The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Are the Devs underestimating Object of obsession?

Zeus
Zeus Member Posts: 2,112

From what I see, the main reason they are not planning to change object is because of the stats and escape rates of survivors who use them. But there's more to it than that.

1. Obvious one. It is incredibly powerful with SWF. 100% information on one team at the cost of 25% of the other. Definitely not fair. But I'll leave it at that. It's clear at this point.

2. I used to run object of obsession as a solo player at red ranks and I can tell you that the information I get for just looking at the killer's direction is really impressive. I feel safe with object of obsession because if the killers are good, THEY WONT CHASE YOU. They ignore you until they have to chase which is good for me because I can sit on a gen and track killer movement at the same time. The killer will be in a chase and he doesn't have time to look at me but I know exactly where he is and what pallets he's breaking, again giving you a sense of safety.

3. It destroys low TR and trap killers. Again, obvious.

4. If killer is coming towards me, I can always run left, look away to cut aura connection and then double back and run right. Works all the time unless the killer has LOS. And the headstart I get is massive even if the killer has LOS. I start running when he is more than 32m away from the killer. Remember that the killer catches up to you almost 8x faster when you are stationary when compared to how fast be catches up while running (considering the relative velocity is 4.6 when you are stationary. 4.4 is even worse).

5. Stealth killers/undetectable perks are NOT a counter to object. If I run object and spine chill and if spine chill is active, the only thing I need to know is which direction he is coming from. I can look around and if object of obsession icon glows, the run the other direction after looking away. Or we have sprint burst to just run away the other direction.

Im not attacking the Devs here. I respect them and I have to agree they did a pretty good job so far (no pun intended). I'm just stating the obvious and lesser known things you can do with object and why it's stronger than people realise.

Comments

• Iceyrawr
    Iceyrawr Member Posts: 122
    edited October 2020

They are just bias towards survivors.

Dev can say all the fancy words about how they aren't survivor sided,

but if they really isn't, OoO won't last for 4 **ing years without any change.

• Customapple0
    Customapple0 Member Posts: 629

It only really negatively affects Trapper & Hag. All the other killers are fine and it’s just a minor annoyance.

if you have issues with it you can use blindness-inducing addons, Third Seal, and perks that make you undetectable.

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104

i bet they know its broken they just don't want to nerf it because the only reason would be its too strong in a swf which is something they would rather not go into. sure the OoO dies a lot but thats because its necessary to get ride of them or your at a massive disadvantage.

• Zeus

That's what I thought as well. The reason I'm asking for a nerf to object is not because of how strong it is with SWF but because of how strong it can be for a solo user which is overlooked by many including the devs. It feels like running wallhacks. And against freddy/oblivious status YOU ARE running wallhacks.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627

my guess about the stats is, that people just try it, don't know how to play it and just die because they simply give the killer too much information without taking advantage on the information on their side. That's what I see 80% of the time. Like when they try the Laurie adept and never used the perk before.

• Uncharted
    Uncharted Member Posts: 136

Why did they use the escape rate as a reason not to nerf it? When were escape rates the deciding factor in changing and balancing perks?

• Withered8
    Withered8 Member Posts: 1,241

Personally i find OoO of a minor annoyance if even. The only real killers it hurts are trapper and hag, which maybe something should be done with that but the base perk isn't that bad.

Often it actually tells me which gens survivors are on and helps fast and mobile killers.

There are far worse survivor and killer perks which need adressing, rather than all these people jumping on the hate OoO bandwagon etc.

• Zeus

Perks like what? I can't think of any other perk except DS. I have no idea what perk can be as oppressive and game breaking to certain killers as object of obsession is.

• Mushy_Peas
    Mushy_Peas Member Posts: 10

"The escape rate with it isn't very high"

Sure, the people using it don't get out, but their three teammates do. There's your problem. More often than not, this one perk lets one player sacrifice themselves for about 3 other escapes.

But the behind-the-scenes stats won't tell you THAT. Hence why they aren't always very reliable to use as a balancing tool.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

The same damn thing with myers.

Kill and pickrate is fine so they don't buff him even though he's really outdated and outmatched by other killers