The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

German Translation

JoLo
JoLo Member Posts: 108
edited October 2018 in General Discussions

The german translation of the game is very incorrect and not lore related. For example the ultra rare offering of the Spirit is called like "The glasses of a father" in german.
Also many many many add-ons, offerings and perks are not updated to their actual effect.
The translators just don't know the game and can't translate it correctly.

I would really appreciate if the translators would look into every text again or if I just could tell you how it would be a decent translation.

Comments

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

I would offer myself to translate it. But not for free.
    Never understood the people who do this job for free.

• DeadByFlashlight
    DeadByFlashlight Member Posts: 1,642

Thats why I play all games on english

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

you should check out the clowns bloody weapon in the german translation xD
    they ######### up and translated "Butterfly" with the animal instead of the knife xD

• ChesterTheMolester
    ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
    Yeah the german version makes me wonder if they just picked a few canadian people from the street that had a german dictionary around.
  • JoLo

I would do it for free. I know the lore and am a quite good translator. The background stories of the characters are well done surprisingly...

• It's not only that, but falsly translated perks, for example "Borrowed Time", the english description says clearly that only the unhooked gets the bleed out timer, in the german translation its literally "...you and the unhooked...", which caused alot of frustration on my fellow german mates.

also the Brand new part description in german is an almost entirely different effect, that should be looked into it. I can live with a shabby lore translation, but these two examples are directly affecting gameplay.
  • JoLo

Yes. I didn't say it clearly: The translation doesn't only affect lore: It affects gameplay of players who are not looking into the wiki a lot.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,522

@ChesterTheMolester said:
    Yeah the german version makes me wonder if they just picked a few canadian people from the street that had a german dictionary around.

No, they're actually German.

The thing to keep in mind is that translators are often not given context, just a list of strings. That's why a lot of time it just seems a little off. You can't just translate 1:1 most of the time, and without context, some of the finer details get lost.

• JoLo

In fact that is a huge amount of fine details :/

• RSB
    RSB Member Posts: 2,258

In my language they translated "Game" from the perk "Small Game" to "play". This is horrific, that's why I play almost every game in English.

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948
    edited March 2019

@Peanits Yeah that's true, maybe it is better if the devs are picking people from the community helping to translate that better. I can offer my help, my German -> English translation isn't the best but my English -> German translation skills are pretty good (if I can say that by myself).

And I wouldn't even want like 1k $ or so, I would already appreciate some extra BP or cosmetic for my work.

• scerckan
    scerckan Member Posts: 149

canadian guy with a german dictionary will be like...

This discussion has been closed.