Afraid of Change

CaptainRaider
CaptainRaider Member Posts: 151
edited October 2020 in General Discussions

For the longest time I have been bothered by the strong resilience in shaking up the gameplay. I have received nothing but strong disapproval for shaking up the core game; for years dbd fans have been putting up with the same repetitive and stale gameplay.

I always hear fans ask for a new gamemode, playing killer with another killer, more options for custom game, limited time modes. However, there is always an equally opposing force defending the devs saying, “Dbd can’t handle that,” “It would split up the playerbase,” and “no way could our game’s lovable spaghetti code handle that.” When, as CONSUMERS, do we put our foot down? STOP making excuses for devs who prioritize Google ######### Stadia and premium cosmetics over NEW gameplay; ignoring the temporary bandaid of new killer abilities, perks or a different looking survivor. I’m tired of doing gens as survivor, and I’m tired of sweating my ass off or being bored out of my mind in a 14 minute game of chasing survivors without socializing or talking with another human being.

ALL I am vouching for is the removal of restrictions in private matches, let US the CONSUMERS decide how many killers we want and survivors we bring, don’t restrict us because it might, “Crash the game.” I couldn’t give less of a #########. This game crashes with or without having fun, so at least let me play with my mates how I WANT to play, instead of being scolded about how I am not playing the game right or am upsetting the balance of the force in the ######### entity’s realm. Also let me use a killer I don’t have.

Thanks,

Raider

Comments

• ToxicMyers
    ToxicMyers Member Posts: 1,295
    edited October 2020

Personally i have never seen any rejection to a new mode, however i have seen it with people asking to yeet core game mechanics like hooks or generators

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

I have.

Mode suggestion in question I can name from the top of my head:

1. A gamemode similar to Among Us or Werewolf and similar games, that would come with a roleswapped roster of the original characters.
    2. a scavenger mode to replace/simplify the bloodweb
    3. 2:8
    4. Maps with more objectives. (like having to do something first to blow up a barrier before you can proceed to the gates)

They all had their fair share of people saying what Raider said the responses are.

There were also ideas floating around to change the way perks and totems etc work, ideas to make the charms something that is not just decoration etc.

All these ideas commonly get smacked down with 'the game can't handle it' or 'it wouldn't fit dbd' or 'it wouldn't fit with the lore.

• CaptainRaider

Exactly, I think this needs to be talked about more. I myself am running out of positive excuses for the game team that avoid ridiculing them.

• MeltingPenguins

Yeah :/

And then there's suggestion for smaller modes and features that get put down by the community where it's frankly ridiculous.

Like a colorblind mode where the community is certain it be unfair and would be used for cheating. Or a 'nightmare mode' where you wouldn't have the red stain, TR or music outside of chases.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

To be fair, now that crossplay is a thing the playerbase is big enough to be divided once more. Not keen on the whole new game mode thing, but if that's what the Devs want then I think the que times could now handle it.

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647

Now I can understand the "among us" mode smack down because if bhvr were to do that it'd be like saying "among us" is better... and DBD is king sooo..but yes other ideas should be tested at least because the game needs to evolve.

• MeltingPenguins

well, 'among us' itself is a game in the same vein as Town Of Salem, Werewolf etc. People will always compare apples to oranges, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647

I get what you're saying but atm "among us" is popular, like I never heard of "town of Salem" etc... so DBD creating a mode like "among us" would sort of be piggy backing off of it thus saying "we wanna be like them" where bhvr is king of its own genre.. i don't think it would be good business wise, because why would the players not just play among us at that point?

• MeltingPenguins

You might as well ask why people play Among Us AND Town of Salem. Or why they play various FPS. etc.

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,802

Pretty much the only game mode I've seen multiple people ask for is 2v8, and that would be a balance nightmare on the current small, 7-gen maps. Given the amount of work necessary to balance this mode, to add larger maps that would better support it, etc., I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze.

I don't think people usually don't want new game modes. They would just rather the core game be more balanced, performance be better, etc.

• MeltingPenguins

It would likely be something that goes hand in hand:

Balancing/overhauling the current game and its mechanics and adding in new modes.

For example: Fully dynamic points would maybe encourage more varied gameplay, helping to balance things. Right now you only get 'unique' point boost for certain killers (be it as killer or against them), but no real boost if you play different against them. There's killers where the 'engage in chase and loop while gens get done' doesn't really cut it, yet you won't get significantly more points for e.g. staying out of those killers' sight. I reckon a lot of people would stop trying to engage e.g. myers in a chase (thus letting him stalk them) if they'd get more points for breaking LoS or avoiding him entirely.

• notstarboard

The trouble is that the balance of a 2v8 and 1v4 game would not be the same. Imagine two Forever Freddies playing at the same time, for example. You would have to fully rework the maps, perks, etc. to make that work. It would be like a whole new game balance-wise. This couldn't go hand in hand with balancing the existing 1v4 game, then; it would just divert resources from it.

• MeltingPenguins

Alternatively, a 2:8 mode could come with complete new maps that come with more objectives that must be done on either side. but otherwise, yeah

• megdonalds
    megdonalds Member Posts: 742

2 vs 8 will never happen because all game mechanics, perks, items, addons etc. are only designed for 1 vs 4.

• Komodo16
    Komodo16 Member Posts: 1,488

You had me in the first half until you wanted the games entire aspect to be changed

• notstarboard

Well agreed, but my point is that you wouldn't really be able to use new content for both 1:4 and 2:8. Like, maybe you could make a new realm and you could re-use assets in both a 1:4 and 2:8 map, but there's no way you could play both game modes on the same new map and have them both be balanced.

• MeltingPenguins

You have just proven Raider's point about what's wrong, just saying.

That's what I meant. But also, yeah, the old maps need an overhaul as well. Just adding breakable walls won't cut it. I'd say the main issue is that a lot of maps are centred around the killer they came with: Swamp is ideal for Hag, Lery's is ideal for Doctor, etc, while on other maps a killer might fall flat.

How well they do on 'fish out of water maps' on average without perks/on adept mode is a pretty good measure for how powerful a killer is, I'd say.

• Komodo16

No its understandable, but how would call of duty be if they turned it into a puzzle game? Or in this case if cod became strictly 1v1 or 1v4 now the whole game is changed and its not even good. 3 Survivors is not enough and 4 is, unless gens are too fast. Adding a new gameplay mode would be cool and add more players. But changing the core gameplay is a bold but pointless move and often destructive. And it starts to show that denying these changes isn't fear or bad its logical

• BadWraithMain
    BadWraithMain Member Posts: 25

I keep thinking about that one CowsIAm video where he played Prop Hunt in a custom match. Hell, I'd settle for that tbh

• weirdkid5
    weirdkid5 Member Posts: 2,144

With crossplay being a thing now, the "divided playerbase" nonsense is even more invalid than ever.

• MeltingPenguins

It's not logical.

The 'logical' leap people (you too, sorry) are making is that they sort games by the wrong measures.

CoD is what it is, the 'lore' there doesn't allow for much more than that. But DbD is different. It's more like, as silly as this may sound, Pokemon:

You have your setting, your lore, and what happens based on it is what makes the gamemode.

A 1:4 mode as we have it now would be as possible as a scavenger hunt or 'murder in the dark' (that's among us' genre iirc).

In short: CoD is a FPS because it is made as such and the lore is made to fit that.

DbD can be various things because they would fit with the lore.

Hell, even a single-player puzzle game like 'The Room' or 'House of DaVinci' could theoretically work if it focuses on the characters' lore.

• CaptainRaider

When did I say that? My main statement was quote, “ALL I am vouching for is the removal of restrictions in private matches, let US the CONSUMERS decide how many killers we want and survivors we bring, don’t restrict us because it might, ‘Crash the game...”

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666

I am all for a DBD part 2 with new base code.

• CaptainRaider

Same. A ground-up game for next gen is the dream, but I don’t have much confidence in it happening and happening the right way.

• Komodo16

See that's where you're wrong. The lore is already set that its 4 survivors against a killer. Although the fact the entitiyu has multitudes could easily leave room for a hide and seek mode or whatnot but frankly it takes away from the actual lore and its also logical that it would either be a hit or not and if it is the queue times will be screwed and if not it will for the other mode. That is all logical, not fear and also people have been wanting a new game mode it just wouldnt work unless we could get more players

• Komodo16

So basically you say the consumers should get to be in charge of the games rules and that we should wreck the weak game servers just to try new things. Ok well yeah games would crash and it would be hectic and it may be fun and also if we did that it would change how the game actually is. So yes even though your point was not what I referenced your point would result in the games core aspect being destroyed

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430

I feel like I agree the game needs to evolve but being realistic here, I don’t see the devs including any of those ideas to have multiple killers vs survivors. For some reason I feel like that is not something they are legit interested in doing.