Why don’t Killers like looping anymore?

Options
gatsby
gatsby Member Posts: 2,532

It seems like most Killers don’t like good old fashioned looping anymore. They’ll leave you at the drop of a hat if you’re playing good and camp you like crazy if they can tell you’re playing bad.

Killers with anti-loop spam that stuff so hard it’s like they’re allergic to looping normally. Huntress, Doctor, Pyramid, Freddy and Billy players will go around and around for ages trying to use their power, when they could’ve just looped the standard way, ate the pallet and moved on. It’s actually crazy.

Are most Killers unconfident and rusty with their traditional looping now or what?

Comments

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,031
    Options

Learning the ins and outs of your power takes time and a lot of failure. Just keep playing as well as you implying you’re playing and hopefully the killers who inspired this post learn from it.

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,031
    Options

It is the game. Maybe take a break when feeling like that. Losing really badly because you just don’t participate in basics and ignore fundamentals is not going to relax you as killer.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,598
    Options

This is highly incorrect. This might work out against some Tournament Squads (but I know, every Forum-Killer goes against them all of the time), but not in regular DBD-Games, even with SWF-included. Dropping Pallets immediatly and not killing the team by doing so would work at max on Ormond.

Most Maps dont have many Pallets, even tho they are safe, which creates some bad situations (and honestly, there should be way more Pallets, but less safe ones) where god Survivors can run around Killers who need to break the Pallets and bad Survivors throw the few Pallets on the Map so that their team does not have any ressources left.

Like, I regularly have games where Shack Pallet is gone at 5 Gens. Like, just thrown, who needs it anyway. So saying that Survivors can just play safe and win is not correct at all. This only works if your team is actually doing stuff AND you have the right Map for that, but I can assure you that at least the first point is not given that often.

But a solution for that would be that instead of having 8-12 safe Pallets, every Map has like 20+ Pallets where like 2 or 3 are safe and the rest is quite unsafe. But sadly something like that would not work out since Bloodlust exists.

• Kumnut768
    Kumnut768 Member Posts: 789
    Options

people try to do fancy stuff with their power because regular m1 looping is actually pretty boring its when you start throwing these abilitys in there which is where the excitement comes from

• BaldursGate2
    BaldursGate2 Member Posts: 994
    Options

Because it is boring for killers, but as survivor to loop is the only fun part about the gameplay. And the only killer that can cut loops to non existant is so hard do play, that most ppl give it up after a couple of games.

• SoulKey
    SoulKey Member Posts: 338
    Options

Anymore ? When did they ever like looping :D

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,787
    Options

@gatsby the process you're describing ends with "eating a pallet and moving on" rather than "getting a down," so that's why. I think most people would rather mess around and see if they can actually get a hit out of it rather than commit to running in a circle with no reward.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    edited October 2020
    Options

Because the game fundamentally incentivizes finding one or more bad Survivors on the the team ASAP and taking advantage of those weak links, and a loop is probably the best way to determine who the weak players are. A good Survivor will eat up a lot of the Killer's time on loops whereas a bad Survivor is likely to eat up not as much time. You'd rather have a good Survivor holding down M1 on a gen (since in most cases, they won't be that much faster on the gen than a bad Survivor) and a bad one trying to keep you occupied.

• CheyeneKL
    CheyeneKL Member Posts: 718
    Options

If they say it's boring then they must be lying cause they're still playing the game for fun lmaooo

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

I like chasing and looping, it’s the most fun part of the game, even though I’m definitely not the strongest player at it. (Red rank survivors can definitely be hard to catch sometimes, but that’s mainly me being bad at knowing optimal paths on specific tiles.)

But as far as strategy goes breaking off a chase when a good runner gets to a strong position makes sense. Even if you can ultimately catch them it could add 15-30 seconds to your chase time if they have a really good loop available. I at least typically try and get a pallet drop in that case to make the loop weaker for next time, but if the loop isn’t anywhere near any gens then chasing a survivor that long without exerting pressure on anybody else is probably a game losing move. It’s better to take the pallet drop and switch targets to pressure someone else then just tunnel vision the one survivor running that super safe loop that will take a while to resolve.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

To be honest, actual "looping" is the least fun part of a chase. It really is just two people holding W in a slightly different format.

However, I am aware that looping is the term applied to chasing someone while actually using resources, I just wanted to nitpick a little.

• Talmeer
    Talmeer Member Posts: 1,520
    edited October 2020
    Options

I have never enjoy looping in general. Only with the old Legion, but that was mainly because you could with the old Legion do more in this time, as just running behind someone.

You could also stab them and even if other killers could do more like 1 shots - it still had make fun.

But besides that it is for me just a illogical and cheap game mechanic.

Illogicial because many killers would not need to loop. They would either kick the barrels (as example) by side, jump over it, or "phase" through it (if the killer is a ghost).

Cheap because I have the strong opinion that looping is only so much important to that game because there is outside of it not much to do.

Ok, the survivors can still repair gens and killers can still facecamp if they dislike moving, but that is not much. This game has no other game modes, like searching for tools, making new map-areas avaible to finally flee like in other games and so on.

I wish dbd would have more game modes after all. That said, besides other things, like that the devs would not always come with "we look what is necessary to win a match". I a am player, not a esl-pro gamer and as player I like to have fun in the first place.

Hargh, yet I have nevertheless rant in the last line. I didn't want to :|.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    Options

It's boring. I've started to hate maps like MacMillan, Autohaven, Coldwind just because of how the loops are. There's rarely a mindgame and it's just run in a circle and hope the Survivor makes a mistake (or just doesn't have eyes).

• Kalinikta
    Kalinikta Member Posts: 709
    Options

Killers need to be willing to drop a chase at the drop of a hat:

• We are not playing a 1v1 game, a Killer has to consider what the other 3 are doing while they are chasing.
    • A killer needs to assess the total amount of pressure they are doing on all team members, if as a killer commits to strong to a single chase and the survivor is doing well, they simply lose the game.
    • A good looper can occupy to much of your time till you even get the first hit in and so many survivors play it safe, it is better to drop and try again when you catch them slightly out of position.
    • Killers with anti-loop will try and learn to use their powers. They might be very good at it or not, but not trying means you are not learning to use them. It is more beneficial to the player to try and fail than not try at all. They are not playing a M1 killer, so they shouldn't approach it as one either.

Survivors shout all the time: Just get good! Well, practice is what makes you good and learning when to drop chase is what makes you good. Why complain about them trying to get good? Simply put, if you are playing good in a loop as a survivor... a good killer will drop chase. It has nothing to do with confidence it has to do with the fact that they are facing 4 people and not one. Killers shouldn't try and play on the survivors terms, who to chase is a crucial choice for a killer and might just determine the outcome of the game.

• GrimReaperJr1232
    GrimReaperJr1232 Member Posts: 1,658
    Options

It doesn't matter what the killer likes.

You learn very quickly when you play killer that time is not on your side. You need to end your chases quickly, even if that means giving up on one survivor because you need to disturb another to slow down the gen progress. Looping in the traditional sense is simply not very practical is many scenarios. If it's not a loop that the killer can outplay reliably and/or the survivor seems to be playing it super safe, then the smart thing is to just leave.

Pop, Corrupt, Old Ruin, Undying-Ruin—these are all meta. Do you know why? They all give killers time.

Nurse is the best killer in the game. Why? The lack of counterplay? No, it's because her chases are some of the fastest in the game. Spirit? Extremely good chase (also you don't know ######### she's doing half the time). Pyramid Head (currently, anyway)? He can quickly kill survivors thanks to his anti-loop and ability to play around DS-Unbreakable. What makes Blight awesome? He's one of the few killers that can catch up to you before you reach a loop, and this is despite his kit containing no real anti-loop outside of some really crafty uses here or there.

Worst killers? Clown who can't end his chases fast enough because of his lack of lethality and can't pressure the map in any other way, Legion whose power only gets the first hit in and is at the mercy of Deep Wound and survivors healing for stall potential/map pressure, Trapper who needs time to set up (and unlike Hag, he's not borderline unstoppable once set up), Wraith's power doesn't help in a chase—nothing helping them get quick downs and pressure survivors.

I've gone off on a tangent. TL:DR time constraints of the match often means the killer cannot afford to run loops.

• EntitledMyersMain
    EntitledMyersMain Member Posts: 832
    Options

Because it gets really draining from time to time.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,575
    Options

It's fun to chase as killer. It's not fun for a chase to cost you 2 gens. It's annoying to have to mindgame survivors at almost every loop just to get them. Jungle gyms and TLs if played right, waste a guaranteed amount of the killer's time. There's no gameplay so to speak, just going through the motions.

• Chechia
    Chechia Member Posts: 234
    Options

You actually have answered your question yourself.

Killers will leave good loopers. Seems logical, right?

Ever played killer in red ranks? You should. It will change your perspective of the game.

• MusicNerd_TC
    MusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099
    Options
  • MusicNerd_TC
    MusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099
    Options

If you are a killer main that doesn't play an anti-loop killer and you enjoy the game, you enjoy looping, it's the main defense survivors have and is absolutely essential to core gameplay.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014
    Options

Because while we're looping, survivors are finishing gens.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789
    Options
  • SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,694
    edited October 2020
    Options

I think you touched on one of the biggest frustrations with dead by daylight. As anyone who plays this game knows, it has horrible matchmaking, and as such it's incredibly punishing for newer and casual players. For years the community has asked for a training mode like what the mobile counterpart has, but BHVR keeps saying that it's not a priority.

The fact that newer players have to turn to streamers to teach them how to play the game and be better at the game is one of dead by daylights biggest failings. The game should come with the tools necessary to teach anyone to play, but it doesn't. Sure you can create a custom game provided you have the friends necessary and available to do so, otherwise your SOL.

• SquirrelKnight
    SquirrelKnight Member Posts: 951
    Options

The biggest problem with the loops is killer time management. When a loop can burn 20-45 seconds why waste the time when you know gens are going to pop. Not to mention if killers chase survivors too long they get called tunnelers. At the end of the day i guess more people are getting tired of doing stuff to get told not to or not have it be effective.

• Lufanati
    Lufanati Member Posts: 198
    Options

If by "looping", you mean running around a barrier for 2 or 3 laps before a pallet is dropped in your face, then killers don't like looping because it's basically losing the game.