Why do people hate Ghostface?

I noticed that in a recent discussion about which killers people hate facing, Ghostie was listed by a lot of people, and I'm curious as to why? He's not incredibly difficult to deal with, at least in my opinion.

As a Ghostface main, the tried and true tactic against him is just "hold w" and looping. If it's about his "totally working" reveal mechanic, then yeah - I get that. Bugs aside, I think he's a decently balanced killer.

Comments

• NomiNomad
    NomiNomad Member Posts: 3,178

I do agree with most of your post, but the Survivor doesn't need to face him at all - just the camera. Other than that, yeah - revealing sucks for both sides. There have been times I've been looking directly at a GF and he never gets revealed, and playing as Ghostface where I'll get revealed and nobodies nearby. It needs some fine tuning.

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    SCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416

As a Ghost Face main myself, its almost 100% the fact his reveal acts like a real ######### sometimes.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

I dislike that his power seems extremely inconsistent. I can be staring him right in the eyes and not knock him out of it sometimes (and thus get exposed). Other times I will have him in my peripheral vision and somehow I'm knocking him out of it. I think he needs a tweak or a rework as currently it is really hard to deal with him since I have no idea where to look.

• Golden_spider
    Golden_spider Member Posts: 587

Night Shroud is going Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs about every other Faceghost match.

Had matches where I easily reveal him constantly/ducked behind cover to prevent reveal numerous times.

Then the OTHER matches where the game thinks every object is a literal jungle gym wall at every angle/every object is see through apparently.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,120

He can make you exposed by staring at you, 99 you so that later he can just tap his stealth on for a second and expose you, and he can turn off his terror radius and red stain any time. Also his revealing effect is super inconsistent. Him and Meyers are the reason I have to run Spine Chill on every single survivor, and I don't like being locked into perk choices.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

He’s just really ######### annoying. Breaking him out is pointless because they all run recovery add ons, and breaking him out is also difficult a lot of the time, but it’s also necessary because a killer having no TR and no red stain with an all black outfit is reasonably strong, especially if you’re not on comms with your team. Tier 1 Myers gets no red stain and no TR but he’s slow, loud and much more visible than GF, plus once he gets out of tier 1 he can’t go back. GF has no such drawbacks (not that I’m saying he should, just that letting him stay cloaked and not trying to break him out is a bad idea).

Plus, most GF’s play hit and run playstyle which is not that fun for me personally. YMMV. I also dislike scratched mirror Myers for the same reason.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

1) the reveal mechanic, I don't really need to go into more detail on that point

2) like a mix of Myers and pig with none of their charm

3) I get teabagged enough playing killer thanks

4) being 99 lean-stalked from afar then insta-exposed and hit when up close is annoying. Yes it's a good play by them but still annoying

5) "the ghost face"

6) not stalking is even worse, thankfully that nonsense tru3 popularised seems to have faded out, but don't think I don't remember it

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

I don't know anyone who hates him tbh

• JinSime
    JinSime Member Posts: 405

In don't hate Ghost Face, but have no love for him either. Most of the GF I've been against just stealth camped at some distance and hard tunneled if they couldn't get the rescuer right away for any reason.

Besides, he is not revealed sometimes even if you keep looking at him...

I'd rather go against Myers.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,904

Its the busted reveal mechanic. I've seen him get so many free downs because of it. No fun facing a killer like that.

• Golden_spider

The drawback of Night Shroud is that you're entire power (The crouching albeit fun isn't particularly useful by itself) can be stopped by a Survivor for iirc 30 seconds base, which means Faceghost becomes a M1 Killer that has nothing to help him if he didn't get to pop a mark off before being revealed.

Had a match where I revealed a Faceghost like 7 times when he was stalking someone else, he barely got to actually successfully down people with marks because I denied him so many opportunities so he had to M1 instead while generators were getting done.

• xenotimebong

Yeah if you have one guy running around revealing him whenever he goes into Shroud, it’s not a problem. That’s not really a thing that happens to me in solo queue, lol.

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699

Thank you , you basically summed up everything I hate about this killer. If I had the opportunity to choose which killer we should get rid of, it would be Ghostface.

• Golden_spider

Or just be alert on generators when you see someone running in the nearby tiles, which was about half of the reveals I got on him in Solo.

• CashelP14

I quite like him. His revealing mechanic can be extremely annoying at times but he's one of the very few killers that can actually scare me in this game.

He makes working on gens quite tense at times which I really like.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,771

yeah uh, you can see my reasoning above and i think the final point should make it clear why he's my least favourite and not just one of my "ugh, this guy again"s.

• xenotimebong

Sounds like it was a pretty inexperienced Ghost Face, to be honest.

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,832

his reveal mechanic is very buggy, and he can get really boring because his power is essentially just stealth

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

I ghostface main and I find that's he completely unpredictable. Can be brilliant, can be bullied. His reveal mechanic is broken. I got broke out of NS last game by a survivor working on the far side of a gen. How can the survivor look at me through moving parts of machinery?

As for playing against, he's good fun as he is only 1 of 3 jump scare killers. Again, breaking him out of NS in completely inconsistent.

• CashelP14

I didn't see that before. I can definitely understand why you hate him more than just a "he's not fun to face".

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781

Probably because his reveal mechanic is horrible for both sides.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

This.... a thousand times this. I wouldn't mind him if he worked right.

• NomiNomad
    NomiNomad Member Posts: 3,178

The big things I've noticed at his power being buggy as #########, which yeah - he is - a lot of tunneling and camping Ghostface's. That, and the dreaded t-bag. These are all pretty valid reasons, we all have killers we tie to tunneling and camping (Hag and goddamn Freddy). Personally, the only time I ever T-Bag is if I'm memeing and I just T-Bag the entire game, not just to survivors, or if someone DC's the second I down them.

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274

I want to like Ghost Face very badly. For me, he's right on the cusp of being really neat to play against and that makes his problems feel even more aggravating.

But his inconsistent reveal mechanic is extremely frustrating to play around. Plus his strongest add-on combo is double-recovery so that he can more easily "99" survivors with stalking to almost immediately 1-tap them with the Mark mechanic.

He feels randomly pitiful or oppressive just like Pig's RBTs due to how goofily his Shroud/Reveal mechanics work, except that that's his whole power and he can use it more than 4 times in a match.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

Meh he's a joke. Reveal mechanic barely works, he has no chase power or anything fun. He's just so dull and boring, but also fun to laugh at because he's so busted.

• NoelleMina
    NoelleMina Member Posts: 638

Don’t hate Ghostface, but the ability he has which enables him to crouch, and hide during loops made him a toughie. To me at least, it was a little frustrating.

Recently, I bought Ghostface and started playing as him.

He’s a guilty pleasure now.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135

Aside from the reveal mechanic, I think his power is just really easy to use for how strong it is. Being able to drop your Terror Radius and red stain on command is a big deal, and with cooldown add-ons he can be in stealth for the majority of the game. He ends up being a noob-stomper since weaker players rely on the Terror Radius for a warning, so he often gets insta-downs for free.

• ByNWR
    ByNWR Member Posts: 32

Ghostface is usually hated by PC players who are used to having a Deadly Nurse. They won't have a killer below that level. To us console players, Ghostface is great, because there is so much we can do with any killer.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Personally, it's a mixture of his broken reveal mechanic and the fact that every Ghostface I go against just hardcore tunnels, using Night Shroud while walking away to make it seem like they've left before waiting nearby.

• OrangeJack
    OrangeJack Member Posts: 464
    edited November 2020

People complain about his reveal mechanic but his power is already so weak compared to other killers that I don't think the revealing him is that vital.

Stealth at high rank games gets you some free hits in early game.

Imagine IF you could depower spirit just by looking at her

Post edited by OrangeJack on
  • tak47888
    tak47888 Member Posts: 125

Super boring Killer to play as and super boring to face. Like most of the M1 killers. I can't understand how people can main this guy cause his playstyle is just so...basic.

• DwightFairfield
    DwightFairfield Member Posts: 1,246

there's nothing wrong with ghostface, say for the way his power is used by killers, topping off their stalk meters and having immunity to stealth breaks when hiding behind small objects and corn is obnoxious, and the survivor has to physically look at him, rather than the camera.

Ghostface is fine, his power is unique if not unoriginal, and he's got a good variety of cosmetics.

However the way he is typically played leaves a sour taste in survivor's mouths when his power can be exploited.

T-bag Ghostfaces, however, are the greatest killer besides Demogorgon mains

• TatsuiChiyo
    TatsuiChiyo Member Posts: 700

For me it's more an annoyance at how inconsistent the revealing feels. Times I break him out from a mile away looking between vault spaces, other times I'm stroking his mask luke we are the romantic leads about to kiss in a Hallmark film amd nothing.

I've also heard he's more toxic, but that's more of a player thing. Not the dudes fault he can tbag, and I find it funny Survivors get annoyed at a Killer who tbags.