Should Self Care be basekit?

Options
Lx_malice
Lx_malice Member Posts: 1,417
edited October 2020 in General Discussions

So I remember seeing this topic a couple years back on the forum and most other killers were agaisnt it because at the time it was the most used meta perk. Well now everyone has realized that the perk is just pretty mediocre and even some survivors dislike others running the perk. This is because choosing to self care all the time and at the wrong times will usually just benefit the killer, but it can allow survivors to heal themselves when the help of a teammate is not available and offer the chance of making more plays.

Now of course we would remove the increase in healing item efficiency and just simply add the ability to be able to heal yourself at half speed. Self care can then be reworked into something else.

I feel like this change would only benefit both sides for the most part.

For killers it would slow the game down a bit with survivors that could be choosing to self caring and getting early hits in could be a lot more valuable. Healing slowdown perks would naturally gain more value as well.

For survivors they'd be gaining a free perk and they wouldn't need the help of a teammate, item, or perk to be able to heal themselves. Healing speed perks would also see more usage which could overall shake up the survivor meta a bit.

So all in all I feel like a change like this could be healthy for the game. Maybe not right away but at the very least sometime in the future I could see this happening. Thoughts?

EDIT:

Well so far the general consensus is that it would be too strong.

So in that case the heal speed would be lowered to 35-40% and any progress made towards the healing bar by healing yourself (without a medkit) will regress over time.

And finally only if necessary a cap can be added to the speed at which you heal yourself without a medkit, perk, or teammate.

Post edited by Lx_malice on

Comments

• Masterninja
    Masterninja Member Posts: 404
    Options

I don't know, this type of ideas are very risky, but it could be interesting to see this change and test it in the PTB.

I thought some times, that the perk diversion could be also a base-kit for all the survivors. Just for include a new mechanic in the survivor gameplay.

• Slashstreetboy
    Slashstreetboy Member Posts: 1,811
    Options

I wouldn´t be opposed to it if it weren´t for people already self caring through mangled already. This might amplify the problem.

To make it a free perk, it should be balanced to 3-4 times normal healing speed. Way too strong to be a base mechanic the way it is currently.

• FFabeq
    FFabeq Member Posts: 530
    Options

It could be but it would be like 30% of normal healing speed,

and self care would do something different, but not boost the numbers. Just a complete rework

• Dwinchester
    Dwinchester Member Posts: 961
    Options

It seems like a good idea in theory, but I think this would be bad in practice.

Bad survivors would be self caring in the corner, decent survivors would never use it unless in an endgame scenario. My fear would be great survivors in a swf. 99 the heal with dead hard and engage the killer. Run him around a loop, waste his time with dead hard, the heal last second, take a hit, and move to a different loop.

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781
    Options

No, but I can see what you mean. If everyone had self-care it would be very unhealthy for the game. We already have a problem with Claudettes self caring in a corner lol. Besides this could be abused by skillful survivors stacking healing speed perks.

• Mak0
    Mak0 Member Posts: 251
    Options

Please no. This will just compel the killer meta to slowing down gens which im fine with AND making healing as slow as possible. This will just lead to more teammates going off to the corner doing nothing and self caring through mangled and other effects now that they dont have to waste a perk slot on it

• carnage4u
    carnage4u Member Posts: 338
    Options

self care should have a limited number of uses based on its level. You are welcome

• seki23
    seki23 Member Posts: 833
    Options

that would make solo q more unbearable than already is.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135
    Options

Imo no. Healing promotes team play. If Survivors didn't need each other's help, they would play much more selfishly and it would hurt solo queue. It would also speed games up quite a bit since Survivors would not have to spend time finding each other for help. You don't want each individual Survivor to be self-sufficient. They should rely on each other. This is a 4v1 after all.

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536
    Options

Way too strong. Everyone that runs self-care alone right now could just use the free perk slot for botany or desperate measures and then everyone has turbo self-care.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,226
    Options

Why do people always forget that selfcare has the same effiency as being healed by 1 another person.

If you take more than 16 seconds to find a healer, selfcaring wouldve bern faster fpr your game progress

Its a really strong ability and makes you self sufficient.

Afterall you dont need to power the gens, you just need to last longer than those other 3 suckers.

• Shymare_11
    Shymare_11 Member Posts: 494
    Options

Just make it punishing to use unless you have to:

Self-care (the mechanic): you unlock the ability to heal yourself. You heal 75% slower and skill checks are 20% smaller when healing yourself without a med-kit.

Self-care (the perk): Increases the the speed, in which you heal yourself, by 50%. Increases your med-kit efficiency by 15/20/25%. Skill checks are 10% more frequent when healing yourself.

That way you have an emergency option that you’re unlikely to use, however, the self-care perk doesn’t fade into obscurity. Even then, with the skill checks, you are more likely to look for another survivor if there is one or a med-kit.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    Options

HELL!!

NO!!

• Zaibatsu
    Zaibatsu Member Posts: 20
    edited October 2020
    Options

What I'd like to see in dbd, isn't self-care as a basekit, but every survivor/killer playing with their own perks (and not teachable anymore) plus a fourth perk choosen from the common ones. That would be interesting to try out.

Plus... I would add also the limitation on survivor pick: the team shold be composed by four different survivors without any double Megs or Cluadette; like a hero shooter where the meta is based not on perk composition but on team.

But just the first option I think would be fun to try out. Do you want to use DS? then Laurie Strode is your choice; do you need ruin? play the Hug... and so on.

• Pawcelot
    Pawcelot Member Posts: 985
    Options

Don't you want a Claudette standing in a corner self-caring for 60+ seconds in every game? It'd make most killer games a breeze since survivors wouldn't do anything other than healing.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,209
    edited October 2020
    Options

To be fair, every new characters should come with only A Single Perk, but become a base-kit for everyone else (especially Survivor), except adding the perks will enhance quality/quantity to the base-kit.

Like Diversion gain token after 90sec, the one with the perk gain token after 30sec. DS stun Killer for 3sec, one with the perk stun for 7sec.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090
    Options

As someone who mostly plays survivor: no thanks. Sick of dying on hook because some idiot is self caring.

• Thrax
    Thrax Member Posts: 974
    Options

Enough dumb dumbs will self care around 1 or 2 teammates as it is. That'd make it worse.

• Slendy4321
    Slendy4321 Member Posts: 605
    Options

I honestly prefer Inner Strength than Self Care. It takes 8 seconds no matter if they have sloppy or affected by dying light or thanatophobia. It's honestly become one of my main perks when I play solo

• ShadowRain
    ShadowRain Member Posts: 607
    Options

No.. Self Care is top 5 best survivor perks in the game