Impossible Tome Challenges

Options

Which challenges are you guys struggling with? I only have 3 left and I swear I just cannot get them for some reason. On paper they don't sound impossible, but for some reason I just can't do it.

Survive with 3 other people leaving the trial before you--I almost never have a full team leaving the trial!

Stun the killer 3 times in one trial--killers at the rank I'm at usually know better than to get stunned.

Survive as the obsession--I FINALLY figured out a way to ensure getting the obsession without using DS (I'm awful at hitting DS and every killer just slugs anyway), but now I just have NOT been able to survive.

What about you guys?? I've done all of the killer challenges, but I'm stuck on these 3 survivor ones!

Comments

• ZCerebrate
    ZCerebrate Member Posts: 641
    edited September 2020
    Options

Even my fairly new friends have managed to finish all the non-perk specific challenges (Ones that require Hag to be played etc) because the single trial ones so far haven't been completely unreasonable so far in this book.

Heroic Virtue (in book 1) is 3 TOTAL survivors leave before you regardless - and can happen over multiple matches meaning it doesn't have to be in one. You also don't have to survive meaning you get credit even if you are dying on hook or letting EDC take you as your teammates all escape through the door at the last second -teabagging.

Same applies to Book 3's Heroic Virtue which is the same exact thing but 6 survivors total (notice both do not have the condition that it has to be done in a single trial).

The stun one can be hard for people who aren't used to looping - I told my buddy to just COMMIT to the stun (meaning don't get baited until he is sure it will land) and even if he wasted the pallet just slam it on the killer after the hit. Also usually not a single trial thing - if it is then just keep playing with that in mind and you'll get it eventually as long as the killer isn't like a PH, Huntress or Deathslinger (Play those like you dont even have an archive to be honest).

The obsession one - it's just going to happen eventually. Took me a three tries too because someone else would do a DS at the end while I'm running every obsession perk under the sun trying to keep it... can only control it so much

Time consuming ones for me have been things like "Hook the obsession 8 times" or "Rescue 15 survivors"...

• mintchapstick
    mintchapstick Member Posts: 891
    Options

Ohhh you're right, I think I misread it. As for the obsession one--I have been trying WAY more than 3 times. I've been trying for 3 days. First I just couldn't get the obsession even after I piled on obsession perks and now I just haven't been able to survive a single trial. Like every game has been 4ks.

• Eleghost
    Eleghost Member Posts: 1,050
    Options

None of these challenges are exactly hard just a little time consuming like the having people survive. The hook obsession 8 times seemed like it would be more time consuming but i did it in a single match using furtive chase.

• Golden_spider
    Golden_spider Member Posts: 587
    Options

No challenge is impossible, just a big headache to attempt.

Sacrifice all 4 Survivors in the basement? yeah probably not going to happen unless the Survivors are just THAT Altruistic.

Stun the Killer multiple times using Pallets in a single trial is dependent on getting a Killer who doesn't have an alternative way to hit you (Nurse, Huntress, Spirit, Plague, Deathslinger, TriangleHead) and hope they're not going to respect pallets.

Any and all challenges that requires EGC to be active suck and I personally will not purposely go out of my way to do an End Game build.

• ZCerebrate
    ZCerebrate Member Posts: 641
    Options

I completely forgot about that perk... there I was relying on Nemesis to finish it in like 5 matches?

• Slickstyles
    Slickstyles Member Posts: 446
    Options

You can be on the hook and have the survivors leave and still get the tome done. Also, you can finish this quest with multiple games.

I've gotten the stun the killer challenge in one game. Run Quick and Quiet with Head On as well as DS. Bring a medkit and just take the hit on a pallet and drop it for the stun if you have to.

Of course, for the last one, you can just use For the People and leave.

• mintchapstick
    Options

Ohhh good suggestions & yeah! I figured out the for the people one, but unfortunately I'm rank 6 and most of my matches are vs red rank killers now, so I haven't been able to escape like. at all. I finally did escape as obsession last match--but it was after I had decided to swap out challenges.

• mintchapstick
    Options

Yeah, I didn't mean actually impossible. Just like, 'wow I've been trying my ass off and it just won't happen.'

• Slickstyles
    Slickstyles Member Posts: 446
    Options

I made the challenge super hard for myself because why not. I did the tunnel me build to complete the challenge and it was quite satisfying.

• CaulDrohn
    CaulDrohn Member Posts: 1,574
    Options

For the first one, it does not need to be all three in one trial. You do not even have to get out yourself. In a recent game I was put on my death hook and the entity sacrificed me. During the animation, one of the other survivors ran out. I still got the one stack towards the challenge, although I died just a second after that one ran out. So when the gates are open, just hide somewhere until the others got out. you can even let the entity kill you due to the timer, that should still work.

For the three stuns, not just pallets but DS and Head On stuns work as well. So you can equip this two and then try your luck. With quick and quiet, you can even hop in alocker in chase, the confusion from the killer is usually enough time for head on to activate. Or you could equip Spine chill and camp a pallet when the killer comes into your direction so you could get some surprise pallet stuns. If possible chain that into a locker stun :P. Or just be patient, every know and then there's a killer totally ignoring pallet stuns and eating everything you throw at him.

For the obsession one, I guess it's easist with For the people. If the gates are open, wait there and hope someone injured gets by. heal them with FTP, which makes you the obsession, and imidiately run out. If you don'T have FTP, the DS stun approach would be the next best solution. If you struggle to hit the skillcheck, you gotta train to hit it. As an advise, try to hit it late, bc you usually do not lose the effect when hitting to late. Another approach would be to run all the available obsession perks to greatly increase your chances to be the obesssion at the start. But that would include OoO and MoM, not so great for trying to survive, imo. Also you could lose your obsession do to DS stuns from others.

• Cele
    Cele Member Posts: 63
    Options

I struggled a bit with the 'blind or lightburn the killer 5 times' challenge. That one took a lot more attempts than I'd hoped, probably like 20 matches LOL. Eventually I just went in with plunderer's and hoped to pick up a flashlight that way. If I tried to bring a flashlight to the match, the killers would play super smart and avoided the blinds well or were PH, Slinger, Huntress etc.

I'm still trying to complete the huntress challenge from previous tome - hit survivors 15 times with hatchets in one match... I'm very bad at huntress and it doesn't help that I'm red rank, I'm getting relentlessly bullied every time I try this :D

• gelukrait
    gelukrait Member Posts: 172
    Options

Survive with 3 other people leaving the trial before you--I almost never have a full team leaving the trial!

-> you dont need to do it in one trial, it keep counting in multiple trial, just make sure you stay last (survived or sacrified is fine)

Stun the killer 3 times in one trial

-> bring head on, it's easy even in red rank

Survive as the obsession

-> For the People is your friend, using it with Andrenaline or Self-care are safe bet for you. You just need to wait until someone get down or injured when gate opened, then use it

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568
    Options

Stun the killer 3 times in one trial. Not nessessary stun with pallet. You may also stun with Head On or DS.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270
    Options

Escape as obsession I got in one try, I just brought mettle of man then looked around for hatch when there was two of us left.

3 stuns. Camp a pallet and follow it up with a locker DS into head-on. Won't make you many friends but it gets the job done.

Escape while others survive helps on 3-4 man escapes if you're lucky enough to get one. Hide in the exit gates and when your teammates have completed their 1min 58 seconds of very necessary teabagging you should have 2 seconds to get out yourself.

• CalamityJane
    CalamityJane Member Posts: 487
    Options

Not impossible, but I want to stab myself in the eyes every time I see a challenge like "do 12 gens," "unhook 12 survivors," "heal 10 states," Survive while 6 other survivors leave."

They aren't fun, they're boring, and they're made worse by everyone being caught at the same choke points on slow challenges so you have to compete for them with others.

I'd almost rather challenges be RNG for each person so we aren't all doing the same thing.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    Options

Some tips from some of the not so easy challenges.

As far as I know the "escape after X people have escaped" you dont have to be the 4º Survivor escaping in a 4escape match. You just need to escape after someone for it to count once, lets say only 2 people are left alive, you power the last gen, open the Exit Gate and if you leave after the other guy has exited you get progression towards that challenge. You can finish it in one attempt IF you are the 4º guy escaping, as it would count the other 3 guys or escaping second 3 times or escaping second 1 time and third 1 time.

The stun challenge sounds hard but I got it in my second try, equipo DS and Head On and try to camp pallets, is not that hard with those 2 perks as both give you non-pallet stuns (which count I did the challenge by DSing and 2 pallet stuns), also take on account you dont need to survive so eating a hit because you were greedy with a pallet is not a big deal (you will probably hinder your teammates tho).

Surviving as the Obssesion is trickier since it not only depends on you but on your teammates using DS or the Killer not using Obssession changing perks, just pick one of the perks (not OoO since Killer will tunnel you out of existence) and you will get it eventually.

• CalamityJane
    CalamityJane Member Posts: 487
    Options

For surviving as obsession bring For The People, when you use it you become the obsession. You can either use it during the match, or just zap someone in the exit gate then leave.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,608
    Options

I would not say that any challenge is impossible. The only one where I farmed right from the start was to get two Grabs in one game, but only because the game has problems with Grabs. If Grabs would have been actually working, I would have done it normally, but I rather not try something which might be denied because of the game and not my own mistakes (could have been possible that I would have gotten it via normal gameplay, but nah).

Regarding your challenges:

Survive with 3 other people leaving the trial before you--I almost never have a full team leaving the trial!<---This does not have to be done in one game. You just have to be alive while others get out, so even if you sacrifice yourself so that another person can get out (e.g by unhooking them), you get progression.

Stun the killer 3 times in one trial--killers at the rank I'm at usually know better than to get stunned.<---You said that Killers dont get stunned in Red Ranks, but usually, you get more Stuns in Red Ranks, since Killers most of the time dont respect Pallets. You can even camp Pallets (hidden, throw them while the Killer chases another Survivor) or get hit through the Pallet to get the stun, but this is a really bad way to use ressources. Other stuns count as well, so you should try Head On.

Survive as the obsession--I FINALLY figured out a way to ensure getting the obsession without using DS (I'm awful at hitting DS and every killer just slugs anyway), but now I just have NOT been able to survive.<---I have done the Challenge with Object of Obsession, even tho, you have to get lucky that nobody gets to use his DS. But For the People is a good option as well.

• KrazyKatFTW
    KrazyKatFTW Member Posts: 203
    Options

I fairly sure, not certain tho that you can flashlight blind a killer and that will count as a stun

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627
    edited September 2020
    Options

I have all done and no challenge sounds impossible, nor is.

I needed 5 attempts to finish the "escape before me" challenge. First one was already 3 stacks, then I died twice before EGC and then I got 2 and 1. Could have been 4 games, but for some reason two people left and the injured guy decided to go back in to save me from the hook... Btw I always told in chat that Im doing the challenge and they can decide to leave me if Im hooked during EGC.

For the stuns: you can always chose to just take the hit, if necessary even to camp the pallet. That should be possible at least 3 times even with Mori (twice before first hook, once after unhook, unless you face a chainsaw or something like this). On top of that you can bring Head On and DS and a styptic.

For the people can always make you the obsession if you want to rely on staying the obsession. Or you take Mettle of Man or Object of Obsession to start the trial but risk to lose the obsession to a DS user. That's why I took For the People and just healed some guy off the hook. Also Object kinda causes killers to tunnel you :/ I needed 5 attempts for this but I would also not call that impossible. It is actually a challenge.

EDIT after reading the whole thread, I noticed that all of my advices already have been said ^^ except maybe the "talk to chat" one

Obsession hooks took me 2 games on my favourite Wraith build: MYC + Furtive + Nemesis. Get your obsession with Nemesis, hook, let the next guy become the obsession, exposed, oblivious and aura revealed for 4 seconds to let you know where to search.

• cheetocultleader
    cheetocultleader Member Posts: 1,259
    Options

These are the ones I've enjoyed least from this tome. Granted, all of the tomes have had something like this, but I don't find this tome to be as annoying. No "open hatch with key two times" or those crazy Legion challs that for a lot of people required farming. I didn't need people to complete them, but they're still pretty slow going.

• nursewannabe
    nursewannabe Member Posts: 1,075
    Options

For the obsession one, you can take for the people. Use it during the game if you're not the obsession, or at the gates before leaving

• StardustSpeedway
    StardustSpeedway Member Posts: 882
    Options

For me I always struggle with blinding the killer challenges. This time I surprisingly got it in one match lol.

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,828
    Options

for the stun one, you can use DS and head on to get it too. If you dont have those perks you kinda just have to camp pallets then

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358
    Options

Not completing challenges on the first try is a GOOD thing. More you grind now, the less you will have to grind at the end to get to 70

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,897
    Options

I finished every challenge so far. The challenges were very easy.

• JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174
    edited September 2020
    Options

The three escapes don't have to be in the same match and if someone gets out while you're on hook it still progresses the challenge. You just have to be alive while someone escapes.

Stun the killer, I used Head On + Quick & Quiet. Took a couple games to finally get.

Escape as the Obsession, I used OoO and burned a Midwich offering which I barely got out. A friend of mine brought For the People and used it to heal me at the exit gate then we both ran out once he became the Obsession.

• lostboy
    lostboy Member Posts: 89
    Options

Stun the killer 3 times is rough!

• Khroalthemadbomber
    Khroalthemadbomber Member Posts: 1,073
    Options

Stun the Killer three times in a single match. Killers either refuse to chase me, play Killers that are difficult to stun, or my teammates burn through every goddamned pallet in under two minutes.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014
    Options

Survive with 3 other people - Doesn't have to be 3 at once.

Stun the killer 3 times - Use Head On in combination with pallets and DS. That way you have more ways of stunning them. Does kind of suck it has to be in one trial. Could also hope for a killer with Enduring.

Survive as the obsession - Use For the People just before you leave on a teammate that's surely injured Then head out the exit gate.

Personally I'm having trouble with blinding the killer 5 times. Some older challenges too. I can't blind the killer once. Whenever I aim at them, it doesn't blind them. I try aiming EVERYWHERE. Then the flashlight just goes out.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

I gave up on the third tome when I got to that "Get 2 gen grabs in one game" challenge. Short of farming that's straight up impossible with how buggy they are and how alert red rank survivors are on gens. Tome 3 had awful challenges. I like the ones that challenged you to switch up your perks and play style. I dislike the specific survivor ones.

• AnotherJacob
    AnotherJacob Member Posts: 65
    Options

“Survive as the obsession” - I got this one with a killer DC. lol

Worse for me is “blind the killer 5 times” - I had no idea how to use lanterns, never works properly. Where’s training mode???

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,194
    Options

I'm having hard time with this meg one jump in and out of window 4 time in a chase I'm not a looper.

• BeyondDisbelief
    BeyondDisbelief Member Posts: 69
    Options

I recently finished every single Tome/Rift challenge. Not Impossible, but extremely frustrating. I would argue Tome 1 Lv 4's "Fight Back" is impossible in a normal game, though.

Thankfully, Tome IV has been pretty reasonable so far.

Tome 1 Lv 4's "Fight Back" requires FOUR stuns, not just any stuns, but PALLET stuns, in a SINGLE trial.

I basically kept it active across dozens of games banging my head at it until I got lucky and matched with a farming killer.

Had it not been restricted to pallet stuns then yeah, sure, it would have been easy, DS/Headon and you might pull off 2 pallet stuns against an average killer. Unless you purposefully cheese it and derank yourself no competent killer is dumb enough to get pallet stunned 4 times in a single match by the same person even if you commit to it. This particular challenge was so bad I'd advice BHVR consider removing the *pallet* requirement for the sake of future players.

On the killer side, I agree EGC ones are the worst. It forces me to play the most toxic style that I don't enjoy, which is slugging but not too hard and let them finish gens while holding some slugged survivors hostage. Not doing that, EGC often lasts too short to accomplish anything. One of the EGC sacrifice challenges requires 2 or 3 in a single trial. I used Piggy for this to spread out my hooks and drag it on for better last gen/EGC management.

I sincerely hope BHVR will not add any more EGC sacrifice challenges.

4 basement sacrifice also felt really toxic and bullying even though I got lucky on my first try as facecamping Bubba against an SWF team. I don't believe game supported Archive/events should be promoting this type of playstyle.

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893
    Options

The one I found most annoying was having 6 people leave before you do.

Simply because I ever got matches where I was the sole Survivor everyone died or the other survivors decided they really wanted to just BM the killer so they just stay that exit gate until eventually I'd be the one who unluckily got forced out while everyone was still butt dancing

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,718
    Options

For Hook the Obsession X Times, just use Furtive Chase. Hook Obsession, let obsession get rescued, go for the unhooker who is now the new obsession, hook them, rinse and repeat.

• mintchapstick
    edited September 2020
    Options

So update on my OP, I still can't survive as the obsession. So far it's been:

Twice I died at the exit because of NOED

Once I died because of permanent tier 3 Myers--in the exit

Once I did all the gens as the last person died and couldn't get the door opened

Once I was moried at 1 gen left

Then I died on top of the hatch to a pyramid head that couldn't even hit me the entire game, but I was the last survivor alive and so it was over.

That's not even counting that I had -4- back to back matches with killers using iridescent add-ons. I'm getting kind of exhausted of this game.

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255
    Options

There's a challenge in Tome 2 where you have to escape through the hatch with a key for Jane's story. Now I've got keys. I've got escapes. I just can't put the two together to save my life. I do not like this one.

• mintchapstick
    Options

I FINALLY DID ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

IT WAS AGAINST A BABY CLOWN BUT I DON'T CARE, I DID IT.