Is this considered camping?

Options

I kinda do this often where I hook a survivor and go for another survivor but sometimes I drop the chase because I know that someone was near the hook so I go back and look for them. Is this considered camping? I kinda felt guilty after the match lmao

Comments

• Han
    Han Member Posts: 196
    Options

Who the f cares? Just play how you want. Survivors play how they want all the time. So why shouldn't you?

• MrLimonka
    MrLimonka Member Posts: 545
    Options

If you know that there's a survivor near by, then it's fully ok. If you can't find anyone, though, you should go and patrol gens and chase other survivors

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited September 2020
    Options

I wouldn't call that camping. The first guy was obviously trying to bait you away and you saw on your BBQ someone else going around. By the time you spent chasing the first guy it was reasonable to assume that other guy that was going around would be arriving at the hook around then.

You made the smartest play.

Now if you hadn't chased that first guy at all, that would've been camping. To be fair though, if you see they're all coming for the hook and not on a gen, why would you leave him?

• XyoulamX
    XyoulamX Member Posts: 43
    Options

Alright thank you, I was just a little worried because I don’t want to get into the habit of camping the hook because it hurts me more than it helps in the long run.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,301
    Options

Its defending, not camping. Would a lion half kill a zebra and then just walk off and let it sneak away? If a survivor is caught approaching a hook, how can you just ignore them 🤣

• TreSen
    TreSen Member Posts: 186
    Options

Did you actually see someone run toward the hook? Then no, the survivor going for the unhook should have been less obvious.

Did you not see anyone go toward the hook and just went back because you were not sure what to do and worried about losing your kill? Then maybe yes or maybe no, depends on context.

Did you go back because you wanted to be a jerk and ruin the hooked player's fun? Then yes, absolutely.

Either way, play how you want.

• Goliath
    Goliath Member Posts: 28
    Options

Yes, that is camping. Not Face-camping, but camping nonetheless. Run Hex: Devour Hope to be rewarded for not camping.

Play how you want. If you want to camp, then camp. If you have fun camping then keep doing it. You just have to own that you are a camper.

You knew the answer to your question already.

• UMCorian
    UMCorian Member Posts: 531
    edited September 2020
    Options

Killer main here. Meh. I feel a lot of survivors call "camping" when you don't allow them to always unhook other survivors with impunity.

Let's break it down: Initially you hook and run almost half the map away, then you're coming back, but you're doing it because you're chasing a survivor (fair play), you then refuse to let him pull you to a dead part of the map - which he's clearly trying to bait you into chasing him to...

You gave ample opportunity for a safe unhook - not your fault 2 others were too busy doing other things to take advantage.

I would say you only start questionably camping at the 35 second mark, when you keep face checking the hook. But then you downed another survivor but didn't slug - you went for a 2nd hook, again, giving ample opportunity for the other 2 to secure the unhook on the first. They didn't.

I'd say what you did here was fine. Probably a bit more "grey area" than I tend to play, but if "camping" got called, I'd be like: "######### please. I'll show you camping if I see you next game."

• TheButcher6641
    TheButcher6641 Member Posts: 252
    Options

Camping is a tactic. It is fair and an allowed tactic. It might not feel that way for a hooked survivor because it will be make harder to escape for sure but it is 100% fair. Whatever kind of camping you do is alright. It is your tactic to winning the game. You might want to face-camp to be sure your prey does not escape. You might want to patrol the area to ensure that no survivors approach your prey. You might want to hide and ambush other survivors attempting to rescue your prey or you might want to abandon your prey entirely and look for fresh meat. Whichever works for you. I have camped in various different ways when necessary and in turn when I am camped I don't hold a grudge. People should accept camping and not be salty when camped. Think about it. If you were an obsessive and rage-induced murderer, would you leave your victim unattended while you walk away.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

Depends on who you ask. I've been called a camper because I hooked a survivor, ran a lap around the map without seeing anyone, extrapolated they were going for a rescue, and grabbed the unhooker at the last second.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077
    Options

I find facecamping to be a massively bad decision in nearly every match. The only time I'll do it is if someone has a tricked out lunchbox or a key, and even then I'm going to be patrolling nearby gens to a degree.

Generally what happens is that one person will try to bait me, I'll chase a bit, double back and if I don't find someone else trying to unhook, they've got 4 gens at 99% and that's the only kill I get.

However - teabag or flash spam me once, and you are never leaving that basement.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458
    Options

The kind of Players that call you a Camper and try to grief/shame you are the kind of people that are going to accuse you of it whether you do it or not. I wouldn't worry about hot piles of garbage or what they think. It is annoying and poor sportsmanship, but all you can do is report them in game when they cross the line with the behavior.

All that being said, normal people who understand this game and actually managed to grow up a bit, aren't going to grief you or say ANYTHING about it. Even if they think it, they will keep the comments to themselves and either give you a GG or say nothing at all. And even BETTER people understand the game completely and its tactics and don't care what you do. They will still give you a GG and just enjoy the game for the sake of the competition win or lose.

So, don't worry about these terms. You should camp, tunnel, slug, or Mori if the tactic is right in a given match. Most of these are special purpose tools and when used correctly are effective, but when used at the wrong time will hurt YOU, not the Survivors. You do you, and don't worry about idiotic terms like "toxic" either because it is entirely subjective and meaningless.

• UMCorian
    UMCorian Member Posts: 531
    Options

BTW: Quick addition I just realized -

You're playing Billy on an Indoor Map. I don't judge anything you needed to do under the circumstances. :)

• TransverseCaster
    TransverseCaster Member Posts: 543
    Options

Tight patrols are not camping.

• Perfect_Dank
    Perfect_Dank Member Posts: 51
    Options

Feel no shame for your camping habits. Its a perfectly legitimate strategy to end a chase early because another survivor might notice the beginning of the chase and is gonna assume you're gonna follow through on the other guy and leave an opening for the unhook. Theres something particularly exciting about the ol' "lol nope, switcheroo and subsequent, gotcha!"

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,806
    Options

It's a little bit campy in that you resist being led away from the hook, but it doesn't feel especially hostile to me.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,301
    Options

I got called a camper once for playing a basement game trapper on Father Campbell chapel. Every entrance was trapped and every time I tried to leave the area, another trap was triggered and I had to come back. The basement hooked player always heard my terror radius as I couldn't escape there daft altruism 😅

• Babyyy_Boyy
    Babyyy_Boyy Member Posts: 444
    Options

You literally dropped chase with the survivor to go back to the hook when there weren’t any scratchmarks from anyone else. Then you down someone that got caught GOING for the save, not someone that was ALREADY THERE. In the OP post you said you knew someone was there already. So if you apparently knew this, why leave the hook to chase someone just to drop it and go back? Not only that but once you downed the Claudette you left her slugged to make sure the Jane died. This is a big fat yes for me.

• JohnnyB1491
    JohnnyB1491 Member Posts: 10
    Options

Camping is part of the game, bit will usually lose you the game quickly. I love killers who camp, team can repair a lot of generators while the killer is camping a hook. Camping isn't smart in this particular game. Plus you lose your chance at blood points cause your not doing anything else but going in circles lmao