Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Is it ok to openly DC in front of an audience?

Leachy_Jr
Leachy_Jr Member Posts: 2,196

Title.

I've seen a few content creators openly DC (or openly admitting to DC) in front of an audience, however, I haven't seen anyone say to their audience directly to start DCing though.

I know talking about content creators is a really touchy subject but this is just something that seems so irregular to me. It just seems a really bad thing to do even if you aren't promoting it because people will do what content creators do.

(obv don't name and shame k thanks)

Comments

• Xbob42
    Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,117

To this day outside of I think 2 dropped internet DCs, I have never disconnected from a single match in DBD.

But getting Haddonfield offerings two times in a row while playing Blight and the first thing I see is OoO... That got me pretty close. I didn't do it because I don't want to start doing it for every little thing that doesn't go my way, but at some point I can see why so many do when there's no penalty. But don't do it at the start of the match on the first M1. I've seen plenty of survivors get hooked first and escape just fine. I know it feels like "I'm found the first time EVERY SINGLE MATCH" when you're playing solo queue sometimes, but that doesn't mean much by the end of the game.

• MusicNerd_TC
    MusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099

I don't get how blight on Haddonfield could be that bad, since he counters the "hold w tech", which is why most players have that map.

• Xbob42
    Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,117

The buildings and, surprisingly, the extremely long fences can be an issue. If someone's out in the middle of the street, they're dead easy. Ugh, and all the damned bushes that go on too long. The long fences can be easy hits if the survivor goes in and you're charging, but so many have a damn window or a way through at just the right length in many chases to somehow make it even more annoying than on a basic M1 killer.

That said, it's not like a tremendously difficult map, it's just full of a lot of really annoying little things, and if the survivors are good and know how to deal with Blight, it's gonna be a real slog, let alone how easy it is to lose Blight over waist-high walls.

I'm generally less irritated to go to Lery's as Blight, and some of the entryways in that place basically make your power work double-time in the survivor's favor.

• GoodLookinCookin
    GoodLookinCookin Member Posts: 341

Yeah there is nothing wrong with it, whether is was for comedic effect or just because it was a boring game there is nothing wrong with it.

To DC is in the choice of the streamer, it could look stupid on your end or funny/understandable.

• Ecstasy
    Ecstasy Member Posts: 426

I think the more interesting question than general acceptability is the official response: would/do they actually punish people who even flagrantly DC in front of their audience?

If not, well, I think that answers the other question more more honestly than any theoretical posturing.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

It depends. Their job is literally to provide content, so being stuck in a farming match or similar situation?

• SloppyKnockout
    SloppyKnockout Member Posts: 1,505
    edited October 2020

It's never "okay" per say.

That being said, there are situations where I don't blame people. Like, you spawn in on Hawkins. It's Freddy with Corrupt, Undying, Ruin and Thana...with dual slowdown addons.

For me? That's a hard pass. I'll tank the 5 minute penalty. Knowing completely that it's punishable.

DBD is and always has been carried by streamers. BHVR isn't going to bite the hand that quite literally feeds them.

• Ecstasy
    Ecstasy Member Posts: 426

Thing about streamers is there ain't no union and there's always more of them trying to make it big.

Taking down a handful of big'uns only sends a message to the other ones to straighten up, while more compliant ones will rise to take place of the others and eventually amass the same following or bigger.

It's a symbiotic relationship where most all are just as reliant on DBD to figuratively feed them too. I don't watch any live streams, but I know some of the names thanks to other video content they've put out on the youtubes that I've tried to learn from and even subscribe to a few. But I sure don't give a ######### about those people beyond the content they produce that's already relevant to me. I imagine that's majorly true for most of the DBD players who follow DBD streamers too.

They matter collectively. Individually, they're as worthless as the rest of us plebs.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

While i do agree that streamers DCing are bassicly giving their audience the green light to do it too

I don't think streamers shouldn't be punished more because of a DC then other people.

The DC penalty just can't return soon enough. That time penalty was perfect for letting DCers cool down before jumping in another game

• SloppyKnockout
    SloppyKnockout Member Posts: 1,505

The DC penalty shouldn't exist. The game isn't not even close to stable or balanced enough to justify one. The fact that not only does it exist, but it exists and multiples to hours and hours is nonsense. It should never surpass 15 minutes.

• Slashstreetboy
    Slashstreetboy Member Posts: 1,811

I have a feeling this post will bring me a couple jail buddies.

• lotusghoul
    lotusghoul Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2020

I agree with this. I didn't even realize the DC penalties are gone at the moment but it would explain why I've been seeing more people DCing over the smallest things again. DC penalties overall are a very good thing, hope they bring it back soon.

• Elena
    Elena Member Posts: 2,187

A certain popular streamer I know has DCed before, only because a killer hit them down. I'm not going to say who they are obviously, but it annoyed me to watch and I immediately left the stream.

• Elena
    edited October 2020

I was in a bad mood that day lol so it may have just contributed to it

Edit: also this person wouldn't stop bitching about moris, so I just left

• 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470
    edited October 2020

If I'd say "ok" one more time, they would ban me. :c

• OllieHellhunter
    OllieHellhunter Member Posts: 703

I mean you could look from the other perspective, did it really touch the streamer that emotionally that the got downed?

• Elena

I've also seen another streamer get that emotional because the killer found him and he failed to find a totem in time lmfao

• EntitledMyersMain
    EntitledMyersMain Member Posts: 832
    edited October 2020

Ok if they're solo and have died or obviously if it's an emergency or the game crashes

otherwise no.

• Elena

lol imagine looping and then dying in real life. that must suck bad

• Freki
    Freki Member Posts: 1,903

you can report them, and then submit a ticket and link it to their VOD so they can see that this person is doing it consistently. It is only ok to use the out of match functionality if you are stuck in the geometry or the game can't end or an emergency comes up. no mater what people say.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

They shouldnt unless the game bugs, there is an insane amount of lag, there is a cheater in the game (friendly or foe) or an external cause like feeling sick or getting an unexpected visit etc.

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246

Honestly if it is because of a bug (gamebreaking one) or an emergency irl i say it is okay. Anything else no and I do not care for the rest of excuses and justifactions made for it. Yes there can be lots of frustration in this game but this is also the case in other games, when you dc because of that, you shouldn't be able to play any further for a set amount of time which increases with each dc.

• Nobsyde
    Nobsyde Member Posts: 1,288

CC issue aside, the problem here is not the DC, the problem is the absence of penalties for a DC.

Even raging can be a valid reason to DC, but there need to be a penalty for the safeguard of others and yourself: if you rage you need a time to cool off, otherwise your mental status will just worsen and worsen, and the likelihood you'll DC the next game as well will become even higher.

Also I'm not saying that "DC due to raging is a valid reason" lightly, at all. But take for example the topic of the guy that spoke with his therapist about how DbD negatively influence his well being - you might argue that they shouldn't play in the first place, but what if everything was fine for them, but then something triggered a very negative response in them? Should they just endure the pain for the sake of the others? Obviously not - there's no game in real life where you have to play, but certainly if you decide to quit there will be consequences (disqualification, fines, bans...).

Until DC penalties are back, DC will grow and grow, to even bigger numbers than they were before, so... let's just hope penalties will be back :).

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

I only see streamers DC if they get a crappy map (any of the garbage indoors maps) as killer. Entirely justified in my mind. Ifg I decide to break from the boring meta and play someone like Trapper and you give me Hawkins and then Lerys one after another I don't care how the survivors feel or if there are BP offerings up. I'm out of there.

• jerakal
    jerakal Member Posts: 246

As long as it's for the memes and not to promote toxic/exploitative behaviors, it's all good.

• NaturalHurdle70
    NaturalHurdle70 Member Posts: 41

I agree the should go away with a action all together- It cost me plenty of times when 2 quit and you 2 are left on the map. The 100 💯 will lose. Unless you get decent killers!

• Eorpwald
    Eorpwald Member Posts: 46

If there's a bug. Someone is hacking or the game is unplayable laggy.

• Kellie
    Kellie Member Posts: 1,328

At this point who cares?

• DaFireSquirtle
    DaFireSquirtle Member Posts: 188

Totally agree. No one should do it full stop. It's one of worst contributors to toxicity in the community and if you do dc you don't deserve to complain about toxicity when you yourself are part of the problem. Even if content do it but don't promote it, audiences will still copy their favourite hip and trendy content creator to be "cool" like them yknow.

• DaFireSquirtle
    DaFireSquirtle Member Posts: 188

Perfectly put my friend. The game can feel deeply frustrating sometimes, no matter whose to blame it falls upon players to deal with it in a match in a way that is self conscious of their other players. Shame more people can't be like you.

• Deckergirl
    Deckergirl Member Posts: 39

In resident evil resistance

You get a DC Penalty of 50% less points until you finish 1 quick match.

Literally wasn't my fault I fell asleep waiting on the queue.

Y'all already know world of warcraft will keep you out of a dungeon or raid for 15 minutes if you leave before killing a boss.

Trove will make you miss a fight if your slow to the boss room (lol)

In sea of thiefs you lose EVERYTHING if you quit to welfare warriors.

SOT has everything backwards. Private servers dont let you progress. You can't be a pirate in a pirate simulator game.

Finally more recently

Final fantasy crystal chronicles remastered

You don't keep ANYTHING unless you finish the dungeon. Tough.

(Online play only)

• hillbillyclaudmain69
    hillbillyclaudmain69 Member Posts: 1,528

Exactly. Although things can be annoying, you screw over your team by dcing. If you queue up for a match, stay in it.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

Short answer, no.

• judge_fist
    judge_fist Member Posts: 114

No one DCs when a killers doing bad. That's what bothers me. I just eat it when I have a bad match and eagerly await the next one hopeing it will be a better match.

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201

Killing themselves early is something I see more than anything making it really hard on the rest of the team and honestly I just unsubscribe to them after they continue to show lack of willingness to promote healthy gameplay.

• UnbeatableAsh
    UnbeatableAsh Member Posts: 101

DCs atm are making the game borderline unplayable. They kill matches outright.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713
    edited October 2020

DC penalties can't come back fast enough. There were WAY less disconnects when the automated system was up.

And no, ragequitting is in the list of official actions that are considered Unsportsmanlike Conduct that can result in a temporary ban. That's the whole reason they implemented automated bans in the first place. It's still a bannable offense, it's just not being enforced at the moment because they don't have a way to report it. (Hypothetically they could have people send in ingame tickets but I'm guessing they got swamped with them before the automated system was in place so they don't accept them that way now. But who knows?)

• Worm621
    Worm621 Member Posts: 3

I report every DC that I know isn’t for a. Glitch. Frequent example: hunting someone quickly as a killer and soon I hook them they DC. I only play DBD as a killer, have for years. It got so bad from all the whiners that I had to switch my PS account to friends only could send me messages. I had soooo many mad players sore from them losing.

• soulflare017
    soulflare017 Member Posts: 13

I dont consider it okay to DC. Only times I DC is if the power goes out or my Wi-Fi does. I feel like it can hurt the other survivors especially if it happens early in a match.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,935

Please do not report DC's - we have our own systems for dealing with them, it just wastes the time for the support staff who have to read through the reports.

In answer to the question, unless there's actual emergencies irl or you are bugged in game, something along those lines. Those are the only times it's acceptable to DC - that's why we class it as Unsportsmanlike Behaviour when people DC.

In view of the topic and the fact that we do not promote DC'ing (or Unsportsmanlike Behaviour in general) on this forum, I will close this thread. As the answer has been given.

This discussion has been closed.