Trapper vs Clown

Options
DBD78
DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

Just for fun who in your opinion would you class as the better killer of these two and why?

And which one of them in your opinion is most fun to play?

I think this could be the two worst killers in the game, yet I like playing both of these killers. Who is the better one? It might be Clown but not sure both are weak. But I will go with Clown as the better one and Trapper as the more fun to play.

Comments

• Buttercake
    Buttercake Member Posts: 1,652
    Options

Personally I'd rather throw bottles of confetti at people than mill about finding traps and then setting them and then...Uh oh! I got caught in my own trap! 😅

• Slashstreetboy
    Slashstreetboy Member Posts: 1,811
    Options

Both are part of my core roster. Well, trapper not so much for a while since nowadays so many SWF run Object.

I agree with your assessment. Clown is stronger for sure, especially with good addons, while Trapper, when it works, is way more fun.

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321
    Options

All I can say it's more scary to go against Trapper (imo) as you become so paranoid at every loop that you end up messing up because you hesitate vaulting a window for instance.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

Clown is stronger. Trappers power is literally too slow for the current meta. No amount of skill will ever remove the fact that he has to spend entire minutes picking his power up from the ground, moving it somewhere else, and setting it up in the perfect spot, and then repeating that, all while not pressuring gens and hoping that he's going to snowball later, even though the survivor's can just hold W an avoid both his traps and any potential snowballs.

Clown may have a basic power that takes ages to reload for no real reason, but at least he doesn't have to give up the early game in order to maybe be able to throw a bottle in 5 minutes.

• RoboMojo
    RoboMojo Member Posts: 1,326
    Options

Trapper is stronger in my opinion. The main issue with him is that if you set up poorly then you’re essentially an m1 killer. You can deny pallets mid chase with your traps which is nice but if they’re in a swf then that’s gonna get disarmed real fast. However, Trapper with Corrupt is millions of times stronger then a trapper without corrupt. With Corrupt you can actually set up two or three traps and lose almost no gen time which is absolutely fantastic. I found a lot of success using Save the best for last with infectious in order to snowball like it’s my job along with the aforementioned corrupt and noed as backup (Please don’t perk shame me, I’m bad). I’ll concede that Trapper without add-ons makes add-onless Clown look OP though lol.

• Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409
    Options

Clown is because he can throw bottles and end chases faster where as trapper realizes on luck sometimes

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,600
    Options

Clown is definitely better because survivors can't disable your power. With Trapper, they can.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

Clown is more consistent but Trapper has a bigger potential for snowballing. Basically if Trapper can manage to get multiple survivors trapped in a short time he's very likely to win the game pretty much outright. On the other hand he can get unlucky and nobody steps on his traps most of the match. In contrast Clown is fairly steady, he goes out, finds a survivor, chases them, gets a hit relatively efficiently because of his ability, and repeat. Most of that gameplay loop is more or less the same give or take some variation in how good tiles are, etc. Clown doesn't snowball as often but he does keep relatively consistent pressure going through a match (assuming you are a good enough killer to stay in chases most of the match.)

Personally I think they're both ultimately in the "good enough" bucket of killers that are good enough to win if you outplay the survivors but whose margin for error isn't as much as the top tier killers. It will be interesting, though, to see what the devs have up their sleeve with Clown since they've already mentioned that they're actively working on changing him somehow.

• AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396
    Options

Trapper with Bloody Coil is the most fun Killer I could play. I wish it was basekit since all of his other add-ons are underwhelming. That way Survivors could face some risk when they choose to disarm traps.

I find Clown to be Meh, but that's just because I like the two trap Killers the best.

• OrangeJack
    OrangeJack Member Posts: 464
    Options

I perceive trapper as more of a threat when I play survivor tbh

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

The Trapper, just because of the amount of power his Beartraps can hold.

you are right though, the two of these are definitely the worst killers in DbD right now - which hurts me to say, as i really really love Evan, but he is just soooooooo outdated its not even funny anymore.

the worst part is, that it wouldnt even take that much to make him decent again! there have been hundrets of forum posts about how you could buff him, there have been countless videos from content creators throwing buff ideas in the room, yet nothing has ever happened.

Trapper is like a relic from a bygone era at this point.

he himself wasnt made worse, but the game evolved more and more, while he just stayed the exact same.

its like he was left behind...

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130
    Options

You are calling them 'worst' because you have heard a streamer say that. I would say they are the most fair. Requires effort on their part to win. Chase is the most fun part of the game so embrace these killers, including Myers. Normal speed killers with counterplay is a good thing. I hope the devs don't abandon what made their game successful. It's not a battle arena game where a coordinated genrush is required to ever win.

Both are very good killers.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,924
    Options

Both are good in their own ways, depending on how they're learnt. I couldn't say one is better than the other because they provide 2 different powers and playstyles. The only real reason someone would say one is better than the other is because the playstyle required for that Killer suits that player better.

The player is the one who determines which Killer is better based on their skills. It's all subjective.

• BaschFonRonsenburg
    BaschFonRonsenburg Member Posts: 307
    Options

Honestly I have much better luck with trapper. The thing about trapper is you have to have insane knowledge about where survivors are going to loop and how to corral them into a trap.

• MusicNerd_TC
    MusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099
    edited October 2020
    Options

Trappers entire existence is invalidated by discord and OoO, so trapper is worse.

• BaschFonRonsenburg
    BaschFonRonsenburg Member Posts: 307
    Options

I actually haven’t even had a problem. OoO and swf comms are only an issue if they are good, and half the time when swfs bring OoO they are either bad loopers or don’t know about trappers mind game potential. They worry too much about if a trap is there so they will hardly ever run loops tightly.

• AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396
    Options

Fun is subjective. The chase is the most fun for you, you can't speak for everyone else. When playing as Survivor, I find it fun to try to avoid the Killer as much as possible while doing objectives and helping my team. The most fun I have is being able to break line of sight during a chase and sneak away.

As a Killer, I can tell you that I don't find it super fun to be looped around the same strong window or pallet over an over in an obstacle course that has been designed to give a half competent Survivor every advantage in a chase, waiting for them to make a mistake. Nor do I like it when I get blinded during an animation lock, where I can't do anything about it. Sure, the counter is to not break the pallet, but then I just waste more time and make things even more difficult by not breaking it. Maybe it is more fun with the top 3/4 Killers but not everyone likes to play them.

Seems like you just like facing Killers where you don't have to work as hard to counter and take it easy during a match.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    Options

Don’t even get me started...

I don’t run add ons most of the time, and I don’t really use gen slow down perks on Clown.

Why?

He is so much stronger than most give him credit for.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130
    Options

I actually would like to play stealth sometimes but that's not possible from my experience because killers have too many aura perks, tracking perks, (ie. strider on spirit). I think all these aura perks, tracking perks, gen slowdown perks, are too powerful on a fast killer that can end chases quickly especially. Survivor needs a counter perk to turn off aura perks to make stealth an option. Right now there is no counter to such, just got to be a beast at looping or you are going to die very quickly.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    Options

Distortion, Off The Record, Sole Survivor.

Sole Survivor is much stronger than most give credit for. Not that a survivor should HOPE for their teammates to die, but let’s be real. Any killer that has a clue at what they’re doing is likely to kill at least 1 or 2 survivors by mid to late game. Sole Survivor has saved my skin a number of times against A Nurses Calling, I’m All Ears, Wallhack Myers/Wraith, Bitter Murmur, a Plague relying on Black Incense, Blight with his wall hack add ons. SS has been the difference between me getting found, or me getting the hatch or opening a gate. The only thing I wish SS still did was light up when your aura is being blocked, letting you know when it’s working, and provide help in figuring out what aura reading the killer is using.

• TheShocktor
    TheShocktor Member Posts: 134
    Options

On paper I'd say clown is stronger. The slow helps in chases but the bottles are also good for zoning. In my games however it's opposite. I tend to do poorly with Clown lately even though I mained him and trapper for long periods. When I use trapper I end up doing well most games. Doesn't make much sense but that's how it goes. In terms of fun I'd probably take Clown over trapper but not by much. Throwing the bottles is fun but the satisfaction of a well placed trap clasping around a survivors leg as you stand back and watch them run straight into it is fun too. If I was playing a coordinated swf I'd probably rather be playing Clown since teams like that will constantly be snapping traps. Not to mention you don't wanna waste more time than you have to and trapper having to collect his power all over the map definitely hurts him against a swf gen rush.

• zoozoom6
    zoozoom6 Member Posts: 825
    Options

clown is about as consistent as a killer can be and trapper is only beaten by pig in rng based power kinda hard to compare

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,097
    edited October 2020
    Options

The only problem is you're trying to set up hidden traps. Corrupt pushes them toward you not exactly a good idea. I mainly use pop or ruin + surge for gen slow down.

• RoboMojo
    RoboMojo Member Posts: 1,326
    Options

Depends on the survivor spawns and gen spawns. I’ve played dozens of Trapper games with corrupt and I’ve only had the traps I set at the start be seen in a small handful of games. Generally speaking I set up a trap or two and then start chasing in the hopes that my traps will end a chase in the mid- late game fast (Which they typically do if I set up at a strong tile because survivors will see the loop and assume it’s safe). I can understand however that corrupt probably is a bad choice if you prefer the playstyle of really focusing on the set up and giving up multiple gens so that you can hopefully snowball later. That playstyle is extremely risky though so I don’t enjoy playing that way myself. I personally don’t like pop on Trapper because having to take time kicking gens wastes time that you could be spending setting traps or chasing survivors other then the one you just hooked. When I’m not using my snowballing build, I probably use surge, ruin, corrupt and then something else, typically stbfl because I really like the perk lol. Surge is definitely underrated in my opinion but that’s beside the point.