Pro Tip: Only buy the Rift once you reach Level 70

Options
Godot
Godot Member Posts: 806

What I did this Tome is I played constantly until I finished all challenges in a level, waited for the next level to come out, repeated this process up until I got to level 69, all while I haven't even completed ALL of the Level 4 challenges (I still have one left, to this day). Then, once I reached Level 70 through simply playing, I bought Auric Cells and bought the Rift, because I had reached it's max level.

The Rift doesn't give a progress boost if you buy the Rift pass beforehand, kind of like other Battle Passes do in other games. You progress regularly (which is kinda sad, but it's true and it's also somewhat better). Buying the pass beforehand means you're going to have to force yourself to play, which is seriously sad.

Trust me, it's better this way, rather than to sulk about not being able to reach Level 70 before the Rift ended.

Comments

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,806
    Options

I agree. I think it's very fair of the devs to make it so you don't have to buy the pass until you know for sure whether you got to level 70, and so that you get your money back as store credit once you do reach level 70. Theoretically, you could drop $10 in the system and just keep feeding it through completed rifts forever.

(Of course, the business model is that not everyone does that -- either because they pay to finish the rift, or they buy a pass without finishing the rift, or, like me, they're super patient and frugal and then immediately say, "I have a $10 credit; what else can I buy???")

• Fronda
    Fronda Member Posts: 1
    Options

I kinda disagree with you on this one. Granted Tome IV is my first. I have only started plating since the 4th Anniversary. And, admittedly had no clue about Tomes when I first started.

That said, I paid for the high tier, and what I do is invest the cells back into the progression. Every 100cells I earn from the Rift unlocks a level. It ends up probably being about 10 levels. And I think it's worth it with all the exclusive cosmetics you get. The Wraths costume is great! And I love the little Tiki Cup charm.

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415
    Options

I’ve waited til reaching lvl 70 during Tome III and Tome IV before I purchased the Rift Pass.

During Tome IV I reached lvl 70 with 19 days remaining before the closing of the Rift.

I agree with this method.

Hopefully there won’t be any future alterations that would force players to purchase immediately.

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,892
    Options

Yeah, that'y my strat since Tome 2. I usually go for it earlier but still when I know for sure that I will reach Lvl 70.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,128
    Options

Eh, I've never had an issue with hitting Level 70.

Maybe I just play this game too damn much or what but Tomb IV had JUST opened up when I hit Level 70 in it

I suppose it's probably the smart thing to do since you never know what might happen but I figure if it ever happens that I have stopped playing the game and therefore don't complete the Rift, it's likely that I've quit playing the game (or something bad has happened to me in which case worrying about my Rift Pass is probably the last thing on my mind).

• CountVampyr
    CountVampyr Member Posts: 1,050
    Options

I bought the rift passes once I knew that I was going to have enough time to make it to 70 before closure. I can’t remember exactly when, probably around tier 50 with weeks left to go.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695
    Options

I bought the rift pass with the last Tome, but life got in the way and I was unable to get my money's worth out of it. Waiting until you hit 70 is the smarter way to go about it.

• Kellie
    Kellie Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

Honestly the rifts aren't worth getting.

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559
    Options

or, just don't buy it at all. That's always an option.

• mike1288mccarthy
    mike1288mccarthy Member Posts: 78
    Options

I've never personally had trouble reaching level 70 on the rift, but that's just me so it doesn't really matter if I buy it right away or not for me. Next rift I'm not so sure about because I'm not good with Billy and I haven't even touched blight since he was released.

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274
    Options

I did the "wait til 70" strat on the first two Rifts. Now I usually just enter the Premium Track once it would unlock the rewards I want (such as with the Wraith and David Cosmetics in Rift 4).

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

i bought the 1st rift and ever since paid for the next one with the 1k auric cells i got from the previous, so i'll continue purchasing rifts until i cant reach tier 69 at some point.

but yeah, in general, if you actually gotta pay money to get it, it would certainly be best to wait and see how far you got before buying it.

also i dont want to imagine how much you played to get to tier 70 before finishing the challenges xD

1 tier is like 12 games, so that must have been a lot of matches...

• Godot
    Options

This is a question I will not answer. It's sacred knowledge.

• FaceCampBubbaMain
    FaceCampBubbaMain Member Posts: 19
    Options

Nice

• Exerlin
    Exerlin Member Posts: 1,352
    Options

I buy it if I would feel satisfied with my current progress. Didn't get too far in this rift, but I bought the premium track and got the nice Wraith and Hag skins I wanted

• iplaybothsides
    iplaybothsides Member Posts: 33
    Options

I almost didn't finish this rift, and I did every challenge and played daily. I finished the first three relatively easily, but this one was such a grind for me for some reason....

• Slendy4321
    Slendy4321 Member Posts: 605
    Options

I reached level 70 on all past 3 tomes (excluding the first tome because I got the game when the second tome dropped)

This is a really smart strat if you don't think you'll finish the rift before it ends but I had no problems buy the pass and getting to level 70 on the previous tomes. Plus you get to show off the outfits that are on the premium side while you complete missions to further along your rift progress. I find this really cool

• EuphoricBliss35
    EuphoricBliss35 Member Posts: 875
    Options
  • EuphoricBliss35
    EuphoricBliss35 Member Posts: 875
    Options

If you’re going to buy the rift, your suggestion is exactly how it should be bought. Most of the skins are just re-colors anyways. They’re also supposed to release those skins in the shop after a few months. But, you know, bhvr

• Go_Go_Roboto
    Go_Go_Roboto Member Posts: 330
    Options

I'd be more likely to play that much if the end tier cosmetics weren't 50% poopy

• Slendy4321
    Options

I disagree. I loved Meg's and Zarina's cosmetics and I hear the next rift is going to feature a David Blighted cosmetic so I'm definitely looking forward to the next rift

• CountVampyr
    Options

For me it was worth getting because 1) I was playing the game and earning rift points anyways, and 2) I could use the auric cells earned to purchase licensed characters that I was already planning on getting.

• CountVampyr
    Options

Not all challenges can be completed in a single match. A lot of them you could easily clear an entire tier before earning the 3 to 5 rift points you were trying for. In the two rifts I have completed to 70 I only had to do a few of the killer challenges in level 4.

• DaFireSquirtle
    DaFireSquirtle Member Posts: 188
    Options

Tbh haven't really felt like playing throughout this pass. The game kinda got really stale for me.

• Godot
    Options

Nobody says you have to! The pass is just there if people want extra content. Nobody is going to ask you to pay for it. If the game itself got stale, then nobody asks you to play that either.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614
    Options

I just go up to the furthest reward that i want, then buy it.

• DaFireSquirtle
    DaFireSquirtle Member Posts: 188
    Options

On no I'm not saying I'm being forced to lol. I'm just saying I Normally do them but for this one I just felt it to be really grindr so I kinda stopped. Just giving my thought on it.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789
    Options

I bought it right away, but honestly I've played a lot more for this rift and did all the challenges, and only just managed to finish it in time with about 2 days to spare. I definitely spent more than 2 hours a day on average, by miles, and yet was tier 63 when I finished all challenges anyway. I do hope they go back to making challenges that require a grind giving 5 fragments, like in tomes 2 and 3. The level of grind for this one was only slightly better than tome 1 and that one was ridiculous.

• Deckergirl
    Deckergirl Member Posts: 39
    Options

It all depends on what they have on teir 1 premium.

CodMW had that chick on T1 so buying that BP was a must.

Fortnite season 11 had journey (cute)

Fortnite season 12 had maya

(create a soldier)

Season 13 had ocean

(Build a umbrella)

Season 14 (Current) has nothing because I'm to old for marvel.

(Don't own S14 pass)

But let me ask the real question.

Do your favorite skins REALLY come from the BP? Or from the shop.

Because in DBD my favorite skins all came from the shop. In fortnite I use shop or pack characters.

(Currently using summer Fable & beach bomber)

In DBD I dress myself with shop items because I don't play megan or wrath.

In call of duty MW I use a shop item as character (cat ear pack)

The only game where I use something I got out of the BP is RDO

(BP1 cowgirl outfit from T1)

So it honestly depends on if I like what I see

• Go_Go_Roboto
    Go_Go_Roboto Member Posts: 330
    Options
  • Godot
    Options
  • Slendy4321
    Options

The recolors on the rifts has to be the funniest ######### ever. It's like they don't even put time and effort to even change the skins just a little bit. Oh just slap it with a different color BOOM brand new skin