Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Exit gates should regress

Zaitsev
Zaitsev Member Posts: 1,285
edited August 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions

99ing the gates is just survivors exploiting their way around the EGC, so they dont feel pressured to go for saves. So essentially, in this case the EGC does nothing.

Exit gates should passively regress.

And no, survivors are not the only ones who exploit, but since more people play survivor than killer, more survivors tend to exploit since the playerbase is larger.

Post edited by Mandy on

Comments

• MrPeterPFL
    MrPeterPFL Member Posts: 636

If the gate is 99%, open it. It’s basically open and it starts the timer.

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

Ok but still - the term "anti-tunnel perk" is a descriptor given by the community and not the developers, so the fact that it does more than just "anti tunnel" is fine imo.

The same for the gates the developers have specifically said, many times that they don't want EGC to be forced upon survivors unless the killer makes the action to do so, as EGC was never meant to interrupt survivors going for saves, or pressure them into a time constraint, it was specifically added to make sure survivors weren't holding up in the exit gates or sneaking around the map for 20 minutes.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135

100% agree. They should regress to about 50% or so.

• Seanzu

no it's a "I do what I want after I've been unhooked perk" that also helps with tunnelling.

• BabyDweetMain
    BabyDweetMain Member Posts: 434

Dude this isn't about DS. Stop changing the subject. EGC is NOT to pressure survivors. Killers can use it that way by opening the gates themselves but they are 1 out of 5 players in that round and giving that one player so much control of end game that the other 4 players worked to get, that's just ridiculous.

Want to start EGC? Open the gate. Don't cry about them being 99'ed.

• Freesham
    Freesham Member Posts: 262

Only reason I support nerfing exit gates to regress is to make Blood Warden not a useless perk. Good survivors will always 99 gates, so the only reliable way to trigger it is to open the exit yourself, which makes the survivors aware of your plan.

• BabyDweetMain
    BabyDweetMain Member Posts: 434

You're on a public forum, you're talking to everyone so lose the attitude. You're changing the topic of this post and that's why I said what I did.

And did you really just say the devs don't know everything..? Seriously..? Their own game, you think they're dense morons just hitting paper with a hammer? They monitor the games, they read the forums, how incredibly ignorant of you to assume the devs don't keep up with information about their own game. You're just looking for any excuse to be right when you're not. EGC is not to pressure survivors. That was not the purpose and thats not why it's there. The devs shouldn't make changes to it to make it as such. It's perfect the way it is.

• HollowsGrief
    HollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497

I agree, I dont want the EGC to give me free kills I want it to stop the entire tram from hiding, healing everyone to full and then waiting out their DH timers before they go in for a hook save rush. EGC serves no purpose right now, either start EGC when the last gen is done or make them regress.

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790

Disagree all you want but the difference is the killer and go ahead and just open the gate themselves. She is right about EGC never meant to pressure - it was to prevent standoffs, something many self professed 'killer mains' don't get and think it is a tool to net them more kills at the end game when they pretty much lost already when all the gens got done.

• Seanzu

cool, killers also say nurse is unplayable and spirit is hard to play, what's your point?

• Zeus
    Zeus Member Posts: 2,112

Your counter makes no sense and is completely out of topic. I was talking about the devs

• MeneLaw
    MeneLaw Member Posts: 341
    edited August 2020

Good idea maybe in future a perk who regress 30% of progress.

15%

20%

30%

• SleepyWillo
    SleepyWillo Member Posts: 2,197

I actually like your idea. the main issue I have with regressing gates is that it would make being the last survivor virtually unwinnable. but your idea actually makes that better.

At the end of the day I still agree with the devs - it shouldn't be used to give the killer free kills (which it still does). It should only make it so the game isn't dragged out forever when its over.

• CalamityJane
    CalamityJane Member Posts: 487

And? English teachers everywhere have been telling authors what they meant in their writing for centuries.

• ermsy
    ermsy Member Posts: 580

The egc is designed to simply end the game but the exit gates are still an objective before the egc starts.

The game isn't over yet but making the exit gates open via a one tap makes them pointless. A slow regression would make sense and actually allow the killer to have some pressure towards the gates.

• Seanzu

Not really - this is about players deciding what things are and disregarding what the devs say, so it's entirely reasonable for me to point out how killers don't make valid points sometimes too and we should disregard them too.

• Seanzu

Killers - "This anti tunnel perk does more than anti tunnel"

Devs - "That's because it's not an anti-tunnel perk"

Killers - "Ok but it's an anti tunnel perk"

Not quite the same lmao.

• ermsy

I think op has the right idea but conveyed it wrong. Sure the egc isn't used for pressure but the killer should be able to pressure doors...which they currently can not.

• Seanzu

Maps are becoming smaller, gates are spawning on the same wall, killers are pretty fast, it would become impossible for survivors (who have finished their objective btw) to escape if doors were regressing, especially against nurse/billy/spirit/the blight etc etc.

• ermsy

Sure but if the gates were designed to always spawn on opposite sides like the indoor maps it wouldn't be an issue.

The survivors primary objective is to survive and escape, this includes doing gens, opening the exit gates and leaving.

You are also assuming it's the one survivor left in which case yeah regression might be unfair but it would be easy to restrict or disable regression in this case.

I'm mostly concerned when there are multiple survivors left.

• BananaBlooD95
    BananaBlooD95 Member Posts: 555

Make it regress slowly like 50% slower than the speed to open it and maybe put 2 light instead of 3. That way a survivor that play well with the gate can 49% it and as long as the killer don't see the survivor he can't tell if the survivor is working on it or not.

• Seanzu

Well that's the issue isn't it "I couldn't kill these survivors, so I think I should have more things to help me". I don't like that way of thinking, honestly, as if the game isn't easy enough for both sides right now.

• ermsy

You just ignored my points, the survivors objective is to escape which includes opening the exit gate, not just completing the gens. Being unable to pressure the exit gate makes them redundant, they might as well open automatically when the last gen gets done.

• D_Orien
    D_Orien Member Posts: 115

There should be a perk called "Short Circuit" that regresses the gates. But unlike Ruin, it should not be a Hex (Ruin also shouldn't be a hex).

• Seanzu

Yes, doors are totally redundant because nobody has ever died between the gens being done and the doors being opened, and sure, I'd love for them to open the doors when the gens are done, because you know what'll happen? Killers will complain en masse about this huge buff to survivors because the doors AREN'T redundant.

• ermsy

Most survivors usually die at that point due to their own hubris, not because the killer pressured the 99ed door. It still doesn't change the fact that the killer has no way of pressuring a door that has been 99ed which is still an objective in the game, a final roadblock a survivor needs to overcome to survive.

• Seanzu

I don't understand this point at all, surely you'd down someone and hook them at end game, right? So you're not going to be camping doors anyway, your pressure should be on whoever you're hooking or trying to hook, not the doors.

This is simply killer entitlement, if you can't get enough kills in the time it takes them to do 5 gens and 99 doors you're probably not playing very well anyway.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

While EGC is indeed killer-sided, it is not meant to gift the Killer any Kills. It is to force the game to an end. If you want the game to end, open the Exit Gates yourself, this is the reason why that option is available.

Or, in short: Only because Survivors die at the end of EGC does not mean it is a Killer Tool to get more Kills.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,152

Well to your point about the devs, I am on this forum for about 6 months and read more than enough posts about performance optimization for consoles, the everlasting problem of swf (coupled with solo queue and killer pleas for either buff to themselves or nerfs against swf, the solution being buff solo until swf does not give an distinctive advantage and balance killer around that) and several perk nerf cries from both sides but not any change done to some of these topic being there for several months to years.

Also they use statistics drawn by averaging across all ranks without any distinction of experience/playtime of players and the correlating results. Kill rates and whatnot independent of killer and survivor player experience is a void statistic.

In low ranks a basic killer is at an advantage against survivor of the same experience level since they don't know how to act as a team (without comms).

On high ranks it goes the other way around and a coordinated team is impossible to 4k against without them making any mistakes.

But the devs average over both ends of the spectrum and expect to get informative results, that is on a trump-like level of insight.

• ermsy

I'm not talking about specific scenarios, if me wanting the exit gates to regress is killer entitlement then you wanting the opposite is surely survivor entitlement.

How bout instead of just disregarding my point, you actually make a counter point.

Your point of "pressure the survivor, don't bother pressuring the doors" is equivalent to "pressure the survivor, don't bother pressuring the gens". Why does one sound ridiculous to you but the other doesn't?

• Ivaldi
    Ivaldi Member Posts: 977

Nah the exit gates should just open automatically. This way you don't have to worry about them being 99%.

• Seanzu

Because they're at completely different points in the game, you think gates are redundant yet you want to be able to pressure them by not even being at them, you want free pressure because you were unable to kill survivors during the match.

During the game, pressuring the survivors is pressuring gens because a survivors being chased is a gen not being worked on by that survivors, the doors, which take mere seconds to complete, and are the final barrier to survivors escaping and you getting 0 kills should be the last thing on your mind, you should be getting a survivor on a hook and not worrying about the gate.

• ermsy

If I shouldn't be worried about the gates then why are there perks that directly affect the gates? I think gates are redundant in their current state which is why I'd want the change so that they can be pressured.

I love how you assume why I want pressure. Pressuring one survivor is pressuring that one survivor, it doesn't stop the other gens from being done. You need to actively switch targets by defending gens but this is not the point of this discussion.

You are right, exit gates take mere seconds to open and the survivors final barrier to survive now takes a millisecond to overcome and yes my only option is to try to get the survivor on hook and keep them there as going to the gate is not a viable option.

My question to you is why is it such a big deal to you? If a gate takes 4 seconds to open after regression instead of a millisecond, would that break the game?

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430

If they do regress then you shouldn’t be allowed to open it because then that defeats the purpose of having this ability.

• VicThor
    VicThor Member Posts: 347

The issue is that the killer has to camp the last hook. I cannot go and open the exit gate and also be at the hook. Many many survivors get cocky at the end, cause they know you can’t do anything since they will bodyblock and it’s kinda free escape. Of course if NOED comes into the picture then they complain. But regressing exit gates would solve this issue in my opinion.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430
    edited August 2020

@VicThor

It also sucks when things go south and you face a camping killer with STBL and NO ONE was able to open a door.

I think both sides have downsides for a door being 99’d if you bring up specific scenarios.

Sometimes for survivors it’s better to open the door immediately sometimes it’s not.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

From what i heard the devs have already tried this in their own test build and it was obvious to them it was too powerfull

They did say that they might look into making it regress to the nearest red light (so 25/50/75%) but don't quote me on that

• ermsy

I also think that regressing the exits gates will also enrich the survivor experience as well. Right now end game plays out the same way, killer has no choice but to down and camp the unlucky survivor.

Remaining survivors 99 the gates and go on a rescue mission. If successful they body block the killer until they get to the exit, one tap and they are free. If not successful then that survivor is getting facecamped till death which probably doesn't feel too good either.

With regression there is a risk/reward factor for survivors and the choice to 99 a gate could backfire which creates tense gameplay. Also the killer will have more of a choice to chase another survivor and not be forced to camp since that survivor can't run to the exit and insta open the gates.

I think all around it will be a more positive experience for both sides.