Why *Shouldn't* Killers Camp, Tunnel, Mori, NOED etc. ?

Options
StarLost
StarLost Member Posts: 8,077
edited September 2020 in General Discussions

Watching an interesting video Tofu made about a month ago about this sort of issue. And boy, did he nail it.

Essentially, killers are still expected to abide by an outdated code of honor, while survivors just...aren't.

If one side is going to do everything possible to win, why are killers expected not to do the same?

It would be wonderful if everyone cared more about having a fun game than winning - but that's just not the game at present. Whether it's SWF groups, smurfcomps, stompcomps, endless rounds of DS/DH/BT, keys, tricked out toolboxes, instaheals and at least one Blendette per game, survivors seem to want to have their cake and eat it too.

Frankly, why should I, as a killer, be expected to play by some ruleset when the other side isn't?

Comments

• MusicNerd_TC
    MusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099
    Options

Yeah, if the gens get done extremely fast, then I might resort to tunneling or camping, or if the entire team is a bully squad who just want to annoy the killer. However, if the team just seems like some casuals, who are just playing to have fun, I won't tunnel and camp.

• storydove
    storydove Member Posts: 54
    Options

The killer is playing the bad guy. If it's within the rules it's fine.

• musefan
    musefan Member Posts: 345
    Options

To be honest, it's a fair point.

Lets make some rules for survivors too...

1. Gens cannot be completed within 60 seconds of each other

2. Each survivor must get in a chase at least once per game

3. You can't drop a pallet more than 3 times per chase

You break any of those rules and you are a toxic survivor.

Might give them a go myself tomorrow, see how the games play out. Not well, I assume 🤣

• StarLost
    Options

Yes to 1. 2 would be nice but I'd rather see some sort of aura reveal if you hide for too long. 3...break all the pallets you want. Gives me points and most of the killers I play can laugh at pallets.

Argh, yes. I swear, at least once or twice a day I have that - where I can't find the slugs and they just bleed out. It's like 'sorry, mate. I was going to hook you but you wanted to die in a bush'.

I wish killers had a close range Deerstalker baseline. I often end up being unintentionally toxic because I just can't find people.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

I do hold survivors to a code of honour, and if they break it I disregard mine.

The reason they exist is because the game is absolutely ######### miserable otherwise. Too many idiots (and yes, if someone plays DbD competitively they are an idiot for a multitude of reasons) ruining games with scummy tactics. Oh, look, let's just tunnel this one person (a very inefficient tactic) and rob 4 people of a game. Oh, let's just do Gens Before Friends and abuse DS.

Except the entitled players of this community except one side to have rules of honour and not the other. And, when that is the case, they usually have wildly unrealistic expectations. For example: touching someone with DS is tunneling. Doing gens is genrushing. Looping strong areas is toxic. Zoning into deadzones is toxic.

(Okay, side note to bring in a ray of sunshine, I was chasing this Nea the other day through Shack>Path Pallet>Path Pallet>LT>Long Wall>Junk Tile. We both spent ages in the post game chat drooling over the setup. I was so jealous.)

• TheStabbiNAngeL
    TheStabbiNAngeL Member Posts: 1,264
    Options

Have fun getting Tbagged at the gate because you wanted to follow the rules survivor rules at that which is some mind game bs they've program us,I'm done being nice to survivor's only so they can bully my me and my favorite killer, no thank you they don't care they just want to ds you and get a free escape even though you out preformed them at every turn only to care you gey or trash in the end basically what there going to do win or lose.

• TheStabbiNAngeL
    Options

You can patrol for two seconds around the hook and they still call you a b*****

• megswifey
    megswifey Member Posts: 826
    Options

I don't like camping because if it's first hook and they just sit there then I lose all of my points. In the same way killers don't like being abused with those flashlight users (Not the ones who are respectful, the ones who ACTIVELY LOOK FOR YOU AND PALLET SLAM AND ALL THAT BS TO BLIND YOU LMAO) as well as the survivors that are running farming perks (which also ruin it for other survivors if they aren't careful), survivors don't like getting f'd over and having people play like a jerk. The point of the game is to win. There are ways of doing that-- with a good group of survivors, NOT toxic players in general) that will allow both sides to have a good time. Hook, slash, damage, whatever, but getting tunneled while 3 gens pop is not fun. I'm sorry that some of you have met bad people on both sides, but I like to come out of those matches knowing that I'm playing the game in a way that allows everyone to have a good time. So, on that note, good luck in future matches and do your best :)!!

• Tricks
    Tricks Member Posts: 957
    Options

Because Killers get 4 lives. Survivors only get 1

• HangingMeat
    HangingMeat Member Posts: 3
    Options

Im hearing "THEY" from all of you, ######### people its "US" playing. (some of us play both sides and have fun doing both.) its not survivors fault that you prefer to be the aggressor, and its not Killers fault that survivors feel they have to gloat when they escape because you may not be the best player.. it is everyones fault for choosing up sides and feeling the "US" against "THEM" syndrome. Most of us play to have fun and earn some blood points. i haven't been playing this game for all that long, probably a total of 3 months and i'm not really great at it, but i was told #########, uninstall, you suckwithin the first few hours of playing the game. AND YOU WONDER WHY THIS COMMUNITY IS SO TOXIC?

try teaching people instead of belittling them because they haven't been playing for 4 years like you have. maybe a bit more understanding and a little less EGO, and the game might be fun for everyone.

my 2 cents. agree or don't.

"let the trolling begin"

• HollowsGrief
    HollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497
    Options

I play based on the survivor's playstyle. If people are slow on gens and not all that great in chases I take it easier on people and give people plenty of time to unhook/heal, etc. If it's a sweaty team though I will do what it takes to win, and that sometimes includes tunneling/camping. If you abuse DS on me by hoping in a locker I'll always tunnel you though, it's a d1ck move and I don't tolerate it.

• Suvakita
    Suvakita Member Posts: 67
    Options

The killers have the right to camp and etc, and I have the right to dc when they do it

• TheStabbiNAngeL
    Options

I mean that's why, I was playing the way I was trying to be as fair as possible, I play killer all the time this way,but when I play survivor I get tunneled and camped.I know what it's like through the looking glass ,there's only rare occasions where a killer is respectful to me but, I didn't let the negativity effect me. Every survivor I play against never shows the same respect as I do to other players, they've always been obnoxious,rude,and toxic sure, I like to be a little naughty but it's all in good fun never toxic and, I can tell it's not toxic because of their response to my actions, but for the last month even longer everytime a survivor beats me they either gloat or Tbagg really hard or worst ,you get tired of that same ole routine trying to be fair only to not receive it back.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,424
    Options

Survivors are also expected to play/follow certain rules. You just listed them yourself.

Killers complain about them in these forums every single day.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options
    Camping

I don't face camp mid-game because it's typically bad strategy. If the survivors aren't coming to me then I need to go to them to keep up the pressure and keep getting hits and downs and scoring points. Me standing around doing nothing is just letting them do gens for free. Once the exits are open if I have someone on a hook I'll defend it since that's obviously the best play, but otherwise I don't just sit around defending a hook unless the survivors are dumb enough to rush in while I'm there.

Tunneling

Shorthand for "I don't like being downed twice in a row". This is all sore losing. Obviously if I have a choice between hitting an injured survivor versus a healthy one I'll down the injured one if I can. And if I think I can hook someone twice or three times versus two people once I'll hook the one person multiple times because killing them faster puts on huge pressure on the remaining survivors. There's absolutely nothing "unsportsmanlike" about downing the same person twice or three times in a row. The only reason not to "tunnel" is you shouldn't become overly focussed on chasing one survivor if it will take you too long to get a hit or down. You have to know when to break off a chase that will eat up too much of your time and be willing to switch to pressuring other gens or chasing other survivors who are out of position.

NOED

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using NOED. Since most games (maybe 60%) between equal opponents end with 0-2 kills (the game is built around the killer essentially "losing" at 0-1 kills and being "close/a draw" at 2 kills) it follows that the gens will be completed most of the time. Even if you play well, if the survivors also play well it will still be an uphill fight to stop the gens from being completed. So the Exit door stage of the game is a common occurrence and NOED is simply a version of Haunted Grounds, essentially, that happens to only work in that last one to two minutes of play. It's similar to using a perk like Corrupt Intervention or Whispers to help you in the first minute or two of play and then the perk not doing anything later, but in reverse since NOED doesn't help you until the last two minutes or so. The only reason survivors don't like this perk is because they feel "cheated" if they get downed at that point, as if they "deserve" to escape when the gens are done. Which is a fallacy, you don't deserve escape until you actual open the doors and leave, if you get downed before that you were fair game.

Personally I don't use NOED myself simply because I think the mid-game is the most fun part, I'd rather use perks that help me in the mid-game or maybe Whispers to get me in a chase right off the bat then a perk that will only help me in the end game that I find a bit more dull. But that's just my playstyle and I totally get other killers maybe wanting to beef up their endgame with NOED and more power to them!

Mori

There's nothing wrong with using Moris. If the devs didn't want people using Moris they wouldn't be in the game. Same with Keys. I don't use them that often mainly because I typically get more bloodpoints by not using them, but I have no problem using them if I'm doing a side mission that calls for me killing survivors for instance.

That being said I do think the Yellow Mori is worthless and the Red Mori is overpowered. (Green is fine.) Personally I'd be for rebalancing them like:

Yellow Mori: Lets you kill any survivor that you've hooked twice. (Better than the current version, still not as good as Green.)

Green Mori: Lets you kill one survivor that you've hooked once. (No change)

Red Mori: Both of the above. Lets you kill one survivor that you've hooked once and any survivor that you've hooked twice. It's not as powerful as the current version but still better than Green and still lets you get the mori animation multiple times per match.

(And along those lines I think Keys are fine for the most part, although I do think they should probably only let the key user escape and not multiple survivors with a single key.)

• AnthonyC2014
    AnthonyC2014 Member Posts: 91
    Options

Camping - While sure, the argument is "It's not effective, just do gens while the person dies" it's not fun to sit there being facecamped while the killer taunts you by hitting you over and over, and it's even worse when your braindead teammates try to save you. This really only applies to Solo Queue though. It just feels demoralizing tbh.

Tunnel - To be honest, I don't mind tunneling because the survivor will usually have Decisive Strike or know how to loop if they are being tunneled, however, it is not fun to be camped AND tunneled the moment you get off, because it feels as if you have no chance to escape.

Mori - I don't see the issue with moris.

NOED - NOED is annoying, but unless you facecamp with NOED, there's not a huge issue with it.

Basically, all of these strats have one thing in common, they give no opportunity of escape for one specific survivor while practically letting all the others go. And yeah, it's stupid when the 4man claudette rank 1 p3 legacy swf is telling you how garbage you are for being on the same plane of existence as the person on the hook, but honestly, getting camped isn't as bad if the killer doesn't sit there hitting you and taunting the whole time, just like getting no escapes isn't as bad when the survivors don't sit there teabagging. Just don't rub their face in it tbh and I'm chill with it. Other than putting yourself at a disadvantage while doing these though, go for it I guess. This is coming from someone who has to deal with a SWF teammate that doesn't do generators and flashlight clicks then complains about tunneling so I don't tend to mind it tbh.

• yobuddd
    yobuddd Member Posts: 2,259
    Options

Killers are self serving and want to inflict pain. If they sit in front of a hook watching someone hang all match, they’re denying themselves that pleasure to any real extent. Furthermore, if they only target the rescued survivor, then they’re limiting their spread of agony and terror. No killer wants to see 75% of their potential victims escape unscathed!

Moris are a sweet treat, but wasted if the survivor doesn’t get to develop a sense of true dread first. They should go through the agony of 2 hooks and at least 4 attacks first!

NOED is fine.

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340
    Options

I enjoyed this video when I saw it. He provides a good explanation of how the code came to be. As dbd grew and grew, the code was kinda of lost.

• StarLost
    Options

Am I? When I do find myself camping (never face, always patrol or proxy) it's not to do with the pleasure of killing that survivor (unless it's some dumb daily or quest) - the idea is either to remove something like a souped up toolbox, an Object or simply someone who I consider a high priority kill.

However, the main purpose isn't usually to kill them. It's to draw multiple players to an area of the map where hopefully I have more favorable terrain, or can easily patrol generators. Especially in games where the survivors are sneaking around in bushes all game.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,657
    Options

Summarised my own thoughts better than I ever could lol

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,903
    Options

Everyone should just play as they want to play. I've played 10 survivor games today and have been tunneled 4x, face camped 2x and mori'd 4x although 2 of those 4 tunnel and mori overlap as I was tunneled off hook into a mori and you know what... I don't care.

I had fun, I ran around, I did some gens, I escaped a few times even after an attempted tunnel and if I got mori'd (even after 1 hook) I watched the animation because some of them a really sick, I love em. Then I queued again and still didn't care, thats the best part about this, its a game and it doesn't matter. I de-piped a couple of times, pipped up a couple of times, black pipped and am a level higher than I was when I started but again who cares.

I've played about 10 killer games one serious hook sabo grief squad that really powered through the gens but with it going south I switched to tunneling out one guy and camping the other in the egc for a very salty 2-2. My response gg wp. I got destroyed tonight for about 6 games and finished out with 3 great games on Hag Trapper and Doc, completeing a few rift challenges. People t-bagged, clickity clicked, pointed, post game chat abused me but again I don't care its a game. At least 6-8 people have keyed out an escape on me tonight and I don't care. I've also had some great post game chuckles with good people who can game like adults, people like that make the game better.

I also burned 4 moris, one useless netting me only one kill, (they were very good), one totally destroying everyone de-pips single hook mori run with legion for a daily, and the rest I played em if I felt like it. I'm one rank lower today than I was yesterday and I DON'T CARE.

Its a game its fun, we all need to stop the whining, the moaning, the no counter play, delete mori's/keys cry baby overeactions and just play the game.

Beacuse its meant to be fun, if its not why play?

(Numbers are estimates I really don't keep track of this #########, I have a real job to work at this is supposed to be just for fun).

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,003
    Options

This is a bit of a skewed perspective. Many killers actually are nice and play fair, but this has made a lot of survivors expect it and get toxic when they face a "no holds bared" killer. Killers made the book on how to be nice and toxic survivors have twisted it into a rulebook.

• Corikstarr
    Corikstarr Member Posts: 23
    Options

I'm just going to echo the sentiment that Killers seem to be held to a different standard than Survivors. I get part of the reason why is because the killer is literally trying to end the match, and sometimes that means a survivor is out super fast. But what is the Killer supposed to do? Politely wait in a corner, facing a wall, while each Survivor gets their full three hooks? That's obviously an exaggeration, but it sometimes feels that way.

The main problem is that we seem to often forget that the Killer is supposed to have fun also. Yet a lot of salty Survivors seem to be under the impression that anything they personally do to give them the edge (certain perks, body blocking, voice chat, etc) is fair play, and anything the Killer does is rude and trying to ruin their fun. Like a match can never be fun if they don't escape, and screw the fun of the Killer, they don't matter.

I know it's deeply unpopular with the Survivor main crowd, but I well and truly believe SWF with voice chat is ruining an exceedingly large number of games for the Killer specifically and to a degree, harming the game as a whole. It goes entirely against the spirit of the game, and only serves making things easier for the Survivor and often impossible for Killers. Especially early to mid rank Killers that may just be trying to learn the game still. Killers don't have an equivalent answer to it. They're alone entirely, so it's not like they can just chat with someone to level the field. Now, I know that some SWF are literally just friends playing together, and most of the time, that's fine. I don't mean them. I mean the try hard groups that can never ever let the Killer even have a glimmer of hope, followed by being rude in post game chat to the very Killer that they already likely annoyed for 5-15 minutes. Cause god forbid they have fun too.

I guess my point is, as long as there are Survivors that can't have fun without a full team escape and don't view the Killer as another person rather than just a punching bag, it's just always going to be this way. Where Survivors cry foul whenever the Killer does anything to counter their own game tilting/sometimes breaking shenanigans. It would just be nice if Survivors were held to some kind of standard of fair play.

• Tricks
    Tricks Member Posts: 957
    Options

If you want to go at it from that angle:

• Survivors get 2 lives each (totalling 8 - the last 1 each dont count because its their final life)
    • Killers get 16 lives
  • Bard
    Bard Member Posts: 657
    Options

Camping

This one is simple.

If you camp, you pressure one guy.

You might get the kill (though between BT, DS, and Bodyblocks who knows), but the 120 seconds it takes somebody to die on hook translates to 360 man-seconds of work that can be done on generators, out of 400 that are required to power the exit gates.

You also lose rank and get next to no points for it.

Tunneling

The killer should tunnel if given the opportunity.

Thing is, DS exists, so that opportunity rarely arises.

Always go for the easiest target.

Mori

It's boring.

You get no points.

You lose rank.

They're expensive in the bloodweb.

NoED

Because the perk just isn't very good.

Especially with Undying in the mix it's pretty common to see people run Detective's Hunch now, so NoED likely won't survive to endgame.

Even if it does, this has all the weaknesses of a Tier 3 Myers. If you catch everybody clumped together on the same gen and get a 4-man Slug in the endgame to turn it around, GREAT. That's almost never gonna happen though. You're still pretty easy to loop, and most of the time you're probably gonna get one down (if that), and there's a decent chance they're already injured anyways.

Why run NoED to maybe clutch the endgame when you can run Haunted Ground for the same number of downs, but at a point in the game where you can still snowball off of them?

• BabyDweetMain
    BabyDweetMain Member Posts: 434
    Options

That's not what he said in that video...he said both killers AND survivors followed this honor code. Survivors wouldn't use op crappy perks and neither would killer. It wasn't just killers following the rule.

• StarLost
    Options

This is going to end up as semantic quibbling, isn't it :) ?

Yes. But as things stand, killers are still expected to adhere to this 'code' while survivors aren't. I could probably have explained my point better.

• BabyDweetMain
    Options

I recommend people go watch Tofus actual video cause this post seems like it was trying to bait a killer vs survivor argument with their wording.

• xerav
    xerav Member Posts: 392
    edited September 2020
    Options

Tbh most survivor think a Killer HAS to obey these rules (which is wrong: we do it cuz we are nice players or want to challenge ourself).

Tunneling / Camping (talkin about makin sure a survivor dies after he reached second hook not face camping from the start) is doing your objective a efficient way (and this is a fact).

Some salty survivor are super offended by Killers abusing their weakness when they do the same by doing gens as fast as possible (you could do it slower when you see the killer is struggling but will you slow down?).

Noed: Its just a revenge perk after you lost the game a good Killer will bring perks to help win the Game. Nothing wrong with it cuz they can just do bones to counter it and even if they die to noed they still had a full game of making bloodpoints.

Mori: Pure Bullshit (similar to Keys). Being able to speed up Killing is not very good for the Game (they should only work after 2 hooks).

So in the end play as you wish (just dont use moris unless the devs force you with dailys and challenges).

• BabyDweetMain
    edited September 2020
    Options

No one is saying survivors aren't though...read the posts on the forum. Killers constantly talk about crappy things survivors do that they wish they didn't. Killers even cry for survivors to get nerfed. There's two sides but you're just choosing to paint the survivors poorly here.

• BioX
    BioX Member Posts: 1,378
    Options

Sigh this discussion again?

The devs are pretty fortunate there are so many players who still play the game to have fun and to ACTUALLY win, if all killers would just suddenly turn to camping/tunneling/noed/mori this game would just die and technically there is nothing really preventing that from happening other then...well the people who want to play for fun.

What value is there in taking candy from a baby? what did you ackomplish? what victory is there to be had? oh right...nothing.

Its the same with survivors demanding it to be easer to pip about a year or so ago, it directly deminishes the value of a pip or of rank.

You can cheat in a game and win, congrats? you can also play seriously and not literally use everything to give yourself the edge and the more you do not use, the greater the victory when you end up doing well.

and apart from all of that...what is fun about just standing there and waiting for people to come to you, each their own sure but I dont see how this motivates anyone to keep playing.

• StarLost
    Options

Sure. I think it makes sense in context.

The issue is that survivors do not seem to care about the fun of the killer, while the killer is expected to care about the fun of the survivors. And BHVR seem to support this mindset, which is why they got rid of both killer matchmaking and SWF/smurf protection for some reason.

And no, that's not the sort of camping I'm talking about - unless it's a Blendette with a toolbox or a key.

When people accuse me of 'camping' it's because I'm patrolling a path that takes me past a hooked survivor at some point. Why wouldn't I? I can force chases to happen where I want and not lose 3 gens without even seeing a survivor, because they are a premade and have a permanent lookout/object.

• StarLost
    Options

Agreed! Which is my initial selection of killers was Hag, Spirit and Doctor. If it's a horror game, I want to hear those buggers scream.

• BioX
    BioX Member Posts: 1,378
    edited September 2020
    Options

I mean fun for the other is kinda also fun for you no? because if the other is not having fun then they just dont try anymore and the entire thing is a waste of time.

But my message goes both ways, I know that when im leveling a character and I happen to pretty much only have meta type perks from the bloodweb, I know that many things I got away with were because the perk carried me, the perk did that for me, that was not me in the slightest so even when I escape or make others escape its just very much with the knowledge that that was just cheap nonsense.

Survivors running full small pp sweatlord meta builds, again I dont understand the mindset because they should realize that they dont ackomplish anything when they escape, but sometimes I think that that is their point, that the game is broken and killers dont stand a chance against such teams.

But its all a bit of a nothing burger again because not that many people play at that level that its really a problem and when you do encounter one, well, idk about you but I just start memeing because any notion of serious play was out the window from the start.

Same as a killer bringing their ebony mori.

• pseudechis
    Options

These are all good reasons not to do some of the things on the list and when to do some of them, but none of them are reasons to tell someone else not to do them. Like I said play how you want to play. There is no rule book anything goes until death or escape.

• StarLost
    Options

Moris are like keys, and I do genuinely avoid using them unless it's evident from the outset that I'm facing a smurfcomp or stompcomp. Or I get one of those annoying quests that essentially require them (the Obsession one...yeah, sorry about those games everyone).

I'd be happy to see both go, if the Mori quests go with them.

• StarLost
    Options

I find tactical camping to be an invaluable tool. Not standing next to someone and waiting for them to die, but trying to bait survivors into engaging away from areas that they are strong.

I'm still very much an intermediate killer, but wow - has this been useful, especially against SWF teams who tend to be overly altruistic at times.

• pseudechis
    Options

It can be. Its just part of the game.

Like knowing when to drop a chase because the guy your on is in strong spot and will likely loop you for several gens. At no point does the looping guy stop and say we've looped this enough lets run toi the next thing for more fun. You as killer have to force them off the loop, just as a coordinated team can bait a killer away from a hook.

It's not the most effecient tactic but it has its place like everything else. Especially against overly alturistic teams.

Best game today was a three basement hook killer shack lockdown with trapper.