Why do people hate Deathslinger so much?

Options

I want to know, personally he just needs some tweaking with numbers.

Comments

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

Because he is the ultimate chase killer. A good Slinger trumps literally anything the survivor can do with extreme efficiency, leaving the survivors with no real option in a chase but drop pallets and hope. And that's without mentioning the fact that quickscoping and projectile speed means he is always a threat because you cannot react to a shot if you're within about 10m, and that limit is assuming you're a pro esports player on stimulants. It is a limitation of human physiology.

I love Slinger, I think he's one of the strongest killers in the game and I enjoy playing him more than almost all the rest, but I don't think that's healthy gameplay to put players in unwinnable situations as the norm.

• TheButcher6641
    TheButcher6641 Member Posts: 252
    Options

I quite like him actually. He looks good, his perks are good and his power is fun and useful. I don't understand why anybody would hate him? I get it if you don't like him but he's not that bad that anybody should despise him with a passion.

• Bullettimegod
    Bullettimegod Member Posts: 994
    Options

Because. Survivors fun is more important than killers fun. Look at all the spirit nerfs and nurse nerfs. Look at the survs perks. Look at killer buffs. Look at killer perk nerfs. Look at surv perk nerfs.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398
    Options

And there it is, the killer main with 0 empathy or understanding of the other side coming in to save the day.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398
    Options

Uninteractive to the extreme to the point where survivor skill doesn't matter in the slightest if the killer knows how to aim a gun in an FPS. Instantaneous abilities that have no clue of any kind to help you as survivor to react or make any kind of counterplay opportunity. Why wouldn't survivors hate a killer that does this?

I love playing him too, I think he's the 4th/5th best killer in the game but oh do I despise playing against him. Nothing you learn while playing him can translate to learning to play against him either. Knowing you can shoot people with no time for them to react and get free downs doesn't exactly help you when you're playing survivor.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789
    edited October 2020
    Options

Playing against deathslinger is like you're the bot in a single player game for the killer player. It's entirely down to the killer how the game goes down; there's no interaction that makes chases feel meaningful or fun. They removed this issue from Executioner, (honestly, the mindgame potential with him now is insane for both sides so it's really fun interaction for killer and survivor) so I look forward to Deathslinger getting the same thing.

I'd even suggest a change that ends up being a net mega buff:

-Fix his TR volume or change it altogether; it's cheap;

-Make him 115% (Partially in line with TR)

-Remove quickscoping but give him better ADS sensitivity for flicks, etc.

There. All of a sudden, you can actually 'juke' him but a good DS will be able to dominate just like the Huntress. And his map pressure would massively increase. 2 in 1; increased interactivity and he'd feel better to play as.

• Demogordon_Ramsay
    Demogordon_Ramsay Member Posts: 1,503
    Options

For the exact same reason everyone hated old Legion, except now he has a gun.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803
    Options

Because there’s really not much you can do in a chase against him? Windows are unsafe, many pallets are unsafe, he’s stealthy, he can hit you from range, the struggle against the chain gives the illusion that there’s something you can do to escape but unless the DS ######### up there isn’t, he’s exceptionally good at camping. If you can’t see why survivor players would hate a killer like that then I don’t really know what to tell you.

• Axe
    Axe Member Posts: 1,060
    edited October 2020
    Options

Legion with a range attack. Mending is dull and non-interactive. Certain addons can make some loops useless. his ADS is to fast and even if you pre drop pallet he can still hit you like Huntress... also his a less skilled Huntress. Also you should only drop pallets against him while injured cause he have such an easy time getting survivors injured. Anyone who have a good chunk of hours on any FPS game like CS, PUBG, R6 will perfrom very well from him. I am happy they actually added an killer that are fit for FPS players but he need adjustments

• CornHub
    CornHub Member Posts: 1,864
    Options

Extremely well at chases since he can not only injure you, but pull you towards him depending on your placement. His tiny hit-box stops being a huge detriment as he can still hit crouched survivors behind windows and certain loops. He's not S+ tier though

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,080
    Options

It's because people want to be able to dodge his spear like they can dodge Huntress hatchets, but forget his spear does no damage by itself and breaking the chain can never down you. Deathslinger was designed with the main counterplay to his gun being breaking the chain rather than dodging his shots.

• OctaviusK
    OctaviusK Member Posts: 125
    Options
  • Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,080
    Options

I don't find it that difficult to break the chain as it is. I know there was a bug recently that makes it so survivors can't strafe when speared which should get fixed asap if it's not already fixed.

• DaKnight
    DaKnight Member Posts: 720
    Options

Huntress is way more fun to go against than deathslinger, because you are given the opportunity to dodge the hatchets. A good huntress will still probably land it, but there's still at least something you can do. Slinger is almost the equivalent of being chased by a huntress with a fully charged hatchet at all times, he just can't down you over pallets with it.

The huntress one-two combo is only applicable if she closes the distance on you, and with the lullaby it's easy to tell when she is nearby. Only spine chill will save you from getting jumped by the slinger in many cases.

Playing vs him I feel more like a target in someone's FPS game than a survivor running from a serial killer. I'm not sure I would call him OP, but he is a snoozefest to face when your best option is to hide from him and rush gens. Same with any of the other killers who have been made way too strong in the 1v1.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

Case in point, this boils down to "I want to be able to see him about to shoot and dodge it." Followed by calling it a "snoozefest".

• RocketPenguin
    RocketPenguin Member Posts: 374
    Options

There are lots of killers that are good in 1v1's that people enjoy.

Fun is based on interactivity not strength.

Same reason killer hate DS unbreakable combo, what are you supposed to do?

• hillbillyclaudmain69
    hillbillyclaudmain69 Member Posts: 1,528
    Options

Spirit is balanced rn.

The nurse nerf didn't really affect her basekit from what I can see, and I main her.

• Bullettimegod
    Bullettimegod Member Posts: 994
    Options

Okay. (:

Spirit sure is balance. Survs finally have "info" after 4 nerfs.

Nurse nerf slows her down. Punish new players way more. And not to mention the bugs.

• hillbillyclaudmain69
    hillbillyclaudmain69 Member Posts: 1,528
    Options

Dude, I main nurse. I did learn her after the nerf though, so I don't have experience on how she was like before. And the spirit "nerf" wasnt really a nerf. It opens up mindgame opportunities, since the survivors can only hear you every three seconds or so.And bugs arent intentional nerfs, so there's no use mentioning them. And this game should be balanced around high tier play. Nurse is still the best killer in the game, she takes more skill now, and the devs could nerf her again and that wouldn't change.

• DaKnight
    DaKnight Member Posts: 720
    Options

And what's wrong with that? Pretty much every other killer in the game has clear counterplay, and gives the survivor the ability to outplay their opponent. Huntress ranged attacks have a clear indicator they will be used, same with demogorgon, same with pyramid head. Nurse ranged attacks can be juked by players who are familiar with her blink charge times. The only two killers I feel like give the survivor absolutely nothing to do are the deathslinger and the spirit. Oni to an extent if your team feeds him blood fury.

Pyramid head got changed because getting feathered to death by someone faking the attack is cheap, and it's still a mechanic very present within deathslinger. I'd be alot more OK with him if he wasn't able to keep spamming ADS while chasing you.

• freddymybae
    freddymybae Member Posts: 613
    Options

hes bad but survivors gonna cry

• Leachy_Jr
    Leachy_Jr Member Posts: 2,137
    Options

Huntress has a clear indicator when they have the availability to be used, not when they WILL be used.

You cannot make something like a deathslinger shot reactable to as survivors will just dodge it 100% of the time. That's just absurd.

You can still dodge a deathslinger as long as you predict correctly, similar to a TL wall.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

Counterplay to Deathslinger exists, just not dodging. You can move in such a way as to maximize the chance Deathslinger will miss and make tactical decisions on when or when not to drop pallets early against him, how to use obstacles to hinder his reeling, where to crouch to reduce his field of view on you, etc. A player who doesn’t do these things is easier to hit and down, hence players who do them are using tactics to lessen the i pact of Deathslinger’s ability, i.e. counterplay.

Whether or not you enjoy facing Deathslinger personally is totally subjective, that’s on you. But don’t confuse “can’t dodge an attack” with “no counterplay”.