Ok be honest, how often do you really get camped or tunneled ?

Options
Entity_Lich94
Entity_Lich94 Member Posts: 320
edited December 2023 in General Discussions

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I play survivor just as much as killer but I rarely ever see a killer actually properly do either of these things. Like maybe once or twice a month I'll come across one.

I know there's quite a few people on here that claim they get it constantly and say it's the biggest problem with the game right now and I honestly wonder if it is really that bad for some people.

Tbf some people's definition of what camping and tunnelling is can be very broad so I do take these claims with a grain of salt

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• noctis129
    noctis129 Member Posts: 967
    Options

I get a camper like 1 out of 20 games. I played all day today, more than 20 games, and came across 1 camper. Didn't get tunneled. Unless u want to count a no BT unsafe unhook.

As soon as I was unhooked I went down and got rehooked. I wouldn't count it tunnel though.

That 1 camper only camped me though. He didn't camp all game until 1 gen left and I ran right into him at midwich. He camped me until I died. First hook death.

Met 1 proxy camper but he eventually left and I got safely unhooked.

That was it though. Yet again I met many toxic survivors today but no toxic killer. I only played survivor today.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,096
    Options

I play in red/purple ranks, it varies for how often I am camped/tunneled. I'd say rift challenges definitely increase the tunneling, camping, and slugging. If I'm the obsession and there's a "kill the obsession" or "hook obsession" challenge my odds definitely increase to be tunneled/camped. I've noticed weekends I'm more likely to be camped/tunneled than during the week.

For red/purple ranks it's pretty shocking the amount of survivors that don't just gen rush to counter camping. I've been camped by plenty of rank 1/2 killers that end up with 3/4k because my teammates decide to hang out crouched by hook rather than work on gens. 🤦‍♀️

• Dhurl421
    Dhurl421 Member Posts: 154
    Options

Exclusively Solo Survivor, I only see camping when it comes to protecting a kill in the endgame, which is the strategy and makes sense. Haven't seen any issues like face camping in early game, or at all really. Maybe I'm lucky.

Not often I get "tunnelled", but when I do it's typically by a good killer who has properly identified me as the weakest looper (which helps you work on looping skills).

Tunneling isn't a problem if you can loop, and a true camper is a rare occurence mostly caused by: unsafe unhooks by dummies, mistaken pathing after an unhook, or least of all by a salty killer that couldn't catch you for multiple gens (which is WAY less prevalent than salty survivors).

• SupaSlay3r20
    SupaSlay3r20 Member Posts: 139
    Options

It's probably due to me hardly playing survivor, but when I do I generally see the killer with kindred untill the person on hook dies, in most of my games.

• pepperoninipples
    pepperoninipples Member Posts: 90
    Options

I get tunneled or camped atleast 1/2 my survivor matches. Mainly due to deserving it lol. Them squat thrusts always call my name.

• adirgeforthedead
    adirgeforthedead Member Posts: 424
    Options

I'd say this is my experience as well. It's not something that happens to me in a vast majority of cases, but it's not really rare either.

• adsads123123123123
    adsads123123123123 Member Posts: 911
    edited October 2020
    Options

As a killer, I don't really tunnel survivors but I have a tendency to chase bad survivors. For example, if I am in a part of a map I don't really want to chase, I won't chase a good survivor but if it's a bad survivor I know I can down in 20 seconds max, I am very likely to chase them. These survivors tend to get chased more often and die fast, which gives the illusion of tunnelling but really I am just chasing them because they are easy targets. As for camping, I rarely do it. When I camp, it's because it's the end game and there's no reason to leave the hook or a survivor is 10-15 seconds from reaching the next hook stage.

Tldr: you get tunneled because you are bad at looping

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255
    Options

I'm pretty hard to tunnel out of the game and it's asking to get ran for 5 gens. That is not a good idea.

That said the last time someone really committed to it was a huntress 3 days ago. It was the start of the game and she came to check my gen so naturally I hit her with a Head On stun and yeeted myself out of the window.

She lost the game but she got meh.

• BubbaMain64
    BubbaMain64 Member Posts: 546
    Options

Only when there's not an obsession in the match is when tunneling or camping becomes a problem.

• MrPeterPFL
    MrPeterPFL Member Posts: 636
    Options

All the time lool, most of the time it’s my random teammates that get tunnelled and face camped. I’m really good with loops and chases, by the time the killer does down me, most of the gens will be done, usually the killer gives up and face camp me or keep me slugged.

Which is ashame because I have a lot of respect for Killers as I started as Killer, I know their pain. I don’t t-bag or flash light click, even with that hook bug recently I would struggle out and stand still so they can down me again and hook me. But yet Killers don’t respect me at all.

• spirit72
    spirit72 Member Posts: 227
    Options

+1 on the Survivor Toxicity claim.

Just some background since I'm new to the forums; I've been playing DBD for going on three years now(PS4). I guess I'm a Survivor Main...nearly all Survivors at 50, several at P3 level 50. All but 3-4 Killers at 50, but have never bothered to grind out Prestige with Killers. Have been to red ranks as both Survivor and Killer several times; these days I tend to hover around the purple ranks.

As a Survivor, I'm not toxic, at least not IMO. I don't spam flashlights, I don't exploit bad loop design, I don't sell out fellow Survivors to the Killer(pointing at occupied lockers, intentionally dumping the Killer on another Survivor)I don't body block hooks, etc. I may point once or twice at the Killer at a gate before exiting, which in my view is more akin to spiking the football after a touchdown than being toxic. All told, I do find myself being camped or tunneled about 30% of the time. It seems that in most cases either the Killer is not good enough to play any other way, or simply just can't learn to do so. It happens. What are ya gonna do? If I feel that a Killer has been unsportsmanlike or exploitative, I flag them as such at the end of the match, for whatever that is worth, and move on.

As a Killer, I also don't see myself as toxic. In general, I hook and leave unless I'm pretty sure there's a Survivor waiting near the hook(I'm sure I just heard a locker close!, etc). If I catch a save, I try to go for the Survivor making the save rather than the one being saved, because of Borrowed Time, Decisive Strike and other such boondoggles. That said, if a particular Survivor is being overly toxic or disruptive in my estimation(Flashlight Spamming, Locker/Pallet/Window exploitation, loop exploitation, selling out teammates, etc), I WILL(not might...WILL)turn my attention solely to them, and they will have gained my attention until they are sacked....even at the expense of the game on my part.

• Name_Unavailable
    Name_Unavailable Member Posts: 519
    Options

Thank to DS is much more less, But when i play a game with no obsession the chance is higher. Same when Ds was bugged weeks ago with some killers they were tunneling sadly.

Thats why DS is healthy perk.

• Sirris
    Sirris Member Posts: 43
    Options

Camping not so much, although I find myself tunneled a lot.

Actually, I just really suck at chases

• adsads123123123123
    adsads123123123123 Member Posts: 911
    Options

Funny how I do the opposite and don't chase toxic survivors. Survivors who are toxic or even ones that run OoO want you to chase them. They will go out of their way to stay close to you and harass you. This means they are wasting time by not doing gens. I don't really care and let them waste their time while I win the game.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917
    edited October 2020
    Options

Given that most people can't even agree upon what tunneling/camping even are I'd say most of their claims tend to be...Less then reliable.

Edit: I still see people claim killers face camp when they were getting moried by a 5 stack devour hope...

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568
    Options

I'm a killer and I don't tunnel but survivors sometimes blame me tunneling for some reason. Tunneling is when you chase and hook one guy until he dies ignoring everyone else. I always chase someone else after hooking and I always get 4 stacks of bbq before someone is dead.

I always switch targets if I see someone repair a gen or selfcaring in my range. If this was a guy who was recently unhooked it doesn't mean I tunnel him. Should I ignore his careless just becase he was on hook 30 seconds ago?

Only time I may tunnel on purpose is when unhooked guy jump into a locker with ds. He think he is smart but he is saving my time chasing him and picking him up. I consider this act as he asking to be tunneled. So I eat his ds and if he is still nearby I give him attention he wants. It is actually not frequent strategy from survivors these days. Looks like they learning.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135
    Options

Roughly 1 out of 5 of my games, someone is tunneled (not necessarily me).

Roughly 1 out of 15 of my games, the Killer face-camps (or proxy camps within 15m).

Not great, not terrible.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842
    Options

It's more of an issue in the lower ranks. Tunnelling occurs more than camping in the higher ranks, and especially when there is no Obsession.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

Honestly, almost never. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe Kate's get less camper/tuneller killers. Or maybe it's because I don't expect killers to give me free passes. Who knows.

I have a very strict definition of both: Camping is when you stay at or within easy distance of the hook despite literally anything and everything else, and Tunneling is when you go after a survivor despite, once again, anything and everything else. Both are, in fact, highly inefficient and pretty miserable. Most of the time, if I get hooked twice it was because of a farming/stealthing absolute idiot of a teammate and I know exactly where the blame lies.

• Ryan489x
    Ryan489x Member Posts: 1,447
    Options

How often do I get Camped or tunneled???? at least every other game, either I ditch a generator and get tunneled or I just come off the hook and get tunneled. or they're playing as leather face or hillbilly and I have to deal with that damn one hit chainsaw. and as a killer I don't like when I hook someone and I see about 2 other people just waiting for me to walk away for then unhook who get mad at me for not leaving when I know they're right there.

• Ryan489x
    Ryan489x Member Posts: 1,447
    Options

I don't count EGC plays as camping the gates are open at that point. If they want someone off the hook that badly they deserve to be taken down too.

• OniKobayashi
    OniKobayashi Member Posts: 274
    Options

Do you mean literally or assumed?

Because people around here need to learn the ######### difference.

• weakconstruct
    weakconstruct Member Posts: 1
    Options

I don't really count, or experience, tunneling as a bad thing when playing Dead by Daylight too often, so I dont have anything to say on that matter.

However, I do play SWF and we normally try to play as fairly as possible, only acting out or being toxic, in response to a toxic killer. About 1 out of every 8 games am I or another person I play with face camped. It happens too much with little repercussions. It doesn't ruin the game for me but its annoying how often we get camping killers. Our rank range has me at around a 15, my friends are 8s, and sometimes we play with anywhere from a 16 to a 7. Its hard out here as a novice.

• ezekieltolask
    ezekieltolask Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2020
    Options

First, I'm sorry for the lack of fluency in the language.

I never "camp", but every 15 matches a killer "camp" me, for me this is the biggest game mechanic problem ever in my opinion, people want to win so much that they don't see how it affects everyone negatively, I I don't think "tunnelin" is a problem, it is just a way of strategy, if a survivor has a key you certainly should not leave it last, then for me the problems are "camping" ... AND LOOPING, DO NOT DO THIS .

• HoneyBadger
    HoneyBadger Member Posts: 18
    Options

Alot with basement leatherface back then. Now barely maybe because I use ds??

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536
    Options

Proxy camp goes hand in hand with tunneling. The killer won’t stray too far from their prey.

It’s probably most games it happens it feels like, whoever gets caught first gets tunneled. It tends to vary by killer though.

For example if it’s a Myers or Plague you might be ok. If it’s a Spirit, Freddy, or stealth killer then it’s almost 100% confirmed that player is getting tunneled hard.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,514
    Options

Camping is pretty rare and since Bubba rework even rarer.

tunneling on the other hand -as in killer abandons a chase just to get to the freshly unhooked- happens often, and is only softened when there is an obsession and the killer fears DS, but also not always. It happens every second game at least, and I am not talking about EGC or 1 gen left. And it’s not always me (only when I play certain survs i notice some killers are really focusing me)

killers really are not better than survivors btw, often they need to bob their heads, walk circles or hit you on hook after tunneling - similar to teabags or clickyclicky survs. There is not one side that is worse than the other, both sides have those kind of players. Killers are not the saints here.

• soulflare017
    soulflare017 Member Posts: 13
    Options

I see it every now and then. I could play about 20 survivor matches and I might see a killer face camp about 2 maybe three of them at most. Mind you this is about rank 10 to 12. I didnt really see it anymore at rank 20 down to that.

• rottmeister
    rottmeister Member Posts: 316
    Options

When there's an obsession:

- Camped: 2/10 games*

- Tunnelled: 3/10 games

When there's no obsession:

- Camped: 4/10 games*

- Tunnelled: 8/10 games

* not counting endgame camping.

These "statistics" are not 100% accurate as I don't record what happens every match.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

A few times per week. I'd say on a bad week I get camped and/or tunneled about once per day and on a good week I get camped and/or tunneled maybe 2-3 times the whole week.

• Momentosis
    Momentosis Member Posts: 824
    Options

Rarely.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,213
    Options

I kept statistics for 222 games as solo survivor.

Out of that games, 64 games included camping, and 34 tunneling, 22 of the tunneling games are part of the 64 camping games, because the killer did both. But this is actually old data, it was after the release of the deathslinger. I didnt keep new stats, so it might have changed. At least it feels like camping is happening less since the undying/ruin meta.

• Slashstreetboy
    Slashstreetboy Member Posts: 1,811
    Options

I feel bad for Survivors that fall victim to tunneling and camping - depending how they define these things and the circumstances around it. It seems there´s a huge number of players that consider about every single Killer action to be camping/tunneling.

Back to topic: I share your experience to a degree. It does happen, but in my experience far less than the forums make it look to be. Idk, about 1/10 games? Not sure, it really is rather rare for me.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,533
    Options

Honestly..... like 1-5 matches are either camped or tunneled... hardcore like

Other matches are either my own mistakes or teammates leaving me to be bled dry

The rest are not as bad in the camping/tunneling way for me but my teammates getting that

• Dennis_van_eijk
    Dennis_van_eijk Member Posts: 1,704
    Options

I too get it sometimes, at least 2 or 3 games a night tbh.

And by tunneling I mean really hard tunneling, like a couple of minutes.

For example a very nice one last week vs legion.

They found me and chased me for 3.5 minutes straight before he finally gave up.

Unfortunately I didn't get really good teammates otherwise it would have been over for them.

Getting camped only on rare occasions, but tbh i don't care that much as long as my team do the gens then.

Camping usually happens after very long chases and they realise most of the gens are done by than.

• C_Frank
    C_Frank Member Posts: 179
    Options

Camping and tunnel is not the real problem for a survivivor. The problems in solo Q is yours team mates. Survivivor are very bad. Yesterday i play 4 game with a friend. 1 game survivivor is hooked and dc.

2 game meg head only searching for chest. She dont touch a gen. When 3 gen left she et hooked and suicide.

3 game a meg head follow the killer and get frey hit. She suicide in second hook

4 game an ash that lasted 5 seconds in pursuit. and the killer always found him in meaningless places without being making objectives.

In the 1 and 3 only 1 gen left and only play 3 survivivor. Game 2 and 4 i escape mi friend not.

Killer and tunel or camping are not the problem. 90% of games we lose because a teammate is dc suicide or doing nothing.

• nursewannabe
    nursewannabe Member Posts: 1,075
    Options

Without counting EGC where it's definitely justifiable, it still happens frequently enough

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789
    edited October 2020
    Options

2/3 games out of 10? And I'm rank 1 both roles. Some sessions I won't get tunneled, other sessions I get tunneled off the hook 5 games in a row which forces me to run DS. (A perk I don't like to use. In fact, a lot of my games, there is often no obsession) I don't count the games where it's EGC and I'm first hooked, I understand why a killer would do that there.

That said, almost every spirit, stealth killer, and hag I come across incessantly hard camps and tunnels.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803
    Options

Often enough that Kindred and DS never leave my build. The last time I played without DS there was no Obsession and the killer didn’t hesitate to tunnel one guy out of the match as fast as possible.

I play red rank and see it quite a lot.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677
    Options

I rarely get camped. But I get tunneled very consistently. High rank killers don't tunnel very much but the lower ranks definitely do. I'm red rank constantly playing against green and gold rank killers sooooo.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,613
    Options

Using the game's 5 rarities, i wouldn't put camping & tunneling on Common.

But Uncommon sounds about right, it's not Rare either.

This discussion has been closed.