A rework for Object of Obsession to make it less awful.

Options
Bard
Bard Member Posts: 657
edited October 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions

When you enter the killer's terror radius, see their aura for 1/2/3 seconds.

When you exit the killer's terror radius, the killer sees your aura for 3 seconds and the perk goes on a 10 second cooldown.

Post edited by Gay Myers (Luzi) on

Comments

• TATAHARAMBE
    TATAHARAMBE Member Posts: 120
    Options

useless

• Bard
    Options

Yes, because clearly if it's less broken than Decisive, Dead Hard, or live Object, the perk has no value.

• xenofon13
    xenofon13 Member Posts: 1,241
    Options

0,5, 1, 1,5. make it more useless.

I mean if they did that, better delete the perk. I don't mind honestly because i never use the perk and very rarely going against as killer.

• Bard
    Options

Sure, because reliably knowing where the killer is coming from is never a bad thing, and this has absolutely zero synergy with Laurie's other perks.

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699
    Options
  • Yung_Slug
    Yung_Slug Member Posts: 2,238
    Options

Good concept, but the numbers could be higher. Even 15 seconds (possibly more) wouldn't be that game-breaking, and you could bring the killer's side to 5 seconds (I wouldn't go higher than 5 for that one though).

• arcnkd
    arcnkd Member Posts: 446
    Options

OoO is clearly designed for SWF friends groups. One runs in, relays killer information to the other Survivors to coordinate around it.

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699
    Options

To further change it i think that it should work like blood pact. Make it so that only the obsession has the effect and is deactivated when they are not. That way multiple people can't use it and it be overpowered

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559
    edited October 2020
    Options

I mean, OoO could just make the killer faster when it activates. eg. 7% (Edit: this is in spoiler text because people focused on it too much, and, yes, I am aware of the significant downfalls of this option).

Alternatively, OoO could make the survivor slower (-5%)

A third option could be to decrease all action speeds (-9%) when OoO is active (like an inverse Spine Chill).

Or, a combination of all of these is possible.

Post edited by Kind_Lemon on
  • Judicar
    Judicar Member Posts: 36
    Options

Hah, no.

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,895
    Options

There is a difference in nerfing a perk, and making it absolutely useless. Babysitter is already considered quite useless and that is 4 seconds.

I personally feel like Object of Obsession is relatively okay as it is, it just needs more punishment for the survivor. For example: once the object is hit, give him a broken status that will not go away untill he is hooked, then also hinder the Object after being hit for 3 seconds to reduce the movement speed bonus they get from getting hit and be oblivious and blinded for 20 seconds after being hit.

The biggest issue with OoO is that survivors running it can rely on simple vanilla mechanics like damage boosting and healing that make it so hard to deal with. Giving OoO a punishment that truly reflects the bonus it gives would go a long way. But only a 3 second aura read? as if survivors already dont have enough terrible aura reading perks.

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,895
    Options

Thats going too far tho, hinderance is already much stronger than people realize and its only 3% for 30 seconds. Having a permanent 5% debuff is insane. Same for having a killer with a permanent 7% speedbuff(especially since it would negatively apply to all survivors, rather than just the user).

Hope, for example, is a 7% buff in speed for survivors, and can extend the average chase by 6 seconds against a 115 killer, and by up to 8 seconds for a 110 killer, and that only applies for 2 minutes after the final generator is popped. Imagine a 5% debuff for the entire match just for running 1 perk, its just too much. You might aswell delete the perk. OoO needs a debuff where it matters: after being hit. The whole skit of OoO is showing the killer where you are and then trying your best to avoid the killer. So being hit means you didnt properly avoid the killer, and thus you would recieve a debuff. Much more fair, right?

• TATAHARAMBE
    TATAHARAMBE Member Posts: 120
    Options

of course. i'm not gonna use slippery meat/solidarity/flip-flop/boil over/your perk instead of dead hard, deliverance, iron will, adrenaline, head on, etc.

• Slashstreetboy
    Slashstreetboy Member Posts: 1,811
    Options

It´s a neat idea. I appreciate everything that makes Object less of a completely OP busted annoyance.

In my own post I suggested a mechanic to make Object more dangerous the more it is used. After x seconds of use, the user will be exposed until downed. After y seconds, the user can be moried.

What you think about that?

• Kind_Lemon
    Options

So, I stated this was the assumption that everyone knew all the effects are only active when OoO is active (the trigger condition being looking at the killer outside of terror radius). A survivor could theoretically never be affected by the hindered status effect if he/she only looked at the killer when on gens and when in chase (i.e. inside the terror radius or in a place where movement speed doesn't matter).

I guess I should have made that more clear.

And I would argue that yes, a large amount of skill comes into play when showing yourself to the killer and avoiding being downed, but for stealthier users, the major aspect that takes skill is learning how to know when to safely look at a killer and when not to.

• Kind_Lemon
    Options

As I said to the other person who responded to my comment, I thought that it was evident that like Spine Chill, all effects suggested are only present when OoO is active.

Why is my suggestion therefore a bad thing? The major issues with OoO come as a result of the survivor using it getting a big head start when the killer starts to come after him/her. The changes aim to either minimize that or make using OoO in situations that would be useful to have a great head start (i.e. working on generators across the map) less useful.

• Bard
    Options

Because a survivor perk that gives the killer movement speed (and a hefty boost too, 7%) would be on par with a perk that forces No Mither onto your teammates.

A survivor perk that not only applies a buff to the killer, but does so by buffing the single most important stat in the game is absurd.

Object of Obsession should be a perk that gives you valuable information at the cost of vulnerability. I don't want to be matched with a sandbagging ######### who gives the killer a .28 m/s bonus (almost 1.5x the difference between Huntress and Trapper)

• Kind_Lemon
    Options

Ah, yeah, I thought the same thing about the first suggestion of mine (it's the most abuseable), but the post was made with the full intention of all three options being equal in brainstorming, and order from top to bottom had no influence on which was most important / most feasible. I'm personally a fan of the third choice (but wouldn't mind the second in substitution or addition).

Since your comment quoted my whole post, I assumed that that was your attitude toward everything I said. It appears that was not the case.

• Bard
    Options

I don't know how to quote just a part of a post.

Idea 1 is just a bad design.

Idea 2 doesn't really do much, since OoO doesn't really work in chase and outside of chase they're most likely to sit still on a gen.

Idea 3 isn't an awful idea, but it's a downside that can be bypassed easily enough that it doesn't fix anything (just use OoO a second at a time to keep tabs on the killer).

"All at once" is right out.

• Kind_Lemon
    Options

"Idea 2 doesn't really do much, since OoO doesn't really work in chase and outside of chase they're most likely to sit still on a gen.

Idea 3 isn't an awful idea, but it's a downside that can be bypassed easily enough that it doesn't fix anything (just use OoO a second at a time to keep tabs on the killer)."

Yeah, they were just ideas. There's still some work to be done, but there's not much reason for them not to be a thing except that they would do not enough.

And by combination, I was mostly talking about the second and third in combo (all three wouldn't do much good and would probably make the game worse)

• CharlieChatBox
    CharlieChatBox Member Posts: 258
    Options

@Bard I really should have dug for your post before making my own thread. Sorry. However, the change I suggested in my thread was:

OoO rework: As the Killer's Obsession, you and the Killer will see each other's Auras for 4 seconds at the beginning of the trial. Whenever the Killer begins to chase you, both yours and the Killer's Aura will be revealed to non-obsession Survivors for 4 seconds whenever you enter chase. Whenever you stun the Killer, all Survivors see their Aura for 3/4/5 seconds. If you are not the Obsession, you will see the Obsession's Aura whenever they are in chase. Whenever you heal or unhook the Obsession, you become the Obsession. Drastically Increases the odds of being the Obsession. The Killer can only be obsessed with one Survivor at a time.

While I can see the use of yours, it is... a bit underwhelming, and really does not need the punishment. Cooldown, yes, as without it would allow a survivor to bob and weave on the fringes of the terror radius, imitating the current version. However, having it based on the terror radius leaves the Survivor with very little control of their own perk. Sorry, not a bad idea, but I don't think it passes muster.