Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

How did even people play dbd back in 2016?

rabldong
rabldong Member Posts: 91
edited November 2020 in General Discussions
Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Chilli_man2400
    Chilli_man2400 Member Posts: 2,893

I don’t know?

• BillyMain77
    BillyMain77 Member Posts: 415

Cause there were real killers back then. Sweating for them 4ks not like today where the game is probably more balanced than most killers would like to imagine but still wanna complain about perks and to many pallets ect.

Go back to playing in them days where you really would get looped for 5 minutes on a single loop

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    edited November 2020

Word on the grapevine is a whole lot of drugs and spite.

No, seriously though, from what I've seen and been told, people were just way more chill back then. I used to watch DbD content when it came out and "looping" was mostly what we now call "holding W and instadropping pallets." Gens didn't really fly by that much. Nurses sucked. All the broken toys were there, it was just taken way less seriously.

However, I am (or was) an outside observer, so find the largest boulder of salt you can and take it as you read this.

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529

KIllers also had pretty strong stuff back in 2016.

Moris without hooking, 5/6 blink Nurse, machine gun build, legit instanthatchets and chainsaws,

It was pretty wild, you know.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,096

2 pallets AND 2 windows at jungle gyms, pallet and window vacuuming, no bloodlust, no entity blocker? I don't know how survivors ever went down.

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    SCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416

For me the game wasn't as competitive. Given the monster imbalance I just saw it more as a casual party game than anything. For other people though the answer was Nurse, she was essentially god given form.

• Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 2,003

2016 DBD was so much fun.

It was totally unbalanced, but that went in both directions.

• KettleWettle
    KettleWettle Member Posts: 149
    edited November 2020

Post edited by KettleWettle on
  • Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255
    edited November 2020

You definitely had to play differently. Nowadays you will catch a survivor eventually if you stay in chase with him. You commit to a chase back then and you got punished. In that sense killer is much easier today.

The game was mostly Hillbilly and Nurse though, where trappers shut down infinite and wraiths bing bonged and ate newbies.

Because survivors didn't need to know tiles to survive - they didn't bother learning them, and everything was slower and more deliberate.

I can say with a straight face killers complaining nowadays don't realize how easy it is for them now. Imagine a new age killer dealing with survivors fast vaulting from a complete standstill and the shack having two unblockable windows.

Oh and you couldn't regress generators either.

Edit: Oh by the way: It was peer to peer. Which means if the killer was tech savvy he could remove all corn from his client and pallets. While this was rare, you had to play around it as survivor.

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415

Wow! This is fantastic!

Prehistoric DC’s and face camping, too

I never got to play DBD back in 2016, but I can see how people could become enraged just watching this clip.

It’s hard to imagine so many players complaining about anything in the excessive manner that they do, when looking back to what it all used to play like and the tremendous progression that has been made since DBD first released.

Also, keep in mind that SWF didn’t exist back in June of 2016, so this may have been a legitimate original Solo match.

Either way, I love watching these old clips to see how the game has evolved.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,472

Double pallet double window tiles, pallets on LT walls, exhaustion perks only having cooldowns and being able to use them together, pallet density so thick you could run the killer 5 gens with just running to a pallet instantly dropping it and running to the next and not even bothering with windows. Killer Pallet break speeds of 3 seconds and vault speeds of 3 seconds while survivors vaulted in around 0.3 and had very lenient fast vault window.

Man how I wish there was a legacy version of this game that we could play

• jotaro
    jotaro Member Posts: 173

it was about skill back then, now killers have everything handed on a plate.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Most people didn't know about or use broken exploits like infinite loops. Once those became mainstream, everything went to #########.

• Callmehandsome
    Callmehandsome Member Posts: 529
    edited November 2020

I played back in 2016 and i started as a killer main, now when survivors are weaker i actually turned survivor main. Back then survivors barely repaired generators, it was not uncommon that nobody touched generators for several minutes and most survivors just tried to taunt you most of the game, eventually they made too many mistakes and you snowballed from them. Survivors back then were actually trash compared to today, it was not uncommon that i could catch some of them at literal infinite when you did simple double backs. Average Survivor today would have been god back then lmao.

But i also quit playing killer for few months because the game was generally so frustrating and unbalanced. When killers got 0ks survivors often talked on forums that killing is not winning, but pipping. "You pipped you have nothing to complain abaut". Now this idea has been thrown out of the window because killers generally get more kills

The game was dying quickly araund december 2016 because nobody wanted to play killer, solo survivor queques were sometimes 30 minutes at high ranks and SWF queque even over 45 minutes when i played with friends. After that devs gave killer quite a lot of buffs to killers to recover the playerbase, but then slowly started reverting them again.

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001

I didn't play when the game came out, but using OhTofu's words, they were nicer back then and they had an honor code, not to abuse broken stuff as much.

Most people played against each other unlike now so they had a friendship going, also trapper supposedly was the strongest back then since he did prevented infinites.

• Ihatelife
    Ihatelife Member Posts: 5,069

Back in time, where BHVR didn't prioritize the cash grab techs... Ah miss these times...It was so fun back then

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,018

The beta had a really cool grab animation if you happened to grab a survivor from behind, I miss it but it was really long

• musefan
    musefan Member Posts: 345

Removing that awful background music was the best feature the devs ever released!

• Justalittlepeeck
    Justalittlepeeck Member Posts: 1,101

That's one of the reasons Nurse got spammed so hard for last years.

• Axe
    Axe Member Posts: 1,060

90% of the playerbase had 0 clue what was going on, pallet looping wasnt a huge thing back then, barley anyone knew about infinity looping or tiles. The game was a hide n seek fiesta

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

A rank 19 trapper Vs a rank 1 meg, I guess some things never change

• Artick
    Artick Member Posts: 623
    edited November 2020

Because killers actually played the game instead of complaining about every single damn thing. Don't get me wrong, their complains would have been 100% justified back in 2016. But now? Just get good already and accept the game does not revolve around you.

• Cosmin262
    Cosmin262 Member Posts: 117

God the game was so much fun back then,as killer and survivor,no matter the infinites.no sweating for 4k,survivors doing other things than holding m1 for 1 min.Honestly back then I would play killer to have fun,not get gen rushed or looped till daylight,even with the infinites.

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662

There was so many pallets no one even thought about looping and better preserving pallets!

• SquirrelKnight
    SquirrelKnight Member Posts: 951

I remember my first game back then. 4 survivors just running from infinite to infinite. Even then i believed i had wasted money, after a year or two things had gotten better but not for long