I'm getting tilted by kobes

Options

First of all this is not 4%. It's far too common for that. It's basically every other game now, in some games multiple survivors are doing it - no luck offerings or perks btw.

Secondly it's probably the worst of all second chances. Why? because it's free. Doesn't even take a perk slot, it's just the game slapping you in the face.

It's getting to the point where I'm having to face camp survivors just to make sure they don't jump off. If they can find hatch it's basically a free escape.

Comments

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,759
    Options

Tbh I'm not even sure why survivors can be unhooked at all, even by other survivors. It should be one hook and instant death. That would be a nice nerf to DS.

• AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396
    Options

Im more tired of people trying to jump off when I ran across the map to unhook them. I am about to just start walking away when I see them attempt it.

• HEX_MalusGrey
    HEX_MalusGrey Member Posts: 231
    Options

What makes you think i am lying?

I have seen this many times as killer and unhooked myself a few times. All gens done + no survivors left to unhook + attemps left = Much higher chance to unhook yourself.

Honestly i thought this is common knowledge. 4% chance is almost impossible, unhooking yourself under the circumstances above is not. OP has noticed the exact same. Why else complaining about survivor getting the hatch? Must have been the last survivor left with first time hook.

• HEX_MalusGrey
    HEX_MalusGrey Member Posts: 231
    edited October 2020
    Options

I hade made a ton of matches playing killer and i have noticed this many times. As survivor i tested it by myself and managed to unhook myself 2 times. It is not working 100% of the time and the circumstances are not that often. But it totally makes sense. These kind of hidden game mechanics are things that game designers build into games to raise the thrill and fun. Think of it. Gates are powered, you are hooked for the first time and no one left for rescue. Your very last chance is this 4% unhook that the loading screen was talking about a huindred times. And then: BOOM! I GOT IT! IM FREE! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Except when it isn't because the game designers give you a 40% chance in such situations sou you have a high life moment ;)

This kind of stuff makes games more fun and i wouldn't change anything about it. At the same time, devs wouldn't want you to know about this because that would ruin your special moment ;)

EDIT

Feel free to put this theory to the test. Don't get hooked until all gens are fired up and the others are on hooks. Then try unhook yourself. Also test with gates open/closed. I am not 100% about the exact circumstance.

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001
    Options

I'm starting to believe the chances aren't 4% anymore or 11.5%ish if you try 3 times.

I've been having people kobe really often without luck offerings.

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699
    Options

That doesn't mean anything though. 4 percent doesn't mean it's impossible to kobe, it means its unlikely. Out of all the games you played your going to have to expect people to kobe a few times.

• Ryan489x
    Ryan489x Member Posts: 1,447
    Options

The big thing I look out for is deliverance. If someone comes off a hook on their own and they have the No healing symbol next to them you know they had that perk. just go for it.

Borrowed time is the real killer, it's basically a free unhook. for any distance in which you could stop if from happening. I understand face camping but when you're away from the hook and still get there before they come off it's crazy how annoying borrowed time is.

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536
    Options

With this game I wouldn’t be surprised if the kobe chance rate was bugged too and coming out much higher.

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001
    Options

This made made laugh more than it should've.

But I wouldn't be surprised as well.

• StardustSpeedway
    StardustSpeedway Member Posts: 882
    Options

Non issue. Maybe you need a small break from the game if THIS is something that's starting to tilt you. It'll do you good!

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,289
    Options

That's quite simply some form of negativity bias.

It's not that easy to remember all the survivor that suicide on hook and don't jump off, the ones attempting once right before they get unhooked and don't get off and failures to do so in general. It's fairly easy to remember when they do jump off and prolong the match as it's less likely than failing to do so, even easier when it results in an escape. And if we want to go even further it's even easier to remember when they jump off and slam-dunk themselves into the hatch right by the hook with a key or escape because they have DS or something.

4% per attempt is far from "almost impossible". With only one attempt people should get off 1/25 times, and with all 3 attempts (~12%) they should get off about 1/8.33333... times. For comparison rolling 1,1 on a pair of dice will happen 1/36 times (2.777...%). Same for any other combination of the same result on both dice.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,789
    Options

As killer, my feeling was always, "If you manage to unhook yourself and escape, good for you." I never stuck around to guard the hook when there was one person left -- and now, I'm not even sure if the game lets the last person try to unhook, if everyone else is gone?

I've only seen people self-unhook pretty rarely.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677
    Options

Complaining about kobes...are you serious?

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117
    Options

Cause its a fact that this is not how you described it.

• ClickyClicky
    Options

I still find it hard to believe the 4%

Show me the lines of code.

IF_killer=‘ClickyClicky’ THEN escapechance=20%

That’s it. That’s what it says in the code.

• thefallenloser
    thefallenloser Member Posts: 1,256
    Options

Ghost Face and 4%-ing are the most OP things in the game, apparently.

Imagine face camping someone one their first hook because they have a 4% chance to escape.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

It's 4%, following a binomial distribution. Over 3 attempts, the chance of success is about 11.5%.

• ClickyClicky
    Options

Here we go. Digging up posts and twisting the narrative.

I did not say Ghostface was the most OP killer in the game. I did not even say he was OP. The thread was something like “which killers do you hate the most” and I gave an answer and a reason. Old Freddy wasn’t OP in the slightest but there was a number of things that made people hate playing against him.

Secondly I don’t facecamp on first hook but the amount of times a game has dragged on a few more minutes, a survivor got a free escape, or in some cases they actually managed to mount a little bit of a comeback from a kobe is getting insane. Might as well confirm the kill in some situations if time permits it.

• SquirrelKnight
    SquirrelKnight Member Posts: 951
    Options

Considering how many bugs that help survivors are left for extended periods of time I wouldnt be surprised if self unhooks were ignored.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090
    Options

From all the things you could complain about, you're complaining about being able to kobe?

• ClickyClicky
    Options

It’s the frequency I’m complaining about.

They’re meant to be rare....like moris, but everybody has plenty.

• Marigoria
    Options

The difference is, Moris are actually unbalanced and unfair for this game, kobing isn't.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,001
    Options

Yes it is 4%, its called RNG

Another thing, its not free whatsoever as failing to "kobe" will reduce your time left in the first state by alot and most of the time when a survivor does kobe it hurts them more than helps them

• ClickyClicky
    Options

See I’d actually argue the kobe is unfair and unbalanced when it works. It’s literally a self-unhook no perk slot required lol

• Marigoria
    Options

Can you give me an example of how it is unfair? If it's the last survivor, when it could actually impact the game, they can't kobe, they just die instantly.

• thefallenloser
    Options

lol you got outplayed by the 4%

I did exaggerate a little to be fair, but you've always talked about how Ghostie is too oppressive. He's a mid-tier killer who has to to chase normally with no map pressure and his gimmick is pretty much negated by Spine Chill lol.

• ClickyClicky
    Options

I don't like how Ghostface works, but I don't have an issue with Spirit or PH who are arguable stronger. It's not a power thing I just don't like the mechanics of Ghostface.

He's quite like old Freddy, the things that make him fun to play as make him not so fun to play against. Hence why I describe him as "cheap".

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318
    Options

Well duh it's not 4%. 3 separate attempts ups the chances.

• noctis129
    noctis129 Member Posts: 967
    Options

This might be a urband legend of the urban legend.

I regularly unhook myself when I use slippery meat where I get 5 chances of Kobe. Even if I'm the first one to be hooked, I just start unhooking myself and about 1 out of 3 games, I successfully unhook myself.

But if I'm the last one to be hooked but my first time being hooked, I get about 50% chance of Kobe.

But maybe there is another explanation for this. Idk. Feel free to enlighten me on this.

*I run meme perks

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

Human memory is incredibly fickle and we are prone to biases when it comes to probability. If you want, you can test this in KYF and verify that with a large enough number of trials, there's no difference.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789
    Options

I mean my experience is that Kobes happen way less than 4% of the time; I don't think I've ever had someone kobe as killer, for example.

That said, I have had a session where 4 games in a row I was attempting it because the killer had our team basically decimated (all down) so I decided to give up, and kobed each time. Didn't win off it, nor did it allow me to create the much needed pressure for my team. It rarely does anything but give the killer more devout emblem points.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,301
    Options

Its way higher than 4% atm. I saw 5 last month alone, I did one last night myself in front of hatch, slug and camping wraith 😅

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

3 attempts at 4% is rougly 11.5%

so it's not as uncommon as you might think. Also probably confirmation bias but i'm fairly sure the chances go up if the survivors are in trouble.

The only time i see kobe's is if everyone is down. Then again that's the point were kobo's are attempted the most so yeah probably confirmation bias.

• Crewszpoo
    Crewszpoo Member Posts: 28
    Options

Its 4% for each failed attempt 3 attempts 12% so 1 in 9 to kobe if u blaze all 3 attempts everytime

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    edited October 2020
    Options

I just hate the fact that kobes activate DS and the unhooking i-frames. You can just kobe in front of the Killer and they’ll be forced to “tunnel”. It’s stupid, especially when kobes are supposed to be some super rare last ditch attempt to escape the hook, not another way Survivors can mess with Killers.

As Killer I rarely get Survivors that kobe but I’ve been kobeing slightly more as a Survivor.

• BillyMain77
    BillyMain77 Member Posts: 415
    Options

You can say this man is lieing but in my experience of over 1200 hrs. I find that the only time i really see a kobe is when everybody is slugged or hooked.

If you try and kobe with just you on the hook and your probably hitting struggle state, but try and kobe with 3 on hook and 1 on ground and it feels like 75% of the time someone gets one.

Ive never seen anything on this and it might just all be in my head but this is surely how it feels.

• thefallenloser
    edited October 2020
    Options

Yikes... people are bad at math in this thread. Just adding 4% three times doesn’t mean you have a 12% chance to escape, it’s 12/300, which is still 4%.

I’M BAD AT MATH

Post edited by thefallenloser on
  • Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

Yeah i had 2 kobe within seconds of eachother once. I gave one of them hatch just cause i was impressed