Hag vs. Trapper

Hey all,

I love this game. As a Survivor, I love focusing on stealth and objectives. As a Killer, I initially gravitated toward Trapper as he was free with purchase of the game and I've always been more tactical and less straightforward, so his playstyle appeals to me.

With this current Steam sale, I finally sprung for buying Hag, as I know she's very similiar in playstyle. After 1-2 bad games getting a feel for her and playing her for an evening, I can safely say she's amazing. I think a lot of folks don't exactly know how to play around her, particularly at lower ranks, but as I played more and more games and started being matched vs. purple survivors, I found my effectiveness was still undiminished much.

It seems like Hag just completely outclasses Trapper at his own game. Is that fair, or am I playing Trapper wrong?

Comments

• Carlosylu
    Carlosylu Member Posts: 2,948

You're playing trapper wrong, he's my main, 3k+ EVERY game, and now with the new addon to spawn hatch in a place you know, it's even easier.

Bring extra traps and addon to insta down if trapped, DON'T mind the gens, at the beggining of the game trap both exit door's levers, proceed to play normally with basement build, meaning Agitation, Iron Grasp, NOED and Blood Warden. Trap the hell out of basement.

Survivors love each other, don't even cmap or tunnel, let them fall into their doom by their own.

HAPPY KILLING FELLOW DBDer

• Magnathema
    Magnathema Member Posts: 27

I was a Trapper main when I started and then fell in love with Hag when I finally tried her. I'm a Hag main now but I still play Trapper a lot. I think they play slightly differently, but I also think Hag is just better with the current state of the game. Mobility is so important and her teleportation gives her that. Trapper can have some remote map pressure with the traps, but it happens so often that you catch someone in a trap and they're long gone before you can reach it.

Trapper feels a bit dated in some ways. The fact that he has to go pick up his traps versus Hag just always having them on her is a major difference.

Welcome to the more magical side of trap killers!

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

Hag is free? Or is that only on Xbox? Anyway Hag is the 1-3 best killer in the game while if it was not for Clown, Trapper would be the worst killer. Still if you just play for fun than Trapper is always a nice killer to play.

• Magnathema
    Magnathema Member Posts: 27

Hag and Doctor are free on consoles (at least PS4 and Xbox) but on PC they're paid DLCs. I think the price of those DLCs is factored in on consoles though so they're not exactly free.

• UMCorian
    UMCorian Member Posts: 531

Nah, Steam had a sale though with Blight's release - 40% off previous chapters. I picked up Hag and Deathslinger for like 4 bucks each.

AH, did not realize consoles got her for free.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

If you want hag advice you can check out Space Coconut. He seems to be a good hag player.

As for trapper. Otz has some nice vids on him. If your into twitch TheEntityLeftHand and Humerogamers are pretty good trapper mains.

• UMCorian

Yep, I've definitely watched Space Coconut and Otz. I know super good killers can play both and do very well with them... I'm just shocked at how much of an easier time I'm having 3 or 4King as Hag than Trapper, without really doing anything super different.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    edited September 2020

Hag is slower and her traps do not actually stop people but she sets up faster. She starts with all her traps. Her traps are harder to spot and setting one off jerks the survivors camera towards the phantom, leading into a free hit. However without her traps she is very very slow, hence the smaller terror radius.

Trapper on the other hand is countered hard by headsets, the fact he has to walk all over the map and pick up his traps to plant them, without longwood dye or tar bottle people can see them, the traps have to be placed in specific spots to catch someone, and they can be disarmed without bringing anything special. Hag traps at least need a flash light or someone needs to set them off while she is occupied. Anytime they release a killer whose power can be negated by survivors the meme is "So it's a trapper without his traps?"

I recommend Whispers for trapper. If you know how to use it it's not only a great tracking tool but it also tells you when no one is around. Meaning it's usually safe to plant a trap.

• hillbillyclaudmain69
    hillbillyclaudmain69 Member Posts: 1,528

Hag is a chase killer, and can be used as a three gen killer. Trapper is a dead zone killer. You create dead zones with his power, but you don't chase with it. Hag would naturally be stronger, as she is a chase killer, and trapper isn't. If youve ever played hag, you'll realize that she's very different than trap daddy;)

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104

Hag is stronger as she wastes less time setting up her web(area of traps) then trapper and doesn't need to collect her traps.

trapper doesn't stand a chance against a good swf as in someone is almost always watching him and disarming his traps, hag is similar to that but she can place her traps in spots where if they get triggered you get the hit anyway but they have to be set in odd spots and your assuming they want to trigger it so the trap will be a little farther from a pallet or window.

hag can defend an area easier than trapper and properly placed traps with good reactions are almost guaranteed hits, she relies on her traps more than trapper but its made up by the fact that she can have more placed, they give her map pressure, and the only way to disarm them is with a flashlight or by triggering them.

trapper does get the insta down and pickup if he a survivor goes into one of his traps but hag can down survivors very fast or get multiple survivors injured if you get traps to trigger back to back which is what you should try to aim for. the very fact that trapper just wastes more time on his traps which can be disarmed and have to be picked up/reset to use them makes him weaker than hag.

here's a video for you since you said your new to hag, it contains trap placements that all hags should know. I would also watch space coconuts guides both new and old as they contain tips that are still relevant and imo he explains things better.

also for people saying hag is a camping killer your right she is, she is one of the best in the game but thats because of her power and a hag placing traps at a hook or basement and staying in tp range isn't necessary camping especially if your in her web. yes there are hags that just wait until a save and go tunnel or go after the savior but the optimal way to play hag requires you to be in tp range anyway which to be far is pretty large at 40 meters.

• I can’t say whether or not you’re playing Trapper wrong. I can say if you’re going to compare them, her traps do more which gives her a lot more benefits than Trapper has.

Unlike Trapper, her traps are AoE so they completely shut down large area. Just thinking a trap is in a specific place encourages people to crouch which slows down the game.

Although her traps don’t guarantee an injury, if you bind the teleport to a button on your mouse or the mouse wheel you’ll almost always land your teleport hits.

Due to her trap’s AoE her end game is much stronger than Trapper’s when the gates are open.

There’s a reason she’s consistently placed in A/S tier.

• UMCorian
    edited September 2020

I get the impression not a lot of people know you can just simply crouch-walk over traps and not detonate them. They won't detonate while crouchwalking, nor will they detonate while you're doing an action like repairing or unhooking. If more folks knew that, they'd know her traps aren't 100% reliable camping mechanisms.

Of course, without knowing that, it can seem like if a Hag puts down a couple of traps on a hooked survivor, it's almost impossible to free them.