Is "gg" after a win bad manners?

2»

Comments

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,197

If you're genuine, there is nothing wrong with it. Only bad losers would see offence in it.

• Deathstroke667
    Deathstroke667 Member Posts: 15

Oh it's a known fact that survivors usually send the first message more than killers do, to send salt most of the time. I was mostly talking about the hypocritical GGs.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

Only if it was a very onesided match.

• ClaudettegetsnoBPS
    ClaudettegetsnoBPS Member Posts: 16

Dude, you're not toxic, its a matter of people hate it when beaten and subsequently can be dick heads.

• evil_one_74
    evil_one_74 Member Posts: 312

If it's a good hard fought match where both sides gave their all with no toxicity or scummy tactics it's definitely a gg.

• UMCorian
    UMCorian Member Posts: 531
    edited October 2020

It's fine - my personal tendency as killer is don't GG unless it's a 2K or 3K + Hatch, though I will always respond to someone else's GGs no matter what.

If you're in doubt and want to say GG after, say, 4King a group... ask yourself if you'd also type "GG" first if you just played a 0K and got only 1 hook. If the answer is yes, go for it - you've earned it. Most players (including myself) don't say "GG" after getting their ass whooped, though, so I don't feel I get to say it after whopping ass. I'll let them say it first and respond, otherwise let it be.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

You literally cannot get further from having bad manners than telling someone "good game." I don't know if you've ever played sports, but calling someone toxic for saying "GG" is like those arsehats that try to crush your hand in the post-match line-up-and-shake that the whole concept of "GG" comes from.

• TecmagDiams
    TecmagDiams Member Posts: 15
    edited October 2020

Honestly saying "gg" without any further context in your comment can be pretty rude in my opinion. As others have stated, some matches clearly were not good. If I am a survivor and 2 players on my team DC on their first down, and the next person gets first hook mori'd after being camped on hook there was nothing "good" about the experience.

If the person playing killer honestly can't see that for the survivors it wasn't a "good game" saying "gg" is tonedeaf and the person lacks basic interpersonal skills. It doesn't take much to empathise while being nice though.

"Gg guys, sorry about the DCs. I really wanted to use my mori I'd burned though. :(" - explains the behavior, connects with the other players, and is polite. If they get pissed back that's on them.

"gg" though is likely to get "it really wasn't though" as a reponse, because, well, it was a bad game.

I saw a lot of people using sports as a comparison but imagine this: my team fouled your team a bunch, refs didn't call them 90% of them time. My team won by a landslide because of this, couple of your guys actually got hurt pretty bad. "GG"

• Zayn
    Zayn Member Posts: 365

You wanna tell where exactly I wrote that I never say gg after losing? Don't make assumptions like that. I was simply saying that even if I win, I don't mean it in a bad way smh.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789

No. If anything, it's good sportsmanship, but people can be salty over it for sure. Had a Myers who decided not to pressure gens for an entire game while one person got to do the first 2 gens uncontested on the Game map, no less. And in the end he got a kill through the standard panicking post-gen camp into 1 for 1 hook swaps, but lost his rank 1 anyway so when I said GG, he raged about genrushing even though my friend and I actually waited a good few minutes to even touch a gen...we were super inefficient and yet he didn't punish us for it, and got mad about it.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

You are right, i should not make assumptions. Then let me ask you: Do you say it after losing too? If so, does saying gg after winning differ for you from saying it when losing? If not, why did you explicitly talk about winning, since it seems that you make a distinction here? But then, i am not a native english speaker, so maybe i just miss something. In my language, leaving things out or setting focus on them usually has a deeper meaning.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,154
    edited October 2020

As others already stated a simply "GG" after a game symbolizes for me a form of handshake and nothing more. Add "wp" for a positive note or write more to show respect/sportsmanship.

An added "ez" would be again definitely toxic.

• Ecstasy
    Ecstasy Member Posts: 426

I think it's kind of like, okay, you know in highschool football where at the end of the game they always have you walk past the other team in a line after the game ends and mumble good game thirty times in a row, even if it was a blowout.

It's not done with cocky enthusiasm, and very much the inverse with a sense of placation and humility on both sides in in recognition that its all just a game and now symbolically all behind you. You do it when you win; you do it when you lose; no hard feelings; and a reminder games are for fun and not something to carry forward.

It's just goodsportsmenship and respect, but there's no one is making you and you do it because you're the adult now.

GG EZ would be the exact opposite where you're matching past and talking trash like a tool because the coaches weren't paying attention to call you a shithead and make you run laps later for making everyone look bad. When players do that it's because there's no adult in the room to tell them otherwise.

Teabagging at the exit gates is like spiking the football after the touchdown, much like its defenders claim. Except they densely fail to realize that's not actually an acceptable practice and you rarely see it done in the real world. Also cause in a professional game that's the sort of thing they'll literally fine you a 100 grand for doing.

• Zayn
    Zayn Member Posts: 365

It depends how the killer played. If I go up against a Swing Chains and Paint Brush Ebony Mori Freddy, I won't say gg in the postgame chat. If the killer was just trying to play a normal game and doesn't bm or anything and we still lose, I would say gg because as a solo survivor at rank 1 who isn't toxic and doesn't bring keys and likes to run fun meme builds while trying to win, I respect that.

The only reason I talked about winning explicitly is because when I win and I can tell the killer had a rough game, I try to help them out or wish them luck in their next games whereas if I lose, I would just say gg and move on. It has no deeper meaning you're just overlooking it.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

It doesn't really matter what you say as long as you follow the rules. Who uses end chat anymore anyways?

• Cele
    Cele Member Posts: 63

I don't consider saying gg after a win bad manners. However it does leave a bit of a sour taste when one side stomps and then says gg first.

On that note however... I do not use the end game chat and keep it off at all times these days. There's very rarely anything good to be found there and honestly I'm just better off with no chat. Wish there was a way to indicate to others that I have chat turned off.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

You can indicate to the others by leaving the end game screen. If I'm not mistaken, the others can see when you do. Even if they can't, why care about what the others do if you can't even see it?

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105

GG is never a bad idea to add to the endgame chat, but add some nice things if the killer or the survivor got crushed

For example: "gg wp sorry for bad matchmaking", "gg very unfortunate map for you",

• Go_Go_Roboto
    Go_Go_Roboto Member Posts: 330

I also do it unless, you know, I really didn't think it was a good game for anyone.

Face camping bubba game? 4 man escape w/key? Etc?

I won't say gg, but also won't be a little unhappy camper about it.

As for winning? Same goes, if you did any of these things, it probably wasn't a good game for everyone. If I'm a slime bag I don't expect other people to have had fun, or would I rub it in with a sarcastic gg.

• yeahboi
    yeahboi Member Posts: 11

For me, "GG" (in DBD, League or every game) means that you finished the game and accept it was just... a game. Any anger or frustration should stay in that game and I wish eveyone to be done with it and able to move on in a positive mindset. Also it's just good manners.

So no, it's not BM. People need to take it less seriously and just move on.

• undoredo
    undoredo Member Posts: 92

It's only toxic when accentuated with crap like /s or /j or ez. GG is good manners imo, regardless of outcome.

• DeadHardMan
    DeadHardMan Member Posts: 319

It's common courtesy to say "gg" after the losing team says "gg" first, especially if it's a one-sided game. If the victor says the phrase first it makes it sound like they're gloating and shoving their victory on your face. There's a reason why in competitive games saying gg first from the winning side is considered bad manner and is against good etiquette.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,906

Win or lose, a gg is never bad manners.