Why is the leave button still in the game?

NomiNomad
NomiNomad Member Posts: 3,178
edited November 2020 in General Discussions

So, DC penalties are a big thing right now. It's a surprise if I don't see at least one "dC pEnAlTy BaD" post a day, and when the penalties AREN'T on, you get the same amount of "DC's ruin the game" posts. I personally think the DC penalties are good, but I've been wondering why the Leave Game button is even still here if they don't want people to DC. It wouldn't stop people if they REALLY wanted to, but it'd make them have to close and restart the game, and get the penalty it might ward some people off. Idk, I just think it's weird to have it still in the game if you don't want people to DC.

Edit: I see now it's important, even if there is a penalty. As many have pointed out, yes, we can't force people to stay in the game for a couple of reasons. That's my bad.

Post edited by NomiNomad on

Comments

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

I think it's just to tease people tbh lol

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

It's there to not be forced to shut down the game if you get stuck due to bugs or other problems game might face that would result in getting stuck or unable to finish the match.

What it's not there for is to be abused to leave every time you don't like map/killer/perk other side is using.

Just because a buttom to leave a match exists doesn't mean devs want to leave matches whenever you want. DC penalties exist to punish those who abuse it to quit extensively.

• Killbutton
    Killbutton Member Posts: 87
  • supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,510
    edited November 2020

Does it have any difference from just closing the game? (From what ive noticed it doesn't)

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415

I’d love to know the truth to this question.

If it doesn’t, then it’s a slight convenience for the players who leave due to bugs (seems like that number shouldn’t be nearly as high as non-bug related intentional disconnects) and an easy out for those players who, for personal reasons, refuse to continue the match and DC using the Leave Match feature.

The “selfish” DC numbers have to outweigh the legit bug-leave numbers, right?

If the feature isn’t any different than closing the game, then there is room there for exploring the possibility of minimizing intentional, non-bug related DC’s even further by removing the instant and conveient “Leave Match” option all together.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

I feel it shouldn't be there give people the idea to use it when they mad.

• BassTram
    BassTram Member Posts: 195

It surprises me how many people complain about the DC penalty when you can easily ######### on first hook and it doesn't penalize you. Honestly (more for killer) there are some games I get into where I want to DC but if you just let the game play out you at least get some bloodpoints out of it which is enough for me to stay in all my games

• Deadlock
    Deadlock Member Posts: 215

I think the leave button makes sense. Say a bug happens and you get stuck. To the survivors you just left the game. So its nice you can talk to them.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

For the same reason that suiciding leaves DC penalties pointless, unfair glitch punishment: The Devs don't think things through.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,311

Even games that take leaving games in progress even more seriously than DBD (like the ones designed for full-on esports from the ground up) still have a way for people to leave. Might warn players that it will incur a penalty, but it's usually still there.

Because sometimes people genuinely do have to go for unexpected reasons. And when situations like that arise, being expected to close the entire application or leaving yourself standing in-game AFK leaves a pretty weird impression.

• Jorasly
    Jorasly Member Posts: 9

You've got to be joking. Are you so arrogant as to think you have thought about the DBD features more than the people creating and running the game?

It's not as simple as take away the leave button, people stop leaving. The devs obviously left it there because they know there can be legitimate reasons for not wanting to stay in a game.

The incremental DC penalities are for repeat offenders who have bad manners and can't play a game through unless it goes their way. Just because that penalty exists doesn't mean the devs have no sympathy for people who might have a legitimate reason.

• Ramxenoc445
    Ramxenoc445 Member Posts: 1,358

This is such a weird post.. It needs to do be there. If I actually need to leave then I'll leave the game. Would be really weird to not have it there. From a game functionality point. Just give a warning to it before they click the confirm to leave

• cheetocultleader
    cheetocultleader Member Posts: 1,259

Life happens, sometimes you gotta exit and shut everything down quick. If I can just AFK and give hooks at least I will, but I can think of plenty of things that may take priority.

• JohnnyCSmash
    JohnnyCSmash Member Posts: 4

If people want to dc they're gonna do it. I don't think removing the button would make any real impact on people dc'ing. I don't even understand what the real problem is, deal with it and move on, there are a lot more players out there.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022
    edited November 2020

Yet you're punished for using it. 200 IQ logic right there. There at least needs to be a certain amount of strikes against a player that leaves a match prematurely before the ban timer kicks in, which resets weekly.

• jzinsky
    jzinsky Member Posts: 112

I asked about this some time ago. The general consensus was so dcers didn't have to pull a plug iirc

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

There is a minimum number of DC's before you're punished for DCing. Source: I had to DC twice in one day (Internet went out and had a small emergency at home) and didn't get any penalty the first time. I'm not sure about the second because I was away for too long to notice.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398
  • MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,939

I mean, if it's an Emergency I won't even bother pressing Escape "leave Match". In an Emergency I'll just rip off my headset and stay afk in the Match. It's actually worse to use the leave match option in that scenario.

• Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Member Posts: 608
    edited November 2020

You are still punished for it. I didn't get to avoid a cooldown when I got put in a match as hag where I could NOT use my power at all.

I also played against a killer who had the same bug and DC'd for the very same reason. In his case he was a nurse though so it was worse.

• Orion

Unless your life is in immediate danger, the 1 second it'll take to click on "Leave Match" won't make a difference.

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

Ive been questioning the leave match button since i started. All it does it make people think its ok to dc.

Legit reasons to DC do exist. But for me, anytime I have had to i either just went afk or for bigger things i just shut the whole system down.

Leaving that button is like putting a wallet with money on the side of the road with an id in it. Its wrong to steal but give many people the temptation to do so and they will.

Removing the button wont have an effect on legit dcs, but could actually lessen the rage quits when it takes longer to reboot the game then finishing the match

• Justalittlepeeck
    Justalittlepeeck Member Posts: 1,101

The penalty basically exists only to punish OVERUSING the leave button, not simply using it. Yeah, 1st leave punishment doesn't make much sense, but 5 minutes isn't that to mind that honestly

• musefan
    musefan Member Posts: 345

Because its safer for the game to handle that, then the user force closing the game.

The game can at least do some background actions that way. For example, log that the user purposefully left the game.

• Hamburgerlar
    Hamburgerlar Member Posts: 58
    edited November 2020

If I need to leave the house in a rush. I would prob need the feature. Sometimes family comes first so it's inconvenient when things do appear. However you can't just get rid of the option. All you've done is make me have to alt f4 instead.

You seem salty

• cloudface
    cloudface Member Posts: 93

Wow, so many people repeating the same couple of opinions over and over and over in slightly different ways...but be it "don't wanna keep playing", "can't keep playing", "life emergency", "legit reasons" etc yada yada there is another option guys...come to the dark side-go AFK...YES AFK, brohahaha...maybe just try it one time-for poops n giggles-or to see if your ego tying your self importance and game playing abilities to your user name can survive the gut wrenching indignity of other players/opponents thinking mean things about your user name or doing awful things to your game character while you're away.

You'll still get bp and xp and you never know, it might not be as bad as you've imagined...plus no DC penalties-most times if you AFK the time the game takes to end won't be much longer than than the first/second DC penalty...it's the ideology that rank is really important and people will think/say mean things about you that'll be the main stumbling block to coming over to the dark side and going AFK..

• Orion

Are you going to be the one to pay my electric bill from leaving the PC on if I have to leave?

• Hamburgerlar
    Hamburgerlar Member Posts: 58

I kind of just like to die on hook thing seems fairly safe and quick. No ban for trying to escape hook. I know the killer won't care.

Whoever started this post thank you I just come to conclusion that there was another option besides leaving

• cloudface
    cloudface Member Posts: 93

😂

K, define "leave". If you mean physically leave the location of your PC just alt tab or shut down in task manager or simply turn your PC off.

Game with killer AFK takes around 10-15 minutes max if you AFK and a lot less if you're survivor.

I've been broke af a lot of times in my life and am a lifelong cheapskate that hates waste in general but I've never worried about a possible maximum of 15 minutes electricity wasted by leaving a PC...especially since going AFK from the game doesn't mean you have to leave the PC location can't go watch YouTube or play solitaire or look at rebbit or waste time posting here....obviously I should get around to posting about my killer experiment where I started then went AFK for 3 hours worth of games..

• Orion

Yes, I do mean physically leave the location of my PC, possibly for hours at a time, like when I had to drive my grandmother to the hospital, and I don't see why I should have to take those extra steps when there's a perfectly functioning feature already embedded in the game. Your arbitrary timeline of 10-15 minutes isn't even slightly realistic.

• JordanMalicious
    JordanMalicious Member Posts: 383

I get what the OP is saying. I agree with their logic for the most part, it does seem redundant to have a leave button when you'll just get slapped with a DC penalty for using it. However, they probably don't see a point in removing it because people will DC either way.

I personally dislike people who DC for anything that isn't an emergency irl. Just finish the match out and take the L. Don't rage quit like a little baby because you didn't get your way.

• Orion

I disabled mine because those things also trigger if I'm watching a movie.

• Walmart
    Walmart Member Posts: 19

The button has to be there in case there is an actual emergency and you have to leave. I remember once that during a game, my cat started wailing and crying really loud and gagging, so of course I left the match because she was crying louder than I'd ever heard her and trying to get my attention. I had an emergency with my cat getting sick and had to leave, so if things randomly come up and it's an actual emergency, then there should always be an option to get out of the match, penalty or not.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,769
    edited November 2020

But clearly you should have to enable and disable it whenever you change what you're doing on your PC to make your life even more inconvenient instead of just using the pre-existing, convenient button right in the game thats already there and has been 4 years!

(/s)

• BigTimeGamer
    BigTimeGamer Member Posts: 1,752

Take out leave match? People will just Alt F4 or afk/let killer kill them

• notlonely
    notlonely Member Posts: 391

Honestly, people would still leave matches if the option was removed. Simply shutting down the game.

DC penalties are a thing that works for me. I'm a really salty person and now instead of DCing against every Freddy I find I just repair until I get hooked then I KMS.

What I mean is eliminating it won't change absolutely anything lol. They should add not players to replace leavers like in Mobile thought.