Are these builds only Red Ranks?

So there are plenty of posts about the DS/UB etc and Undying/Ruin/Tinkerer builds and how they are in every match. My question is, does this only happen in red ranks mostly?

I'm not a red rank and I don't really have a desire to be either. I honestly don't play enough between rank resets to get there so I usually hover in green for that reason. I don't see these builds on either side at all.

I know this may be due to not playing every single day for copious amounts of hours.

Thoughts?

Comments

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

I suppose that there's just a higher chance to encounter those perk builds at red ranks,but it's definetely possible to see these builds in other ranks too.It's just less likely

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,476

It happens in red/purple ranks generally more in red ranks

• Kalinikta
    Kalinikta Member Posts: 709

@KissingxToast the answer is simple, the people that reach red ranks are more likely to have the option to run any perk combination they want, as they own it and they tend to be more focused on the best options available, assume the best is used against them and as a result use the best options in return, aka the creation of a meta. As a result you see more meta gameplay at red ranks.

• KissingxToast
    KissingxToast Member Posts: 30

I mean obviously there's a chance all depending on who you own and have perks unlocked on. I would think purple would be close to red ranks, seeing them more than just occasionally, but it is severely prevalent in red ranks.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

seen as those builds usually carry their user all the way to the red ranks, yeah you wont encounter them a whole lot further down the ranks.

• KissingxToast

But if they use them to get to red ranks, shouldn't you see them more in at least green & purple?

I'm legitimately always shocked when someone dead hards, DS's, UB or even BT. I can attest to this because I think I've been saved with BT maybe a handful of times or seen someone get up from dying state.

• JesseJH28
    JesseJH28 Member Posts: 483

I would say yes. Though I definitely see DS and UB paired in green and purple ranks more than ruin, undying, and/or tinkerer personally

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

well, due to the power these builds can give players you will rarely ever see them in low ranks (unless matchmaking hates you ofc).

the only time you should realistically see them in lower ranks would be around the time of rank reset / when the player just unlocked the perks and/or just started running them.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    edited November 2020

The chances are greater at higher ranks but you have to remember, rank means nothing in this game. Players with 3k hours could have come back from a long break and they are back at rank 20 but they still have they're meta builds. I've seen rank 20 survivors run DS+UB+DH+Adren. It can happen at any rank but the higher up you go the more often you will run into it.

As killer I've come back from a long break. I deranked to like 16. When I get into a match I'm running maxed perks and I crush the new people. Then I say "Sry, came back from a long break. Not in my proper bracket yet"

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,147

I'm at red for killer and I never run this build. The build way too Rng for it to be good. 2 hexes that can be gone quickly.

• KissingxToast

If it isn't that good in your opinion, why is it run so often? Often enough it gets numerous complaint posts.

I'm sure you're still an amazing killer without these perks, so why don't more Killers do what you do?

• KissingxToast

Again, guys, this of course is from my experience and there will be differing experiences. I'm asking is it the Majority?

I honestly don't know how many non red ranks respond in these forums, but the posts about these meta perks seem to mostly come from Red ranks. Which aligns with my experience.

Just curious is all.

• Phaeris
    Phaeris Member Posts: 77

Because as a killer in red ranks not running those ruin and undying almost guarantees gens go in 5 mins.

I actually hate having to run it in games.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

and when we bring this issue to light survivor mains say "duhhhh just apply pressure". Well a lot of killers lack the mobility or chase ending powers to effectively do that.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Powerful, simple, easy-to-use builds carry players up the ranking system because, well, it's ever so slightly broken, so they are a lot more common in red ranks.

• TripleSteal
    TripleSteal Member Posts: 1,298

Undying/ruin/tinkerer is only common for killers with high mobility, mainly blight and hillbilly, so this kit is not THAT popular. Ruin/undying by themselves though appear in 30 to 40% of my matches (I play quite a lot recently, so the sample of matches is large enough for the numbers to be reliable).

DS is used by 80-90% of players, unbreakable - by about 30%. Second most popular perk after DS is in fact not UB - it is BT followed closely by DH.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,147
    edited November 2020

People gotta relies on something. Whether it be a survivor or a killer. I slug alot as Doctor and keep a lockdown on 3 gens. I do get losses against teams still.

• KissingxToast

DS is used by 80-90% of players? That seems awfully high to me. What makes you say this? I'm curious.

• KissingxToast

I agree it is not as simple as pressure gens more. Low mobility killers can traverse the map and check every gen and not find anyone until 2 gens already pop. That's in certain ranks, where the survivors actually hop on gens straightaway and they are all on different ones. If they have anything to speed up gen progress it's closer to 3 gens, especially on someone like Trapper who needs setup time.

Not all survivor mains are biased 😊

• DaKnight
    DaKnight Member Posts: 720

I'd say it's probably more like 40%. It's very uncommon to have a lobby of red/purple ranks without at least 2 DS. But in-game you basically have to play like all 4 people have it so it may as well be 100%. Sometimes all 4 people DO have it, especially if it's a tryhard SWF.

• KissingxToast

Now that seems much more reasonable. I also see quite a few killers who don't play like everyone has DS, hence the post because I'm not in red ranks, I'm green/purple and I rarely see it or killers playing around it. I have seen in red ranks if there is no obsession, they seem to go really hard because they know there is no DS.

• TripleSteal

Ugh, just... observations? I thought that's what the thread was asking.

• KissingxToast

It is from observation, but 80-90% doesn't sound like observation but more like someone who hates DS. Which is absolutely fine, but not really objective.

Thanks for your input nonetheless.

• TripleSteal

What

I don't have any specific emotional artitude towards DS (besides the fact that I'm using it myself). It is just an extremely common perk.

Not quite sure what lead you to the weird assumption of yours.