 i like crossplay i can finally play with my steam friend on ps4 I got this game on steam but my PC sucks so i mainly on ps4 now.

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,703
    Options

Yes, sorry I said that backwards! I'll update the post.

• Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 1,971
    Options

You turned off crossplay and still got games?

Must be nice.

• Cassandra_Alexandra
    Cassandra_Alexandra Member Posts: 254
    Options

Thanks for the post. I’m a PS4 player Rank 4 and my experience has been far from good as well. I’m going to try turning it off. It wouldn’t let me turn it off at first.

• Lemoniax
    Lemoniax Member Posts: 32
    Options

Lol. I opted out on PS4 and the queue times are as normal as they can get. From the comments and from my experience I can safely say that the majority of PS4 players already opted out of this crossplay mess. And with good reason. I also play on PC and I know the handicap that console players have to deal with all too well.

• RakimSockem
    RakimSockem Member Posts: 1,972
    Options

PC killers are the worst. If you're on console, stay there honestly.

Although the trade off seems to be that console teammates have been utter garbage for me

• GorgonDorgon
    GorgonDorgon Member Posts: 94
    Options

I do have to agree from where I’m at my games on PS4 would take anywhere from 4-8 minutes. Now with cross play my wait times are literally under a minute. It’s the primary reason I don’t care if I have a terrible game cause then I’m in a new one in less than 2 minutes lol ALSO I didn’t know that about opting out of cross play so that’s good to know just in case!

• VaJaybles
    VaJaybles Member Posts: 658
    Options

I main Xbox, but have it on PC. Before crossplay, there was no difference in queue times between the two. Only have a hard time after 9pm but again that's for both. As for potatoes I'll say they are everywhere. Played with plenty on both PC and Xbox. I enjoy crossplay and I'm glad you're having better games, but I enjoy playing against more variety

• LordRegal
    LordRegal Member Posts: 1,547
    Options

I’m a PC player and have experienced the opposite: console killers have been the more likely to camp/tunnel. Had a game today where I was the second one hooked, and for reasons I genuinely don’t know (usually I can find SOMETHING in my play that the killer found scummy since I play 50/50) I got hard camped until Dead. I wasn’t even mad, just wanted to know what I did to deserve it since the first person didn’t get camped, and no one else did, but they were a console player and therefore I was unable to ask.

I’m not saying every console killer camp’s and tunnels, just like I’m not saying every PC killer is all roses, but I’ve had more memorable games in that direction with the crossolay symbol over the killer than not since crossplay turned on.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,927
    Options

The clear difference in control between a PC and console makes crossplay unbalanced. When skill levels are based on the tools used to play, rather than actual skill, it basically becomes like F1 racing - it's not the driver, it's the vehicle.

Since I disabled crossplay it's been much better and fairer. I'd strongly recommend it.

• kjenn
    kjenn Member Posts: 7
    Options

I'm ps4 also. I wish we could choose to just play with xbox users or something. Lol. I have recently turned cross play off myself.

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559
    Options

it true for all platforms.

I'm used to how PC games go, so when console players pop in, I'm like "Wt* are you doing?", and then they all die. The only reason I turn crossplay on is to get survivor games more quickly so I can do my rift challenges and then sacrifice myself.

• Kumnut768
    Kumnut768 Member Posts: 789
    Options

so keep crossplay off, confused why you made a thread about this

• voorheesgt
    voorheesgt Member Posts: 827
    Options

Have your wait times changed at all? I'm ps4 as well, killer mainly and I've avoided turning it off because I don't want to wait 10 mins per match. Are que times ok?