Supporting people who write "#########"

Options

I can't count the number of times where random strangers, without any provocation, have asked me to kill myself. Sometimes it's spelled out and sometimes it's in the form of the well-known acronym ' #########'. I usually report and move on. It doesn't really get under my skin.

But here's what does. Other players tend to side with the 'offender' (in lack of better words) and tell me to chill whenever I call them out. How descensitized are we really? This type of language should never be ok. But somehow, I'm the crazy person.

How do you react towards hateful speech in the pre/post-game chat?

Comments

• LethalPugy
    LethalPugy Member Posts: 493
    Options

I usually just laugh 🤠🤚

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676
    Options

I nicely wish them a good day and report them if it's warranted.

• Slashstreetboy
    Slashstreetboy Member Posts: 1,811
    Options

It completely depends on my mood tbh. If they slip just a little I´ll turn their ######### against them if I feel like doing so. Sometimes I either ignore it or do what @Kebek said.

It´s totally baffling though, I played League of Legends up to Diamond league many years ago but the "Kxs" BS was nowhere near as prevalent as it is among DBD players when they play survivor.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614
    Options

Well i mostly have my chat closed, so i respond with silence.

I don't really mind it either if i do see it, it's them either venting their frustrations, which i'm fine with them doing as it'll help them calm down, or they're trying to provoke you, in which case silence is also the best weapon.

• BigTimeGamer
    BigTimeGamer Member Posts: 1,752
    Options

i revel in people getting mad at me in a videogame

one of life's greatest pleasures

• Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409
    Options

@RizeAki Yeah I tend to see that as well and its just so sad, like your wishing someone dead is crossing a line I wouldn't or anyone else should do

• Xzan
    Xzan Member Posts: 907
    Options

I closed the endgamechat because of that.

As long as I have 0 Feedback for reports it will stay this way.

• RizeAki
    RizeAki Member Posts: 1,209
    Options

Exactly but somehow in their minds noed for example is crossing a line but not the death threat it’s so dumb I lose brain cells when those players speak and more when it’s defended

• Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409
    Options

There's a fine line between them being bad and being good, like if he uses noed then thats just the killer that is bad or someone just learning, but the fact that you died to noed which does give the indidual the right to be angry, however doesn't give them the right to threaten someone's life

Like I've been death threatened before in the game and I always tend to write them up, and as someone who has been death threatened in IRL I just can't stand it on no platform whatsoever

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

I have friend requests/messages turned off, I'm not wasting time with people upset over a game not going their way. The person that would send toxic messages can just stew in their anger instead of filling up my inbox.

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    SCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416
    Options

Depends on my mood. Sometimes I kill them with kindness. Sometimes I call em a #########. Sometimes I can't be bothered and leave it. Either way they get reported.

• kamisen
    kamisen Member Posts: 794
    Options

Everyone I ask says the same thing. Why is DBD so much worse than other games?

• kamisen
    Options

That is crazy! But I'm not surprised at all. At least there is some comfort in knowing that I'm not alone :)

• kamisen
    Options

I agree that silence probably is the best response. Don't feed the trolls and all that. But sometimes I just can't help myself.

• kamisen
    Options

I like the kindness part <3. Do you know if reporting works?

• Kjetrr
    Kjetrr Member Posts: 43
    Options

I usually report them and make a stupid comment. For the 'k...' stuff it's usually something like 'Nah, tried that a few years back, wasn't my thing.'

And if someone tells me that I suck, I usually answer with a 'yes' and ask if they want to see my price list. (I don't report them for a 'u suck' comment, though).

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    SCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416
    Options

<3, I honestly have no idea if reporting works. I can only hope they get some sort of slap on the wrist.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,927
    Options

The best thing is ignore, report and move on. In most cases any response gives them exactly what they're after and just ends up making you feel angered and deflated.

If you really feel you want to get back at them via chat, firstly do not reply instantly. Get up and take a break. They're on your time, not the other way round. When you get back, try to either make humour out of it to attempt to make them laugh, or non-judgementally Socrates them (basically just respond with questions that show no emotion and seek to solely dig into them, even making them question their feelings). That's advanced, but if pulled off right it tangles them right up!

However, really the safest way to deal with it is ignore, report and move on.

• CalamityJane
    CalamityJane Member Posts: 487
    Options

I start by recognising that the ######### people say after playing a video game isn't life advice I should take to heart, especially when they're mad they lost.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077
    edited September 2020
    Options

People that rant at me after they lose generally give me a good chuckle.

It's people that mock me after they win that gets under my skin.

• Jyn_Mojito
    Jyn_Mojito Member Posts: 515
    Options

So I'm not sure where all the toxicity comes from, because I have a few hundred hours in the game and have NEVER received a toxic message. Not one. I haven't broken past level 15 Killer, but I also tend to run NoEd because I'm a dumpster fire Killer that whiffs hits CONSTANTLY.

I guess what I'm getting at, is it more toxic the closer you are to red rank? Am I spared all that because I'm a Baby Killer?

• Slashstreetboy
    Slashstreetboy Member Posts: 1,811
    Options

In my experience it´s a little different. Most of the little shits that engage in such talk hover around green-purple-ish ranks as far as I can tell.

It´s a little more chill in reds in that regard, which is why I rush there every reset in the months I play.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    edited September 2020
    Options

I file an in game report and open a ticket with screenshots. Like we're supposed to do. And I never get any information as to whether or not they actually do a thing. Because that's just how the Devs roll. Hopefully now that they are doing more in terms of balance they will actually start setting up a proper report function.

Seriously, telling someone to kill themselves is not okay. Death threats are not okay. I don't care if it's "the internet," all that means is I can't potentially kiss them with my forehead because of anonymity.

• ShrekTheThird69
    ShrekTheThird69 Member Posts: 327
    Options

I give them the o'l gg2ez

• Mikeasaurus
    Mikeasaurus Member Posts: 2,327
    Options

I find it pretty disgusting that we live in a time that people think it's prefectly fine to send death threats, regardless of circimstance. I despise people who condemn people to death. There's no logical reason to do it. Especially when you lose on a game. Sure, we've all been there, we got super angry because we lost, but not once have I ever felt the need to tell someone to do that. Might be my age is a thing, since I'm early 30's now, and I didn't have online gaming till I was about 20, but it seems far too many kids in the current generation think it's fine to threaten everyone across the internet. Hell, I had a kid threaten me over Among Us yesterday because I beat him. He proceeded to death threat me, my family and began using sexual assault as insults. If this is the way people think they should act, I really do fear for the future of this planet.

• kamisen
    Options

This is an interesting observation. I haven't been below purple/red rank for quite some time so I can't really say. I do remember reacting to the amount of toxicity in the game when I was new. Either way, I hope your toxicity-free streak continues :-)

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

Report, ignore, move on.