How to balance killers

There are 2 options, the 2nd option is not guaranteed too work tho.

1.) Buff basically all the killers to match SWF's power. If the killer doesn't have mobility they would need to be buffed through another means

2.) Nerf the killers BUT add a second killer to the lobby, so basically a 4 v 2. Of course maps would need to be bigger too

Comments

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    SCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416

And what about Solo Q? Or a 2 man SWF compared to a 4 man SWF?

• Zanfer
    Zanfer Member Posts: 647

The amount of times I run into groups that play like the way you are thinking is very little. You have to remember most people suck at this game and it would be very unfun for majority of people if you drastically brought up every killer or added another killer without buffing survivors to compensate. Identity V can have hunters/killers with actual crazy abilities because the survivors actually have tools to fight back against such strong powers. If Dead By Daylight survivors are going to just have simple items and nothing besides the current perks to put distance between them and the killer than I don't see anything changing anytime soon. Only thing you could do is update older perks to have more playstyles for both sides.

•  Antares2332
    Antares2332 Member Posts: 1,088

How to balance killers:

Remove all killers.

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839

Give all killers crouch so they can counter-teabag

• DisappointedUser
    DisappointedUser Member Posts: 420

I suspect you’re not constantly getting destroyed by 4-man SWF depip squads. You’re just a poor killer and need more experience.

• TransverseCaster
    TransverseCaster Member Posts: 543

All survivors need to start on hooks.

• Tjiani
    Tjiani Member Posts: 78

All survivors should have some kind of disability... i suggest the following.. one survivor is blind and can’t see anything but a blurry screen (total Black screen would be preferable but let’s be fair) , one is deaf and can’t hear skill-checks or terror radious, the third survivor is in a wheel-chair, and the fourth has some neurological illness, which Will result in seizures every 30’th second... There will be 8 gens instead of 5, only one door to escape, and the amount of pallets Will be reduced with 50 %...how is that? I Think even under these conditions you guys would still ask for nerfs 😂😂😂😂

• terumisan
    terumisan Member Posts: 1,293
    edited August 2020

1st one is impossible unless you buff everyone to nurse/spirit tier and even then some killers are going to be better than others

2 people will compain about being tunneled and it'll be super annoying but it would be a cool feature for kyf

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

Solo queue is easy to buff. Besides, who cares if killers are a little bit more op.

• Waffleyumboy

Yes buff all killers to swf level(many killers not needing buffs), then we go from there.

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    edited August 2020

Wouldn't it be a better idea to nerf SWF if buffing killers also means buffing Solo Q? And what about a 2 man SWF compared to a 4 man SWF? And considering this is a competitive game, I'd say an imbalance of any kind is a problem. If nobody cared about balance why does this post exist?

• Waffleyumboy

People do care about balance, but only because they want easy games. Killers run this community, why not give them what they want this time around?

• SCP_FOR_DBD

This is so confusing. So your argument is, people want easy games thats why they want a perfectly balanced game? And the other argument is "Without them the game wouldn't work, so make them super strong?" As a 50/50 player, I'm very confused by this.

• Waffleyumboy

People make calls for "balance" with intentions other than making the game balanced. As someone who used to not know this, I understand and empathize with your confusion.

• ToxicMyers
    ToxicMyers Member Posts: 1,295

Both are fumb ideas

• Waffleyumboy

My point is that the devs can't actually try to acheive balance, just follow the community's desires until balance naturally occurs. It's not like nerfing Billy was a good step toward balance, the devs just did it by popular demand since they were touching his add ons anyway. The devs are smart to do this, otherwise factions would have ripped apart the community long ago. These appeals to the masses give everyone something they can all appreciate, even if they're wrong to make the change.

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839

First off, "Balancing Killers" is not the same as "Balancing the game when SWF is at play". Carrying on...

The game does NOT have Voice Chat. The devs CANNOT assume that every group or swf has voice chat. The game cannot be balanced around a function it does not have, despite people using said function outside of the game.

SWF groups can be extremely coordinated, or a few friends playing together that aren't actually that good at communicating. Punishing the ladder because the former exists is NOT good game design.

Therefor, any mechanics that attempt to fix the issue of extremely coordinated SWAT groups rubbing their balls on the killer needs to ensure it won't do the same thing to a group of kids playing cops and robbers.

The only thing that comes to mind off the top of my head (read: not thinking too long or hard about it) is to have a director AI in the background monitoring the match time, Survivor progression, Killer progression, Amount of Hooks, etc. Based on that info, it would give the killer a SLIGHT speed boost in both movement and recovery if the Survivors are pooping all over them. If the Killer is just dunking on the Survivors, gen speed would become slightly faster, chest items would be higher quality, healing would be slightly faster, etc. These values would top out somewhere between 5-10%, giving the side that is lacking a needed boost while not outright handing them the HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION BELT, and would take these boosts away as soon as they show that they are more regularly keeping up with the pace of the opposing side.

Might be a terrible idea. Probably is. I thought of it as I typed it, but the main point was that it would need to be a nudge at best, not a rocket booster. Mechanics that change the gameplay on the fly like that need to be a bit subtle, as you don't want it to look like the Killers car went from a Corolla to a Formula 1 racer.