Anti-Gen perks are the only ones that matter

gatsby
gatsby Member Posts: 2,533

As a Rank 1 Killer, the only perks that really determine the outcome of a game are gen slowdown and gen tracking perks.

Perks like Enduring, Spirit Fury, Brutal Strength, Bamboozle, I’m All Ears, Monitor and Abuse, Nurse’s Calling, Infectious Fright and even Sloppy Butcher just don’t pay off.

It kind of sucks that Killers have to be on top of gens and devoting most of their perk slots to them because it means they can’t have perks to help them get downs. So the role has a Catch 22 for lower skill Killers because they need help with their chases BUT bringing perks to help with chase pretty much guarantees a gen rush.

Comments

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

I'm predicting some bias survivor main is going to read this and say "Just apply pressure"

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,615

Idk man, Make Your Choice saves me a LOT of chase time.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082

Not entirely if you're a good Nurse or Oni and can down people quickly then you don't need all gen defense perks.

• TripleSteal
    TripleSteal Member Posts: 1,298
    edited November 2020

Infectious fright, bbq, stbfl, enduring, m&a, sloppy, nurses, stridor are tier1 perks for specific killers.

If they do not work for you, it's because you are either playing killers that do not benefit from such perks, or they don't fit your playstyle (nothing wrong with that).

• Slashstreetboy
    Slashstreetboy Member Posts: 1,811

I usually take 1 gen perk and maybe corrupt on top and I main the lowest tier Killers (Myers, Trapper, Clown) at rank 1. What you claim just doesn´t hold true except for the rare case you verse one of the extraordinarily skilled, tourney level super sweat squads.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458
    edited November 2020

I agree by in large that this is the state of the Meta. The superstars (and we all know who they are) seem able to bring nearly any Perks they want (or no Perks) and get results. I just don't think they are a healthy way of determining the new normal. I consider Perks that either slow down the Gen-Rush or help me track Generator progress to be mandatory in my builds too. I lay the blame of the current Meta at the feet of the SWF. Their 5th Perk (Comms) makes it nearly impossible to balance things, at least not without strangling the poor Solo Survivors.

I've said time and time again, that Solo and Team need to be two different Ques, and I expect there are many Players that would be in both, sometimes playing as a Team with their friends, and sometimes doing Solo. They key thing is that the Team Que could be balanced separately without Perks, i.e. by adding an additional Generator requirement to power the Gates, and/or unlocking a 5th Perk for the Killers taking them on. Having this kind of additional, NON-PERK solution would allow Killers to relax and go for broader builds. It would even allow for a tweak and rewrite of some of those more oppressive Perks.

I'm a pragmatist and feel this is the only solution, long term, to the issue. But I am also certain that it will be the very last thing tried. We will have to be dragged kicking and screaming into it. :)

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,482

meh I prefer bbq, + 3 choice perks or bbq + 2 choice perks + must have killer perk (stridor on spirit, stbfl on demo ect)

having 4 gen or slowdown perks just sounds boring

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

I respectfully disagree.

Being able to end chases fast absolutely counts towards game stall just as effectively as direct gen stall perks, because the less survivors forced to be doing something other than gens, the better.

I’m almost ALWAYS doing a build around Coulrophobia and Mangled. Currently it’s Coulrophobia, Sloppy Butcher, Forced Penance, and Deerstalker. And I slug super regularly. I want at least ONE survivor down on the ground at all times, because that keeps at least TWO other survivors occupied: one to assist the slug, one in a chase.

But why the build? Because subsequent chases against injured survivors are even FASTER, making slugging create even MORE pressure and gen stall. Making it difficult for survivors to heal or assist each other, or stopping them from healing at all, compliments this goal.

I’m not invalidating the claim that direct gen stall builds work. I’m contesting that they’re the only way to win.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,246
    edited November 2020

If you're really experienced, then yeah, 4 gen defense perks are the way to go. But a lot of killers can't track without perks or need that little bit of oomph in a chase from some perks. Really depends on the killer to be honest. Nurse with Corrupt/Ruin/Undying/Tinkerer is hilariously powerful in public matches. Beyond overkill, but it's an option.

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529

I wouldnt say generator perks are the only way as killer, but I do agree that they are the easiest way. They are kinda like 2nd chance perks for survivors in that regard.

• gatsby
    gatsby Member Posts: 2,533

Basically because Second Chance Perks and Anti-Gen perks can undo a bunch of progress and stall the game by large amounts.