Disconnect Penalty is a good thing (When applied to the right people)

I understand a lot of people really don't like the dc penalty, but it serves a purpose that I feel is necessary. I've played about 20 or so games in the last few days, of those games, I'd say about 13 of them had at least 1 person dc. I just played a game where 2 people dc'd because they got downed, we have 2 gens left but they were butt hurt about getting downed so they dc'd. This type of mentality needs correcting if the game is to foster a healthy player environment. A lot more needs to be done, but the dc penalty is a step in the right direction WHEN it is implemented correctly, which unfortunately it is not.

Some people do get disconnected and it isn't their fault (internet cuts out, power outage, etc.) However, a lot of the time, I see people getting downed and dc'ing or going to Narnia, which is a choice that the player makes, not a server problem.

I hope Bhvr can, in time, find a working solution for penalizing people who intentionally dc while also ignoring the people who get disconnected from the server due to circumstances beyond their control.

I'd love to hear others thoughts on the system as it is currently as I know many people will have a different experience and opinion from mine. ☺️

Comments

• BugsGalore
    BugsGalore Member Posts: 57

If there weren't crashing issues, it would be a great implement. right now there's a bug that will disconnect you entirely if you hit a certain survivor.

• CornHub
    CornHub Member Posts: 1,864

Finally someone who sees the positives. I'm tired of "I don't like an actual challenge, therefore I'm entitled to d/c" posts. The penalty system only harshly effects people who d/c regularly or just have extraordinarily bad internet.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,247

In the last week I've personally had a 40 minute game where 2 remaining survivors hid and wouldn't touch gens, and a game against a speed hacker who could flashlight blind me for 15+ seconds at a time instantly. The client crashes often enough with certain hardware that friends have been locked out for hours. Disconnects are a symptom of a larger problem. You don't treat symptoms to fix anything in any field. You treat root causes, and the devs aren't really doing that here. I strongly disagree with the d/c penalty. Now people who want out just AFK or point at the hook. But at least they aren't d/c'ing I guess?

• Buttercake
    Buttercake Member Posts: 1,652

Go to Narnia? What does it mean?

• JordanMalicious
    JordanMalicious Member Posts: 383

I'd disagree, but it sounds like you're on PC. I play on console. My experiences have been vastly different than yours. Most of the dc's I see are immediately after a survivor is downed or hooked, or they locker dc to Narnia. Symptoms need to be addressed before the root cause can be weeded out. They are addressing the symptom of dc'ing to hopefully dissuade people from doing it. It is unfortunate if your or your friends client keeps crashing, but I've never once had my game close on console or crash due to connection, so again, my experiences differ wildly from yours.

People who are angry so they dc do need to be reprimanded otherwise it'll just keep happening. Bhvr does however need to tweak it a bunch, it sucks if you don't intentionally dc and you still get a 5+ minute ban period though, I get that.

• JordanMalicious

As an aside, symptomatic treatment is a thing that exists.

• JordanMalicious

When you jump in a locker and dc. Sometimes it is referred to as "going to Narnia" or some combination of similar words 😅

• Slashstreetboy
    Slashstreetboy Member Posts: 1,811

I agree, but I´d imagine it´s very hard to distinguish between "legit" and deliberate DCs. At least the hacker-forced penaltys seem to have died down, so that´s good.

They should also address the method of bypassing the DC penalty promoted by a certain Fog Whisperer and his buddies on stream. Many people were exposed to this thanks to him so it might become more of a problem.

• potoo3
    potoo3 Member Posts: 13

Lol thats funny! I like that name.

Btw, I agree with your opinion. I also used to play a game that displayed your DC ratio for everybody in the lobby. They also rewarded people with low DC ratio with cool badges :)