Perk Tweaks and Rework Ideas Part 2!

Hello everyone! Here are more ideas for perk changes! These changes are meant to make the perks become more useful and fun to use. Now, I have a feeling a lot of you when taking a look at "Monstrous Shrine" will think I'm out of my mind. That may be true, LOL. Anyway, comment below what you think of my ideas, which one was your favorite and what would you do to improve them. Thank you for reading my post and see you in the Fog! :3

Comments

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    edited September 2020

Breakdown would be awful for the game with that text.

Imagine all 4 Survivors running DS, BT, Unbreakable, Breakdown. Everyone would need to be downed like 5-6 times each. Insanely broken.

Open handed needs to be reworded/nerfed as well. The current wording says it takes the effects of aura reading perks, but not all aura reading perk effects are aura reading. Blood pact and your buckle up perk for example both have a haste component, and Babysitter has an anti-scratchmark/anti-blood component. Not to mention it would let you use OoO for free.

What the perk SHOULD do is show you any auras that are currently revealed to the other Survivor. So you'd only see the Killers aura with OoO if that Survivor is currently looking at the Killer. This would also enable revealing auras that didn't come from perks, such as Killer objects and items.

Your boil over is still useless, Killers do not have a fixed turning rate so even if you set the number to 100 it would still do nothing because it's effecting a stat that doesn't exist.

Even if the stat did exist however it still wouldn't matter. Killers don't HAVE to turn to navigate the environment.

It would be more productive for it to either effect struggle speed, or to reduce the Killers speed.

Your hangmans trick change is interesting, but also kinda misses the point. The issue with the perk is that it is overspecialized. Which is why it was only good when it's range was big enough to catch non-sabo players.

As for Zanshin Tactics, you should always avoid the use of RNG whenever possible, which in this case it is. Simply have it trigger after a certain number of attempts instead of randomly. So in this case the text would be "If a Survivor vaults the same pallet 4/3/2 times it breaks". 2 vaults = 1 break still means 50% of vaults break a pallet, but this time there is no luck involved so it's more consistent for both sides.

Monstrous shrine needs to specify the magnitude of the hindered effect

Lastly, less important but you can improve on the perk scaling.

For example:

Buckle up should scale the cooldown instead of the effect 70/60/50

Same for diversion

Insidious shouldn't scale the exposed duration, leaving it at 8 seconds regardless of tier.

Monstrous shrine should only scale the unhooking speeds

Zanshin Tactics should scale the aura reading effect instead of the pallet breaking effect

Open handed should only scale the effect duration and not the global range mod.

Boil over should still be reworked but short of that only scale the struggle effectiveness.

Basically, only scale 1 thing and have it be the least important number.

• SpasticLlama
    SpasticLlama Member Posts: 60

Thank you for the quick and honest criticism NuclearBurrito!

I understand your concern for "Breakdown" as I had the same thoughts. So, how about a few more changes such as you have to be hooked 2 times. So if you get hooked and reach the Struggle Phase the perk wont activate. Also, when I mean by "tremendous" I mean "Overcharge" with "Unnerving Presence" kind of difficulty.

As for the 10% turning reduction for "Boil Over", I can see what you are saying. I didn't think of it in that way lmao. So replacing it with reduced movement speed when the killer is carrying you is a great idea. Maybe like 3/4/5% perhaps.

For "Hangman's Trick" the 4/5/6 aura range helps you reveal survivors who are walking past them like you mentioned. It is indeed a specialized perk much like many others. Nothing is wrong with such perks as they add interesting and different perk builds. Not every perk has to be game changing like BT or BBQ.

For "Zashin Tactics" I can see your point with the issue of RNG. So your idea of the Pallet breaking when a survivor vaults over it 4/3/2 times is a good idea! :3

In general, I understand what you are saying about the scaling and specification of cool-downs, effects and etc of the perks. You seem to have a good amount of knowledge for balance. Thank you! I will try to do better next time.

Now, I am surprised you are not talking about the "Monstrous Shrine" perk with the Entity coming to kill you 3 times at random lmao. I thought it would be a cool concept! What are your thoughts on that exactly and what was your favorite change out of all of them?

Thank you once again for the response and have a nice day! :3

• NuclearBurrito

It really doesn't matter how hard the skill check is. The only thing a skill check does is limit how many different players can use the perk, it does not impact the actual strength of the perk. As for hooking someone twice, that doesn't solve anything.

Mostly because you want to encourage a quantity of hooks over keeping hooked Survivors on the hook (this is also a problem with current Monstrous Shrine btw), since otherwise you encourage camping, which isn't something that should be optimal ever outside of very specific situations. And to anyone that isn't camping, a 2 hook requirement is irrelevant.

• SpasticLlama
    SpasticLlama Member Posts: 60

I guess you are right cause at low ranks that perk would be broken and unfair. It was an interesting idea at first lol. I will come back later and revisit these perks and come up with more ideas. Thank you for your thoughts! You helped me a lot!

• NuclearBurrito