Dead by daylight hexy tournament

zack12sora
zack12sora Member Posts: 40
edited September 2020 in General Discussions

So I've been watching hexy tournament today and as I write this it is still going on. I wanted to ask you guys what are your thoughts on dead by daylight being a tournament style do you think it can be possible or not something to try. I personally thought the points system could be better as I don't understand how 2 points is given for gens, when survivors flew threw them like nothing. Meanwhile killers can get a max of 16 points. ( If my math is right lol). Let me know guys

Post edited by zack12sora on

Comments

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

Anyone else watching now? That 4% and DS out the exit gates 😂

Never count a survivor out.

• Mercês
    Mercês Member Posts: 376

Forgot to say, FingerGuns is a GOD.

Do anyone knows if he/she streams?

• ClickyClicky

@Mercês I agree. Never heard of Fingerguns before but he really impressed me for most of this. Glad Agony won.

I take back what I said about DS, boy that came in clutch in 3 end games.

• MusicNerd_TC
    MusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099

Wait, slugging wasn't allowed? Hexy thinks slugging is toxic, but he allows camping, tunneling and noed?

• MusicNerd_TC

Fingerguns is one of the best dbd players out there is what I took away from this tournament. He managed to juke Ayruns nurse multiple times and ran him for a while, and made Ayrun lose a game. He is also an amazing nurse, and proved it with his consistent blinks. Agony should have won 4 hours before the tourney ended, but the DS bug prevented that.

• MusicNerd_TC

Also, the tournament scoring system is heavily flawed, because killing yourself on hook would actually help the team.

• xenofon13
    xenofon13 Member Posts: 1,241

Aaron as survivor didn't last 10 seconds against Fingerguns.

Fingerguns as survivor obliterated Aaron make him lose the tournament.

• Massquwatt
    Massquwatt Member Posts: 425

The scoring system is pretty hilarious I gotta say. If the survivors have a far enough point lead then all they have to do is just flog generators and let themselves die on the hook. Infact if your team has the lead and you're on first hook stage, all you need to do is just wait out the entire 2 minutes and you've denied the killer 2 extra points. I don't wanna be harsh and trash the work that people put into this but the scoring system needs some serious revising.

• Quol
    Quol Member Posts: 694

Scoring system is getting more hate than it deserves. It definitely was survivor biased but since both teams got to play as survivor/killer it wasn't unfair.

Ending got weird but the drama made things interesting so i didn't mind.

I like the idea that lower end killers can pick higher rarity add ons while stronger killers get lower rarity add ons. Fleshing this out could help with the Spirit/Nurse monotony.

Survivor builds were as expected but I did not expect Camaraderie to be used. I forgot that perk existed.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,246

I really wish the devs would focus on making this game more competitive. People can still treat the game casually if they want, but there is a ton of hype around the competitive scene and it's very hard as players to make it enjoyable for viewers when there is so little that is viable at high levels of play. The RNG makes so many maps a coin toss balance-wise. It's silly.

Trust me, as a tournament killer main, we would love to play a variety of killers, but the drop off from Nurse/Spirit to every other killer is DRASTIC. You all saw what happened to the Pyramid Heads and Freddy. There are two strong killers on the roster, some decent ones, and a whole bunch of awful ones. When nearly every map tile is safe for survivors, the killers that have to play around pallets will always be weak against skilled survivors.

I prefer a points system that awards points for each hook state, not the act of hooking itself. Yes, it leads to more camping, but you get more score variance and force survivors into higher risk plays. Camping these elite teams ain't exactly easy.

The bugs as usual dampen the experience. I wish the devs cared about bugs/game health. But they don't. It's just not a priority for them, unfortunately. KYF is an absolute nightmare to use and spectate games with. It makes these things a slog. If you can successfully get everyone in a lobby without having to restart the game and then have everyone load in with the correct build, you should buy lottery tickets. It's a complete joke and it has been this way for years. My team has gone 20 minutes between games at times in practice because KYF is that bad and buggy.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,971

Gonna be completely honest I didn't watch it

• Freesham
    Freesham Member Posts: 262

Don't both teams get a chance to play each side? Isn't it balanced in that case?

• Momentosis
    Momentosis Member Posts: 824

No because it causes things like if you're up ahead, you can literally just ######### on hook to deny points for the other team.

• robotron
    robotron Member Posts: 41

It's not because the team that goes second has a massive advantage. They know the exact amount of unhooks and deaths they can give to the killer to win the game. It wasn't uncommon either to see people dying on hook to deny the advantage to the killer. On the other hand, if you played the first match, the killer had the best chance to get points because the survivors will more than likely be altruistic to get as high a score as they can. That leads to more unhooks and possibly more deaths.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

It was fun to watch, but the rules could use some tweaking. Too many games were out of hand too early because the point differential was simply insurmountable. I feel like that shouldn't happen. Killer variety could've been a little better, but we did see a few different killers at least.

• Kumnut768
    Kumnut768 Member Posts: 789

i have lost all respect for ayrun and oracle, agony should've won 4 HOURS earlier but because of a bug with ds it went on for way longer than needed and the minute they were losing a match they conveniently got a "bug" and was allowed a restart

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

It was fun to watch but I wasnt really taking it seriously. The point system was hilariously favored towards survivors.

And Nurse despite breaking the game entirely is the only killer that can actually keep up with a team that just, y'know does gens. Game needs and entire rebalance from the ground up before its e-sports viable. It's not designed for it.

I commend Hexy for all the effort he put it though. And Dowsey and him being on the mic for that insane amount of time without losing it.

• ZaKzan
    ZaKzan Member Posts: 544

DBD is hilariously favored towards survivors, so the point system reflected that.

• bluedusef
    bluedusef Member Posts: 288

the amount of drama that went on last night im kinda SMH at the whole torny now. it was fun and then it was just a debbie downer at the end.so much toxicity from people.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

True. It says a lot that the only high level matches where a killer really dominated were the games where they 3 gen'd and immediately tunneled and patrolled the area. As NURSE. Now imagine if they didn't limit perks. Would have been a slaughter.

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Member Posts: 256

I turned it off when I realised everyone has going either Spirit or Nurse and I assumed at that point everything goes, meta builds, best perks etc. Why do people bother hosting tournaments like this? Put rules in that prevent each team playing the best killers, equipping the the best perks, basically do it like tydetyme did back in the day. His tournaments were the best, definitely the most entertaining and forced teams out of their comfort zones.

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647

Again with this... its a 15k cash prize and players actually wanna win... players can have fun while also competing...

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Member Posts: 256

What does the prize money have to do with the tournament not laying down any rules to encourage more variety in play? Nothing. It could be 1 million and nothing is stopping them from establishing rules in a tournament.

• JLew
    JLew Member Posts: 160
    edited September 2020

Why killers didnt get points for all stages on the hook is beyond me...only get 3 pts for 3 hooks and 1 point for a survivor who just gets hooked once and dies...that doesnt make a whole lotta sense

• Xbob42
    Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,117

It was just like real DBD, where you're punished for doing well! Well, the survivors weren't. The survivors got full points for doing well, while killers had to play in really stupid ways for maximum points.

And no, both sides having to play around stupid rules doesn't mean it's "balanced," because going first is an enormous disadvantage usually only overcome if you severely outplay the other team in the first round.

The optimal play should NEVER be to purposely die. Especially since killers had no way to counteract this.

Again, even if you consider is "balanced," it made it less entertaining and much more predictable because killers were functionally neutered unless they got 12 hooks. Get a quick 4k? Enjoy your lack of points! Do all 5 and gens and escape quickly? Full points!

God the scoring system was dumb. A perfect 4k or 4-man escape should just automatically result in full points.

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015

For the most part the rule set was fine but DbD has far too much RNG to be actually tournament worthy. I will say though that the parts I caught were genuinely a joy to watch.

• maderr
    maderr Member Posts: 251

Dead by Daylight is not a game made for tournament. RNG + unbalance between killers, survivor builds etc... makes it impossible to be competitive.

Moreover, Hexy's tournament rules are so dumb, forcing survivors to play immersive and to let themselves die on hook to get 1 escape... Killers having just 1 point for hooking even if they get a kill...

Well i dunno who made those rules but to my mind, it's not the way the game should be played.

• PyroGL
    PyroGL Member Posts: 239

Couple of thoughts:

1) I am embarrassed on BHVR's part that they somehow have the spectator camera tied to the actual model of the killer, making spectating killers in KYF mode a complete catastrophe. It is beyond me how little effort they have put into KYF, and have allowed this bug to persist through multiple patches. (NOTE to BHVR: this is the kind of stuff we are taking about when the community BEGS for a "game health" patch/chapter. Fixing the stuff that gets forgotten about.)

2) Sound and DS bugs being introduced mid tournament? Can't even describe how gamebreaking and dumb that was.

3) Killer pick variety and killer build variety was still a bit too bland for my tastes. Otz was the true MVP of the tourny with actual off-meta picks and doing well with them.

4) Scoring. I have mixed feelings on the scoring. I understand by not awarding a point for bleedouts, no points for hook states, it discourages hard camping (but wasn't entirely successful) and discourages excessive slugging (also didn't really work). At the same time, I think the survivor's ability to deny the killer points by intentionally going into 2nd stage was BS, or not even attempting to find NOED and go for saves, thus denying killers more hook points.

5) Was 99%ing the gates not allowed? Might have been a good idea if a team had the balls to go find NOED and save their teammates. I have a feeling that with Hex: Undying being introduced, these survivor teams will need to spend a bit more time on totems...

Has there been any DBD tournaments whose killer pick format forces more killer diversity? Like, out of the 21 killers we have, create a pool of 5 killers (randomly selected from the 21) and for the 1st round of the tournament killer players can choose from that pool. Then in next round, take another 5 (randomly selected from the remaining 16) and repeat. Just a thought.

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246

I completely agree and do not understand why hook stages have not been awarding points in the first place but that is something they fix in the next i hope, if there ever is a next one. It was fun to watch imo, sad that so many bugs make it hard to enjoy watching the game.

I think the interest from people is there, i think his stream had 10-15k people watching most of the time, which is more viewers than all other dbd streams aside from say anniversary streams and such from dbd itself. Devs need to step it up, the foundations are there.

On a sidenote, I laughed my ass off when ayrun gave up the 3 gen and went to chase fingerguns. mhmkay

• ClickyClicky

I dont know why people are saying this isn’t tournament worthy.

Watching a survivor get an escape due to a 4% kobe and DS was the kind of epic play you’re not gonna see in any other game.

• UMCorian
    UMCorian Member Posts: 531
    edited September 2020

It's a good thought, but their point system seems to be set up to provide a boring viewership experience. 1 point per hook, 1 on death... but if, say, you hooked a survivor only once and they died on hook, you just get 2 points for it. Why wouldn't the killer get full points for that? It might have encouraged bolder play - survivors trying late game unhooks - to keep from losing those extra points.

Then you have situations where the one survivor is left on hook... and doesn't try to unhook themselves and just dies, so we watch nothing happening until he dies, because if he tried to unhook himself and succeeded, he'd be about a 99% chance of just feeding the killer another point.

This happened in Match 1 for both sides, where the point totals and awards encouraged them to leave people on hooks and end the match. Why would you set it up like this? DBD's most exciting gameplay is late hooks and late unhooks. If anything, the points should encourage "big balls" late game plays - not the opposite.

You gotta make the rules more viewer friendly to encourage action, not playing safe.

Perhaps a fix might be, if you abandon someone at the end of the game without *at least* 1 late game unhook, the Killer gains 4 points. Succeeding at 1 late unhook negates those points gained. This makes it so trying and failing (to the tune of someone else getting hooked) is more likely better than doing nothing at all.

Post edited by UMCorian on
  • Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647

With how the system worked that alone encourages to play in the most optimal way... like you're not gonna play Bubba to catch ayrun or any of oracle... and even then no one is going to tune in to watch Bubba get stomped multiple times or watch as the match is over before trapper finally gets going...also nobody enjoys rules restricting strong killers. Yeah there's some people that'll tune in to watch some fook around.. but this is an example of why more killers need to be buffed.... so there is more variety.

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142
    edited September 2020

You and I will disagree there. The 4% is 100% RNG based, so that is luck and not skill. I consider truly skilled plays to be epic, such as a Widow grappling hook, leap high into the air, double headshot while falling in an Overwatch tournament or OWL play. Or the coordinated team plays in LoL tournaments.

A 4% lucky self-unhook into a DS escape isn't what I think of when I think of an epic play. I think: well, RNG was on their side. I already 4% quite more than I should in DbD as it is.

So, when it comes to tournaments, I'm glad that I'm "not gonna see plays like that in any other game." I prefer my tournaments to be about high-end, skilled plays. Not wins due to RNG.

• UMCorian
    UMCorian Member Posts: 531
    edited September 2020

It was OK, I just think they need to tweak the rules to encourage more "big balls" plays in the late game. First match, everyone just walked out, leaving a guy on the hook. DBD's most exciting gameplay is when you refuse to leave to try and save that last guy on hook.

Under the current rules, I'd say if you abandon a teammate on Hook without one successful late game unhook, the Killer is awarded an additional 4 points. This means it's almost always a better play to go back for that survivor and risk getting another hooked (2 points for the killer), rather than 4.

• TheEdMaverick
    TheEdMaverick Member Posts: 101

am i the only one that liked the Haydun's scape against a hag? lol

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,246

I've been there. It's amazing what you forget in the heat of the moment in high stress tournament games. It makes Fingerguns all the more impressive because he kept his fundamentals throughout. It's not easy to stick to the basics in those games.

• unluckycombo
    unluckycombo Member Posts: 582

It was really fun to watch, but I think there were some teams that were less prepared for a tournament then Dead by Daylight is. (Looking at you, Ankle Breakers) A lot of things were really great to see (Fingergun's Nurse was phenomenal, and I gotta agree that Otz was the MVP- his builds and killer choice was so out there compared to the other teams, and he did really well with them. Like his Wraith game? Amazing.)

However, I do agree that the rules were way too one-sided. Survivors had way more point opportunities (and easier point opportunities) then the killer- so a lot of the points seemed to rest more on the killer getting more hooks then the enemy. I don't really agree with how they scored everything, honestly.

I think it just cemented the fact that the game really isn't ready for a true competitive scene. I know a lot of people really want to see it (and I do too), but I think their system is both too broken right now, and too unstable to do it. (For example, this tourny has a point system, while there are others that base it on the survivor killed to escape ratio- because there's no true, definitive 'win' or 'lose' in this game. I could die as a Survivor and still feel like a winner just for getting to finish an Archives challenge, or get a 1k as a killer and still feel like a winner because I t-bagged with a Survivor.) Add that in with all the bugs, and I think it just shows this game shouldn't be taken as competitively as it is in it's current state. I know the Devs have stated that this is a 'Competitive Game', but in that case, the ranks should matter more, there should be a stricter competitive rule list, a distinction between a 'Win' and a 'Loss', and a true 'Casual' mode. As it currently stands, the real Competitive Mode is KYF, while normal Queue is casual. (Which, honestly, I think is fine- but the Devs need to decide if this game is truly Competitive or not, and balance around it. If it's balanced as Competitive, then balance around the top 1% of the 1%. If it's casual, then balance around the average player. Pick one and go with it.

• Kumnut768
    Kumnut768 Member Posts: 789

can we just make this a thread about how much of a beast fingerguns is?

• xerav
    xerav Member Posts: 392
    edited September 2020

The Tournament was good (compared to this "we all have fun" BHVR tournament weeks before. They had some nice UI and it was well done tbh.

BUT

DBD is a bugfest (and while this is kinda okay when nothing is at stake) it shows when it matters... like that ds being buggy.

+

DBD is not balanced at all (4 good survivor will destroy every killer who cant remove Hitbox Loops (you know the one survivor can run faster then others).

So we pretty much will always see spirit and nurse.

I kinda wish Hexy would allow 4ds and 4 bt and ban nurse/spirit/hag just so people can see what happens.

• RizeAki
    RizeAki Member Posts: 1,209

Honestly his tournament wasn’t a real tournament it was super flawed and seemed unplanned because no one was playing dbd they were playing a point system that was survivor sided in an already survivor sided game (I say this because they were all coordinated swf groups)

• xerav
    xerav Member Posts: 392

(personal opinion ofc).

But both teams play killer AND survivor and unless you ban everything from survivor its only natural that the Killer will lose with the state of balance ingame. Cant blame the tournament for flaws of the game