Why is it bad to stand directly under the hook?

I played a game before as the doctor and had a really hard time catching a survivor, when I finally hooked him I stood under the hook to make sure he couldn’t escape. Some of the other survivors tried to rescue him and I managed to grab them whilst they were unhooking him.

When the game finished I got a lot of nasty messages in the chat box, so bad that I can’t repeat most of it. They also said that I can’t stand under the hook.

Is it really that bad? Why are people so rude about a game?

Comments

• batax90
    batax90 Member Posts: 879

Its not bad you use a tactic to make you win. Its just in the survivor rule book after each hook the killer need to run on the other side of the map and you need to ignore all survivor that are close to him.

Honestly the only rule you need to use when you play are those 3

1- make sure you have fun

2- kill them all with whatever tactic you like

3- survive with whatever tactic you like

That mean if you need to run noed run noed or if you need to trow another survivor on the killer because you are tired of getting chase then trow him

• Lagoni
    Lagoni Member Posts: 180

Basically, camping (which is when you stay at the hook to disallow the other players from saving) is the equivalent of a kid "taking the ball, and going home". It's seen as toxic behavior, just like spouting obscenities in the post game chat.

You are telling a player in the game "I decide, that you can't play anymore". This is often quite successful against solo queues, because everyone tends to just crouch around doing nothing (not doing gens) or getting impatient, and running up to get killed, like in your game.

On the flipside, if the survivors see that the killer is camping, they can get 3 free gens done, which in many situations will make the killer loose (unless the survivors 3-gen themselves).

As I see it, I sort of understand, when people just kill themselves on the hook when getting camped, because it's not fun using your valuable free time to just spam the space bar. On the other hand, I never suicide, because it ruins the game for everyone else.

I don't know where I'm going with this. Camping is sort of bullying, but you are free to do so, and will 100% never get banned for it, even though a lot of players "report" you for it.

• Xbob42
    Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,117

Survivors don't like it because it makes it difficult to save the person on the hook. What the survivors can do is realize that there's more than one of them and if you're hitting/grabbing one of them, another can easily make the save.

Unfortunately, most survivors just want to be able to rush in solo, grab the person off the hook, and be done with it.

It's not a very exciting strat, but you're perfectly welcome to use it. The survivors cannot tell you how to play.

• HommeBizarre
    HommeBizarre Member Posts: 410

There's nothing wrong with camping...

What do you think would have happened if you weren't camping that particular game?

• Antrapace
    Antrapace Member Posts: 253

Thanks, pretty sure they would have saved him. I use nobody escapes death though so that usually helps get 1 of them at the end even if they have full health :)

• Axe
    Axe Member Posts: 1,060

You sound like you got outplayed then got salty over it. You literally admit on facecamping, like did you really expect survivors to be happy over it?

No there is nothing wrong with camping and the survivors should have played better to be honest but dont act all confused over salty messages when you are camping my guy.

I camp,slug or tunnel when I am losing control over my games and I dont expect survivors to be happy over it either

Also dont chase someone you have a hard time catching, you are just gonna waste a lot of time, search for a weaklink instead and deal with them first

• Antrapace

I get outplayed most games, that’s why I was happy to catch one for once, gets annoying after a while

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Because how would you feel in that situation? It's just about the cruellest thing a killer can do - losing the game deliberately just to make sure you kill 1 person. Its also extremely lazy as well as rude, and it cements that you will never get better as a player.

Facecamping is basically just robbing 4 people of a fun experience for no in-game gain. Completely miserable to go against, near-zero effort on the killers part, and no real reward for the killer to boot.

• CaptainRaider
    CaptainRaider Member Posts: 151

That’s bait.

• Antrapace

Watching 4 of them doing the victory dance at the finish line gets old real quick, if and when I get one on the hook I like to make sure I get a kill, helps with the objective rewards too for extra blood points

• MadLordJack

Except it doesn't: the game actively punishes your score for being too close to the hook.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

Try and be a little more considerate. They’re clearly still struggling with the basics, and what are the right judgement calls to make as killer.

They finally got someone on a hook after a lot of struggle, and wanted to get at least 1 kill out of the match, as any more were unlikely. At least whoever was chased probably maxed out their boldness points.

• MadLordJack

I used to be considerate, til several people I was helping along turned into some of the cruellest and most narrow-minded players I've had to see. One of them now hates my guts and I had to block them on Steam. So it's better a sharp shock now than becoming the villain of the community.