So... when is the server hit validation coming?

Options
Hannon
Hannon Member Posts: 221

it’s been like almost 2 months since you said something about them. Where are the 60hz servers and the server hit validation?

Comments

• Nicholas
    Nicholas Member Posts: 1,947
    Options

Also wondering.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

Whenever it comes, I hope it actually works and isn't just a rehash if the current ranged hit detection system. In fact, I hope it replaces the ranged hit detection system.

• Reaver_Raziel
    Reaver_Raziel Member Posts: 400
    Options

Tbf BHVR sometimes mentions things long before they get released. Like MMR was mentioned back in February and we only got that one(briefly) a few weeks ago. So dont pay attention to how long ago things get mentioned. It gets implemented when it does. And before BVHR gives a date we will have no idea.

• PrincessPoop
    PrincessPoop Member Posts: 919
    Options

I’m hoping it gets implemented soon because this is one of my most anticipated features... I’m tired of killers with bad ping getting free wins because they can hit you from across a football field

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321
    Options
  • Hannon
    Hannon Member Posts: 221
    Options

Yeah, but I thing that they said that It was coming in the midchapter and here we are. Still waiting

• Malkraz
    Malkraz Member Posts: 112
    Options

The hit detection currently applied to projectiles IS server-side hit detection because they're physics objects, which are handled 100% on the server. There is always going to be a discrepancy in where the client sees the projectile and where it "actually" is on the server due to latency, this is not something that can be overcome by coding as it's a purely physical limitation. What server-side hit detection/validation seeks to do is lessen that gap between clients by ensuring a hit confirmation sent from the killer's client makes sense from the server's perspective. This will make it so as long as you have reasonable ping to the server, you won't be getting hit from 3 loops away by a Chinese killer using a VPN, it just won't grant them the hit.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

If they simply recycle the current server hit validation they have applied to projectiles, this game will genuinely die. I know that gets thrown around a lot, but there are significantly less killers than survivors even taking into account the 1:4 ratio. As a once-Plague-main, I can tell you right now that that system is awful and no amount of latency cut will fix it. The system itself is flawed. It seems to send 3 confirmation requests before you can actually hit, because even when you do it's often super delayed.

• Malkraz
    Malkraz Member Posts: 112
    Options

I don't think you seem to understand this point. Unless they revert it back to client-side hit detection (never going to happen) they CANNOT overcome the physical limitations presented by latency. Until we figure out how to develop practical and affordable quantum computers or everybody agrees to only play on LAN, there's ALWAYS going to be a rift between server and client. In the case of projectiles there is no "confirmation request", the projectile that you see will either be delayed (server registers a Thrown Hatchet command, calculates its trajectory then sends this information back to the client) or completely fake in the case of the vomit stream. You cannot simultaneously have the REAL hatchet on the server and an instant, accurately matched hatchet on your client because the hatchet on the client exists in the future. This has been a problem in games for decades and it will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135
    Options

I highly anticipate this feature as well. Just commenting to get this more attention!

• Reaver_Raziel
    Reaver_Raziel Member Posts: 400
    Options

Yeah they mentioned they wanted to test it on 4.1 ptb. But iirc then they took that back because the PTB was very laggy and so testing it in that enviroment wasn't really a good indicator whether it worked or not because everyone was lagging. And since the server side validation's job is to try and mitigate the consequences of hits if 1 person (killer or survivor) is lagging it wouldnt do much when everyone is lagging.

At least as far as I have understood it. Currently servers take killers side in regards to hit validation from their weapons. But in when it comes to grabs/pallets/Head on and the like it takes the survivor side. As in if the survivor has let go of a gen on his side, then even he is still on the gen on the killers side, it still fails to grab him. At least thats how I understand it.

But its possible the server hit validation only counts for killer side. Although I doubt it.