The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Leatherface's chainsaw attacks miss when they seemingly shouldn't. Hitbox adjustment?

I wasn't sure if this post should be a bug report, or if it should be a balancing request, so I'm going to try and combine the two.

So, while playing Leatherface there are times when I appear to be "on top of" a survivor with my chainsaw out, which I assume should put them into the dying state. However, as you can see in these videos, that's not the case. The attacks just complete as if I had missed.

This happens often when survivors are trying to 'juke' the attack. But, considering that this chainsaw attack is done in a sweeping motion, I don't see how juking would be possible - given Leatherface is close enough.

Other than that, it happens almost anytime the chainsaw is used during a chase and not using 'The Beast's Marks' & 'Carburetor Tuning Guide' add-ons. Sometimes it seems like the extra movement speed and decreased charge time from those add-ons make the difference between Leatherface being viable, or inviable.

I have a playlist of 13 videos, but I've included one video as an example here:

Warning: Volume
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d4iS7omuuc

Comments

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,849

Looks like it's working as intended to me. The very last swing, the range is shorter and she was through the window. Your other attack just straight up missed.

• TheMadDoctor
    TheMadDoctor Member Posts: 250
    apropos said:

I wasn't sure if this post should be a bug report, or if it should be a balancing request, so I'm going to try and combine the two.

So, while playing Leatherface there are times when I appear to be "on top of" a survivor with my chainsaw out, which I assume should put them into the dying state. However, as you can see in these videos, that's not the case. The attacks just complete as if I had missed.

This happens often when survivors are trying to 'juke' the attack. But, considering that this chainsaw attack is done in a sweeping motion, I don't see how juking would be possible - given Leatherface is close enough.

Other than that, it happens almost anytime the chainsaw is used during a chase and not using 'The Beast's Marks' & 'Carburetor Tuning Guide' add-ons. Sometimes it seems like the extra movement speed and decreased charge time from those add-ons make the difference between Leatherface being viable, or inviable.

I have a playlist of 13 videos, but I've included one video as an example here:

Warning: Volume
    Honestly I wouldn't mind that last swing getting a hitbox adjustment, but I would prefer it only injure them since the chainsaw burns out at that state.
  • apropos
    apropos Member Posts: 245
    edited October 2018

@Dreamnomad said:
    Looks like it's working as intended to me. The very last swing, the range is shorter and she was through the window. Your other attack just straight up missed.

I agree that the second attack missed. Regarding the first swing, is there anywhere I can read that the final swing is supposed to be shorter? The chainsaw misses, literally, every time with that final swing. Even if I am on top of someone.

There are a total of thirteen videos if you view the playlist. Unfortunately, I can't embed the playlist.

• Wolf74
    Wolf74 Member Posts: 2,959

Both swings should have been hiits.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,849
    edited October 2018

Watch the following video. Skip to about 42 mins in and you can see what the player's hitboxes actually look like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56aSD99gmTI

This explains why sometime as a survivor you can see the killer's swing come up short, but you still get hit. And for killers, it explains why sometimes you might see an attack go through the arm of a survivor but not get the hit. Basically, survivor hitboxes are like giant weiners. As the survivors move, sometimes a limb will go outside the "weiner zone". 9 times out of 10 this heavily favors the killer though as the hit box covers a lot of areas that the survivor's body isn't attached to.

• apropos
    apropos Member Posts: 245

@Dreamnomad said:
    Watch the following video. Skip to about 42 mins in and you can see what the player's hitboxes actually look like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56aSD99gmTI

This explains why sometime as a survivor you can see the killer's swing come up short, but you still get hit. And for killers, it explains why sometimes you might see an attack go through the arm of a survivor but not get the hit. Basically, survivor hitboxes are like giant weiners. As the survivors move, sometimes a limb will go outside the "weiner zone". 9 times out of 10 this heavily favors the killer though as the hit box covers a lot of areas that the survivor's body isn't attached to.

Oh, awesome. Thanks for this :)

• DisturbedZ
    DisturbedZ Member Posts: 59

@Dreamnomad said:

This is a very helpful video. I am still going to say survivor hit box's are crap. They need to be more shaped to the body. An arm hit is an arm hit and a miss to the head is a miss to the head. On top of that regarding the op video, the chainsaw hit box should of hit those walls so many times during that attack its not even funny. Yes that would nerf the chainsaw in tight areas but it makes sense. Should it completely stop him... no, but should it maybe bounce him around slightly like the wiggle does... yes I think it should. This would make the killer think about when to actually use that attack and not just the second he sees a survivor. None of the other killers attacks really go through walls so why should the chainsaw?