The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Every Map Looks Like Yamaoka.

RockoRango
RockoRango Member Posts: 554
edited October 2020 in General Discussions

Please. Every time I go into these remade maps, I get Vietnam flashbacks of Blendette.

In all seriousness, could you not use the same bland color palette (or color correction, I haven't looked too much into UE 4) for ALL maps? This is incredibly dumb and bores down the style of the game into a Yamaoka-sight fest. Every map before this rework had a different color palette, making maps look unique, but everything now feels like a copy and paste of Yamaoka.

Post edited by RockoRango on

Comments

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

Mac estate is now meh. I miss the blue tint. Map is also too light imo.

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

I was just saying that to my friend. Everything looks the same. Nothing is unique anymore. The new maps do not look better they look like reskins of the same idea. If they make every map look like this the fatigue is going to set in real quick.

• TheWarNung
    TheWarNung Member Posts: 794

I actually love the rework. There's alot more to making a map look unique than giving it a color tint. The crumbling brick maze tiles look very distinct and I really like the wider window vaults.

The main buildings look a ton nicer as well.

• Chechia
    Chechia Member Posts: 234

Don't forget the increased amount of trees

*Huntress has left the chat*

• MrSmashem
    MrSmashem Member Posts: 161

Agree completely. I hated the old blue filter. The map looks much richer now, and to me, it still has MacMillan vibes.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287

i Feel the affects of senility on every reworked map. It’s like being lost in something you know you should know.

• ProfoundEnding
    ProfoundEnding Member Posts: 2,334

I hated the blue tint. Made all my clothes the same color. I loved running my pink shirt on Jane but hated it instantly when I got a MacMillan map because it was no longer pink, it was white 😣

• RockoRango

I feel the same, from the moment I load into the map all the way until the game ends. It feels like they were stripped of their uniqueness.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

I really don't like how tall the normal grass is on the redone maps. Yamaoka, Badham, and now Macmil all have this grass that is so tall you can't see through it while crouching as Pig or GF, and it's really hard to see scratches or blood.

• MrSmashem
    MrSmashem Member Posts: 161

Disagree completely. Yamaoka looks distinctly different than MacMillan to me. The sky is orange instead of blue, it has bamboo everywhere, architecture is completely different, loops are wood/bamboo instead of brick/concrete, shack is different, it has statues everywhere and more; even the ground textures are different, Yamaoka has dirt/snow, while Macmillan has dark mud. The only thing that's the same is the grass, and maybe a few bushes and trees(?).

Im surprised by how many people claim all three realms look the same, despite them being very distinctly different.

• MissKitty95
    MissKitty95 Member Posts: 786

I feel the new layouts/ looks make the game look slightly worst the maps just look empty, no foliage just random boxes in a field with trees lol

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

The lighting they made for the Mac rework is pretty bland and uninteresting. The textures look great, but I feel like the lighting and ambience were specifically made to make the screenshots look good but in-game it feels off and underwhelming.

• Rex3
    Rex3 Member Posts: 87

I knew something seemed off. I was wondering why everything looked the same.

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559
    edited October 2020

I think it looks ugly. Also has terrible hatchet collision on a number of the newer assets.

And about the trees: Those broken off branches are characteristic of conifers like white pines, but the foliage on those trees is definitely deciduous.

It's like someone came in and said, "let's make things look nice" while forgetting about gameplay, accuracy, performance, and overall sensibility. There's no need for all the weird detail on the undersides of certain objects; the fun part about DbD is the anticipation of the killer-survivor interaction and the killer-survivor interaction itself. The aesthetics need to facilitate that and not stand out on their own (which they do) without regard to the core of the game.

• RockoRango

So many people agree because they DO look the same.

I see lots of assets being reused (specifically some walls, very long grass, etc.) and nothing but a dark grey map instead of what usually has a light-dark blue color palette/correction and appropriate lighting to go with it. Those were a lot more pleasing to the eye than what they are now, as well as it being easier to see in general.

• Xbob42
    Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,117

I absolutely despise lazy color tints to give anything "identity." Comes from years of hating 360/PS3-era games and their piss filters, I guess. I'd much rather they added color to the objects in the map, rather than OOOH BLUE FOG.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

Each realm has their own obstacles (mainly see at loops): factory tools (MacMillan); vehicles (Autoheaven); ect

Each realm has their own walls visual

Each map has their own main building, which cant really tell the realm but the specific map

Almost every realm has the same grass, tree, plant (except Spirit realm with bamboo, Slinger with dense bush & cactus)

So if you stand at a deadzone (without loops, wall, main building), the only thing left are those plants. Here is where the realms look the same.

For me, they need to give each realm difference plants set.