How long should games be?

Options

Well I just had a game that lasted 12 minutes, was enjoyable and quite close and ended in a 3k with the last guy escaping through the gates, then one of the other survivors was complaining that everyone but them was trash, the other survivors and the killer, because 'No game should ever last more than 7 minutes, it just shows that you're a pathetic and wasting my time'. They had the lowest score out of everyone too oddly enough.

So the reason that I'm making this discussion is to get a sense of the general consensus on whether a longer game is/can be more fun than a shorter game or if I'm in the minority on that.

Comments

• TransverseCaster
    TransverseCaster Member Posts: 543
    Options

Literally my tactic. I run Thanatophobia to start a slow down early, Dying Light to keep the game slowed throughout the middle stage with about 3-5 tokens and a grinding halt with 6+ tokens in the late stage, Pop Goes the Weasel because each hit takes off 20 seconds from the victory timer but with Thanatophobia and DL it's actually closer to 30 seconds due to the percent increase relative to time, and Overcharge as an alarm.

Overcharge is easily beaten by people who run DS because they're used to hitting hard checks but by the end of the game they're usually so burned out they just whiff them all. The problem is that if I don't run this build specifically then games are done in like six minutes and I maybe get one or two hooks after eating a dozen pallets and probably a DS or four.

• OniWantsUrLocation
    OniWantsUrLocation Member Posts: 506
    Options

I honestly don't know. I've never stopped time before, but ideally a game should last about 10 or 15 minutes. 

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    SCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416
    Options

I like games that last around 10 minutes, keeps the match from getting boring while also not being too fast.

• OllieHellhunter
    OllieHellhunter Member Posts: 703
    Options

I pretty much agree though I'd extend the times out a bit on both ends

• teamdehn
    teamdehn Member Posts: 222
    Options

i think a game should be at least 50% longer than the average queue time. waiting 10 minutes for a 5 minute game is unacceptable. 7 minutes on a 5 minute queue is ok to good.

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568
    Options

Also if match lasts more than 15 minutes it means something go wrong. Maybe remaining survivors got extremely immersive and hiding all match (I find this type of gameplay boring for both sides). Maybe survivors 3-gen themselves. Or maybe everyone go play farming simulator.

• OllieHellhunter
    OllieHellhunter Member Posts: 703
    Options

Yeah had around a 20 minute game once where we got 3 genned. about 3 quarters of the entire match was with 1 gen left.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,482
    edited August 2020
    Options

15min seems like a pretty fair time to aim for.

Enough time for a lot of fun interactions without it getting drug on too long.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,482
    edited August 2020
    Options

I'd be really curious to see some current stats on average game lengths by rank.

I'd wager they are much shorter than 15min.

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559
    Options

There should be no perfect length. I'm extremely content with long or short matches as long as I get to use the skills I've honed as killer and survivor to kill/survive.

• Ivaldi
    Ivaldi Member Posts: 977
    Options

10-12 minutes is the sweet spot for me as both killer and survivor... I've had some games where our team was stuck in a 3 gen situation last for 30+ minutes and it just gets boring and exhausting.

• alaenyia
    alaenyia Member Posts: 650
    Options

I would say at least 15 minutes to be satisfying, get a good score and well fought for outcome. A 7 minute game for either side would feel like there was some unfair advantage at play. Like red rank SWF laying waste to a inexperienced killer or a high ranked killer owning baby survs. I want longer more challenging matches, especially with current queue times.

• just_teme
    just_teme Member Posts: 195
    Options

10 minutes and above starts getting boring.

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321
    Options

Agreed. Around 10+/- minutes is what I usually consider enjoyable.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

10-15 minutes. Any less and it's just awful and frantic. Anything more and it stretches on way too long. Plus, with m1 killers you kind of need deadzones, and you aren't going to create any in less than 10 minutes.

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

10 to 20 mins. Less than that someone got stomped. Longer than that starts to feel tedious and boring. 15 mins is a pretty good length.

• Reaver_Raziel
    Reaver_Raziel Member Posts: 400
    Options

Basically this to me as well. If a match starts getting around 15+ minutes its starting to get into "hostage games". This is mostly on survivors not wanting the game to be over and hiding. Or at the very least people would rather drag the game out in a vain hope of winning over just ending a lost game. Killers can also do this but its usually through slugging and that has a finite duration through bleeding out.

But yeah after 12-15 min it starts going downhill, and shorter than 7-8min its usually a stomp and I want the game to be over.

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415
    Options

Preferably 15-20 min

• OBX
    OBX Member Posts: 854
    Options

The flaw is that (this is a generalization) when there are some optimal survivors that fly through gens and then leave a couple close to finished. They then proceed to BM the killer endlessly. A lot of killers (again a generalization) who fly through killing tend to hook and move on to the next game.

if killers could simply open the door at anytime (within limits) prior to the last gen getting done then your idea of having a bad game be over ASAP would be fine. Survivors can suicide on hook, killers need something akin to that.

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559
    Options

That seems to be pointing out the huge flaws with the gen regress mechanic more than anything inherently negative about long games that are longer because of other reasons.

• NekoTorvic
    NekoTorvic Member Posts: 766
    Options

I'd say 10 to 12 minutes is probably ideal. 8 or 7 minutes is starts way too quick and frustrating, and 15+ minutes feels like a drag.

• Chatkovski
    Chatkovski Member Posts: 309
    Options

Yes, there are quick games where the killer is in trouble. I believe I read that you are currently thinking about solving this with an Early Game Collapse concept. Proof that in reality, you are not fatalistic and are looking for solutions in order to standardize the duration of the games as well as possible.

But there are also other too fast games where most of the survivors are never in chase, downed, hooked, or going for a save and where the killer is almost never in chase...

When do you also plan to think and bring a real solution to the camping, or should the survivors expect always worse with this Early Game Collapse, and already have worse with a new Hex perk that does not help at all? Do you also prefer that the camped survivor makes sure to shorten his sad game as much as possible, without disconnecting of course, in order to get a more interesting one?

• BlackMercury
    BlackMercury Member Posts: 172
    Options

Approx 5 minutes is the ideal time for experience/shard gain.

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201
    Options

Had a 20+ minute match against a ebony mori surveillance freddy that I will never forget. Plunderers became my favorite perk that day.

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,097
    Options

10 minutes. I make the bulk of my BP in this time and would rather just move on. Ask me a couple years ago and I might have said 15, but these days I'd rather just make my BP and bounce.

• Pat00tSack
    Pat00tSack Member Posts: 71
    Options

Depends on if things are getting done (people trading places in a chase while gens/unhooking/healing gets done, etc) or if it's a hopeless situation for one side and pepole are either crawling around slugged and lost or survs are dealing with a 3gen and refusing to give up. I think the match should go on as long as stuff is happening, but one minute of just sitting there is one minute too many ;-;

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,718
    Options

About 5 - 10 minutes is ideal, in my opinion. Corrupt helps with the first 2 minutes.

• Ivaldi
    Ivaldi Member Posts: 977
    Options

Yeah.. We were up against a Trapper with POP... middle gen was the shack which he had trapped up.

• surveilltheempathy
    surveilltheempathy Member Posts: 26
    Options

Of course there can´t be a general answer, but the most fun I normaly have in 10-15 minutes matches. It also helps everyone to get a lot of bloodpoints an pips.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,214
    Options

the best games i played were very close, and were about 15-20 minutes. I dont like games under 10 minutes, because most of the time the games are so short because one side if dominant by far.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458
    Options

Given the number of variables in a game, it is impossible to quantify. The game lasts as long as it is going to last. I did a Spooky Myers on Midwich the other day and killed everyone in 3-4 minutes.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,105
    Options

Hard to eat 4 DS with only one or two hooks 😜

This is not meant toxic but rather ironic XD

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,105
    Options

As long as it takes for me to cap my bp in most categories. After that point free escape for everybody.

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,347
    Options

Dude that has to be a joke right? Or am I not understanding your comment right?

• XombieRocker
    XombieRocker Member Posts: 324
    Options

The problem with game length is that games are usually decided in the first 2 minutes. Killer didn't get a down within a minute? 3 gens pop and the game ends in 5 min, and everyone gets low BP. Same goes if the killer rocks it and has 2 short chases right off the bat. It's all up to how the killer does in those first few minutes.

It's kinda the main flaw with this game. There's very little either side can do to comeback from a bad start. (But especially Killer) It makes playing out losing matches unfun for both sides.

• RakimSockem
    RakimSockem Member Posts: 1,972
    Options

5-10 minutes tops. Anything longer is boring

• Aldofer
    Aldofer Member Posts: 458
    edited August 2020
    Options

[deleted bug]

• Aldofer
    Aldofer Member Posts: 458
    Options

well 5-10 minutes yes it's the best, that's why i hate stealth and 3 gens because the game are 10-20 minute, even more sometime, with those strat and it's super boring

• Milkymalk
    Milkymalk Member Posts: 217
    Options

"As long as it needs to be" indeed misses the point of the question. It seems to be "How long should a game last?", but in reality it is "How long is a game where survivors and killer are well-matched?". And the answer to this is, usually, 10-15 minutes.

• superpanda999
    superpanda999 Member Posts: 57
    Options

As killer, my matches can last anywhere from 5-30 minutes depending on the survivors. (Yes I have had a 30 minute match before and it was because the last two survivors were hiding really well on the Yamaoka Estate map and refused to touch a gen.)

As survivor, my matches are exactly where I want them to be: 10-15 minutes.

10-15 minutes should be how every match goes for both killer and survivor. Anything below that is just boring and usually results in everyone getting lower points. But anything above 15 just drags on and becomes exhausting.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

5-8 minutes. Survivors aren't doing gens if it's taking longer. Even if they're getting downed immediately, 7 minutes is still realistic.

• JesseJH28
    JesseJH28 Member Posts: 478
    Options

Typically I'd say 10-15 minutes; that being said, one of the most fun games I've played literally lasted about 45 minutes... Tons of back and forth momentum for both sides while I tried introducing a friend to the game