The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why don't consoles participate in PTB?

I'm not sure why it hasn't changed especially with the success of simultaneous release across all platforms.
There are many differences that affect consoles game play differently. 
Thoughts? 

Best Answer

• splatvybz
    splatvybz Member Posts: 25
    Answer ✓

As a game dev myself....the answer is simply that updates and patches can be implemented and tested quicker on PC than it can on almost any console (the Nintendo Switch has so far been very dev friendly though, but still easier on PC).

Answers

• Lowbei
    Lowbei Member Posts: 2,637
    not that we dont love our console pals, but setting up the temp software changes on console is far more time consuming than pc. pc is generally a great testing environment.

by the way, what differences in your opinion affects gameplay on console?
  • slingshotsurvivor
    slingshotsurvivor Member Posts: 943
    edited October 2018
    Considering the release rate (quarterly I believe), player base and impacts I don't buy it. Essentially this game, at least for the foreseeable future, will always be testing and releasing something.

e.g. Recently (thank you Devs for the change in the latest release) you couldn't heal while near a pallet. Instead one would end up dropping a pallet either on themselves or on whomever they were healing near it. Didn't happen on PC.

Also, bugs that don't appear to affect PC but console users happen pretty frequently.

My strongest argument would be that they are different. That's the whole premise of testing to begin with.

Edit: words, grammar & spacing
    Post edited by slingshotsurvivor on
  • feffrey
    feffrey Member Posts: 886
    Considering the release rate (quarterly I believe), player base and impacts I don't buy it. Essentially this game, at least for the foreseeable future, will always be testing and releasing something.
    e.g. Recently (thank you Devs for the change in the latest release) you couldn't heal while near a pallet. Instead one would end u dropping a pallet either on themselves or on whomever they were healing near it. Didn't happen on PC.
    Also, bugs that don't appear to affect PC but console users happen pretty frequently.
    My strongest argument would be that they are different. That's the whole premise of testing to begin with.

It would be pointless because they would potentially be doing work that will not go through so they would have to get it approved updated from Microsoft twice
  • RWoodrow
    RWoodrow Member Posts: 270
    I'm on console and I dont think we should get the PTB. Why?

They, literally, succeed doing simultaneous release once in 2 years. Pig was close but not quite simultaneous release.

Most releases have ranged from 2-3 days up to 6 weeks and, in some areas, 2 and a half months last I checked.

Yes, console is different then PC and subject to bugs exclusive to the platform but I'd rather deal with those bugs then be 4 months behind the PC due to PTBs
  • Lowbei
    e.g. Recently (thank you Devs for the change in the latest release) you couldn't heal while near a pallet. Instead one would end u dropping a pallet either on themselves or on whomever they were healing near it. Didn't happen on PC.

thats a strange bug since dropping pallets and healing are two completely different buttons.

anything else?
  • Tzeentchling9
    Tzeentchling9 Member Posts: 1,796

Because the PTB would be over by the time the console version got approved.

• Lowbei

accurate
  • slingshotsurvivor
    Lowbei said:

thats a strange bug since dropping pallets and healing are two completely different buttons.

anything else?
    Not on console.
    There are quite a few and bugs as well... Clown if you hit reload constantly gives him a speed buff (reported on PS4 only so far) off the top of my head.
    There is a link on the forum to bugs I believe and users are also able to delineate what platform bugs are occurring on. Worth a look even if you're not one of the Devs. It'll also answer your question more thoroughly. 

• slingshotsurvivor
    Lowbei said:

accurate
    You do realize you can schedule testing right?
    It isn't accurate by any stretch of the imagination. 
  • slingshotsurvivor
    RWoodrow said:

They, literally, succeed doing simultaneous release once in 2 years. Pig was close but not quite simultaneous release.

Most releases have ranged from 2-3 days up to 6 weeks and, in some areas, 2 and a half months last I checked.

Yes, console is different then PC and subject to bugs exclusive to the platform but I'd rather deal with those bugs then be 4 months behind the PC due to PTBs
    Why would console be behind? Does no one actually understand the way testing works? 
  • Tzeentchling9
    Tzeentchling9 Member Posts: 1,796
    Lowbei said:

accurate
    So hold up all the release dates by not being able to test patches on top of holding up the PC version to release at the same time as console for no reason. Got it.
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei said:

anything else?
    Not on console.
    There are quite a few and bugs as well... Clown if you hit reload constantly gives him a speed buff (reported on PS4 only so far) off the top of my head.
    There is a link on the forum to bugs I believe and users are also able to delineate what platform bugs are occurring on. Worth a look even if you're not one of the Devs. It'll also answer your question more thoroughly. 

this was a bug on all platforms and has been patched as far as i know.

anything else? sounds like the exact same game so far with no difference, but im open to hearing something legit.
  • slingshotsurvivor
    RWoodrow said:

Also, I hadn't realized they attempted simultaneous releases before. That being said scheduling isn't a good reason. Given the release rate and using your testing time line iterative releases are quite common. If they used an AGILE approach (assuming they do anyway) it's easy enough. 
    Only thing I can think of is cost... Not sure how their infrastructure is set up so am not sure if it could be a capital cost if they aren't hosting PTB. 
    I will add that I'm super happy to see folks talking about it though 😊 there's probably something I'm missing for sure! 
  • slingshotsurvivor
    Lowbei said:
    Lowbei said:

anything else?
    Not on console.

anything else? sounds like the exact same game so far with no difference, but im open to hearing something legit.
    Wait are you one of the Devs! So first, HIIIIIII😊!

Second did you not see my comment on looking on your bug report? Confused as to why I would be the single point of questioning as to the bugs in this game.

Third by your response I'm quite alarmed has this never come up or even occurred to anyone?

Why isn't there a PTB for console? Is there a reason? 
  • slingshotsurvivor
    Lowbei said:
    Lowbei said:

anything else?
    Not on console.

Second did you not see my comment on looking on your bug report? Confused as to why I would be the single point of questioning as to the bugs in this game.

Third by your response I'm quite alarmed has this never come up or even occurred to anyone?

Oh and thanks for taking the time to read our posts in the forum! BTW I love the game 👍
  • RWoodrow
    RWoodrow said:

Why would console be behind? Does no one actually understand the way testing works? 
    I do. 

PC they release the PTB instantly. Consoles have to have the code approved. This process takes up to 10 business days for new games usually. Taking the worst case though you're looking at 6 weeks. So at best, consoles would get access to the PTB after the PC version has concluded and is already a month behind PC as they'll get the post PTB first, right as console PTB concludes. Then we have to wait on the patch which is another 2 weeks, again at best, which is probably around the time the PC would get another patch. 

Best case, we're 2 months behind. Worst, double it and that's the best of the worst case honestly because some regions had to wait 2 months on the clown.
  • RWoodrow
    In addition to the time factor, Sony and Microsoft would have to approve to the testing. Last I heard, both had said no. 
  • slingshotsurvivor
    Lowbei said:

accurate
    So hold up all the release dates by not being able to test patches on top of holding up the PC version to release at the same time as console for no reason. Got it.
    Why would anything be held up? Serious question-- do you even know how CAT Testing works or are you just assuming because you heard it somewhere? 
  • slingshotsurvivor
    RWoodrow said:
    In addition to the time factor, Sony and Microsoft would have to approve to the testing. Last I heard, both had said no. 
    I can't see why 2 different companies on 2 different platforms would have anything at all to say unless they were asking to test in the same CAT environment.

Other than that it's a scheduling issue one would think... 

Why would they say no otherwise? 
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei said:
    Lowbei said:

anything else?
    Not on console.

I am not a dev ;)

they have discussed this topic, and they would gladly have a console ptb if it didnt require far more time and effort than pc.

we as a community want the game to do well on all platforms, however their studio and budget are not huge, and having a ptb on all platforms was deemed not worth it in the long run.

they do read the forum as well and they appreciate your opinions.
  • slingshotsurvivor
    edited October 2018
    splatvybz said:

As a game dev myself....the answer is simply that updates and patches can be implemented and tested quicker on PC than it can on almost any console (the Nintendo Switch has so far been very dev friendly though, but still easier on PC).

THANK YOU! This makes sense. So time to market is a priority VS quality.
    Seriously thank you for responding in the way you did because I can get your explanation. Maybe others said it but yours made sense to me 👍😊

EDIT: word
  • slingshotsurvivor
    RWoodrow said:
    RWoodrow said:

I do. 

PC they release the PTB instantly. Consoles have to have the code approved. This process takes up to 10 business days for new games usually. Taking the worst case though you're looking at 6 weeks. So at best, consoles would get access to the PTB after the PC version has concluded and is already a month behind PC as they'll get the post PTB first, right as console PTB concludes. Then we have to wait on the patch which is another 2 weeks, again at best, which is probably around the time the PC would get another patch. 

Best case, we're 2 months behind. Worst, double it and that's the best of the worst case honestly because some regions had to wait 2 months on the clown.
    No I get what your saying, I deal with issues like this all the time. It's still a scheduling issue however someone else answered and it made me realize in the cost, quality and time paradigm it's the quality that suffers. I really appreciate the insight though! 
  • slingshotsurvivor
    Lowbei said:
    Lowbei said:
    Lowbei said:

anything else?
    Not on console.

I am not a dev ;)

they have discussed this topic, and they would gladly have a console ptb if it didnt require far more time and effort than pc.

we as a community want the game to do well on all platforms, however their studio and budget are not huge, and having a ptb on all platforms was deemed not worth it in the long run.

they do read the forum as well and they appreciate your opinions.
    Awww well people like you, that take an interest, make this community great! 
    Thank you for taking time to respond! 
  • slingshotsurvivor
    RWoodrow said:
    RWoodrow said:

I do. 

No I get what your saying, I deal with issues like this all the time. It's still a scheduling issue however someone else answered and it made me realize in the cost, quality and time paradigm it's the quality that suffers. I really appreciate the insight though! 
    Okay so I reread that and what I mean to say is the current paradigm think only allows that 2 of the three can be satisfied during a project. In this case time and cost are the driving factors. 
    When I reread it, it read like I was saying they don't care about the quality. Which isn't what I was trying to say or imply. Just to be clear!

Phewwww 😳 now I feel better! 😊👍
  • PUBG has their own PTB for Xbox One, it is a separate application so surely the same could be done with DBD? I know the games aren't close to being similar but it would help iron out console specific bugs if any.

• slingshotsurvivor

PUBG has their own PTB for Xbox One, it is a separate application so surely the same could be done with DBD? I know the games aren't close to being similar but it would help iron out console specific bugs if any.

Yes, excellent point. 
  • Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050
    edited October 2018

I like how OP has an excuse for every answer they don't want to hear.

• slingshotsurvivor

I like how OP has an excuse for every answer they don't want to hear.

Hey DQ,
    I don't, but you sure are try stirring sh*t pot considering everyone here was cordial.

splatvybz
    12:32AM Accepted Answer

THANK YOU! This makes sense. So time to market is a priority VS quality.
    Seriously thank you for responding in the way you did because I can get your explanation. Maybe others said it but yours made sense to me 
  • yeet
    yeet Member Posts: 1,832
    Because $ony and micro$oft dont allow it