Highlights from today's dev Q&A 2020-09-10

Options

Comments

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,651
    Options

Okay coming from a PH main I can see a couple reasons why.

You press m2 and drag your sword, able to fire off a POTD almost instantly or cancel it 0.5 seconds. This leaves survivors in a pretty lose-lose situation (which is what makes him so fun to play, imo, because you can guarantee chases end quickly).

His cages promote scummy gameplay, like tunneling one survivor to remove them from the game ASAP.

One thing I hope they keep though is the ability to quickly hit through walls. People don't expect it and it makes me very happy hit those really satisfying shots.

• Itachi
    Itachi Member Posts: 55
    Options

Still nothing about this movement bug that has been in the game for so long.

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,389
    Options

Miss the "i watched this so you don't have to" by fibijean but this is definitely appreciated!

• Kira15233
    Kira15233 Member Posts: 473
    Options

Seriously, crossprogression is not something planned for console? Lemme ask Microsoft what they think about it to see if they are open to the idea to do it with switch

• deadbybums
    deadbybums Member Posts: 82
    Options

I think the only real change they should make to huntress is the iri heads. Instead if instant down, maybe make it a bit more like deep wound whereby it instantly takes you to injured state and you have 20 seconds to heal it before you go down. Ive never seen an iri huntress game last more than about 5 minutes its too OP.

Or option number 2, make the iri heads instant down but you have to charge the throw for longer before it activates. Making the situations where people use them a little less frequent. If you gotta hold it for a good 3-5 seconds to charge the one shot attack it gives players a few seconds to make a decision and if thwyre still in the open after that then theyre screwed.

• timbologna
    timbologna Member Posts: 348
    Options

You realize it's insanely difficult to land every blink and if you miss one you're cucked for four seconds right?

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246
    Options

So when bl is removed and you get those maps and setups what then? Just dc like entitled survivors when offerings are played?

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,924
    Options

Something about the DC system coming back either in the same or different form would be welcome.I've had 7 dcs in the last 3 matches alone!

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

I can hear people working on the new generators same as I could on the old ones, I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

• dugman
    Options

I agree, DC penalty can’t come back soon enough. It wasn’t mentioned one way or another in Q&A but that’s not too surprising since the reason it was disabled was due to hackers abusing it and they don’t normally discuss cheats on way or another.

• RepliCant
    RepliCant Member Posts: 1,436
    Options

Did they mention anything about the Claudette skin? Of potentially improving it or something?

• nursewannabe
    nursewannabe Member Posts: 1,075
    Options

Try my best? It happens quite rarely anyway. Notice how I mentioned we still complain about some unbalanced maps? That needs to be addressed. Doesn't mean bad killers need to be rewarded for their bad gameplay

• lucid4444
    lucid4444 Member Posts: 682
    Options

If you get bloodlust it was a bad chase. Tier 2 it was a REALLY bad chase. If you get Tier 3, you lost the game.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

I am in favor of removing Bloodlust when the maps are balanced enough that it is not needed anymore. I simply don't think we are at that point yet.

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,097
    Options

I'm guessing a skin but what would really be nice is a BP % boost based on how many characters you have prestiged.

Really though, I don't give a ######### what they give. Anything is better than nothing.

• Hopesfall
    Hopesfall Member Posts: 828
    Options

i'd rather have the BP boost, their skins are really hit or miss.. even some of the existing P3 skins are completely meh.. BP or Shard multiplier would be ok

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,384
    Options

As a PH player and someone who likes to face him, I hard disagree with all of this except maybe the last one maybe, if they reduce his recovery.

• SquirrelKnight
    SquirrelKnight Member Posts: 951
    Options

These changes sound kinda rough for me. Wanting to remove bloodlust, heck, the addition of a hatch spawning offering is insanely powerful with keys in their current state.

• dugman
    Options

To clarify they said they aren’t removing Bloodlust any time soon, but they’re leaving it on the table as something to keep an eye on.

• MrPenguin
    Options

Its not instant, there's a decent hold time before you can fire, also if you want to tunnel someone you don't send them across the map to who knows where and giving up your pressure in the process in most cases. Coming from a PH player and survivor player, he's strong but I don't think a nerf is needed unless you're going to buff other areas :)

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options

Trust me, there's not a particularly long hold time. If you want to tunnel someone it's incredibly easy; you hit them right after they've been hooked and cage them. Either they get saved, and a survivor gets off a gen (ruin exists so rip their progress) or they die. If they get saved, you're notified, and they die.

Coming from a PH main, a nerf is needed in these areas provided he gets buffed elsewhere

If you want a list of my proposed changes, then sure:

• MrPenguin
    edited September 2020
    Options

Maybe but instant is a stretch by far. I don't care if you're a mAiN, some of these these ideas are bad. You're not going to get them right after they been hooked unless they get saved right in front of you, which they should get punished for, or you were camping, in which case you lose the game if the survivors aren't potatoes because they will slam gens. This also assumes they have torment. You're also assuming that ruin is being used. This also assumes the survivors don't have BT. Saying "oh you get notified and they die" is ignorant. They'll be across the map, if they stay there after, again that's the survivors fault and they should be punished for it. Tunneling with cages is a horrible idea, you'll spend a lot of time looking for that 1 survivor when you could just hook them and know where they are the whole time. If you want to tunnel you hook, you don't cage.

Random locations would be horrible, the cage could appear right in front of you. The notification of where they get rescued is so you can plan around it the same way you do with hooks since sending them to a cage already loses you pressure in most cases, you don't need to be robbed of info that you'd normally get on top. Increasing the width of the POTD would make it borderline undodgeable with its current speed, let alone faster. The size is fine, its just too slow to hit and has way to long recovery.

The only things I could agree with is increasing the delay after he cancels his power to maybe huntress level, but reducing the recovery time substantially and allowing free movement while dragging, torment applying on hit, and making it hit faster. Players fake his power so much because using it is a huge risk, reducing the risk and increasing the delay for canceling would be fine. He's strong, but by no means Op or needing a nerf. The odds should always be in the killers favor when concerning any singular chase or singular player on the team, since there's 4 of them. We need more killers on a similar level but not all the way up to spirit and Freddy, not dragging them down.

Most people are fine with him the way he is, its a very vocal minority who don't like him from what we can tell as of this poll here:

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/168855/pyramid-head-fun-to-verse-or-unfun-to-verse#latest

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options

Most people are fine with him the way he is, its a very vocal minority who don't like him from what we can tell as of this poll here:

It's actually a "vocal minority" of the vocal minority. Many people who play the game don't have a forum account, and even then it's no guarantee that everyone on the forums has seen and partaken in that poll. Using that as evidence is unreliable because the sample size, for a game as large as DBD is, is actually incredibly tiny.

• Acromio
    Acromio Member Posts: 1,737
    Options

They're likely removing his exhaustion add-ons and giving him a nice, red bar around his power icon.

• Acromio
    Acromio Member Posts: 1,737
    Options
  • MrPenguin
    edited September 2020
    Options

Unfortunately that's all we got. But a 60/30 ratio is pretty telling, especially because people are much more likely to speak out about what they are against and dislike rather than what they agree with and do like. As far as we can tell, most people are fine with him the way he is. It might be different, but it is much more likely that this will line up with the bigger playerbase.

This thread alone has way more people not wanting him to be nerfed than those that do.

• Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409
    Options

I actually wanted to ask them " What are some of the biggest requests for a specific licensed chapter or killer they have seen this year?" but never got the chance

• Chunkyboi
    Chunkyboi Member Posts: 115
    Options

there is no way you are a PH main, the torment is there to help around dstrike if they make these changes it would be useless cuz as a killer u really need to use pop, its true that the range addons need to be nerfed but how the torment and addon work is fine as is

• crixus006
    crixus006 Member Posts: 383
    Options

Why they want to nerf pyramid head, come on, this killer is not op nor weakness... ;(

• JordanMalicious
    JordanMalicious Member Posts: 383
    Options
  • Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526
    Options

Yea, they sink killers.

That's why nurse is still the strongest killer in the game, it's why spirit is still second strongest in the game, and billys changes are barely noticeable

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,703
    Options

I don't think killers should be able to zone with their power, because it makes the skill of the killer disproportionately responsible for the length of the chase; if the chase goes on for a while, that's much more reflective of the killer playing poorly than the survivor playing well. I think both sides should have ample chance to influence the length of the chase by playing well.

They could address this in a bunch of ways (e.g. reducing his speed in torment mode, increasing the time between leaving torment mode and being able to M1). I don't really have a preference on exactly how they make it happen, and they'd probably need to buff him in other ways if they address this, but I'd love to see changes on that front.

• JordanMalicious
    Options

As a PH main, I disagree with all but maybe the last one, and even that is like...maaaaybe a small change.

Torment is perfectly fine imo, especially because most survivors will just walk/crouch over it unless you're actively chasing them and at THAT point you can use it to zone them, unless they are so stubborn that they would rather take a hit over being tormented.

Either way, knowing how pyramid Head works makes him fairly fun to counter. Unless people just decided to complain about him without ever taking the time to learn how he plays first, which is just dumb.

• notstarboard
    Options

I see the sarcasm, but it actually is impossible to react to his attack in time to dodge it; you have to dodge pre-emptively. I've done the math in other comments and I'd be happy to paste it here if you're curious.

• JordanMalicious
    Options

So I don't completely disagree with some of your ideas, but the zoning portion of PH I think is perfectly fair. It has a duration before disappearing, it doesn't injure the survivor, it is fairly easy to avoid, etc. If you use it to make a survivor leave a pallet, I don't think that's unfair, no more than clown tossing a bottle to slow down a loop enough to secure a hit. PH definitely needs a small change to how readily he can hit someone after his great knife is pulled out of the ground from using his power.

Also, to touch on you saying a long chase is more telling of a bad killer than a good survivor, I'd say there is too much nuance to simplify it down to those terms. However, we can obviously agree to disagree :)

• SpacingLlamas
    SpacingLlamas Member Posts: 602
    Options

Sounds like every Q/A to me lol. I dont even care to watch them anymore.

I didn't even know they had one yesterday

• notstarboard
    Options

I'm fine to agree to disagree aside from the "easy to avoid" bit, since it's actually not possible to react to POTD in time to dodge it. I've done the math elsewhere and would be happy to paste it here if you'd like.

If it were possible to dodge POTD by reacting to it I wouldn't have much of a problem with him. Since you can't, though, that's why the survivor is pretty powerless against him; you have to guess when he's going to attack and dodge preemptively in order to avoid it, but if you do that he can just walk up and M1 you. If he attacks at a bad time and misses, that's on him.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 7,130
    Options

If you could react to his attack, it wouldn't be mindgame, it would be called... a reaction. Its like same complaint people have against spirit, "I can't react to spirit walk", well yeah its mindgame not a reaction.

• Hopesfall
    Hopesfall Member Posts: 828
    Options

He was so OP today in that tournament, I mean, a 4k in 5 mins

wait

• seki23
    seki23 Member Posts: 833
    Options

i get why there is a cap in BP but 1m is nothing. at least gives 5m so we can do fukll Prestigie or something to a character since we need around 5 to 6 m points to go from 0 to level 50 p3... at least gives us that.

• seki23
    seki23 Member Posts: 833
    edited September 2020
    Options

you didnt cover anything of what is actually important and survivors want and is getting rid of "hit or hit situation", m2 to m1 should have a tiny cooldown of more than 0.5 around 1.5 to 2 seconds would make it fairer and actually rewarding for a survivor who makes a read so is not a hit or hit situation no matter what you do unless PH mess that up massively. the torment also shouldnt stay there im agree but still, most of what you said are minor changes that no one asked for. there is only one big problem and is the ont you didnt even mention

• notstarboard
    Options

There's no mindgame, though. From the moment Pyramid Head puts his sword in the ground, if you don't take a hit it's because the Pyramid Head messed up. There are two options for the survivor:

1) Dodge preemptively. If you do this you will quickly lose distance and Pyramid Head will just walk up and M1 you.

2) Don't dodge preemptively. If you do this, you're a sitting duck for his ranged attack.

In both cases, the only way you don't take a hit is if the Pyramid Head straight up misses. He either tries to use his ranged attack on a survivor that's dodging instead of M1-ing or he whiffs a ranged attack on a survivor that isn't dodging. Both of these outcomes are in the hands of the killer.

Good Pyramid Heads will never miss a survivor that doesn't dodge, so 2 isn't really a viable play. Good Pyramid Heads will also use POTD such that if the survivor guesses right and dodge at the perfect fraction of a second it'll still carry them away from safety so they'll be able to follow up the miss with a fairly quick hit. So, 1 isn't a viable play either.

That brings us to the only actual viable strategy against Pyramid Head: hoping he's not that good. If he uses POTD at stupid times and isn't accurate with it, your chases will last longer. That's on him, though, which is why I don't like it. When you're matched with a killer at your skill level, both of you should have freedom to make a play to impact the length of the chase. With PH, it's almost entirely on him. If he knows what he's doing, it doesn't matter how well I play. I'm taking a few quick hits and going down.

• YoshisCookies
    YoshisCookies Member Posts: 67
    Options

how about letting us know which console people are playing from

• Kleer_mi1k
    Kleer_mi1k Member Posts: 46
    Options

That takes a whole element of the game away I would be strongly against this. There are perks to shoe survivors where totems are...

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 7,130
    Options

"Good Pyramid heads never miss a survivor that doesn't dodge* I mean, you are correct, I mean by definition not dodging is getting hit. Its like saying Undefeated killers never lose... well yes you are undefeated if you never lose. Your upset that Pyramid head power does not have clear defined 100% certain full proof strategy to avoid getting hit by him or his power. Is this suppose to be the case? I am not sure how the killer is suppose to win in 4vs1 if your able to 1vs1 the killer for nearly entire match which is what happens to vast majority of low-tier killers. I could make same argument that Killer player is mostly at mercy of the survivors skill and his input on the match is very minimal the better the survivor team is. This does not strengthen or weaken an argument, it only illustrates a problem. Yes pyramid head can contest any loop and as such, he has more impact on the match the better the player is at pyramid head at outplaying his opponent. Its almost as if... his skill matters... who would guessed that? his power has mindgames and it is possible loop him but he is hard killer to loop which is why he is good.

• Ryan489x
    Ryan489x Member Posts: 1,447
    Options

Thank god they are working on cross progression I don't have to buy DLC twice anymore. There is a lot I don't have on PS4

• notstarboard
    Options

Being able to consistently land an attack that spawns with a max delay of .267 seconds and on a target within 8m that isn't changing speed or direction =/= being an undefeatable god killer. That should not be hard to do.

I am not mad that there isn't a 100% foolproof strategy to counter him, because that doesn't exist for any killer. I just want a strategy that doesn't involve the killer not playing well. I never said that the survivor needs to be able to 1v1 the killer the whole match if they don't mess up, because that would be the same problem in reverse. Both sides should be able to make skillful plays to shorten / lengthen the chase. The killer should win the chase in the end in most cases because they should have an advantage in the chase, and plus Bloodlust exists. I just don't think the counterplay from the survivor side should be hoping the killer is bad.

I've repeatedly said that his skill matters. I agree. I just don't want only his skill to matter.

• Ghost_Face_Main
    Ghost_Face_Main Member Posts: 618
    Options

If you're trying to joke about Billy, that's really dated. He needed an update to his power, albiet one that didn't make his power entirely mindless, but that's old news now.

As for Huntress and Pyramid Head's add-ons, there's not much to change drastically IMO

• EuphoricBliss35
    EuphoricBliss35 Member Posts: 875
    Options

And yet...I am. Weird huh. You saying something didn’t make it true. Huh. Imagine lol